Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knox Central 72 North Laurel 65
Knox Central defeats North Laurel in 1st Round of Region Tournament 72-65 Thoughts?
Someone needs to let Valentine know that he left his best player of the night ( Patel ) on the bench. Patel leading scorer for the jags and only played a half if that. Patel did a fantastic job while in the game and should have played entire second half and North might have been able to stop Knox Central 8th graders from beating them in 1st Round of Region Tournament. It’s time for change with North Boys Basketball Coaching because the janitor at North can get these results…
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cowboy42's post:
  • Hi Risk Warrior
We thought also North just got out-coached last night big time. Some people
sitting by us said that Knox Coach is a kid coach anyway and can get more
out of kids than most coaches can. They also said there had been a bunch
of good young players at North, that were no longer playing - (that had played
on the state winning 8th grade team last year) I don't know if they were run off
or disillusioned and quit? Someone doesn't know what they are doing in my
opinion to allow that to happen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hi Risk Warrior's post:
  • Cowboy42
Everyone is a great coach from the bleachers. So much more to it than setting back and seeing this or that needs to be done. Valentine is a real good coach and yes Mitchell is a players coach. Both are good at what they do. Coaches can’t play, it’s up to the kids to perform.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DukeBoy's post:
  • HCS
(03-07-2024, 07:54 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Everyone is a great coach from the bleachers.  So much more to it than setting back and seeing this or that needs to be done.  Valentine is a real good coach and yes Mitchell is a players coach.  Both are good at what they do.  Coaches can’t play, it’s up to the kids to perform.
So you’re now putting the loss on the kids as the coach didn’t play. Typical coach response.. Here’s what I know and it’s fact, Coach Valentine had Reed Sheppard and his teams for five years and won two Region Championships and both times get to Rupp Arena and get beat in first round of the Sweet 16. Right now Reed Sheppard is projected to be a NBA lottery pick, SEC Freshman of the week three times and ESPN Freshman of the year. I feel pretty certain North had the talent to win it all or at the very least get by first round either year. Now after Reed Sheppard graduates North loses district to Clay by 37 points and lose in first round of Region to Knox Central who wasnt even supposed to be in the conversation with North, Corbin or Clay and yet Knox is in final four and North first team out of tournament. If the Rawlings kid had stayed instead of going to South and the Chadwell kid stays instead of going to Knox Central then North Laurel wins Region again but for some reason those two kids decided to go play for other coaches. Reed Sheppard made Valentine look great past two years but he’s gone and now Valentine is average coach at best because had Jeff Davis had Valentine’s teams at Rupp Arena Laurel county would have recent state championship brought home to Laurel County. So long story short since Reed Sheppard left Coach Valentine hasn’t shown me or anyone else shit except how to play politics with playing time and players. Two Seniors Patel and Messer should have started and played every minute this season and North would still be playing. So please don’t blame the players for Valentines inability to make good coaching decisions..
  • Hi Risk Warrior
I will just say this.. LCA was not upset that Valentine left. He has rode the coattails of D1 players his entire HS coaching career except for this year. At LCA he had two D1 players and numerous NAIA stars on a team that only made it to the finals of the 11th region once in 4 years. He had Kyle Rhodes and Carter Hendickson who both had great D1 careers for four years on same team (LCA) and then Reed for 5 years.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Grannyshot's post:
  • Cowboy42
(03-07-2024, 07:54 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Everyone is a great coach from the bleachers.  So much more to it than setting back and seeing this or that needs to be done.  Valentine is a real good coach and yes Mitchell is a players coach.  Both are good at what they do.  Coaches can’t play, it’s up to the kids to perform.

