Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tubby knew
dog gone that Tubby he left early because everyone was pressuring him to win.He knew he could not of done it with the team he left.So he jumped ship to leave it up to the next coach,in this case Billy da kid.but I have to say its going to be rough for a few years until we git rid of the smell of Tubby.Billy gs doing better than Tubgut anyway.all I can say is at least Tubbys gone:Cheerlead :thatsfunn :Cheerlead :Cheerlead
bluebloodedcatfan Wrote:dog gone that Tubby he left early because everyone was pressuring him to win.He knew he could not of done it with the team he left.So he jumped ship to leave it up to the next coach,in this case Billy da kid.but I have to say its going to be rough for a few years until we git rid of the smell of Tubby.Billy gs doing better than Tubgut anyway.all I can say is at least Tubbys gone:Cheerlead :thatsfunn :Cheerlead :Cheerlead
Yea you really cant judge him untill next year or the year after.
That's a pretty ignorant statement. The way Tubby acted as a coach at Kenucky and as a member of the Lexington community, and to be treated the way he was made me ashamed to be a UK fan. He averaged the 2nd most wins in the nation during his 10 year tenure at UK. He won the SEC numerous times, and won games that he was supposed to win 95% of the time. He was a great coach and an even better person at UK and he was treated poorly by the fans of UK. Tubby didn't change but parity is becoming more of a factor in College sports and he was a victom of it.
It is actually funny to see how this worked out. Yes Tubby knew that this program was heading downhill fast but he is a very smart man for getting out when he did. I think one more season with Tubby at the helm would have set the program back another two-three years. A his butt may have been gone at midseason. Right now I think that the climb up will rapidly begin to take shape toward the end of this year and into next year.
Tubby knew the fans were idiots who put signs in his yard and dogged him all over town. People begged for him to leave after the season, and he did it. Simple as that. Who cares if he knew the talent would be down? Nobody also knew Meeks and Jasper would be out for this period of time, and that Coury and Porter would be racking up the minutes (which they wouldn't with Tubby as coach)

Either way, if the fans and Barndhart(asking him to get rid of assistants or leave) call for his head he would still be here regardless of the talent level. That's just the kind of guy he was.

This season sucks, but nobody is to blame in particular. The talent isn't that great (Tubby) and the coaching is awful too (Billy G)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:Tubby knew the fans were idiots who put signs in his yard and dogged him all over town. People begged for him to leave after the season, and he did it. Simple as that. Who cares if he knew the talent would be down? Nobody also knew Meeks and Jasper would be out for this period of time, and that Coury and Porter would be racking up the minutes (which they wouldn't with Tubby as coach)

Either way, if the fans and Barndhart(asking him to get rid of assistants or leave) call for his head he would still be here regardless of the talent level. That's just the kind of guy he was.

This season sucks, but nobody is to blame in particular. The talent isn't that great (Tubby) and the coaching is awful too (Billy G)

I never have "dogged" Tubby. I was a HUGE tubby supporter while he was here. I thought that he was one of the best in-game coaches out there. AND I think that the UK fans that pulled all of the crap that you heard about on the news and in the papers should be banned from Rupp arena. However, you CAN NOT deny the fact that his recruiting patterns has left the team in shambles (with or without Meeks and Jasper). As a result, he came under fire and therefore left. Trust me man, I think it is disgusting how some UK fans act.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I never have "dogged" Tubby. I was a HUGE tubby supporter while he was here. I thought that he was one of the best in-game coaches out there. AND I think that the UK fans that pulled all of the crap that you heard about on the news and in the papers should be banned from Rupp arena. However, you CAN NOT deny the fact that his recruiting patterns has left the team in shambles (with or without Meeks and Jasper). As a result, he came under fire and therefore left. Trust me man, I think it is disgusting how some UK fans act.

I wouldn't say shambles, as he managed to win 22 games with it last year (or maybe he was just a great coach) but I agree his recruiting fell off mad after the 04 class. I said that he was in part to blame as I said "the talent isn't that great (tubby)" I just don't think it's fair at all to place all the blame on him for this.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:I wouldn't say shambles, as he managed to win 22 games with it last year (or maybe he was just a great coach) but I agree his recruiting fell off mad after the 04 class. I said that he was in part to blame as I said "the talent isn't that great (tubby)" I just don't think it's fair at all to place all the blame on him for this.

