Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK vs Vanderbilt 2/6/23
We need a healthy Mitchell for the long haul, but one thing I really like with him out is Jordan Burks is getting some minutes again, and really making the most of it. I love this kid, he plays his ass off every second he’s on the floor. He’s not NBA caliber, but give him a year or two. His effort reminds me of one of my favorite recent players, Nick Richards, who fought for minutes his whole career, and now is churning out double-doubles nearly every game for the Hornets.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • jetpilot
(02-07-2024, 11:50 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: We need a healthy Mitchell for the long haul, but one thing I really like with him out is Jordan Burks is getting some minutes again, and really making the most of it. I love this kid, he plays his ass off every second he’s on the floor. He’s not NBA caliber, but give him a year or two. His effort reminds me of one of my favorite recent players, Nick Richards, who fought for minutes his whole career, and now is churning out double-doubles nearly every game for the Hornets.

LOVE Burks! A joy to watch.
(02-07-2024, 04:46 AM)jetpilot Wrote: You guys that think people shouldn’t get mad over years of continued disappointment are dumber than a bag of hammers. Winners get mad over losing and losers constantly and continuously make excuses.

Yes, I don't think you should get mad over UK games.  When UK losses affect my stock portfolio, I'll get mad. When UK losses start affecting my family's health, I'll get mad. When UK losses start affecting my love life, I'll get mad.   I'm not mad at all. I'd like to see them win all their games but , if they don't, I'll go take a ride in the Mercedes or pet my pussycat and sleep like a baby.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • i82much
(02-07-2024, 03:42 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(02-07-2024, 04:46 AM)jetpilot Wrote: You guys that think people shouldn’t get mad over years of continued disappointment are dumber than a bag of hammers. Winners get mad over losing and losers constantly and continuously make excuses.

Yes, I don't think you should get mad over UK games.  When UK losses affect my stock portfolio, I'll get mad. When UK losses start affecting my family's health, I'll get mad. When UK losses start affecting my love life, I'll get mad.   I'm not mad at all. I'd like to see them win all their games but , if they don't, I'll go take a ride in the Mercedes or pet my pussycat and sleep like a baby.
I don't know how many ways I can put it to you. UK is my alma mater and I don't like it when the program slides to a 2nd tier SEC program. You are wasting your breath telling me to relax and just accept year after year of substandard, mediocre under-performance. You are free to enjoy mediocrity to your heart's content.
(02-07-2024, 03:57 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

I don't know how many ways I can put it to you. UK is my alma mater and I don't like it when the program slides to a 2nd tier SEC program. You are wasting your breath telling me to relax and just accept year after year of substandard, mediocre under-performance. You are free to enjoy mediocrity to your heart's content.
And all your time spent at Kentucky you were a student watching from the stands.  You’re not the only one passionate about the program but you are one of the ones that make this job impossible!! No matter who your couch cushions say we need
I had a blast watching the Reds last season. They were barely a .500 team last year but I enjoyed the heck out of the Reds last season. The journey is what's fun and that journey doesn't have to end in a title . Same for UK. I enjoy watching them play. They are the most fun offensive team we've had in quite some time. I'm gonna enjoy the journey. Championships are icing. Guys like our jetpilot and our plant boy is why the number of coaches who can handle this job is very few. Cal can handle it because he doesn't listen to their whining, nor does he give a damn about them. He just cares about his players and what's best for them.  Just try to enjoy every sandwich and don't worry about things you can't change. Cal is NEVER gonna be fired. NEVER!!!  He will decide to move on eventually to another phase in his life. Until then, just enjoy the kids that are playing for us, root them on, celebrate the wins, and when losses occur, go for ride or pet your puppy.

Well said, perspective is everything. On a side note, after a loss I have to take a ride in my old Ford, pet my beagle, and then sleep like an old "has been" with an aching back. But nonetheless, "Life is Good".
(02-07-2024, 04:55 PM)i82much Wrote:

Well said, perspective is everything. On a side note, after a loss I have to take a ride in my old Ford, pet my beagle, and then sleep like an old "has been" with an aching back. But nonetheless, "Life is Good".
Actually the car I drive on a daily basis is a 20  year-old Mercury. lol   And I pet my cats . Smile   But, you're right...perspective. My mother died last summer. That loss DEVASTATED me!!!   A UK loss to Tennessee...not so much!  Some UK fans get mad at me when I say it, but when UK loses a game or is ousted from the tournament, It's not life-changing or threatening to national security.
  • rookie57
(02-07-2024, 04:55 PM)i82much Wrote:

Amen!!! Well said by both.  End of the world for some and love the ones who think they wear a jersey.  Be blessed and happy we are even having this conversation!!!! Our program is one every team in the country is chasing to be (outside of a few very small few).  What more do you want.  Sorry but nationals championships every year in today’s game just isn’t going to happen.  This isn’t football where that is more doable
[-] The following 1 user Likes Wildcat_blue's post:
  • Old School Hound
I'm with both i82 and Wildcat Blue. Don't get me wrong. I love following the Cats and I love seeing them win. If they are knocked out of the NCAA Tourney, I'm disappointed and I usually don't follow the tourney quite as much after a Cats loss but when the next day rolls around I've moved on and look forward to the next season. A season-ending loss doesn't send me into a rage and wanting to put some burning poop on Cal's front door(which some fans have probably thought about doing).
(02-07-2024, 11:51 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(02-07-2024, 11:50 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: We need a healthy Mitchell for the long haul, but one thing I really like with him out is Jordan Burks is getting some minutes again, and really making the most of it. I love this kid, he plays his ass off every second he’s on the floor. He’s not NBA caliber, but give him a year or two. His effort reminds me of one of my favorite recent players, Nick Richards, who fought for minutes his whole career, and now is churning out double-doubles nearly every game for the Hornets.

