Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Rumors On Upcoming State Wide Redistricting
Has anyone heard or seen what this could look like next season? I have heard there will be quite a bit of movement. Spoke to someone from East Jessamine yesterday who told me East Jessamine, West Jessamine and Trinity Christian could all be moving from the 12th region to the 11th region, and would be replaced by North Laurel, South Laurel and Russell County? Anyone else hearing any kind of rumors? This would blow the northern half of the 12th region up, probably put all the teams from Mercer County and Boyle County into a single district together.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bball_fan's post:
  • Sports_fan42
i had a coach tell me that GRC is going to the 11th and Montgomery is headed to the 14th. Can anyone put validity to that
If Montgomery goes anywhere it will be the 16th with Fleming going back to the 10th.
I’d say any high school in the state of Kentucky would be chomping at the bit to get in the 14th with these teams lol
[-] The following 2 users Like Mountainparkway's post:
  • BlackAndYellow, Cactus Jack
Get Lawrence County out of the 58th district and switch Magoffin into the 58th. You drive by Johnson central and Paintsville to go play Lawrence County!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
There’s really no sense in districts anymore.
It’s more or less a participation trophy.

Make everyone play every region team once, that’s usually 15/16 games minimum and half the schedule, then just have a full region tourney. If it make you feel better, you can give first round byes or something, but just simply play the full region in the tourney.

This should have been done a long time ago

Then all the khsaa would have to figure out is how to put the closest teams in each region.

But that’s too simple
[-] The following 2 users Like RunItUpTheGut's post:
  • nedreader, Van Hagar
Agree 100%. It’s ridiculous that a team loses a district final but keeps on playing. Just do the region as a whole, like you said and seed it based on everyone’s record from playing each other once during the season. Districts have outlived their usefulness.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • RunItUpTheGut
I don't care what they do but they need to move Knox Central out of the 51st district, 1 3A school with 3 1A schools is just insanity.
(03-13-2024, 09:40 AM)GotYouInMyScope Wrote: I don't care what they do but they need to move Knox Central out of the 51st district, 1 3A school with 3 1A schools is just insanity.
54th district is the same.
(03-13-2024, 09:40 AM)GotYouInMyScope Wrote: I don't care what they do but they need to move Knox Central out of the 51st district, 1 3A school with 3 1A schools is just insanity.

School size has nothing to do with basketball or districts.

Kentucky needs to go to class basketball.

3 county/public, 3 private/independent.

Solves a whole lot of problems

Move Knox Central to the 50th with SL, Corbin, and Whitley and then move Williamsburg to the 51st with Barbourville, Lynn Camp, and Pineville.
Why have a district with Williamsburg, Lynn Camp, Pineville and Barbourville with the same regional format? You could very likely have the district winner and runner up get beat first round of region. The region should be seeded based on an RPI/schedule strength and definitely not the Cantrall system.
[-] The following 3 users Like nedreader's post:
  • Cactus Jack, RunItUpTheGut, Sports_fan42
I loathe the idea of forcing a team to play everyone in their region once.

That would destroy good mountain teams like the old Paintsville, Clay County, Harlan, Elliott County or Shelby Valley teams that needed to play tougher schedules to get ready for a run at state.

It would also hamper getting their kids more exposure.

I will say that I was initially ambivalent (at best) to the 15th's "super region", but since I've seen it in action, I actually like it.
(03-13-2024, 11:59 AM)nedreader Wrote: Why have a district with Williamsburg, Lynn Camp, Pineville and  Barbourville with the same regional format?  You could very likely have the district winner and runner up get beat first round of region.  The region should be seeded based on an RPI/schedule strength and definitely not the Cantrall system.

Some years you will have that but some years you will have those teams competing in the region. That is the beautiful thing about Kentucky a 1A can win the state tournament or a 6A/Private can win the tournament. Creating a "super region" is not the answer and doing RPI is stupid because it favors the consistently more talented teams every year. Even in Barbourville best years they are not playing a South Laurel schedule, just like Model or Frankfort isn't going to be going to the beach ball classic like Great Crossing. RPI favors and will also favor the larger school with the bigger talent pool.
The years those teams compete are few and far between. The years they’re good enough, the district they’re in won’t matter. Geographically, Pineville doesn’t make sense in this district anyway. Personally, I think the districts in the 13th are fine as they are. But, if teams are shuffled to other regions I guess they’ll have to be looked at.
(03-13-2024, 12:31 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: I loathe the idea of forcing a team to play everyone in their region once.

