Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike Central 99 Belfry 31 (60th District Championship)
not a typo, and this one wasn’t as close as the score indicates…

Wow
This is where the super regional can look like a positive. Past years Belfry would get to be in the top 8. Now they just get a home game and more than likely will end their season there rather than in the final 8. 60th is the weakest district.
Don’t even have the words to describe this. Down 66-16 at halftime. Honestly could have been worse. If people in charge at Belfry arn’t embarrassed by this I’m not sure anything will. PC is very good but to lose like this is just sad for Belfry. Poor effort, poor coaching. Not much else to say. Things will be the same next season too. Worst Belfry team I’ve ever seen
This is sad
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(02-29-2024, 11:20 PM)Grinch1 Wrote: This is where the super regional can look like a positive.  Past years Belfry would get to be in the top 8.  Now they just get a home game and more than likely will end their season there rather than in the final 8.  60th is the weakest district.
Agree with that. Old format you’d have Belfry in and Betsy Layne, Prestonsburg, Paintsville, and Johnson Central at the house. Now all of those teams still have a shot. I know teams are hoping to draw Belfry in the play in game

(02-29-2024, 11:36 PM)Spud6 Wrote: This is sad
Sad is putting it nicely. Go watch the game and it’s worse than the score indicates.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • Grinch1
i was curious if anyone would back me up on saying it was worse than the score shows, but i meant it when i said it. this team is young without a doubt but there's no excuse for this type of beatdown.........
At the game the talk was how people felt sorry for Belfry kids.

2 peoples ego destroyed that place.

How many will leave?
(02-29-2024, 11:44 PM)Khalisimo Wrote: i was curious if anyone would back me up on saying it was worse than the score shows, but i meant it when i said it. this team is young without a doubt but there's no excuse for this type of beatdown.........
Yes. It was 18-0 then 36-7 at the end of the 1st quarter. 66-16 at halftime and then 95-25 at one point and PC took Rigdon and Stewart out before it got to that point. If the coach wanted it to be they could have won by 100 and that is not an exaggeration. Leave starters in and press and it could have been like 125-25 or close to that

(02-29-2024, 11:58 PM)RTruth Wrote: At the game the talk was how people felt sorry for Belfry kids.

2 peoples ego destroyed that place.

How many will leave?
Who’s the 2 people? Thing is don’t you actually have to move now to transfer? I think so but I know kids who have transferred and still live where they did before transferring.
if anyone thinks you have to move before transferring youre living in fantasy land it might be according to the rules but we all know it’s never gonna be enforced

how many difference making kids should have been playing for belfry tonight but werent due to either choosing not to play or transfer
Good coaching.

What's this guy's stronghold over the Belfry Admin?
Loser coaching baseball, loser coaching basketball.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(03-01-2024, 12:09 AM)Ring'Em Up Wrote: Good coaching.

Baseball will be awful too. While other teams are practicing Belfry still has their baseball coach coaching basketball and getting beat to death. I’m a true pirate fan but if my son was still
there and played basketball and not football no way I’d want him to stay at the school. It’s embarrassingly bad. And what does Copley do? He’s been on the staff on a lot of bad teams. People whined when they had the kids not originally from Belfry playing a few years ago saying they was taking the kids from Belfry playing time but that’s the only time they’ve been good in the last 10 seasons.
Ouch

hey in years past it was at least different losers
now its the same one
(03-01-2024, 12:20 AM)Khalisimo Wrote:

hey in years past it was at least different losers
now its the same one
The ol' common denominator rule.

Calling someone a “common denominator” means that person plays a role in or is present in two or more situations, scenarios or set of circumstances. The use of the word “lowest" suggests that the person's involvement or presence is problematic yet basic, simple or otherwise easily addressed or eliminated
(03-01-2024, 12:17 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:

Baseball will be awful too. While other teams are practicing Belfry still has their baseball coach coaching basketball and getting beat to death. I’m a true pirate fan but if my son was still
there and played basketball and not football no way I’d want him to stay at the school. It’s embarrassingly bad. And what does Copley do? He’s been on the staff on a lot of bad teams. People whined when they had the kids not originally from Belfry playing a few years ago saying they was taking the kids from Belfry playing time but that’s the only time they’ve been good in the last 10 seasons.

Blows my mind that Copley is still assistant coach. He’s been there for at least 5 of the worst Belfry teams in school history. They always said he was an offensive guru

Kids don’t even attempt to play defense. Certain ones just want to shoot as many shots as possible. They miss a shot or turn the ball over they’ll throw their hands up in the air and walk back on defense
[-] The following 1 user Likes ECU_2010's post:
  • #55PirateFan
You have to long for the days of Tommy Dean Runyon and Raymond Justice. TDR is turning over in his grave. There has to be major administration changes coming. I’ve heard a principal change is coming very soon. (Retirement). Guessing there will be a full scale cleansing after that. At least hoping that is the case.
(03-01-2024, 02:53 AM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote: You have to long for the days of Tommy Dean Runyon and Raymond Justice.  TDR is turning over in his grave.  There has to be major  administration changes coming.  I’ve heard a principal change is coming very soon. (Retirement).  Guessing there will be a full scale cleansing after that.    At least hoping that is the case.
Agree. I mean how could anyone who watched this season not just the game tonight and feel good about the direction of the program. They were down by 70 at one point in this game. PC is very good but they’re not beating other teams like this. The body language for the Belfry team is awful from the players to the bench.
Was an ugly loss , Pike Central took advantage of what seems to be an ugly situation
in two full seasons now hagy is 16-42, 8-31 against the 15th region, 4-8 against the 60th district
the year he took over for thompson he went 8-6

ill let someone else list all the players he has ran off but i know the list starts with two varney boys and two woolums
(03-01-2024, 05:07 AM)Khalisimo Wrote: in two full seasons now hagy is 16-42, 8-31 against the 15th region, 4-8 against the 60th district

ill let someone else list all the players he has ran off but i know the list starts with two varney boys and two woolums

