Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is going on in the 15th Region?
I was just checking the KHSAA Scoreboard to see the different games tonight and in the girls in the 15th region they have two first round regional games tonight. In one game Besty Layne is playing Phelps and Magoffin vs. Lawrence Co. The rest of the bracket is not even drawn out and the 57th and 58th districts are playing their district championships tonight as well. 

I have never seen anything like this. Does anyone know what is going or what their thinking is with this setup?
(02-28-2024, 12:18 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: I was just checking the KHSAA Scoreboard to see the different games tonight and in the girls in the 15th region they have two first round regional games tonight. In one game Besty Layne is playing Phelps and Magoffin vs. Lawrence Co. The rest of the bracket is not even drawn out and the 57th and 58th districts are playing their district championships tonight as well. 

I have never seen anything like this. Does anyone know what is going or what their thinking is with this setup?

Experimental super region format, only district champions are promised the final 8. Runner ups get a "bye" to the play in game along with 2 of the 3 seeds due to having 2 3-team districts, then there are 2 play in games of 3/4 seeds to then face the district runner ups. The winner of the Play-In/3 seed bye vs. District Runner Up games will then move on to play in the final 8.

(02-28-2024, 12:28 PM)Colonel4Life1999 Wrote:
(02-28-2024, 12:18 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: I was just checking the KHSAA Scoreboard to see the different games tonight and in the girls in the 15th region they have two first round regional games tonight. In one game Besty Layne is playing Phelps and Magoffin vs. Lawrence Co. The rest of the bracket is not even drawn out and the 57th and 58th districts are playing their district championships tonight as well. 

Experimental super region format, only district champions are promised the final 8. Runner ups get a "bye" to the play in game along with 2 of the 3 seeds due to having 2 3-team districts, then there are 2 play in games of 3/4 seeds to then face the district runner ups. The winner of the Play-In/3 seed bye vs. District Runner Up games will then move on to play in the final 8.

Betsy Layne was a 4 seed, Phelps a 3 (one of the 3 team districts). Lawrence technically was a "3" even though they were the 1 seed in their district tournament and Magoffin was the 4. East Ridge and Paintsville got the bye and will draw one of the district runner-ups same as the winner of the first two mentioned games.

Betsy Layne was a 4 seed, Phelps a 3 (one of the 3 team districts). Lawrence technically was a "3" even though they were the 1 seed in their district tournament and Magoffin was the 4. East Ridge and Paintsville got the bye and will draw one of the district runner-ups same as the winner of the first two mentioned games.
15TH REGION SETUP THIS YEAR IS ONE OF THE BEST KEPT SECRETS AROUND. I CALLED THE KHSAA TWO YESTERDAY AND THE DAY BEFORE WANTING AT ASK HOW THIS SUPER REGION IS SUPPOSE TO WORK. NO ONE CALLED BACK. THE FIRST TIME I CALLED THE WOMAN WAS NICE ABOUT BY INQUIRY, THE SECOND DAY A DIFFERENT FEMALE VOICE SEEM TO TAKE OFFENSE TO MY QUESTION.
I HOPE SOMEONE WILL EXPLAIN THE FORMAT BEFORE IT IS ALL OVER FOR 2024.
Regular season determines seeding for district tournament.
District tournament determines seeding for region.
Everyone plays in region tournament.

Because everyone plays in region, they have to play more games (shocker, I know).
So they are playing the first round of region alongside the district championships.
(02-28-2024, 07:03 PM)zaga_fan Wrote: Regular season determines seeding for district tournament.

Because everyone plays in region, they have to play more games (shocker, I know).
So they are playing the first round of region alongside the district championships.

Okay so can a team that lost their first game in the district come back and win the 15th region.
(02-28-2024, 11:34 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote:
(02-28-2024, 07:03 PM)zaga_fan Wrote: Regular season determines seeding for district tournament.

Okay so can a team that lost their first game in the district come back and win the 15th region.
Yes but losing your first game in district makes your path much tougher. The goal of the super region is to try to get the best 8 teams into region. For example, previous scenario Belfry would have been in region in boys but the worst 2 teams in the 15th are in the 60th. All 4 teams in the 57th and 58th are better than Belfry and Phelps. Plus if you have an upset in the district it allows that team to play its way back in. Basically it’s double elimination to make the 15th region tournament.
Does anyone know when the drawing is to see who will play the 2 seeds on Saturday?
(02-29-2024, 01:35 PM)Grinch1 Wrote: Does anyone know when the drawing is to see who will play the 2 seeds on Saturday?

Tomorrow
[-] The following 1 user Likes Colonel4Life1999's post:
  • Grinch1
At 10 am
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • Grinch1
Too complicated and not needed imo. By the way, how do they determine the regional seeding?
[-] The following 1 user Likes LOOKAYANNER's post:
  • 16BBall Fan
(03-03-2024, 12:00 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: Too complicated and not needed imo. By the way, how  do they determine the regional seeding?

Not complicated at all. Takes 2-5 minutes to learn how it works.
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • P. Fanning, Redneck