Tell this to Cal critics.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Cowboy42
Coaches job is to put kids in a position to succeed, sometimes Cals not so good at it.
(03-08-2024, 07:27 AM)Cowboy42 Wrote:
So you’re now putting the loss on the kids as the coach didn’t play. Typical coach response.. Here’s what I know and it’s fact, Coach Valentine had Reed Sheppard and his teams for five years and won two Region Championships and both times get to Rupp Arena and get beat in first round of the Sweet 16. Right now Reed Sheppard is projected to be a NBA lottery pick, SEC Freshman of the week three times and ESPN Freshman of the year. I feel pretty certain North had the talent to win it all or at the very least get by first round either year. Now after Reed Sheppard graduates North loses district to Clay by 37 points and lose in first round of Region to Knox Central who wasnt even supposed to be in the conversation with North, Corbin or Clay and yet Knox is in final four and North first team out of tournament. If the Rawlings kid had stayed instead of going to South and the Chadwell kid stays instead of going to Knox Central then North Laurel wins Region again but for some reason those two kids decided to go play for other coaches. Reed Sheppard made Valentine look great past two years but he’s gone and now Valentine is average coach at best because had Jeff Davis had Valentine’s teams at Rupp Arena Laurel county would have recent state championship brought home to Laurel County. So long story short since Reed Sheppard left Coach Valentine hasn’t shown me or anyone else shit except how to play politics with playing time and players. Two Seniors Patel and Messer should have started and played every minute this season and North would still be playing. So please don’t blame the players for Valentines inability to make good coaching decisions..

Jeff Davis has coached in 2 region championships and winning only 1 in 13 years I think, with some of the better teams around not real sure what the hype is for him underachieving as much as he has
[-] The following 2 users Like ScratchGolf's post:
  • insideinfo, Van Hagar
(03-07-2024, 04:05 PM)Hi Risk Warrior Wrote: We thought also North just got out-coached last night big time.  Some people
out of kids than most coaches can.  They also said there had been a bunch
on the state winning 8th grade team last year) I don't know if they were run off
or disillusioned and quit?  Someone doesn't know what they are doing in my

Valentine isn't a world beater by any means but out-coached is a stretch. Knox has great young kids but if it wasn't for Chadwell coming back Knox would have had a similar season as when Mills was the coach... Well maybe a few more wins cause Madden soften that schedule up quite a bit.
(03-11-2024, 11:05 AM)GotYouInMyScope Wrote:
(03-07-2024, 04:05 PM)Hi Risk Warrior Wrote: We thought also North just got out-coached last night big time.  Some people

Valentine isn't a world beater by any means but out-coached is a stretch. Knox has great young kids but if it wasn't for Chadwell coming back Knox would have had a similar season as when Mills was the coach... Well maybe a few more wins cause Madden soften that schedule up quite a bit.
People have said on here and at the games, those boys wouldn't have left North if they
had a top-notch coach with their best interest at the top of the page.   Then leaving the
guy doing the scoring sitting on the bench the 4th quarter, even a non-world beater wouldn't
do that.   Madden, as a 1st year head coach probably didn't even make that schedule it was
probably already set before he got there.  

even a world

I agree with you on two things you said, Valentine is NOT a world beater much less a coach and Madden did in fact soften up schedule a lot from last season and yet Knox Central still beat North Laurel in 1st Round of Regional Tournament. They was eight teams at arena to start tournament and Valentine is first one to exit the arena so yeah I’d say he was out coached pretty significantly…When a coach like Valentine plays politics with who will play based on last name and not talent level or skill set he deserves to get beat every game. If I was in charge I’d tell Valentine to burn the damn road up as he’s a middle school basketball coach at best who’s been carried by superior talent.
(03-12-2024, 01:57 PM)Cowboy42 Wrote:

I agree with you on two things you said, Valentine is NOT a world beater much less a coach and Madden did in fact soften up schedule a lot from last season and yet Knox Central still beat North Laurel in 1st Round of Regional Tournament. They was eight teams at arena to start tournament and Valentine is first one to exit the arena so yeah I’d say he was out coached pretty significantly…When a coach like Valentine plays politics with who will play based on last name and not talent level or skill set he deserves to get beat every game. If I was in charge I’d tell Valentine to burn the damn road up as he’s a middle school basketball coach at best who’s been carried by superior talent.

