Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike Central Head Coach Ronn Varney Resigns
(04-01-2024, 01:31 PM)Khalisimo Wrote: i guess after hearing some issues they were having the timing makes more sense

Issues in the football program or him being the fall guy for something that happened in school?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Why be so vague posting things? If you know something, why not share it instead of acting like some sort of mysterious insider.
team control issues is what I heard
I heard the qb and rb was leaving
(04-02-2024, 01:27 AM)Coach00 Wrote: I heard the qb and rb was leaving
There staying thats jus hear say
Where would they go to? Neither would play much on other county schools besides East Ridge and Phelps.
(04-02-2024, 09:05 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:
Where would they go to? Neither would play much on other county schools besides East Ridge and Phelps.

Floyd Central
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Pike Central always seems to be "in between a rock and a hard place." The rock being Pikeville, and the hard place being Belfry! Pike Central always seems to produce a lot of talent, but they always have trouble keeping it on the hill. Hopefully, they can make a good hire and keep some of the athletes they have in place.
(04-02-2024, 01:08 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: Pike Central always seems to be "in between a rock and a hard place." The rock being Pikeville, and the hard place being Belfry! Pike Central always seems to produce a lot of talent, but they always have trouble keeping it on the hill. Hopefully, they can make a good hire and keep some of the athletes they have in place.
Just got to have a coach that is willing to put the extra time in with the whole team, not just a select few.  Not sure what the issues have been up there but it seems like a rollercoaster. 

good luck to whomever gets this job.  I don’t think it will be that bad of a job with the right coach.
Very interesting place....

Very few coaches have had success:

1993-1995 - Paul May 2-28
1996-1998 Chris McNamee 14-18
1999-2001 Barry Birchfield 14-17
2002-2004 Johnny Poynter 15-17
2005-2008 Chris McNamee 16-26
2009-2013 John Chapman 30-29**
2014-2015 Larry Thacker 9-14
2016-2020 Eric Ratliff 25-30
2021-2023 Ronn Varney 10-21

**2008 PCC forfeited 8 games

vs. In County Rivals

Belfry 0-33
East Ridge/Elkhorn City 11-3
Phelps 8-4
Pikeville 0-3
Shelby Valley 11-16
(04-02-2024, 02:52 PM)Real Badman Wrote: Very interesting place....

vs. In County Rivals

Belfry 0-33
Phelps 8-4
Pikeville 0-3
Shelby Valley 11-16
Ouch. Very interesting statistics.
(04-02-2024, 03:41 PM)papabear02 Wrote:
(04-02-2024, 02:52 PM)Real Badman Wrote: Very interesting place....

vs. In County Rivals

Belfry 0-33
Phelps 8-4
Pikeville 0-3
Shelby Valley 11-16
Ouch. Very interesting statistics.

Was Mac fired both times or did he leave on his own?
#BBFL
(03-29-2024, 12:34 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Middle School Coach left/was forced out (not sure) about a month or so ago as well.  Just an interesting footnote.
That’s not true, I know bc I was the MS coach that stepped down.  I chose to step down from 7/8th grade bc my son decided he wanted to play football and will be in 4th grade.  So I decided to coach that team.  I had all intentions on coaching 7/8th with more asst coaches than I’ve had in a while, until my kid asked to hold back and play football.  That was the factor that caused me to step down.  

if we had a community that would support the coaching staff and the players we could build a great program.  But when we get pieces that are here to develop the players on and off the field it seems like we have ppl undermining and manipulating on purpose as if they don’t want the program to be successful.

I am a huge proponent of transparency or otherwise I wouldn’t have said anything on my end.
First time Mac was offered Pikeville job when he left, second time I think it was pretty much the same deal.
(04-03-2024, 10:17 AM)CoachCharles423 Wrote:
(03-29-2024, 12:34 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Middle School Coach left/was forced out (not sure) about a month or so ago as well.  Just an interesting footnote.
That’s not true, I know bc I was the MS coach that stepped down.  I chose to step down from 7/8th grade bc my son decided he wanted to play football and will be in 4th grade.  So I decided to coach that team.  I had all intentions on coaching 7/8th with more asst coaches than I’ve had in a while, until my kid asked to hold back and play football.  That was the factor that caused me to step down.  

if we had a community that would support the coaching staff and the players we could build a great program.  But when we get pieces that are here to develop the players on and off the field it seems like we have ppl undermining and manipulating on purpose as if they don’t want the program to be successful.

