Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Open Job: Kentucky
I think Scott Drew is a very good coach. He is not Calipari, which is plus. However, I don't think he would be a good fit at UK.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UK is about to hire a guy with 16 seasons of 10 losses who says he cares more about winning souls than games. The fanbase is gonna lose it's ever lovin' mind... AND SHOULD!!!
(04-09-2024, 08:52 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: UK is about to hire a guy with 16 seasons of 10 losses who says he cares more about winning souls than games.  The fanbase is gonna lose it's ever lovin' mind... AND SHOULD!!!

Says the guy who said Cal's job was to make his players rich and be an ambassador for the university. I hope Drew comes and has 5 prayer meetings a week and church twice. Yessssssss!!!
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • pjdoug, rrcuppett
Big Blue Keg
@UKBlueKeg
·
31m
Sources say Scott Drew was just seen at a church in Lexington.

Developing…
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Cactus Jack
Matt Jones
@KySportsRadio
·
48m
Hurley is obviously the best coach in College Basketball

Donovan won back to back titles at a school that barely cares about Basketball

And Drew took what was one of worst 4-5 Power 5 jobs in America and won a title

I don’t see how anyone could be really upset about all three
Wildcat
@L_T_Bx
Per Pilgrim

Mitch wants Drew, boosters want him to pursue Hurley.

UConn is sweating the Kentucky talk with Hurley. They don’t want a contract in his hands because they know the money and situation would be hard for him to pass up. #BBN
9:46 PM · Apr 9, 2024
·
Views
Donovan wants the job .   According to a Pelphrey family member, Ms. D has given it her Like .    He will nearly double his salary with the move to Lexington .  Mitch wants his church buddy. Some of the boosters are in open revolt against Drew and want Billy D.  Who wins out... Barney the Bible thumper or the people with the greenback$ ?   Reading the tea leaves, it seems like they might be giving Donovan the time to decide on an exit strategy from Chicago.  Make no mistake about it, Mitch wants church boy  but fans and boosters want a hire that moves the needle and shakes the basketball world to its core.
I would love to see Billy D on the sidelines for UK
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bluecat's post:
  • Old School Hound
Middle name is Homer. Dad's name... Homer.   Believes snakes can talk and Earth is 6,000 years old.  Has 16 seasons of double digit losses,  four of the last seven seasons with 11+ losses .  One FF in 20 years ! Yeah,   I want some of that.    Dislike

[Image: https://assets.change.org/photos/2/jh/ux...1523545690]

Ellen says goodbye.   Your cookies were awesome, madame, especially the oatmeal raisin. We'll miss you. 

""Roommate"  ?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1777822479395782934
(04-10-2024, 10:23 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Middle name is Homer. Dad's name... Homer.   Believes snakes can talk and Earth is 6,000 years old.  Has 16 seasons of double digit losses,  four of the last seven seasons with 11+ losses .  One FF in 20 years !    Yeah,   I want some of that.    Dislike

[Image: https://assets.change.org/photos/2/jh/ux...1523545690]

Ellen says goodbye.   Your cookies were awesome, madame, especially the oatmeal raisin. We'll miss you. 

""Roommate"  ?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1777822479395782934

She always calls Cal her roommate
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
This was in a different thread but thought it'd maybe be a better fit to open up for discussion here:

(04-10-2024, 08:17 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Let's say Hurley , Drew, and  Donovan all decide to stay where they are.  Who are  some of your real dark horses to come of nowhere and seize the job?

Mark Pope?  Bill Self?  Jai Lucas, Richard Pitino?

That's a good question.

Another spin-off might be what *realistic* candidates you'd like to see come.

As for who OSH had mentioned, I don't see Self leaving Kansas for Kentucky-- too much of a lateral move. Jai Lucas is an interesting name but is ultimately too young and could get swallowed up by the job quickly.

I can tell you some that I'd rather NOT see: Chris Beard, Sean Miller, Shaka Smart, Rick Pitino (who I still like as a coach), Richard Pitino, and Mark Pope. Different reasons for each of those, but the most obvious reason is probably a safe default assumption.

Still think that it's likely that UK could make a real run at Nate Oats if they needed to circle back and were willing to pay.

Would be on the fence about Mark Few but think that Kentucky could lure him from Spokane, especially given some of the things that just went down at the Women's NCAA Tournament that Gonzaga was hosting. He's had some good players, but I think Jalen Suggs (2020-21) is the only Top 10 player he's ever signed (at least out of high school). Know Wiltjer was a McDonald's All American and transferred in, but he's mostly relied on foreign players and early evaluation of recruits in building his rosters and he wouldn't have to do that at Kentucky. I would also worry that his best years may be behind him and that his window to win championships might have already closed.

A name I wouldn't necessarily mind is Nebraska's Fred Hoiberg. He's got experience in the professional game and has been able to win big at schools like Iowa State and Nebraska, and he's the type that I could see really taking off if he were in the driver's seat at a Kentucky. One of the biggest knocks on him might be that, at least at Iowa State, he took some chances on fringe type kids that might of caught a case or left their first stop under less than ideal circumstances, but he wouldn't have to take those types of chances at a Kentucky. He was born in Lincoln, Nebraska and played collegiately at Iowa State & left his alma mater for a job with the Chicago Bulls.