That would destroy good mountain teams like the old Paintsville, Clay County, Harlan, Elliott County or Shelby Valley teams that needed to play tougher schedules to get ready for a run at state.

I will say that I was initially ambivalent (at best) to the 15th's "super region", but since I've seen it in action, I actually like it.

these teams schedule 30+ games a year and only half of those would be region games. It’s not like they couldn’t schedule whoever they want the rest of the year. If you’re playing a round robin region for seeding you only play each team once. No home/away. You’d just alternate
(03-13-2024, 05:53 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: Agree 100%. It’s ridiculous that a team loses a district final but keeps on playing. Just do the region as a whole, like you said and seed it based on everyone’s record from playing each other once during the season. Districts have outlived their usefulness.

even more ridicolous is in many regions you have districts where 3-4 teams in one district would destroy the every team in all other districts but only two move on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RunItUpTheGut's post:
  • nedreader
(03-13-2024, 10:27 AM)RTruth Wrote:

that’s an entirely different can of worms. if the khsaa ever classes baseball and basketball they will never stick to 3 or 4 classes. They will go 6 and it will be identical to the football setup. Those sports would be so watered down that you’d only have to win one or two games to make it to state. 

I do think schools that are smaller 1A and 2A should just break away from the khsaa all together in those sports and have their own titles. It takes a generational type talent or good recruiting for one of those schools to compete in the other sports IMO
(03-14-2024, 01:09 AM)nedreader Wrote: The years those teams compete are few and far between.  The years they’re good enough, the district they’re in won’t matter.  Geographically, Pineville doesn’t make sense in this district anyway.  Personally, I think the districts in the 13th are fine as they are.  But, if teams are shuffled to other regions I guess they’ll have to be looked at.

id ship the Laurel counties back to the 12th and move rock and Mccreary to the 13th  Smile
(03-14-2024, 11:29 AM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote:
(03-13-2024, 12:31 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: I loathe the idea of forcing a team to play everyone in their region once.

these teams schedule 30+ games a year and only half of those would be region games. It’s not like they couldn’t schedule whoever they want the rest of the year. If you’re playing a round robin region for seeding you only play each team once. No home/away. You’d just alternate

Yea... lock in 15+ games of your schedule when you'd probably only play a maximum of eight to ten games against the rest of your region if you weren't forced to. This year's Harlan County team would have greatly benefited from having Barbourville, Lynn Camp, and OBI on the schedule.

Plus everyone else is going to be locked into games against their own region that they don't want to play, so they'll have less flexibility too.

It'd probably only do two things-- hurt the overall quality of match-ups and ensure that the Christmas-time tournaments were loaded because that'd be the only time good teams could feasibly schedule one another.

Let's also not forget about make-up games for weather cancelations and either doing trips across the region (have fun driving from Letcher County to Powell County on a Tuesday night) and getting to school/practice the next day or needing to lose a better gate for one of your weekend games to play when the travel logistics work better.

There's also a scheduling disparity for the larger regions with a larger number of teams. Some of the metro areas (where two-plus hour travel times may not be an issue) have 18+ teams.

Maybe it works if they add to the total number of games you can play in a season and make some stipulations. Example: if you could choose to forfeit regional games and play other teams instead... if you are loaded enough to make a run at state, you're still going to win the 13th-16th regardless of seed and/or there's not going to be a discernable difference in your path or who you need to beat to get there if you are the #4 or #5 seed instead of the #1 seed.

I still think it's a terrible idea to force even more games between schools who really shouldn't be playing each other anyway. But if the goal is to decrease the total number of member schools (by beating the ones no one really wants to play senseless), then it's probably a good idea. Smaller private schools at the bottom of regions will probably have trouble getting enough kids out to field a team or drop halfway through the season due to lack of players once they get tired of being injured or beaten 60+ over half their schedule.
32 districts, 8 regions,region winner and runner up advances to sweet 16,draw from the 8 winners and 8 runner up to make sweet 16 bracket
(03-14-2024, 01:45 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(03-14-2024, 11:29 AM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote:

Yea... lock in 15+ games of your schedule when you'd probably only play a maximum of eight to ten games against the rest of your region if you weren't forced to. This year's Harlan County team would have greatly benefited from having Barbourville, Lynn Camp, and OBI on the schedule.

