Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A sad day for this nation...
Yesterday in Congress, the House voted on a resolution recognizing and honoring the religion of Christianity, and the tradition of Christmas. Sadly, 18 Democrats voted against or nuetral on this measure. This alone is troubling... but not nearly as troubling as what 8 of these 9 who voted AGAINST it did very recently. They voted TO HONOR Islam and its tradition of Ramadan.

This is despictable. The list is below of those who voted either against, or NOT for it. Notice the last name on the list... sound familiar? Well.. it should. He's one of Kentucky's own. Interestingly enough, Rep. Keith Ellison voted FOR the measure to honor Christmas and its traditions.... Why is this important? He's a Muslim.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316574,00.html

Voting NO:

Ackerman
Clarke
DeGette
Hastings (FL)
Lee
McDermott
Scott (VA)
Stark
Woolsey

Voting "Nuetral":
Conyers
Frank (MA)
Holt
Payne
Pence
Schakowsky
Schwartz
Wasserman Schultz
Welch (VT)
Yarmuth
Also, to make it clear.... I'm against all action by Congress on 'honoring' resolutions. Its a waste of taxpayer money, and government time.

But since they do it... it better be done with dignity. And voting against honoring the most influential man to ever walk the face of earth..... isn't exactly how to do that. Now where's the resolution marking my birthday as a Federal Holiday? Smile
Crazy...
very sad i can't say what i should i might get kicked out of BG but this is sad.
rallo316 Wrote:very sad i can't say what i should i might get kicked out of BG but this is sad.

Death to Democrats? Smile j/k

Say what you feel.. just don't use bad language.

I surely say how I feel without repurcussion.
"Christianity is so nice. Christmas is so sweet. Let it here be decreed that Christianity is nice and Christmas is sweet." Pandering. Pandering. Pandering. Period.
thecavemaster Wrote:"Christianity is so nice. Christmas is so sweet. Let it here be decreed that Christianity is nice and Christmas is sweet." Pandering. Pandering. Pandering. Period.

I semi agree. But I fully agree that you missed the point of the thread... and that you hate Christians.

Please respond to the first charge... first.

Why would anyone vote to 'honor' Islam, and then vote to dishonor Christianity.....?? :confused:

It makes no sense. But I'm sure you can explain it in detail... and make me believe. Rolleyes
thecavemaster Wrote:"Christianity is so nice. Christmas is so sweet. Let it here be decreed that Christianity is nice and Christmas is sweet." Pandering. Pandering. Pandering. Period.

Are you atheist?
vundy33 Wrote:Are you atheist?

do you have to ask? Smile

seriously though, he's not athiest....... i believe him to be buddihst, or agnostic........
[quote=ronald_reagan]do you have to ask? Smile

seriously though, he's not athiest....... i believe him to be buddihst, or agnostic........[/

9/11 was a sad day for the nation. November 22, 1963, was a sad day for the nation. The Trail of Tears were sad days for our nation. Some cockeyed, pander-pussed "Christmas is sweet" resolution? Please.
thecavemaster Wrote:[quote=ronald_reagan]do you have to ask? Smile

seriously though, he's not athiest....... i believe him to be buddihst, or agnostic........[/

9/11 was a sad day for the nation. November 22, 1963, was a sad day for the nation. The Trail of Tears were sad days for our nation. Some cockeyed, pander-pussed "Christmas is sweet" resolution? Please.

Once again, it never fails to amaze me....

How do you always miss the point of the thread, or get it, and try to change the topic.... Smile
It's totally ridicoulous that it is even considered constitutional that congress can vote weather Christmas, or any other religous holiday for that matter, should be honored. And if they deem it to not be honored? Isnt that somewhat a violation of our religous freedoms?

No, what is happening is liberals are always pulling for minority groups. In this case im not refering to race, im refering to minority religions. They're always up in arms about weather or not someone is inflicting upon someone elses religion when the religion of Christianity and it's rights are totally ignored. It sickens me.
ronald_reagan Wrote:[quote=thecavemaster]

Once again, it never fails to amaze me....

