Owsley 
Knott

Perry
Wolfe

Breathitt
Estill

Letcher
Hazard
The easy pick would be Letcher due to their path but I’m going to take Owsley to finally get it done
LCC is the clear choice to get to finals. Top bracket is going to be tough for Owsley to come through KCC and PCC,
Owsley won’t make it past Knott. It’s not Owsleys year. They got their All A Region Title. Happy with that I’m sure.
For the 3rd straight year the winner of the 56th has drawn the runner-up of the 53rd. It was the worst draw Owsley could have gotten but they should be prepared. The Lady Owls have had a very difficult schedule to help build to this moment. They will have to beat Knott, Perry and Letcher in order to make it to the Big Dance, the Sweet 16.
I’m 2022 it was a similar scenario when they had to beat Knott (who they drew TWICE that year, once in the original draw and once in the redraw after a glitch), Leslie and Letcher. They made it to Letcher for the championship game but lost by 1 in overtime on a last second basket by the Lady Cougars.
Having the tournament in Irvine in the 56th territory and close by helps. Theres not that hour and half to two hour bus drive and local fans from the district should be out in force for the action.
Yea it’s definitely an advantage to those teams over there. Some teams be better off flying to Lex airport and renting a bus. Ridiculous place for 14th region tourney to be played. Region needs realignment.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bulldogs4Ever's post:
  • Bluecat
(03-02-2024, 02:45 PM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: Yea it’s definitely an advantage to those teams over there.  Some teams be better off flying to Lex airport and renting a bus.  Ridiculous place for 14th region tourney to be  played.  Region needs realignment.

I’d move the 53rd district (LCC KCC Cordia Jenkins) to the 15th. The only district that the 53rd is remotely even close to is The 54th. LCC to Pikeville is around 45 minutes as to LCC to Breathitt (1 hr 15 mins). 53rd to the 54th is right around the same time 40mins. 

Bring over P-Burg, Lawrence County, Magoffin County and Morgan County from the 16th.
Strikeout, don’t take any thing stuff wrong, I love Estill County and love playing there but man it’s just so far away. Just think we need a better alignment.
From Estill to Hazard is hour and half.

About the same as it is from Estill to Lexington.

I really think if they’re was a new realignment that the 53rd should be moved to the 15th region. It would just make more sense to do that.

Estill would still play the same ole 14th region teams they always have regardless if they are in the region or not.
Estill to Hazard - 1 hour and half
Estill to Jackson - 58 minutes
Estill to Campton - 45 minutes

Estill to Lexington Catholic - 1 hour
Estill to LCA - 1 hour
Estill to Sayre - 1 hour
Estill to PLD - 1 hour
Estill to Henry Clay - 55 minutes
Estill to Frederick Douglass - 48 minutes

Estill to GRC - 45 minutes (give or take)
Estill to Montgomery - 35 minutes.

So with the exclusions of Montgomery and GRC the distance from Irvine to Lexington is roughly about the same time as it is Irvine to Hazard, Jackson, Campton

The drive from Irvine to Nicholasville is even further.

I think the issue lies with the 53rd (Pats/Cougar fans don’t take this personal ) they are closer to the 15th region teams than they are the 14th region teams with the exclusion of Hazard/Perry.

LCC to Pikeville - 45 minutes
LCC to Pike County Central - 45 minutes

KCC to Pikeville - 49 minutes
KCC to PCC - 49 minutes.

LCC to Hazard 40 minutes
LCC to Perry - 44 minutes.

KCC to both Hazard and Perry are right at 30 minutes.

LCC to Breathitt is 1 hr 15 mins
KCC to Breathitt is 1 hr.

Then the further you go down the longer the distance is for the 53rd. It would make more sense to send them to the 15th
What some of you guys in the lower end of the region never consider when you bring up these distances issues/complaints and criticize the locations are h ow selfish the comments are. You know, the schools in the upper sections of the region have to drive long distances and with the girls having more schools in the rotation the drives are more often than the boys. Those are LONG trips!!! You all have to do it once in a blue moon (long trip to the 56th venues) and it’s amazing at the gripes and gnashing of teeth, lol.
Now, the 14th is a big region and no doubt Irvine and Stanton are a great distance from the Letcher, Knott, Perry schools. But it’s the same in other regions. Do you reckon that Wayne County on the Tennessee border enjoys trips to play the Jessamine County schools just down the road from Lexington. That doesn’t mean that East and West Jessamine should be removed from the their region though. Which is what many on here say about Powell and Estill, that they should be put somewhere else. Jeez…Powell County has been a member of the 14th since at least the 1930’s or ‘40’s.
Don’t think any school should have to travel over an hour to play. 3 trips to Estill. 12 hours on the road. Lovely
(03-02-2024, 11:50 PM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: Don’t think any school should have to travel over an hour to play.  3 trips to Estill.  12 hours on the road.  Lovely

Man. That’s in all sports and all regions not just the 14th. 