If not one of those, maybe someone with ties to the program who is currently a professional assistant but feels stuck in a rut and wants their own fingerprints on everything? A mad-scientist type who is running through D2 or mid-major competition with an innovative system?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cactus Jack's post:
  • Old School Hound
Apparently, Drew was given an offer and he and family are gonna pray about it tonight(I'm not kidding!) . Hopefully, God delivers him a loud , "HELL NO, DO NOT GO !!!"
(04-11-2024, 03:34 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Apparently, Drew was given an offer and he and family are gonna pray about it tonight(I'm not kidding!) .  Hopefully, God delivers him a loud , "HELL NO, DO NOT GO !!!"

Why would anybody think you are kidding? Prayer is a very common practice among the billions of Christians all around the world.
Good for him, hope he gets clarity. By all accounts he is a very fine man.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • rookie57
Tyler Lippert
@t_lippert16
·
3h
Dear Lord Baby Jesus in a tuxedo shirt… please let Scott Drew wake up in the morning and feel the need to help the great people of Kentucky and lead their basketball program back to the promise land.
Scott Drew last 5 years
128-35
9-3 NCAA tournament
1 national championship

John Calipari last 5 years
105-52
1-3 NCAA tournament
I still think that UK can make another run at Nate Oats and he'd come.

But some other names to throw around:

TJ Otzelberger, Iowa State:
High buyout and would have to take him from his home state

Fred Hoiberg, Nebraska:
See my last post

Grant McCasland, Texas Tech:
Former Baylor assistant and North Texas head coach

Chris Beard, Ole Miss:
I don't know, but I hope not unless the accusations are demonstrably false

Bruce Pearl, Auburn:
We could do much worse

Kelllen Sampson, Houston:
Houston assistant, son of head coach Kelvin Sampson... very, very unlikely
(04-11-2024, 12:37 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: I still think that UK can make another run at Nate Oats and he'd come.

But some other names to throw around:

TJ Otzelberger, Iowa State:
High buyout and would have to take him from his home state

Fred Hoiberg, Nebraska:
See my last post

Grant McCasland, Texas Tech:
Former Baylor assistant and North Texas head coach

Chris Beard, Ole Miss:
I don't know, but I hope not unless the accusations are demonstrably false

Bruce Pearl, Auburn:
We could do much worse

Kelllen Sampson, Houston:
Houston assistant, son of head coach Kelvin Sampson...  very, very unlikely

You think Ricky P is a possibility CJ?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Offer to Hurley is 8 year $100 mil
(04-11-2024, 12:40 PM)Spud6 Wrote: You think Ricky P is a possibility CJ?

I'm sure he'd take it but I think we'd have to be very, very, very desperate and that walk of shame would be too much.
Bring Rick Pitino back in my 63 years more excitement during his UK tenure. Rick played the Kentucky boys Farmer, Pelphrey , Fieldhouse, Padgett, Mills etc. and was a national power. In 96 National Championship, 97 Derek Anderson injury cost him another championship, 98 National Champions a team that Rick left Tubby that was loaded. In Kentucky basketball only Rupp has a higher winning Percentage and he didn't do it with a bunch of 5 star recruits. Recruiting will not be a problem for Pitino they will come and UK will become prominent again instantly. I watched the Cal introduction to Arkansas he is the most arrogant blow bag I have ever heard. With Rick the priority will be about national championships 1st and development and promoting NBA players along the way. I have always said no blueblood on the floor no championship for UK and Reed Shepherd gave us that hope and a spirit to watch again after the disrespectful kneeling in Florida (hopefully they all are gone Barnhart should have fired him then). It would be great if Shepherd stayed another year and Perry joined him in the back court next year. GO GET RICK
[-] The following 1 user Likes cherokee's post:
  • Westside
https://x.com/mattnorlander/status/17784...RN1jq7z-4A

Dan Hurley turned us down boys after a 8 year $100 mill contract.

We doomed
#BBFL
Yep pretty much…..

Billy D. After that it’s a tier list 2. Chris Beard, Shaka Smart, Etc etc
Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong and it's probably more trivia than anything, but weren't Jeff Sheppard and Mark Pope roommates at the University of Kentucky?
UK wasting time and spending so much money going after coaches that were a hard no from the get go. Explains why the program is where it is.
Mark Pope has now entered the conversation.

If this happens I’ll never watch another Kentucky game again…
(04-11-2024, 05:45 PM)plantmanky Wrote: UK wasting time and spending so much money going after coaches that were a hard no from the get go.  Explains why the program is where it is.

It really wasn't much time or money I'd imagine.

If it ends up being someone on the "second tier" list, I'd say they'd rather not have to deal with all of the "we should have asked Billy Donovan or Dan Hurley" vitriol that them publicly turning us down would diminish.

We all know that there's a large part of the fan base that would never accept Barnhart or any administrator's word that someone like Hurley was never interested.

Donovan will take awhile to play out and someone like Pope will be there and ready to bolt anytime Kentucky asks.
Would somebody please call Bruce Pearl?
Now that Hurley is out, I would seriously wait until this time next week and make a hard run at Donovan. He can't say anything now as the NBA season is winding down. This time next week they will be eliminated from the playoffs and they see what he has to say. I would not jump to go after a 2nd tier coach like Pope until after the Bulls are out of the playoffs which will be as soon as next Tuesday and more than likely by next Friday. I would rather wait a week and then if it doesn't work those 2nd tier will still be there and would still jump at the chance you would not really be wasting anything in my opinion.
[-] The following 2 users Like 16BBall Fan's post:
  • Bluecat, Cactus Jack
(04-11-2024, 05:52 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: Mark Pope has now entered the conversation.

If this happens I’ll never watch another Kentucky game again…

You lie !   You'll watch!