One HUGE Correlation with last years' team......... Morris. I know that many people thought that we would not miss him too much but it seems that having that inside presence last year changed many outcomes. Yes Patterson is a beast and making more of an impact than anyone else BUT he is not that true center type that morris was. That is why unless we can put another big in the low post area we will get eat up on defense. Stevenson can only contribute so much.
alfus21 Wrote:and the coaching is awful too (Billy G)

Care to explain, other than citing the 4-4 record?
ronald_reagan Wrote:Care to explain, other than citing the 4-4 record?

Sure. He never makes adjustments when needed, as in changing the offense when the defense switches to a zone. We ran the same offense over and over against GW's zone, just like we did today against UAB's 1-3-1 zone which we did not score on once the whole game. Same thing as went for the defensive side of Kentcky. I know he loves playing man to man but there are times when you have no other choice but to get out of that and play some zone. The backdoor international(Princeton) style offenses have humilated us this year. GW got 3 backdoor scores in a row and he never said a word to change it. He refuses to change his defense to match up with the offense we are facing. And I love his conditioning style, and run em' to death style but sometimes a zone defense is all you need.

He refuses to call timeouts when another team is making a run of any kind, he just continues to let teams catch up or stretch the lead. The IU game was a good example. They went on a pretty huge run, one of the announcers said Billy Gillispie will call a timeout here to get the crowd out of it and settle his team down. He never called one, and the lead stretched out even larger, the crowd got into it even more, and the team became even more frustrated on the court.

I think he has potential to be a great coach, and I know he knows and loves the game but I want to see him show it right now with this team.

I was watching some games of his last year a friend let me borrow and he's so much different now than then. He did refuse to play zone last year but he adjusted and exploited the match ups a little better, and switched his offense accordingly.

I think he has it in him, but right now it's my opinion (which means absolutely nothing) that he is doing a poor job coaching, regardless of the talent on the floor or on the bench for that matter.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:Sure. He never makes adjustments when needed, as in changing the offense when the defense switches to a zone. We ran the same offense over and over against GW's zone, just like we did today against UAB's 1-3-1 zone which we did not score on once the whole game. Same thing as went for the defensive side of Kentcky. I know he loves playing man to man but there are times when you have no other choice but to get out of that and play some zone. The backdoor international(Princeton) style offenses have humilated us this year. GW got 3 backdoor scores in a row and he never said a word to change it. He refuses to change his defense to match up with the offense we are facing. And I love his conditioning style, and run em' to death style but sometimes a zone defense is all you need.

He refuses to call timeouts when another team is making a run of any kind, he just continues to let teams catch up or stretch the lead. The IU game was a good example. They went on a pretty huge run, one of the announcers said Billy Gillispie will call a timeout here to get the crowd out of it and settle his team down. He never called one, and the lead stretched out even larger, the crowd got into it even more, and the team became even more frustrated on the court.

I think he has potential to be a great coach, and I know he knows and loves the game but I want to see him show it right now with this team.

I was watching some games of his last year a friend let me borrow and he's so much different now than then. He did refuse to play zone last year but he adjusted and exploited the match ups a little better, and switched his offense accordingly.

I think he has it in him, but right now it's my opinion (which means absolutely nothing) that he is doing a poor job coaching, regardless of the talent on the floor or on the bench for that matter.

Thats the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Zone? Kentucky? Zones are for little league. UAB stroking the 3 in a man-to-man... and you think a ZONE will fix that? Screw the backdoors... 3 in a row? What about the 28 points scored by #24 in about 15 minutes, most of which were from 4th street live.

and the 1-3-1.... it wasn't a coaching problem that cause them to exploit us. It was a passing problem. the 1-3-1 will set up corner 3's and high-lows all day long. If you don't get the ball to Patterson, it doesn't matter if you're in a 1-3-1, a 2-1-2, 2-3, man, box and chaser, triangle two... or any other idea you ight have... game over.

Alfus, we're horrible. No talent, no heart. Billy G is one heck of a coach, and has tried numerous things to try to get the best out of this team..... Go back to baseball. You're better at it...
ronald_reagan Wrote:Thats the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Zone? Kentucky? Zones are for little league. UAB stroking the 3 in a man-to-man... and you think a ZONE will fix that? Screw the backdoors... 3 in a row? What about the 28 points scored by #24 in about 15 minutes, most of which were from 4th street live.

and the 1-3-1.... it wasn't a coaching problem that cause them to exploit us. It was a passing problem. the 1-3-1 will set up corner 3's and high-lows all day long. If you don't get the ball to Patterson, it doesn't matter if you're in a 1-3-1, a 2-1-2, 2-3, man, box and chaser, triangle two... or any other idea you ight have... game over.