Plus everyone else is going to be locked into games against their own region that they don't want to play, so they'll have less flexibility too.

It'd probably only do two things-- hurt the overall quality of match-ups and ensure that the Christmas-time tournaments were loaded because that'd be the only time good teams could feasibly schedule one another.

Let's also not forget about make-up games for weather cancelations and either doing trips across the region (have fun driving from Letcher County to Powell County on a Tuesday night) and getting to school/practice the next day or needing to lose a better gate for one of your weekend games to play when the travel logistics work better.

There's also a scheduling disparity for the larger regions with a larger number of teams. Some of the metro areas (where two-plus hour travel times may not be an issue) have 18+ teams.

Maybe it works if they add to the total number of games you can play in a season and make some stipulations. Example: if you could choose to forfeit regional games and play other teams instead... if you are loaded enough to make a run at state, you're still going to win the 13th-16th regardless of seed and/or there's not going to be a discernable difference in your path or who you need to beat to get there if you are the #4 or #5 seed instead of the #1 seed.

I still think it's a terrible idea to force even more games between schools who really shouldn't be playing each other anyway. But if the goal is to decrease the total number of member schools (by beating the ones no one really wants to play senseless), then it's probably a good idea. Smaller private schools at the bottom of regions will probably have trouble getting enough kids out to field a team or drop halfway through the season due to lack of players once they get tired of being injured or beaten 60+ over half their schedule.
 You mean to tell me they didn’t play teams just as bad anyways?

and if teams are choosing to forfeit then they need to remove themselves from competition. Just do a schedule with no postseason. 
how many of those bad teams slide into region anyways because their entire district is bad?
I just see no reason for districts anymore.
(03-14-2024, 11:33 AM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote:

that’s an entirely different can of worms. if the khsaa ever classes baseball and basketball they will never stick to 3 or 4 classes. They will go 6 and it will be identical to the football setup. Those sports would be so watered down that you’d only have to win one or two games to make it to state. 

I do think schools that are smaller 1A and 2A should just break away from the khsaa all together in those sports and have their own titles. It takes a generational type talent or good recruiting for one of those schools to compete in the other sports IMO
There is 3 single A teams in this years state tournament that nobody wants to play.
[-] The following 1 user Likes insideinfo's post:
  • HCS
(03-14-2024, 08:58 PM)insideinfo Wrote:
(03-14-2024, 11:33 AM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote:

There is 3 single A teams in this years state tournament that nobody wants to play.

If you want to play with the big schools, go ahead. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with having all schools play for one championship.

and nobody is going to stop you. 

but for those schools that will never even sniff a region title much less a state title, I’d be looking at doing something else.
I believe they should have Class 2A, 3A, etc at the same time of the All A. Be interesting to see and give bigger schools some high quality games.
(03-14-2024, 08:52 PM)RunItUpTheGut Wrote: You mean to tell me they didn’t play teams just as bad anyways?

and if teams are choosing to forfeit then they need to remove themselves from competition. Just do a schedule with no postseason. 
how many of those bad teams slide into region anyways because their entire district is bad?
I just see no reason for districts anymore.

That's exactly what I mean to say. Replace the weakest games on Harlan County's schedule (you can even include the 2nd district games that they were forced to play) with the round robin format and I assure you that you'll end up with a much weaker schedule, and that's even before you'd have to deal with some very real logistical factors.

Saying districts are outdated and should be eliminated is an entirely different discussion.
2 single A teams in the final 4 of the state tournament. No where but Kentucky could this happen. This is what makes the Kentucky state tournament special.
  • Sports_fan42
A single A school, and a 13th region school in the state finals. It don’t get much better than this!!! Why would anyone want to change anything. If this only happen every 50 years it’s worth the wait.
  • HCS

Pure ignorance in one post. ⬆️