Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Sweet 16
Does anybody on here care at all? The UK fiasco basically ruined my favorite weekend of the sports year. Again. And to add insult to injury, it’s been very much a chalk tournament, as for only the 5th time in the 45 years of seeding, the top eight all advanced. Only four of the teams seeded to advance didn’t. One was Kansas, which was no surprise, they were decimated by injuries. Baylor’s loss to Clemson was just a mild upset. No, the only two teams that really wet the bed were SEC tournament champ Auburn, and SEC tournament no-show Kentucky. (Which by the way, just gives more evidence to OSH’s stand that the SEC tournament doesn’t matter. And I know he’s mostly right when it comes to NCAA tourney success, but it matters to UK fans. That should be enough for an honest effort to win it every year).

Anyway, back to who is left. UConn has looked nearly unbeatable, but the quality of their opponents is about to get much better. Purdue has looked awfully good too. And so has Gonzaga, written off earlier this year. I’d be perfectly fine with them winning out. So, in the round of 16, the games I might actually watch are Gonzaga-Purdue, Tennessee-Creighton, Houston-Duke, and North Carolina-Alabama. My head tells me UConn, Carolina, Purdue and Marquette are making the final four. My hope is Gonzaga or Creighton, Houston or Marquette, annybody but UConn and geez, maybe Clemson. I hate that west bracket. Please, basketball gods, no UConn repeat, no Carolina title, no Tennessee or Alabama or Duke in the final four.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Cactus Jack
I will definitely be watching but could care less at this point without UK and a true Cinderella to watch make a run. I am interested in watching the girls side though. All kinds of drama and bad blood and the most exciting player in college basketball from Iowa
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
I'd be more interested and excited if Kentucky were there, but I can't pretend I won't be interested and won't watch.

For now, I'm here for Houston, as unlikely as it may be given their injuries and the fact that the officials can essentially decide to whistle them out of a game anytime they'd like.

Wouldn't mind North Carolina but also don't want them closing in on any records that Kentucky has on them either. I don't know what it is, but they just seem more tolerable to me than a UConn, Purdue, or Duke. Speaking of the Huskies, they are the best team, but I don't want to see them have an undisputed claim to the "blue blood" discussion and it's tough to keep them out with #6 coming as part of a back-to-back.

Think that this is the ACC's round to fall. Clemson and NC State should come crashing down to Earth. I will be for NC State so long as they aren't playing Houston.

Of any of the underdogs with a legit chance of winning, I don't care at all for Illinois.

Can't be for Marquette given how many times they've beaten Kentucky, and not the biggest fan of Creighton and McDermott.

Will be for Alabama but not Tennessee. We'd never hear the end of it from Vols fans whose mental gymnastics would lead to math that proves "8 = 1".

I can get behind Iowa State so long as they aren't playing Houston, NC State, Alabamaa, and possibly UNC.

That leaves being indifferent to Arizona & San Diego State and basically being for Gonzaga to come out of the Midwest by default.
Rooting for Tennessee or Houston to win it all.
Something cool that not a lot of people knows…

The khsaa owns the trademark to “sweet 16” since they started it and every year the ncaa has to pay to use it…
[-] The following 2 users Like RunItUpTheGut's post:
  • Cactus Jack, Van Hagar
Only way I would root for Tennessee is if they played team MAGA. Would root for the Iranian National team over the Vols(or Duke) TRUTH!
(03-25-2024, 06:57 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Only way I would root for Tennessee is if they played team MAGA.  Would root for the Iranian National team over the Vols(or Duke) TRUTH!

It would have to the the worst nightmare imaginable to be batsh!t crazy. Thank you Jesus for making me normal.
(03-25-2024, 07:16 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(03-25-2024, 06:57 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Only way I would root for Tennessee is if they played team MAGA.  Would root for the Iranian National team over the Vols(or Duke) TRUTH!

It would have to the the worst nightmare imaginable to be batsh!t crazy. Thank you Jesus for making me normal.

He didn't .  It was your mom and dads gonads, silly.   Smile

Also, sedition isn't normal. It's criminal.
I went the Final 4 in Arlington, TX when UConn, Florida, Wisconsin and UK played. UConn's fans were horrible!! They would get in your face and scream and cuss like idiots. Florida's fans weren't a whole lot better, but I LOVED Wisconsin. We played them in the first round that year, and most of their fans stayed and cheered for UK. I hate UConn almost as much as I hate Puke.
(03-25-2024, 08:16 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-25-2024, 07:16 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

He didn't .  It was your mom and dads gonads, silly.   Smile

Also, sedition isn't normal. It's criminal.
Also made by God, silly.
Not a good night to be a favorite unless you were THE favorite.
It was not. Alabama or Clemson in the Final Four? Seriously? But right now it just looks like the UConn Invitational. I am excited about tonight’s games, intriguing matchups all over the place.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Cactus Jack
Two seasons in a row that UCONN is just rolling people at tournament time. Oh, and I couldn't name a single one of their players.
(03-29-2024, 09:47 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Two seasons in a row that UCONN is just rolling people at tournament time. Oh, and I couldn't name a single one of their players.

Definitely looking that way. They're literally beating an Illinois team that's horrible defensively, Alabama or Clemson, and then being a win in the final away from a repeat.

The most impressive thing to me is how they've handled their road so far. I thought their bracket was going to be tougher than people might have thought given that they could have met an FAU team that was returning everyone from a Final Four last year, a rematch of last year's Final with San Diego St. in the Sweet 16, and a potential date with an Iowa State team was tops in the nation defensively and would look to pick them up 94 feet. You can only beat the teams that are in front of you, and they've crushed everyone so far.