Alfus, we're horrible. No talent, no heart. Billy G is one heck of a coach, and has tried numerous things to try to get the best out of this team..... Go back to baseball. You're better at it...

I'm not going to argue about it, because it would probably go on forever. Truth be told both of us have an opinion and neither is going to change.

A zone probably wouldn't have mattered today because Robert Vaden put on one of the best performances I've ever seen. Even if the 1-3-1 could be exploited by the passing game (which was poor today) he still calls the plays to set up the exploitation that should have taken place.

I know we look pretty horrible, and there isn't a lot of talent but I believe we are more talented than Gardner Webb and UAB. I know he is a great coach, and as I've said I've watched games of his from last year several times and I know he is a better coach than what he is doing this year, and yes I know I know more about baseball than basketball as well Smile
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:I'm not going to argue about it, because it would probably go on forever. Truth be told both of us have an opinion and neither is going to change.

A zone probably wouldn't have mattered today because Robert Vaden put on one of the best performances I've ever seen. Even if the 1-3-1 could be exploited by the passing game (which was poor today) he still calls the plays to set up the exploitation that should have taken place.

I know we look pretty horrible, and there isn't a lot of talent but I believe we are more talented than Gardner Webb and UAB. I know he is a great coach, and as I've said I've watched games of his from last year several times and I know he is a better coach than what he is doing this year, and yes I know I know more about baseball than basketball as well Smile

Good.

But as you said, he calls the plays. He doesn't run them. He can call any play he wants.... its up to the players to execute them properly and with precision. They fail miserably at this.
Tubby left while he could.

Recruiting was poor - so if the HC didn't go it was not unreasonable to ask for changes in the staff.

Adjustments I'm sure were made, how do you know they were not?
1 - sometimes you cannot stop a guy that hits everything he throws up - it happens
2 - its jimmy and joes as well as x's and o's - Tubby brought a bunch of non-D1 players here to win "his way"

Some of you cats need to go coach at any level above midget league and you would realize some stuff.................keyboard coaches......I love'em.......................
NEXT Wrote:Adjustments I'm sure were made, how do you know they were not?
1 - sometimes you cannot stop a guy that hits everything he throws up - it happens
2 - its jimmy and joes as well as x's and o's - Tubby brought a bunch of non-D1 players here to win "his way"

:thumpsup: :thumpsup:
Also he knew he had to bring some horrible Ky players to keep his job. Carter and Stockton were 2 of them.
Alfus is right about this, Reagan dude, you are wrong as usual. Coach never makes adjustments, if he did dont you think things would go a little bit different. But like Alfus said, theres no point in arguing about it, everybody has their own opinion and mine is that this coach has no real coaching ability and has to be the dumbest coach I ever saw.
listen up Panther blunder this site is about sports {bluegrassrival}.This forum is college sports . you need to stay on the topic
[Tubby knew how much}.Nobody said anything about his community work.matter of fact the Tubster was a better person in the commun.than he could ever be a basketball coach.After he got through with Patinos boys UK went down hill ever year there after.And this would have been his worst.He would not of got Patterson. but Billy Gs there now give him a few years see what happens if he makes it.
Braves_Fan_26 Wrote:Alfus is right about this, Reagan dude, you are wrong as usual. Coach never makes adjustments, if he did dont you think things would go a little bit different. But like Alfus said, theres no point in arguing about it, everybody has their own opinion and mine is that this coach has no real coaching ability and has to be the dumbest coach I ever saw.
Thats your own opinion.
bluebloodedcatfan Wrote:dog gone that Tubby he left early because everyone was pressuring him to win.He knew he could not of done it with the team he left.So he jumped ship to leave it up to the next coach,in this case Billy da kid.but I have to say its going to be rough for a few years until we git rid of the smell of Tubby.Billy gs doing better than Tubgut anyway.all I can say is at least Tubbys gone:Cheerlead :thatsfunn