How do you always miss the point of the thread, or get it, and try to change the topic.... Smile

I changed topic? A question emerged from the vast Spiritus Mundi about belief in "god"... a question addressed to "the cavemaster." This question was answered by RR... who then proceded to lecture about staying on point and changing the topic. Of course, expected behavior does not amaze...
First off, I was raised baptist, and believe firmly in the bible and the values of Christianity, I also believe in the separation of church and state. I don't know if honoring a religion would be breaking that, but I guess some people seen it that way. I also dont think this is a sad day in our nation, I can think of many other things that have traumatized this country more than this vote. I don't see why people are so up in arms about this. We all have the right to worship how we want, so if you want to celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Ramadan or whatever, then do it. This vote wont affect my Christmas, so I really don't care.

I expect O'rielly to use this in his imaginary war on Christmas that we are having right now.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:First off, I was raised baptist, and believe firmly in the bible and the values of Christianity, I also believe in the separation of church and state. I don't know if honoring a religion would be breaking that, but I guess some people seen it that way. I also dont think this is a sad day in our nation, I can think of many other things that have traumatized this country more than this vote. I don't see why people are so up in arms about this. We all have the right to worship how we want, so if you want to celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Ramadan or whatever, then do it. This vote wont affect my Christmas, so I really don't care.

I expect O'rielly to use this in his imaginary war on Christmas that we are having right now.

How can you seperate church and state when Congress opens with prayer each morning? The supreme court as well. Where is the seperation of church and state in the constitution? Its not. Its in a letter from Jefferson to a baptist. Where was Jefferson when the constitution was written? France. What religion did Jefferson follow? None.

The point to the thread is that 9 people voted against this measure, but voted for a similiar one honoring Ramadan. Thats incredible.
ronald_reagan Wrote:How can you seperate church and state when Congress opens with prayer each morning? The supreme court as well. Where is the seperation of church and state in the constitution? Its not. Its in a letter from Jefferson to a baptist. Where was Jefferson when the constitution was written? France. What religion did Jefferson follow? None.

The point to the thread is that 9 people voted against this measure, but voted for a similiar one honoring Ramadan. Thats incredible.

lol, don't get your panties in a wad. Most people associate the separation of church and state with the first amendment which states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". I think that would apply to the vote you mentioned. If congress did vote to honor Christmas, couldn't they also vote on how we should celebrate it, or what church we should belong too? I don't care who "Honors" Christmas, I do, so does my family, and for the ones who don't, I will pray that they someday find god.

I was just responding to you getting all worked up. As long as you can still freely worship how you wish, why does that bother you?
I agree that the constitution never clearly states "Separation of church and state", and that Jeffersons "Wall of Separation" letter which he wrote to the Danbury baptist in Connecticut because they believed they where being declined rights really doesn't help clear the matter up either.

But I do believe that they should be separate, and we should be allowed to worship whoever we choose.

Which is why I really don't care about that vote, it doesn't change my beliefs.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:lol, don't get your panties in a wad. Most people associate the separation of church and state with the first amendment which states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". I think that would apply to the vote you mentioned. If congress did vote to honor Christmas, couldn't they also vote on how we should celebrate it, or what church we should belong too? I don't care who "Honors" Christmas, I do, so does my family, and for the ones who don't, I will pray that they someday find god.

I was just responding to you getting all worked up. As long as you can still freely worship how you wish, why does that bother you?

So are you saying that Christmas shouldn't be a Federal Holiday? I bet you have no problem with that do ya? Most don't, even when they say they want 'seperation'.
But to answer your questions...

Saying that Christianity is a good religion, and that Ramadan is a special period of time, is no where even CLOSE to saying that we have to follow either, worship in a certain way, belong to a certain denomination. The first amendment was created to protect the citizens of this nation from a national church.