I can name a few of their players off the top of my head, they also came into the season having lost four players from last year's team to the pros. If they're able to repeat when the only other teams who've been able to do so recently (Duke & Florida) had to bring back all of their key parts to pull it off, then we should probably get used to the idea of UConn winning many, many more titles. I don't know that Hurley leaves the college game for a pro job so soon, but that might be one of the only things that can derail the Huskies being very dominant for the next ten years or so.
Arizona ruined my bracket
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Glad Houston is much closer to their early season form than I've seen them since Tugler went down and Roberts was playing with a deep bone bruise. They are doubling up Duke right now, but their defense is going to really have to pitch some shutouts if they're going to go all the way because they are a bit limited offensively, at least compared to the other really good teams.

And not even five minutes after I post that, Shead goes down. Jesus, Houston is cursed.
(03-29-2024, 11:29 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: Glad Houston is much closer to their early season form than I've seen them since Tugler went down and Roberts was playing with a deep bone bruise. They are doubling up Duke right now, but their defense is going to really have to pitch some shutouts if they're going to go all the way because they are a bit limited offensively, at least compared to the other really good teams.

And not even five minutes after I post that, Shead goes down. Jesus, Houston is cursed.

Yep and I had Houston winning it.
#BBFL
Creighton and Tennessee is a great game as expected. Creighton up by 1 at halftime. Vescovi out for UT with the flu and two starters with 2 early fouls. Lots of ties and lead changes. Very entertaining.
Tennessee announcers fun to listen to...

https://www.991thesportsanimal.com/
(03-30-2024, 12:18 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Tennessee announcers fun to listen to...

You a Tennessee fan Jet?
#BBFL
(03-30-2024, 12:31 AM)Spud6 Wrote:

You a Tennessee fan Jet?
I am in this tournament lol. Love East Tennessee, spend lots of time there. Like Knoxville better than Lexington other than UK and Keeneland. Always root for them but never want them to beat UK in anything.

Tennessee on a 18-0 run to lead by 16.
And as usual Duke has the most unlikable d-bag in the tournament with Filipowski who gets every call but is still a whiner...
Duke and Tennessee in the final Elite 8 makes me sick
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • Cactus Jack
This tournament has been about as disgusting as one could be. Duke, Tennesse, Alabama, UConn... Thank you, Golden Calf. I'm never going to London again.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Cactus Jack
I don't know that there's an Elite Eight game that I really want to watch.

Tennessee, Purdue, Duke, or NC State will be in the final.

Alabama or Clemson will be in the Final Four. Not that I hate Alabama, they're the team I'll probably be for the rest of the way, it just doesn't feel right to see them in the Final Four-- they are more the exciting team that can beat anyone but doesn't defend and do the little things well enough to win it all.

Can't get any joy out of seeing Illinois pull an upset of UConn even if they were able to.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cactus Jack's post:
  • Van Hagar
Some people making fun of Tennessee and Purdue before the tournament started but they have more wins in the last week in postseason than Cal has in many years and their programs are above ours now.
Not to mention so is Alabama's.
(03-30-2024, 12:38 AM)jetpilot Wrote:

You a Tennessee fan Jet?
I am in this tournament lol. Love East Tennessee, spend lots of time there. Like Knoxville better than Lexington other than UK and Keeneland. Always root for them but never want them to beat UK in anything.

You and I agree on a lot of things. Not on this. While I do love most of Tennessee from a natural beauty standpoint and love travelling there, I despise Knoxville. And it has nothing to do with UT. I just find it to be an old, ugly, dreary city. I like Lexington a gazillion times better.
(03-30-2024, 05:53 AM)Van Hagar Wrote:

You a Tennessee fan Jet?

You and I agree on a lot of things. Not on this. While I do love most of Tennessee from a natural beauty standpoint and love travelling there, I despise Knoxville. And it has nothing to do with UT. I just find it to be an old, ugly, dreary city. I like Lexington a gazillion times better.
I don't mean downtown as much as the whole area around it. Lexington is about as dreary as it gets as well lol. Love the river and all the lakes around Knoxville, Lexington has none of that. Knoxville much more of a real city, nearly a million people in Knoxville metropolitan area. 10x more going on there than Lex. Also most of the places I liked in Lexington are gone now. I go there to a UK sporting event or Keeneland a couple times a year, that's it.
(03-30-2024, 01:26 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Some people making fun of Tennessee and Purdue before the tournament started but they have more wins in the last week in postseason than Cal has in many years and their programs are above ours now.

This is what CDS looks like, folks. Any psychiatrist would make that diagnosis.  You can see it in most every post.

CDS= Cal Derangement Sydrome

(03-30-2024, 05:53 AM)Van Hagar Wrote:

You a Tennessee fan Jet?

On anything of real importance to the world, except for music, you, like me,  will be hard pressed to find any common ground with him.   Smile
Tennessee, like Kentucky, has far too many people that need transported the hell out of the country. It's hard to enjoy the scenic beauty when you have so many 5 foot 5 inch uglies standing around wearing red caps and preaching hate and sedetion. These two states need a huge garbage pick up. That aside, like Van said, Knoxville is an old, ugly, dreary , piece of rocky top shit city that no one but losers would want to visit.

Now, if you want to visit a place within five hours of where we live that is beautiful , eclectic,  hip, great night life, great music scene, lots of  young , hip people who don't hate their country, great scenery, great hiking trails, a place that has it all--- Asheville, NC !!!