You do understand that North and Knox was the first game of the region tournament correct? Not sure what point you are making there as the other games that were played on the same night and the following had a winner and loser in the first round. Last season Akal was the first coach out of the region tournament does that mean he can't coach or got out coached?  I am not a Valentine supporter at all but it's hard one year removed of Shepherd to be screaming fire the guy. PLENTY coaches have come through this region and some are still in it that have had superior talent and never won the region with it. At the end of the day I don't think Madden or Valentine will be at Knox or North but I do think it's unfair to any coach one year after they win the region to be screaming fire them, some schools never do that no matter the size, heck Knox had a 40 year absence until Patterson came along. 
(03-12-2024, 03:29 PM)GotYouInMyScope Wrote:
(03-12-2024, 01:57 PM)Cowboy42 Wrote:

You do understand that North and Knox was the first game of the region tournament correct? Not sure what point you are making there as the other games that were played on the same night and the following had a winner and loser in the first round. Last season Akal was the first coach out of the region tournament does that mean he can't coach or got out coached?  I am not a Valentine supporter at all but it's hard one year removed of Shepherd to be screaming fire the guy. PLENTY coaches have come through this region and some are still in it that have had superior talent and never won the region with it. At the end of the day I don't think Madden or Valentine will be at Knox or North but I do think it's unfair to any coach one year after they win the region to be screaming fire them, some schools never do that no matter the size, heck Knox had a 40 year absence until Patterson came along. 
Patterson amazing coach.. Won Region three straight trips and yet someone wanted him gone every year and he kept on winning regardless. Good coaches do that. Love to see Patterson come back and coach with Knox new AD..
Cowboy that is one thing we can agree on. I wonder if Patterson would entertain that idea because it is an interesting one?
(03-11-2024, 08:24 PM)Hi Risk Warrior Wrote:

People have said on here and at the games, those boys wouldn't have left North if they
had a top-notch coach with their best interest at the top of the page.   Then leaving the
guy doing the scoring sitting on the bench the 4th quarter, even a non-world beater wouldn't
do that.   Madden, as a 1st year head coach probably didn't even make that schedule it was
probably already set before he got there.  

even a world
Didn’t Trent Noah transfer to North Laurel and practice all spring and summer before returning to Harlan County Junior season? I’m wondering why Trent Noah left North Laurel and why the Chadwell kid goes back to KC and Rawlings transfers to South Laurel. Only common denominator I can imagine is Coach Valentine..Harlan County makes it to state championship game with first year coach Kyle Jones and North Laurel gets two first round exits at sweet 16 with Reed Sheppard a NBA lottery pick with too many accolades to mention. North Laurel needs a Boys Basketball Coach because Valentine couldn’t get it done with the best in the country and this season showed just how much of a middle school coach he is. Kyle Jones is the real deal Coach. Reckon Valentine was happy in first game of the Region Tournament against Knox Central when he got spanked by three 8th graders and a former player?
  • insideinfo
Every year they start naming best coaches in the 13 region. Every year the first two names are coach P and Davis. I never understood how these two was always mentioned first. Because if it was coaching ability there at best middle of the back.imo. Then I started noticing who was doing all the commenting mostly Corbin fans and a few south fans. After watching a lot of game this year for the first time in a few years. The top 3 this year was Spurlock from Harlan co. Maiden and Akle. In that order. The next three Sizemore, Spurlock from Clay, and either Coach p or Davis. JMO
(04-08-2024, 07:59 PM)insideinfo Wrote: Every year they start naming best coaches in the 13 region. Every year the first two names are coach P and Davis. I never understood how these two was always mentioned first. Because if it was coaching ability there at best middle of the back.imo. Then I started noticing who was doing all the commenting mostly Corbin fans and a few south fans. After watching a lot of game this year for the first time in a few years. The top 3 this year was Spurlock from Harlan co. Maiden and Akle. In that order. The next three Sizemore, Spurlock from Clay, and either Coach p or Davis. JMO
Best coaches in 13th Region #1 Kyle Jones, #2 Tony Pietrowski, #3 Jeff Davis, #4 Michael Jones, #5 Brad Sizemore, #6 Eric Swords, #7 Derrick Akal, #8 Mitchell Madden, #9 Chris Taylor, #10 Anthony Hibbard, #11 Brad Levy, #12 John Wheat, #13 Nate Valentine, #14 Larry Gritton, #15 Tyler Wagner…
Not sure if it’s Old Age, or alcohol induced, but I’m certainly apologizing for referring the Jones brothers as Spurlocks. SMH. But I don’t see how you can put Coach P
And Davis as being anything more middle of the pack. Tony has best administration to coach for, The City of Corbin supports all things Corbin athletics. Both monetary and Physicaly some of his better players are always transfers, I feel he has such advantage over most coaches in the region, that state tournament appearances should be little more regularly. Coach David is at what I feel as the best Basketball school In the region. One the largest student body in the region, great tradition, should be a great feeder system. Always has a few transfers. My problem with them is they always seem to be young not many Seniors on the team, and the don’t win the big game, other than beating Corbin the district. Which you would think would help get them ready for a region run. But it’s been awhile since South’s had region run,
Consistency is key here. What teams are near the top year in and year out over the decades no matter if team talent is high, mediocre or low, those are the teams with the best “coaches”. Lots of coaches can win with the best team especially when they have the best player in school history. Jones from Harlan Co did a phenomenal job this season but has a lot of years of consistency before he’s at the top of the list. How long has it been since Tony P or Jeff D have had the top 1 or 2 player in the state (2018ish for corbin and not sure on South Laurel). Yet somehow they are year in and year out they are top 3 in terms he region over decades, coaching is why.
You made my point, I look at who has less and gets more out of them, not who has more and get less out of them.
(04-12-2024, 10:03 AM)insideinfo Wrote: You made my point, I look at who has less and gets more out of them, not who has more and get less out of them.

