Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
America as a Superpower
BFritz Wrote:I wasn't even thinking but that's what I meant to, and that's not a traditional war or people shooting and killing each other.

True...I don't think anyone expected this kind of fighting. I think they expected what we got in Afghanistan...it was regular warfare, not all these IED's and car bombs.
Well after Vietnam, you'd think that we would be used to dirty tricks. Besides, the so called suicide bombers are very common in the middle east. Just ask Israel. We knew what we were getting into OR WE SURE SHOULD HAVE. I am not stating that we aren't helping Iraq, although it is tough going, but is it really our obligation to help them when we are paying for it with our soldiers' lives and taxpayer money. If that were the case, why don't we go help many of the African countries, the North Koreans, and so forth. There was really no valid reason to invade Iraq when we did. But since we are there, we might as well make the best of a bad situation and help the country. Otherwise, all the KIA's and taxpayer dollars spent will have been for nothing.

Invading was a mistake. But withdrawing would be a mistake. No need to compound the first mistake with a second mistake.
EKY Sportster Wrote:Well after Vietnam, you'd think that we would be used to dirty tricks. Besides, the so called suicide bombers are very common in the middle east. Just ask Israel. We knew what we were getting into OR WE SURE SHOULD HAVE. I am not stating that we aren't helping Iraq, although it is tough going, but is it really our obligation to help them when we are paying for it with our soldiers' lives and taxpayer money. If that were the case, why don't we go help many of the African countries, the North Koreans, and so forth. There was really no valid reason to invade Iraq when we did. But since we are there, we might as well make the best of a bad situation and help the country. Otherwise, all the KIA's and taxpayer dollars spent will have been for nothing.

Invading was a mistake. But withdrawing would be a mistake. No need to compound the first mistake with a second mistake.

Exactly. But I think it is our obligation to help them now since we pretty much leveled the country.