I am a huge proponent of transparency or otherwise I wouldn’t have said anything on my end.
Since you are close to the program, any names you been hearing about applications or hot targets?
(04-03-2024, 01:44 PM)papabear02 Wrote:
(04-03-2024, 10:17 AM)CoachCharles423 Wrote:

Since you are close to the program, any names you been hearing about applications or hot targets?
It’s weird, I’m not sure.  I’ve tried to stay out of it.  But I’ve not heard reliable sources on anything.  Not sure who would apply but I wouldn’t be shocked to hear some names of coaches that have coached at PC football before but not at the moment, at least in discussion.  I could see Shawn Thacker wanting to come back, not sure if Ratliff would (I seen a post that mentioned him but think it’s unlikely).  I could see Brad Elkins or Shane Applying (in house).  Out of house I’ve heard some interest from asst. from central KY.  I haven’t heard names.
Pike Central requires an experienced coach who can effectively manage parental involvement, ensuring they contribute positively to the program. Continuing to hire the same coaches will only yield predictable outcomes, necessitating a comprehensive overhaul. While Elkins shows promise, he requires mentorship to reach his potential as a head coach and can see him in that role in the future. Rehiring Shawn Thacker would be a significant misstep; instead, the program needs an outsider capable of instilling a winning tradition. Without such changes, the cycle of underperformance will persist.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rhino43's post:
  • CoachCharles423
(04-04-2024, 12:16 PM)Rhino43 Wrote: Pike Central requires an experienced coach who can effectively manage parental involvement, ensuring they contribute positively to the program. Continuing to hire the same coaches will only yield predictable outcomes, necessitating a comprehensive overhaul. While Elkins shows promise, he requires mentorship to reach his potential as a head coach and can see him in that role in the future. Rehiring Shawn Thacker would be a significant misstep; instead, the program needs an outsider capable of instilling a winning tradition. Without such changes, the cycle of underperformance will persist.

Who can Pike Central draw to do that though? You think they have enough draw to get a respected coach to do the things you are saying?  Cause I agree with you 100% on everything you said needs to happen.
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • CoachCharles423
(04-04-2024, 12:32 PM)Spud6 Wrote:
(04-04-2024, 12:16 PM)Rhino43 Wrote: Pike Central requires an experienced coach who can effectively manage parental involvement, ensuring they contribute positively to the program. Continuing to hire the same coaches will only yield predictable outcomes, necessitating a comprehensive overhaul. While Elkins shows promise, he requires mentorship to reach his potential as a head coach and can see him in that role in the future. Rehiring Shawn Thacker would be a significant misstep; instead, the program needs an outsider capable of instilling a winning tradition. Without such changes, the cycle of underperformance will persist.

Who can Pike Central draw to do that though? You think they have enough draw to get a respected coach to do the things you are saying?  Cause I agree with you 100% on everything you said needs to happen.
Facilities, facilities, facilities. Plus their AD is not a football guy. Never understood why they have not gotten turf yet. Do they even have a weight room and weight training class that football players are required to take? Seems like the Varney guy was a guy who the parents felt they could control. The next coach can’t be that guy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • Hawks101
Thats where the challenge lies in finding a coach from outside the area who is willing to roll up their sleeves and put in the necessary work to drive change. The current AD, in place since 1993 I believe or close to it, and that also needs replacing to facilitate a complete overhaul of the system. Regarding the turf, I heard it was offered. However, was turn down thinking the grass gave them some sort of advantage. Just what I heard, but don’t know 100%. The lack of a consistent weight program has carried on for the past two decades, without anyone making it mandatory and no winning tradition to drive that from juniors and seniors like Pikeville and Belfry. Without a strong tradition and senior leadership to push players, that improvement becomes difficult. Ultimately, the key is finding someone with the hunger and experience to lead the program effectively! It’s a big bear to to wrestle, but until that happens same ol same ol
(04-04-2024, 12:58 PM)Rhino43 Wrote: Thats where the challenge lies in finding a coach from outside the area who is willing to roll up their sleeves and put in the necessary work to drive change. The current AD, in place since 1993 I believe or close to it, and that also needs replacing to facilitate a complete overhaul of the system. Regarding the turf, I heard it was offered. However, was turn down thinking the grass gave them some sort of advantage. Just what I heard, but don’t know 100%. The lack of a consistent weight program has carried on for the past two decades, without anyone making it mandatory and no winning tradition to drive that from juniors and seniors like Pikeville and Belfry. Without a strong tradition and senior leadership to push players, that improvement becomes difficult. Ultimately, the key is finding someone with the hunger and experience to lead the program effectively!  It’s a big bear to  to wrestle, but until that happens same ol same ol