You obviously misunderstood what I said if you think your list had a coach doing more with less at the top?? Jones had one of the best players in the history of the state with a solid supporting cast. He did a lot but had the most.

Let’s see how he does next year and over the next 5yrs before he could be at the top.
How can a 2nd year coach, with a great player, and a pretty good supporting crew, take a 13th region team to the finals of the sweet 16 and not be the considered top coach in the region right now. There’s been plenty times where Corbin and South have had the best player or team heading into the region and not make the sweet 16.
I remember someone calling the HC program a "dumpster fire" when Kyle Jones took over as coach. Pretty amazing to go from that to the state finals. I've not seen anything like it in 50 years of watching 13th Region basketball.
Pietrowski and Davis are obviously great coaches, but it seems kind of hard not to win at either place with the size and tradition of the schools and the financial backing both enjoy. Yes, I know South has found a way to lose in football.
No one can ever take away what Jones did with the Bears this year, but sustained success is required to be considered one of the greats. No one in the last 30 years has had a better start though, and it's reasonable to consider him No. 1 at this point, but you could also make a case for Davis and Pietrowski. Sizemore, Michael Jones and Akal have also enjoyed quite a bit of success.
(04-13-2024, 09:37 PM)HCS Wrote: I remember someone calling the HC program a "dumpster fire" when Kyle Jones took over as coach. Pretty amazing to go from that to the state finals. I've not seen anything like it in 50 years of watching 13th Region basketball.
Pietrowski and Davis are obviously great coaches, but it seems kind of hard not to win at either place with the size and tradition of the schools and the financial backing both enjoy. Yes, I know South has found a way to lose in football.
No one can ever take away what Jones did with the Bears this year, but sustained success is required to be considered one of the greats. No one in the last 30 years has had a better start though, and it's reasonable to consider him No. 1 at this point, but you could also make a case for Davis and Pietrowski. Sizemore, Michael Jones and Akal have also enjoyed quite a bit of success.

I was very impressed with what Akal was able to do a couple of years ago. Didn't stop other posters from lazy "he just rolls the ball out and lets them shoot threes" comments, but in my humble opinion, that was one of the better coaching jobs in the region that I've seen in some time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cactus Jack's post:
  • insideinfo

Tell this to Cal critics.
(03-07-2024, 02:24 AM)Cowboy42 Wrote: Someone needs to let Valentine know that he left his best player of the night ( Patel ) on the bench. Patel leading scorer for the jags and only played a half if that. Patel did a fantastic job while in the game and should have played entire second half and North might have been able to stop Knox Central 8th graders from beating them in 1st Round of Region Tournament. It’s time for change with North Boys Basketball Coaching because the janitor at North can get these results…
Lost all respect for Valentine and his assistant when they made disparaging remarks about an opponents injury and said “that’s what they get for recruiting our players “. The sad thing is 4 players tried to leave NL last summer because of valentines attitudes and the parents where told if the kids leave that the Khsaa would hear about it and they would be ineligible. Valentine is the worst coach in the 13th by a wide margin