Yeah, I'm sure that Tubby had it all figured out before he "left"Rolleyes What a joke
I always liked and respected Tubby as a coach and a man, and always will. He was and is a great coach. I believe that it was just simply time for a change for both sides, and that's what we got.
Tubby did what was right for him he was a great person and coach and he is proving his coaching ability right now in Minnesota, I wish Kentucky could say they are doing as good but we are flat out pitiful and it's rediculous to blame Tubby he never knew the injuries were going to happen and he sure as heck didn't cause Legion to leave, and it's not his fault Porter is playing way way to much. Or the fact the Kentucky couldn't defend a paper bag right now.
bluebloodedcatfan Wrote:listen up Panther blunder this site is about sports {bluegrassrival}.This forum is college sports . you need to stay on the topic
[Tubby knew how much}.Nobody said anything about his community work.matter of fact the Tubster was a better person in the commun.than he could ever be a basketball coach.After he got through with Patinos boys UK went down hill ever year there after.And this would have been his worst.He would not of got Patterson. but Billy Gs there now give him a few years see what happens if he makes it.
HAHA allright. All I was saying is Tubby was a great man and a great coach. He had no rights for people like you to call for his head as they did. If everyone on here had to put up with crap like that, everyone here would have left and done it a lot less gracefully than Tubby did. He did what was for his own good and his family's well-being, how long would you have put up with what he had to?
I think we have a great coach but sorry players
Panther Thunder Wrote:HAHA allright. All I was saying is Tubby was a great man and a great coach. He had no rights for people like you to call for his head as they did. If everyone on here had to put up with crap like that, everyone here would have left and done it a lot less gracefully than Tubby did. He did what was for his own good and his family's well-being, how long would you have put up with what he had to?

good post
Tubby was under loads of scrunity(sp?) while at Kentucky and the fans wanted him out of there every day of the week and thats exactly what he did. A coach and his players can only give and do so much and in this state the "so much" that Tubby and his players were giving wasn't much and thats one of the main reasons he's at Minnesota now, also he had a lot of pressure put on him. Tubby is a great coach and wish him nothing but the best at Minnesota.
Panther Thunder Wrote:That's a pretty ignorant statement. The way Tubby acted as a coach at Kenucky and as a member of the Lexington community, and to be treated the way he was made me ashamed to be a UK fan. He averaged the 2nd most wins in the nation during his 10 year tenure at UK. He won the SEC numerous times, and won games that he was supposed to win 95% of the time. He was a great coach and an even better person at UK and he was treated poorly by the fans of UK. Tubby didn't change but parity is becoming more of a factor in College sports and he was a victom of it.

You must know nothing about basketball. How can you say he was a great coach! Tubby is a great coach at a mid-level school. Tubby coubldn't find talent if it bit him in the you know what. 80% if his players were thugs! Tubby couldn't win the big games when it counted. I don't care if he won 20 + games, how many times did he make it to the final four. He knew what he was doing this past season, he got out while he could. He put Kentucky basketball into the dumps! Thank god that we have Billy with us.
UKGIRL20 Wrote:Tubby did what was right for him he was a great person and coach and he is proving his coaching ability right now in Minnesota, I wish Kentucky could say they are doing as good but we are flat out pitiful and it's rediculous to blame Tubby he never knew the injuries were going to happen and he sure as heck didn't cause Legion to leave, and it's not his fault Porter is playing way way to much. Or the fact the Kentucky couldn't defend a paper bag right now.

I don't care how many injuries we have. We've only got 1 player that can play, that's Patterson. Meeks is ok, but no star. All these boys are Tubby's, he created this mess. I'm for one glad to see him gone!
Your insane Meeks is a heck of a player, Crawford is good and he's proven that over and over again but to some of you who are so far up Billy's butt to give him any credit. Legion was a great prospect. Jasper is a dang good point just injured which is no one's fault. Patterson is awesome no doubt, so nothing to say on that part. Jasper is the key player that is out, he's a true point and thats what we are really missing. Your crazy to say this is Tubby's fault I know for sure this team would be a heck of alot better on the defensive side of the ball if he was still coaching. They would be switching up the defensive set up's more than they do now.
Tubby was a great coach, a wonderful teacher of defense, and I always gave him credit for winning the '98 title, no matter where the players came from. But it doesn't matter how good of a coach you are if the other team always has better players, it just won't work.

The time was right for a change at UK, even if it is painful this year. Tubby had simply gotten 'burned out' on recruiting and was no longer able to land the top-shelf prospects. Can't say that I would want to go into some 17-year-old's house and beg him to come play for me either, but that's part of the job if you're a coach.

Bottom line, the change was a win-win for UK and for Tubby Smith.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]