Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KHSAA Penalties against Prestonsburg.
He was very eligable that year. HE WAS NOT elgiable his senior
Not according to the KHSAA, Basketballer. What are they wrong about and why is Pburg not appealing the decision?
All the player had to do was attend summer school and everything would have been fine.. I blame this on his parents for not being more involved, they didnt seem to care about his grades till they found out he wasnt allowed to play football anymore..

No matter what the KHSAA says, Gish and all them boys know they won al those games on the field and noone can take that from them
Sorry guys, but he WAS inelligible. When a student is failing he must either sit out until he brings it up, or the exception, make them up at summer school. At Pikeville we always made them sit out until they brought the grades up, because of a fear of what would happen like with Prestonsburg.
The Godfather Wrote:Wow, this is crazy, but fair. To say the coach had no idea is bullshit. The coaches would have surely been told by the AD. Anyways, that's what P-burg gets for playing inelligible players.

So why would they play him his junior year inleligibly but then sit him his senior year? Once again makes alot alot of sense doesn't it. You like alfus, have no clue what you are talking about.
Pburg knows they won the games. Like someone stated before, the kid was no all star. Everyone knows Nick Jamerson and company carried that team in '03. I just dont see why they would even take the games away after nearly 2 years! I mean whats it matter now?
I agree.. the boys know they won those games.. they were the better team with or without him
gish Wrote:
The Godfather Wrote:Wow, this is crazy, but fair. To say the coach had no idea is bullshit. The coaches would have surely been told by the AD. Anyways, that's what P-burg gets for playing inelligible players.

So why would they play him his junior year inleligibly but then sit him his senior year? Once again makes alot alot of sense doesn't it. You like alfus, have no clue what you are talking about.

No, you see, me and alfus know the KHSAA rules.

Let me explain how this works:

If you are failing, you are supposed to sit out until you get your grades up. However, there is a loophole that P-burg found. Now, instead of not letting this kid play they thought hey it will be alright to let him play when he was technically not supposed to and he can just go to summer school and raise those grades up. Well this kid couldn't even pull off summer school so that made him inelligible during his Junior year.

Do you understand me? Under KHSAA rules, if you are failing, you can either sit out until they are brought up, or bring them up in summer school, this kid did NEITHER, therefore P-burg was playing an inelligible player that entire year.
The Godfather Wrote:
gish Wrote:

If you are failing, you are supposed to sit out until you get your grades up. However, there is a loophole that P-burg found. Now, instead of not letting this kid play they thought hey it will be alright to let him play when he was technically not supposed to and he can just go to summer school and raise those grades up. Well this kid couldn't even pull off summer school so that made him inelligible during his Junior year.

Do you understand me? Under KHSAA rules, if you are failing, you can either sit out until they are brought up, or bring them up in summer school, this kid did NEITHER, therefore P-burg was playing an inelligible player that entire year.

I figured it's not worth fighting with you, I know what went on , and well you don't. I'm done with this one.
I don't know what went on? I guess I can't read then.... :roll: What part of my story is wrong? Obviously the people at the KHSAA see it my way.
:!:
You're still not answering my questions.
gish Wrote:
The Godfather Wrote:
gish Wrote:

I figured it's not worth fighting with you, I know what went on , and well you don't. I'm done with this one.

I agree gish, He has no idea. The only people that know the truth are the ones invloved. And well, thats not him
Plain and simple, they should have sat the kid out. Rules are rules and if they are broken the school should be punished. I dont want to piss anyone off, but I think if P'burgs staff or administration knew the kid was ineligible and let him play anyway, The punishment should have been more strict like probation.
BelfryPride Wrote:Plain and simple, they should have sat the kid out. Rules are rules and if they are broken the school should be punished. I dont want to piss anyone off, but I think if P'burgs staff or administration knew the kid was ineligible and let him play anyway, The punishment should have been more strict like probation.

Thank you BP. Now, can you all please tell me what it is I don't know about the situation? What is it that me and the KHSAA don't know about? I'm not trying to put down P-burg, I just explained why they were punished the way they were.
Well here's the thing, I'm from Prestonsburg, but not associated with the team (as in never been on the team). I don't even know what really happened. I'd say the players don't even know what went on that year. Some say he was inelligible and others say he was not. Gish, however, was associated with the football team and I'm sure he knows exactly what he's talking about. If I were to believe anyone about this, it would be Gish. I honestly don't believe DeRossett knew the kid was ineligible, or the kid was given the chance to bring up his grades. As you said GF, a player has the opportunity to bring up grades in summer school before being considered inelligible. He played his Jr. year, didn't go to summer school (his choice and parents choice), therefore causing P-burg to forfeit their games. How is this punishment fair for the football team? They stayed within the bounderies, but because a player was too dumb, and the parents didn;t care enough to have their child go to summer school, they decide to punish the team. That's just a low blow if you ask me. A child's stupidity is no reason to for the parents to get their team in trouble. :evil:
The only point I'm trying to make is that coaches are REQUIRED to check up on their students grades. That is why I don't believe that this coach didn't know about it. I think what he did was tell the kid to bring them up in summer school rather than sit him out. This is a loophole in the rules. Most other schoools just sit the player out until they bring up the grades, but there is a loophole that says you can bring them up in summer school. It was a bad move the coaches part for allowing this because taking that chance is risky, and we now see why.

But to say the coach didn't know is crazy because they are required by the KHSAA and school boards to check the grades of all of their players.
The player in question was eligable his junior year. He was NOT eligable his senior year, and no he did NOT play his senior year. Prestonsburg has done nothing wrong in the case. Derrossett is not stupid, he knows not to play someone who is ineligable!! and I think this has been said before, but even when Chat Yates was transferring Coach Derrossett did not allow him to practice with the team because he knew it was not allowed, because it was against the rules of the KHSAA.. everyone can say what they want, but like gish and Basketball said, no one knows the whole story unless you were involved.
The 2003-2004 football team knows who realy won those games, it doesnt matter what the KHSAA says!
My look on this is that Coach D did not do his job completley correct nor did the administration nor did the parents and player. Also if im correct on this which i think i am Athelet/Students are still eliglibe to play in a sport IF they are not failing more than two classes so you also have to take this into consideration. If the kid was failing 3 or more classes then the child should not have been on the field. Is it totaly correct to punish the team as a whole in my eyes no but that is why football is called a team sport if one player or the coach faults the whole team goes down with he/she. The player knew what his limits were and failed to comply with the rules as well did the administration. Coach D should not totaly b at fault for this but MUST take some of the blame. From what i see he is a great coach caught in a bad scenerio. Plus this occurance should not come up after this season do to the loop hole of Summer School is now gone.
This loop hole of Summer school happened 2 years ago Slamma. It's just now being brought to everyone's attention. This is what makes this situation even more unique. If the player was ineligible at the time, then why was this not brought up at the time it happened? Instead, Coach D done the right thing and made this kid sit out a year, made the parents mad, then all this gets brought up a couple years later. That's why it doesn't make sense to me.