The point of the thread.. ONCE again is...... "why did they vote AGAINST a christian resolution and NOT the islamic one?"

What is the deal with people on this site and their inability to grasp such simple concepts.

I don't care if it influences your view on it. I would have voted NO for all of them. Its just a freaking shame that some vote against it such as McDermott... because of, in his own words, 'as a protest against Bush for vetoeing the S-Chip plan". Are you kidding me?? You vote for Islamic honoring... but vote against Christmas honoring?? Although he gladly takes the day/time period off.. WITH pay.... and all because of an insurance program?????????

This is ridiculous and if you continue to disagree... its obvious that you're only 'sticking to your guns'... or don't get the point, yet again.. which wouldn't be surprising. :Thumbs:
ronald_reagan Wrote:So are you saying that Christmas shouldn't be a Federal Holiday? I bet you have no problem with that do ya? Most don't, even when they say they want 'seperation'.
But to answer your questions...

Saying that Christianity is a good religion, and that Ramadan is a special period of time, is no where even CLOSE to saying that we have to follow either, worship in a certain way, belong to a certain denomination. The first amendment was created to protect the citizens of this nation from a national church.

The point of the thread.. ONCE again is...... "why did they vote AGAINST a christian resolution and NOT the islamic one?"

What is the deal with people on this site and their inability to grasp such simple concepts.

I don't care if it influences your view on it. I would have voted NO for all of them. Its just a freaking shame that some vote against it such as McDermott... because of, in his own words, 'as a protest against Bush for vetoeing the S-Chip plan". Are you kidding me?? You vote for Islamic honoring... but vote against Christmas honoring?? Although he gladly takes the day/time period off.. WITH pay.... and all because of an insurance program?????????

This is ridiculous and if you continue to disagree... its obvious that you're only 'sticking to your guns'... or don't get the point, yet again.. which wouldn't be surprising. :Thumbs:

Why dont you write a letter to each congress member who voted and get your answers.
It's not that I dont "get the point", and im not "sticking to my guns", I just really dont care, and I dont see why other people are in such an uproar. It doesnt matter to me if people vote to honor christmas, or not, I believe in god, I believe he sent his son to die for my sins, and i will celebrate christmas, and it doesnt matter if a congress member voted to honor ramadan over christmas. This is all just another BS propaganda twist from fox on thier phony "war on christmas". This is a perfect example

"The Republican lawmaker told Fox News Wednesday that he was motivated to push the resolution to honor the real reason behind Christmas and because of liberal activists and "secularists in the country who are trying to eradicate Christ from Christmas.”

http://www.christianpost.com/article/200...istmas.htm

You mentioned that 9 people voted against the resolution, but you failed to mention that the resolution passed by a vote of 372-9, you also failed to mention that 40 people did not vote on this bill. Why arent you up in arms about the 40 people who didnt vote? Isnt not voting just as bad as saying "No". If they supported this they should have voted right? Who cares why those 9 voted the way they did? you should be happy the 372 people voted yes to the resolution. The whole reason I responded to your post was because you said it was a "Sad day in america". This is by no strech a sad day in america.
[quote=Coach_Owens87]Why dont you write a letter to each congress member who voted and get your answers.
It's not that I dont "get the point", and im not "sticking to my guns", I just really dont care, and I dont see why other people are in such an uproar. It doesnt matter to me if people vote to honor christmas, or not, I believe in god, I believe he sent his son to die for my sins, and i will celebrate christmas, and it doesnt matter if a congress member voted to honor ramadan over christmas. This is all just another BS propaganda twist from fox on thier phony "war on christmas". This is a perfect example

"The Republican lawmaker told Fox News Wednesday that he was motivated to push the resolution to honor the real reason behind Christmas and because of liberal activists and "secularists in the country who are trying to eradicate Christ from Christmas.”