Thompson’s first few years were worse than this. Im not sure how Varney got “ran off” bc he never came out for the team this year, ppl had said he didn’t play bc of injury and was focusing on football/baseball. Honestly, it wouldn’t make much a difference if he was playing. My guess to why they really didn’t play is bc a certain family member isn’t head coach. As for Woolum the kid had the green light to do whatever so why would he quit? He also quit the team and was allowed to come back from my understanding. Other players quit during the season bc of playing time and not being treated fairly. Since the beginning of the season Hagy made sure his two were in the rotation
(03-01-2024, 11:41 AM)ECU_2010 Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 05:07 AM)Khalisimo Wrote: in two full seasons now hagy is 16-42, 8-31 against the 15th region, 4-8 against the 60th district

Thompson’s first few years were worse than this. Im not sure how Varney got “ran off” bc he never came out for the team this year, ppl had said he didn’t play bc of injury and was focusing on football/baseball. Honestly, it wouldn’t make much a difference if he was playing. My guess to why they really didn’t play is bc a certain family member isn’t head coach. As for Woolum the kid had the green light to do whatever so why would he quit? He also quit the team and was allowed to come back from my understanding. Other players quit during the season bc of playing time and not being treated fairly. Since the beginning of the season Hagy made sure his two were in the rotation
Thompson only had 1 decent season when 15th was probably weakest it had ever been. Thompson dug the hole belfry basketball is in and when Hagy took over he picked up the shovel and kept digging. You hit nail on head when you stated Hagy will make sure his 2 get thier time.
(03-01-2024, 11:41 AM)ECU_2010 Wrote:

So for this who don’t know who I am. I’m Bobby Varney.

My son chose not to play because he had a broken ankle, he wanted to get bigger and stronger for football and he doesn’t play baseball.

My nephew chose not to play because he wants to be a Divison 1 pitcher and wanted to get bigger and stronger.

It has or had nothing with me wanting to be HC.
Pike Central handed it to Belfey last night but in Belfry’s defense, they are young. Also Pike Central is playing as well as anybody right now winning 13 of the last 15.
(03-01-2024, 04:17 PM)Basketballjunky 1976 Wrote: Pike Central handed it to Belfey last night but in Belfry’s defense, they are young.  Also Pike Central is playing as well as anybody right now winning 13 of the last 15.
They’re playing good but they aren’t beating other teams by 68 points. For Belfry historians, is 68 points the worst loss in program history? Rigdon had 34. So if he was the only scorer Pike Central still wins by 3
(03-01-2024, 06:16 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 04:17 PM)Basketballjunky 1976 Wrote: Pike Central handed it to Belfey last night but in Belfry’s defense, they are young.  Also Pike Central is playing as well as anybody right now winning 13 of the last 15.
They’re playing good but they aren’t beating other teams by 68 points. For Belfry historians, is 68 points the worst loss in program history? Rigdon had 34. So if he was the only scorer Pike Central still wins by 3
Definitely not by 68 points but to put it in perspective… Rigdon hasn’t played an entire game since the Hatfield McCoy shootout. Prior to that, he and Stewart play 32 minutes every night bc they are needed.  PCC has pretty much handled everyone since then.  I don’t mean to make excuses for Belfry and by no means am I a Belfry fan but they are young and inexperienced.  With some work and experience they will get better.  Also, the other guys besides the big 2 stepped up.  Grant Hall really flipped the switch in the last few weeks and that has been the catalyst for their success. He has affected games thru defense, facilitation and scoring when needed.   Then last night Slone hit shots that he’s always been capable of.   PCC is very dangerous right now and I don’t think people have taken notice.  I wouldn’t be shocked to see them cut the nets down.  I hope Belfry can turn it around next year bc I know there is so much tradition and there’s a lot of pride on Pond Creek.
(03-01-2024, 06:31 PM)Basketballjunky 1976 Wrote:
Definitely not by 68 points but to put it in perspective… Rigdon hasn’t played an entire game since the Hatfield McCoy shootout. Prior to that, he and Stewart play 32 minutes every night bc they are needed.  PCC has pretty much handled everyone since then.  I don’t mean to make excuses for Belfry and by no means am I a Belfry fan but they are young and inexperienced.  With some work and experience they will get better.  Also, the other guys besides the big 2 stepped up.  Grant Hall really flipped the switch in the last few weeks and that has been the catalyst for their success. He has affected games thru defense, facilitation and scoring when needed.   Then last night Slone hit shots that he’s always been capable of.   PCC is very dangerous right now and I don’t think people have taken notice.  I wouldn’t be shocked to see them cut the nets down.  I hope Belfry can turn it around next year bc I know there is so much tradition and there’s a lot of pride on Pond Creek.
Pike Central definitely got the best draw they could have gotten. Avoid Pikeville and Martin County until the finals and it’s not possible for them to have to play both.
(03-01-2024, 06:40 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 06:31 PM)Basketballjunky 1976 Wrote:
Pike Central definitely got the best draw they could have gotten. Avoid Pikeville and Martin County until the finals and it’s not possible for them to have to play both.
I think they did too.  Survive and advance.