Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky vs Ole Miss Predictions/Updates/Discussion
Cats need this one desperately.  A fourth straight loss at home and I think missing the tournament really starts to come into play. Plus, Cal might have to have security posted outside the grounds of his palatial estate. 

I believe the Cats get back on track in this one. We need Mitchell back, in my opinion. He provides some additional leadership. Anyone know if he's expected back tonight? Hopefully, DJ can round back into form. I would put Tre at the five , and with a healthy DJ, I would do a rotation of  Reeves, Wagner, Shep, Mitchell, Thiero, RDilly and Edwards. Give the bigs a lot less minutes(our defense hasn't improved with them, other than Ugo blocking some shots, and we still can't rebound). Get out and run at every opportunity. Keep the pace frantic.  Our bigs were a combined 13 pts and 7 rebounds in 41 combined minutes , compared to 66 pts and 20 boards for Gonzaga's "bigs."  That stat, alone,  points to sitting their asses.   Again, I just write problems on a white board all day, so what do I know.

Your thoughts on this one?
(02-13-2024, 04:05 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Cats need this one desperately.  A fourth straight loss at home and I think missing the tournament really starts to come into play. Plus, Cal might have to have security posted outside the grounds of his palatial estate. 

I believe the Cats get back on track in this one. We need Mitchell back, in my opinion. He provides some additional leadership. Anyone know if he's expected back tonight? Hopefully, DJ can round back into form. I would put Tre at the five , and with a healthy DJ, I would do a rotation of  Reeves, Wagner, Shep, Mitchell, Thiero, RDilly and Edwards. Give the bigs a lot less minutes(our defense hasn't improved with them, other than Ugo blocking some shots, and we still can't rebound). Get out and run at every opportunity. Keep the pace frantic.  Our bigs were a combined 13 pts and 7 rebounds in 41 combined minutes , compared to 66 pts and 20 boards for Gonzaga's "bigs."  That stat, alone,  points to sitting their asses.   Again, I just write problems on a white board all day, so what do I know.

Your thoughts on this one?
Or sell his estate and go coach at Directional Bumf@ Polytech.
I look for Jet and RTG to be placing FOR SALE signs on Cal's well-manicured lawn in the middle of the night before long. lol

Cats by double digits tonight, folks!!!
(02-13-2024, 04:53 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: I look for Jet and RTG to be placing FOR SALE signs on Cal's well-manicured lawn  in the middle of the night before long.  lol

Cats by double digits tonight, folks!!!

Red herring #251720
Did my usual bet: 3/4 of budget on Ole Miss +8 1/2, 1/4 of budget on Ole Miss money line. Don't mind losing. Plus it's house money at this point. Best outcome is UK wins by 8. Gladly take a 30 pt. win though.
Let's dive into some advanced metrics, shall we?

KY is ranked #28 by KenPom ; Ole Miss is #60.  

OFFENSE:

The Cats are the 5th best team in the nation in AOE(Adjustred Offensive Efficiency); Ole Miss is #30.

DEFENSE:

The Cats are a lowly #125 in ADE(Adjusted Deficiency Efficiency). Ole Miss is even worse at #130 .

TEMPO:

Cats are #14 in the country AT(Adjusted Tempo) at 72.4 . Ole Miss is #243 at just 66.7 possessions per 40 minutes.

LUCK:

Ole Miss is #6 in the country in Luck Rating. Kentucky is rated an incredible #290 in Luck.

CONCLUSIONS:

Both teams score the ball very well. Neither team can play a lick of defense. Look for plenty of scoring. The Cats average 6 more possessions per game than the Rebs. Make just half of those count for something and that's, at least, six points, maybe more.  Ole Miss has been one of the luckiest teams in the nation and UK has been one of the most unlucky teams. Luck tends to even out with larger sample sizes. Let's hope that evening out starts tonight. 

Mr. Pomeroy, who has forgotten more basketball knowledge  than most of Cal's detractors have obtained in their collective lifetimes,  realize that KY's struggles are directly related to lack of discipline and toughness  on defense and on some plain ol' bad luck !  If a guy's not tough or disciplined that's on him,  not the legendary coach. You either are those things or you are not. You can't teach toughness. Don't blame the HOF'er for that.

Cats by 10 or more tonight !!!
SEC team wins tonight, put money on it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes plantmanky's post:
  • Granny Bear
Cats in a dog fight by 6, free throws win it down stretch
I'll take Kentucky by 16. Could see this one going a number of ways though.

Ole Miss has had a week off and their last five are a 3 point loss at South Carolina, a 14 point loss to Auburn, a 4 point win over Mississippi State, a 3 point win at Texas A&M, and a 26 point win over Arkansas.

End of the day, I think the Cats get hot from deep against Beard's No Middle defense and Ole Miss isn't deep enough to get up and down and trade baskets with UK.
(02-13-2024, 08:30 PM)plantmanky Wrote: SEC team wins tonight, put money on it.
Genius, wish I would have thought of that