Speaking of the AD.  Has any program other than the baseball team got a new floor, bleachers, field or anything in the past 10 years.
#BBFL
Not that I’m aware of, haven't been around the program much last couple years. From what I understand he’s hardly around unless a money box from ticket sales needs collecting….. just unfortunate for the kids, it’s no wonder the justice kid and Anthony kid went to Pikeville and several others.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rhino43's post:
  • CoachCharles423
(04-04-2024, 12:41 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:

Facilities, facilities, facilities. Plus their AD is not a football guy. Never understood why they have not gotten turf yet. Do they even have a weight room and weight training class that football players are required to take? Seems like the Varney guy was a guy who the parents felt they could control. The next coach can’t be that guy.
Fair statement on facilities.  While turf is beautiful and takes away the need to paint every week, there are too many injury statistics related to turf.  However, I’d rather have a smaller indoor practice facility with turf.  If you really take care of a good grass field, like Middlesboro, it’s way better.  As far as the weight room & “Advanced PE” classes they have both of those.  Is it he curriculum and expectations set with high standards? Idk.  I do know that the guys there do want the program to succeed.  And sacrifice lots of time.  There comes a time where player discipline and behavior has to fall on the player.  I can’t say that it would even always fall on the parent bc I’ve had siblings that act completely different from each other even though they have been patented the same way.  Discipline and accountability has to be in the recipe moving forward.  And the “if this don’t happen, I’m going to Pikeville” (or insert any school here) has to stop.  I say let them go.  The culture built on entitlement is not sustainable.
(04-04-2024, 02:54 PM)Rhino43 Wrote: Not that I’m aware of, haven't been around the program much last couple years. From what I understand he’s hardly around unless a money box from ticket sales needs collecting…..  just unfortunate for the kids, it’s no wonder the justice kid and Anthony kid went to Pikeville and several others.
Trust me.  There are many community members that would love to have these kids back.  Justice, Anderson, & Anthony are three of the TOP LB’s (with super high ceilings) in the state.  They all three can be productive on the offensive side as well.  All three grew up in blue and Orange.  I personally know them all three and are all three top notch kids that would have been great leaders to help turn our program around when added to the other young talent we have in the building and in the weight room at this time.  We have some dudes that I’ve coached that are tough as nails and will continue to be difference makers on the field and in the locker room.
(04-04-2024, 08:44 PM)CoachCharles423 Wrote:
(04-04-2024, 12:41 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:

Fair statement on facilities.  While turf is beautiful and takes away the need to paint every week, there are too many injury statistics related to turf.  However, I’d rather have a smaller indoor practice facility with turf.  If you really take care of a good grass field, like Middlesboro, it’s way better.  As far as the weight room & “Advanced PE” classes they have both of those.  Is it he curriculum and expectations set with high standards? Idk.  I do know that the guys there do want the program to succeed.  And sacrifice lots of time.  There comes a time where player discipline and behavior has to fall on the player.  I can’t say that it would even always fall on the parent bc I’ve had siblings that act completely different from each other even though they have been patented the same way.  Discipline and accountability has to be in the recipe moving forward.  And the “if this don’t happen, I’m going to Pikeville” (or insert any school here) has to stop.  I say let them go.  The culture built on entitlement is not sustainable.

I agree with you on grass is better than turf and I'd say 90% of people share the same sentiment.  But the board has made it evident that they are not going to keep the field in proper order because there is pot holes all over the field that an ankle can get caught in easily.
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • CoachCharles423
I'm interested to see what coach apply. i've also heard a few different coachs out if house been interested not sure names yet
(04-04-2024, 10:47 PM)Hawks101 Wrote: I'm interested to see what coach apply. i've also heard a few different coachs out if house been interested not sure names yet

Be interesting to see who applies.  I don't see it drawing crazy named though cause of Belfry coming to their district.
#BBFL
(04-04-2024, 10:53 PM)Spud6 Wrote:
(04-04-2024, 10:47 PM)Hawks101 Wrote: I'm interested to see what coach apply. i've also heard a few different coachs out if house been interested not sure names yet

Be interesting to see who applies.  I don't see it drawing crazy named though cause of Belfry coming to their district.
Which year they comming back to district
(04-05-2024, 08:33 AM)Hawks101 Wrote:
(04-04-2024, 10:53 PM)Spud6 Wrote:

Which year they comming back to district

#BBFL
Any updates on this position? Any interviews yet?