Football is probably the worst at putting teams in districts that have distances to go to play opponents.
(03-02-2024, 11:50 PM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: Don’t think any school should have to travel over an hour to play.  3 trips to Estill.  12 hours on the road.  Lovely
Every region have trips between some schools that are close to 2 hour trips, with the exception of the two Jefferson County regions. Why should the 14th be singled out???
Also, it’’s nearly a two hour trip from Irvine or Stanton to Hindman and Whitesburg and not much closer to Hazard. But I suppose that’s okay as long as it’s only one district of fans that would always be traveling for all the time and distance every year, lol. Yep, I agree, that would be very “lovely” for Knott, Letcher and Perry. But not so lovely for the 56th and 55th.
Needs to be right in the middle every single year. Problem solved.
(03-03-2024, 01:34 AM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: Needs to be right in the middle every single year.  Problem solved.
Well, the middle of the four districts would be Breathitt County.
The way it is set up now, at least for the boys, is each district hosts the tournament on a 4 year rotation and the district schools choose the venue. The largest gym in the 56th is Powell. In the 55th it’s Breathitt. In. The 54th it’s Perry. And in the 53rd it’s Knott. I like this rotation plan. It’s fair to each district and each gets a turn to have it close to their schools. I believe they said at the regional tournaments meeting Friday that the boys will be at Knott next year and the girls will be at Hazard.
Girls at Hazard. Wow, a gym with ZERO PARKING. Pure genius. Breathitt is fine with me every single year. Do the super regional thing the 15th is doing.
I think the first round of the region should be at the higher seed then for the semi-finals and championship should be at a gym/school in the rotation.

I.E (Boys)

First rounds:

Estill at Breathitt
Letcher at Hazard

Perry at Powell
Wolfe at Knott

Semi-Finals and championship at Powell.

I like this idea. It doesn’t keep every team in the region on the road for the whole tourney and it gives some teams an extra home game. Once the first round is done then advance to the gym/school that’s in the rotation each year.

This is what the 11th region is doing
[-] The following 2 users Like Strikeout King's post:
  • Bluecat, Bulldogs4Ever
Someone is gonna have to just make that decision to do that setup in the 14th region. The old dogs don’t ever want to try anything new. Just need someone to say this is how it is and we are gonna try it. Go cry me a river if you don’t like it.
(03-02-2024, 02:03 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Owsley won’t make it past Knott.  It’s not Owsleys year.  They got their All A Region Title.  Happy with that I’m sure.
I don’t think the Lady Owls are aware of that. Do you think there’s any reason for them to show up? 

Just kidding around with you Duke, lol. Everyone has a right to an opinion. And I respect your basketball knowledge. I hope you’re wrong, though. I’d like to see them win the tournament. It would be the first ever for a girls team from the 56th and the first regional basketball championship for Owsley County, girls or boys. It would mean a lot to the 4,000 residents of the county.
Nice win for the Lady Owls tonight. Very impressive.
(03-04-2024, 09:46 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
(03-02-2024, 02:03 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Owsley won’t make it past Knott.  It’s not Owsleys year.  They got their All A Region Title.  Happy with that I’m sure.
I don’t think the Lady Owls are aware of that. Do you think there’s any reason for them to show up? 

Just kidding around with you Duke, lol. Everyone has a right to an opinion. And I respect your basketball knowledge. I hope you’re wrong, though. I’d like to see them win the tournament. It would be the first ever for a girls team from the 56th and the first regional basketball championship for Owsley County, girls or boys. It would mean a lot to the 4,000 residents of the county.
Wow did not realize that. Big time history if they win it.
IMO its Owsleys to lose, they are by far the most talented team
By far is a stretch. I can see Perry beating them. About a toss up in my opinion.
Hazard leads LCC 17-15 at halftime

Estill defeated Breathitt 41-35
Owsley rolls through the region. I’d love to see Perry win it, but I think Owsley is just to strong with their inside and outside game.
Owsley is average team and Perry has some matchup problems for them to. Games ain’t being played at Booneville or Hazard. Both have beat each other. Perry playing best ball they played all year. Toss up. Neither team is loaded for bear.
(03-06-2024, 01:24 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Owsley is average team and Perry has some matchup problems for them to.  Games ain’t being played at Booneville or Hazard.  Both have beat each other.  Perry playing best ball they played all year.  Toss up.  Neither team is loaded for bear.
I think Owsley is playing as good as they have all season also though. I watched them do pretty much whatever they wanted to knott central a couple nights ago and they looked as good as I’d saw them. Wolfe wasn’t the greatest team to base comparison off of and actually be able to say that Perry is playing as good as they have all year to me. Neace and McAlarnis are two players that’s more than likely going to get there’s I’m sure but I feel like Owsley creates more matchup problems for Perry than Perry does for them. Hopefully I’m wrong. Just a matter of opinion.
I agree with you. A lot depends on how the Couch girls play for Perry and if Perry can do anything with Macy Brown. Like Coach Smith a lot but I’d like to see Perry pull it off. Should be a great game in my opinion.
In the two games they played this season the first was back in mid December at Perry and Owsley pretty much led the entire game and Perry finally tied them in the last seconds of regulation and won in overtime. Perry had a girl who according to stats was a 25% 3 shooter and she made five that night. Owsley was giving her a little liberty and concentrating on others and she had her game of the year, I suppose. Since that game Owsley has steadily improved and changed several things in their offensive and defensive schemes.
The second game was in in mid February at Owsley and it was close early for a while but Owsley eventually build a 25 point lead and toward the end both teams subbed and the finally score was 67-51.
But this is post season and neither of those games mean squat. It’s a new season. Owsley will need to make sure McAlarnis and Neace are contained as much as possible. They can get going on you and be a force. Perry will have to contain a bunch of Owls though….four girls are averaging in double figures and four girls have made between 45-73 3-pointers on the season. And of course they have the 6’2 freshman in the middle. They also have the Murray girl who is a great rebounder and another freshman who subs that is 6’. He usually plays a seven player rotation, so depth is not a problem. And with Carly Smith you have a veteran 5 year starting guard that has been through the battles and basketball wars in her career.
They came oh so close to a trip to Rupp in 2022, losing in overtime in the championship game to Letcher by 1 point on a last second shot. Hopefully this year is different and they can make it to the Big Dance, which will be the school’s first ever in basketball (boys or girls) and the first for a 56th District team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LOOKAYANNER's post:
  • DukeBoy