http://www.christianpost.com/article/200...istmas.htm

You mentioned that 9 people voted against the resolution, but you failed to mention that the resolution passed by a vote of 372-9, you also failed to mention that 40 people did not vote on this bill. Why arent you up in arms about the 40 people who didnt vote? Isnt not voting just as bad as saying "No". If they supported this they should have voted right? Who cares why those 9 voted the way they did? you should be happy the 372 people voted yes to the resolution. The whole reason I responded to your post was because you said it was a "Sad day in america". This is by no strech a sad day in america.[/quote]

May not be a sad day in your and cavemaster's opinion, but in my for me and my family it is a sad day. I applaud Fox News for reporting this story, unlike other news networks who would never gave it a second glance.
Notice Old School,

Coach didn't answer my question... He/she is perfectly fine with Congress making Christmas a federal holiday........
Ronald Regean is a perfect name for you, you and the late president have something in common, a very short memory. I answered your question. I cant answer for each congress member on why they voted the way they did, and neither can you. I told you to write them and ask each one why they voted that way. If other people feel like you do, they wont be re-elected, so why worry.

I guess we disagree on calling this a sad day, was voting against the resolution for christmas, and voting to honor islam crazy, yes, but it doesnt really affect me. Both resolutions were passed. My christmas sprit and faith isnt dampered one bit by 9 buttholes in congress who voted against the resolution. Do we really need a resolution to say that christmas and the christian relgion are important anyway?

A preist raping a child is a sad day, a soldier dying in a sensless war is a sad day, Pearl harbor was a sad day, 9/11 was a sad day. 9 democrats playing bad politics is not a sad day.
You answered the question, "Should Christmas be a federal holiday?"
ronald_reagan Wrote:You answered the question, "Should Christmas be a federal holiday?"

I thought this post was about the voting of the 9 congress members, but since you want to get off topic I will answer your question. You asked in post 18 if I think Christmas should not be a federal holiday. Christmas has been a federal holiday since 1870, and I really have no problem with that. Even if it wasn't a federal holiday, I wouldn't be bothered as long as I could freely worship, and celebrate the most important day of my religion.

in an earlier post on this thread you said that measures like this where a waste of time and money, but when some members of congress vote no on the resolution, you call it a "sad day for this nation". That seems contradicting to me.
I think both of these motions were a waste of taxpayer time and money. Should have never made it out of committee to the floor for a vote.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:I thought this post was about the voting of the 9 congress members, but since you want to get off topic I will answer your question. You asked in post 18 if I think Christmas should not be a federal holiday. Christmas has been a federal holiday since 1870, and I really have no problem with that. Even if it wasn't a federal holiday, I wouldn't be bothered as long as I could freely worship, and celebrate the most important day of my religion.

in an earlier post on this thread you said that measures like this where a waste of time and money, but when some members of congress vote no on the resolution, you call it a "sad day for this nation". That seems contradicting to me.

You have no problem with it being a federal holiday? Thats great. neither do i. I didn't think you would. What happened to the seperation of church and state? :confused: Selective in nature I suppose... yes, thats the case. Would you have a problem with the entire month of Ramadan being taken off by the federal government? As well as the 8 days of hanukkah? What about the 40 days of Lent? The fact is... you only would support Christmas, I'm sure.

As I stated, I do not support either of the resolutions. But what I think is important.. is that when these bodies have the ability to vote on such stupidity, its sad when the fight christianity, but not other religions. I was the first to aknowledge the waste of time and tax payer money... so no need to lecture me upon these items.

You are being difficult... and its obvious why. Defensive measures always prove that the offense is working. This is a ridiculous. You know it, and I know it.

:letsparty
DevilsWin Wrote:I think both of these motions were a waste of taxpayer time and money. Should have never made it out of committee to the floor for a vote.

I'm not 100% for sure that it ever was brought before a committee... however, I agree, although I'm not for sure what committee is should have been coming out of , or introduced into.

I think, if I'm not mistaken... some votes don't need committe approval.

This vote should have never taken place...