Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan County vs. Corbin Updates
Nearing tip time from The Corbin Arena. 

Rematch of last year's regional opener that Corbin won 61-53. These teams met earlier this season, with the Black Bears getting a 59-53 win at Corbin High School on January 5th. 

Harlan County is undefeated in regional play this season, but is coming off of two tough games against South Laurel and Clay County that they won by 4 and 6, respectively. 

The Black Bears are led by South Carolina commit Trent Noah and guard Maddox Huff. Noah is coming off of a 43 point outing against Clay. Huff is averging over 17 ppg and made 90 of the 199 triples that he's attempted on the season, good for a 45.2% clip. 

Corbin is led in scoring by sophomore Eli Pietrowski, senior Zander Curry, senior Trey Worley, and 8th grader Ryder Atkins. The Redhounds were without injured senior Carter Stewart for stretches, but he's now back and had 14 points in the semifinal win against Knox Central. 

Keep an eye on each team's depth and foul trouble as this one progresses. This one will likey be physical, so rebounding and second chance points will be huge. 

Free throw shooting has been an issue for Corbin, as no player who has attempted more than 20 free throws this season shoots better than 67% and most key player's averages hover around the 60% mark.
Now that we've separated the 13th region wheat from the chaff, let's play some ball. I'd love to see the Hounds win but I just don't see it. Short of one high ankle sprain early in the game, I think this could be the Ursus by two or three touchdowns. Hope I'm wrong but the Hounds just don't shoot well enough from the field or the free throw line. In other words, they can't hit the broad side of Cactus Jack's barn. I think Corbin-Clay would have been a very good game. This one, I'm not so sure. Bad couple of days for Coach P, I fear. First, UT shits the bed on Saturday and now the Hounds could very well drop a deuce tonight.

Corbin showed off their brick laying talents one year ago in this spot to the tune of a 33-70 debacle. Will it be the sounds of bricks tonight or just sweet , sweet nylon for the Crimson Canines?
5-4, Corbin leads with 3:33 remaining in Q1. Game is being streamed on WYMT for those interested in watching.

Carter just picked up #2 with ~2:08 remaining in Q1. Corbin leads 10-4. Noah off to a slow start so far.

12-5, Corbin at the end of Q1. About everything that the Hounds could have hoped for from the start.

16-12, Corbin after a 5-0 Harlan County run is capped by a Huff jumper. Timeout Corbin. 6:05 remaining in the first half.

20-17, Corbin at the media timeout. Huff with a big three for the Black Bears. Corbin with a turnover that followed. Harlan ball out of the timeout. Pace is starting to pick up and Harlan's offense is starting to get into gear.

27-25, Harlan County at the half.

Big threes from Cottrell and Napier. Huff has started getting hot. Hounds getting out of sync and getting away from what got them out to an early lead.

Big for the Black Bears to survive without Carter (foul trouble) and take the momentum into the half.

35-28, Harlan after Huff and Noah open up the third with a pair of triples.

41-32, Harlan County with 3:17 to play in Q3 as we go to the media timeout.

DANGER ZONE for Corbin. They're on the ropes and bloodied. Bears may be ready to take those paws and deliver the knockout punch soon.

43-34 at the end of Q3.
50-38 near the 4:00 mark in Q4. If Corbin doesn't want their season to end, they need to do something quickly. Harlan County will have possession out of the timeout.

52-38, Harlan County at the line. This one is over.
Black Bear fans have whined and cried all weekend long and had every excuse lined up before this one ever tipped off. I’ve seen that “refs always favor Corbin” (nevermind that they are from a completely different region.) I tried to tell them, stop making yourselves look bad. Y’all probably have the best team in the region and that it would go exactly how it is. Hats off to HC. Well deserved for those kids. Their fans (for the most part), not so much.