LOVE Burks! A joy to watch.

I agree with Burks. He has a motor that just doesn't quit. I may be wrong but I think he could be a lock down defender.  His energy is contagious which is what we need especially on the defensive end. If he gets the minutes he could be a rare three or four year player for us. That's a big if though...
[-] The following 1 user Likes i82much's post:
  • jetpilot
(02-07-2024, 04:21 PM)Wildcat_blue Wrote:
(02-07-2024, 03:57 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

And all your time spent at Kentucky you were a student watching from the stands.  You’re not the only one passionate about the program but you are one of the ones that make this job impossible!! No matter who your couch cushions say we need
I make Cal's job impossible. It's my fault Cal sucks. I've caused the program to be 2nd tier SEC. LOL good one.
(02-07-2024, 04:47 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: I had a blast watching the Reds last season. They were barely a .500 team last year but I enjoyed the heck out of the Reds last season. The journey is what's fun and that journey doesn't have to end in a title . Same for UK. I enjoy watching them play. They are the most fun offensive team we've had in quite some time. I'm gonna enjoy the journey. Championships are icing. Guys like our jetpilot and our plant boy is why the number of coaches who can handle this job is very few. Cal can handle it because he doesn't listen to their whining, nor does he give a damn about them. He just cares about his players and what's best for them.  Just try to enjoy every sandwich and don't worry about things you can't change. Cal is NEVER gonna be fired. NEVER!!!  He will decide to move on eventually to another phase in his life. Until then, just enjoy the kids that are playing for us, root them on, celebrate the wins, and when losses occur, go for ride or pet your puppy.
That’s good advice right there

(02-07-2024, 04:47 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: I had a blast watching the Reds last season. They were barely a .500 team last year but I enjoyed the heck out of the Reds last season. The journey is what's fun and that journey doesn't have to end in a title . Same for UK. I enjoy watching them play. They are the most fun offensive team we've had in quite some time. I'm gonna enjoy the journey. Championships are icing. Guys like our jetpilot and our plant boy is why the number of coaches who can handle this job is very few. Cal can handle it because he doesn't listen to their whining, nor does he give a damn about them. He just cares about his players and what's best for them.  Just try to enjoy every sandwich and don't worry about things you can't change. Cal is NEVER gonna be fired. NEVER!!!  He will decide to move on eventually to another phase in his life. Until then, just enjoy the kids that are playing for us, root them on, celebrate the wins, and when losses occur, go for ride or pet your puppy.
While I agree with your post, and I for one do need to relax a little more, ain’t gonna lie I STILL will be glad when Cal is gone. And I’ll say that if we lose 15 games the next year.
Come on guys just enjoy it! Who cares if we never win anything! You'll get over it! Just relax!

The excuses and rationalizations continue to mount. Only losers are ok with continuing to lose. It really is that simple.
Did they win?

Fire Cal
Cal’s talk show today he talked about let’s be happy for the kids playing in the NBA All Star game and all the accolades they have. Bub, we didn’t hire you to make guys millionaires, we pay you 9 mill a year to win championships no send guys to the NBA
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(02-07-2024, 08:38 PM)rookie57 Wrote:
That’s good advice right there

While I agree with your post, and I for one do need to relax a little more, ain’t gonna lie I STILL will be glad when Cal is gone. And I’ll say that if we lose 15 games the next year.

Hey, your opinion certainly has merit and I value your opinion a lot. There's certainly a case that can be made that after 10-12 years at one school , things start to kinda run its course and it's best to part company(just like some marriages lol). But, as some guy said to me at a clothing store the other day, who you gonna get to replace him that would be any better? I mean, the first several years were amazing(again, kinda like some marriages Smile   )
  • rookie57
Cal can’t be replaced is stupid. UK one of the top jobs in all of sports. Tons of people would kill for it and lots of guys doing a lot better than Cal with less talent
Excuse after lame excuse of why we have to keep sucking indefinitely

Fire Cal he sucks
(02-07-2024, 09:18 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Come on guys just enjoy it! Who cares if we never win anything! You'll get over it! Just relax!

The excuses and rationalizations continue to mount. Only losers are ok with continuing to lose. It really is that simple.

I don't think anyone here enjoys when they lose. We want them to win, and as loyal fans, we root for wins. But , as I and a few others have hinted at, we just don't think losing basketball games are really anything to get mad about. It's not that important in the grand scheme of things. People that become enraged at Cal when they lose,  throw things at the TV, threaten to harm his dog or take a hammer to Ellen, have issues.  I'm as big a UK fan as any on this board but I also realize that there's very few things in life less important than a UK basketball game. I can understand being disappointed after the loss of a big game or an early exit from the tournament. The vitriol that we see from fans after losses, though, does not register with me. If a UK loss put a big dent in my pocketbook, I might be angry. If a loss to Tennessee magically turned my semen into sawdust, I might be angry.  Since wins or losses don't affect my life in any tangible way, I don't get angry. Disappointed, at times, yes. Angry, NO!
(02-08-2024, 05:14 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(02-07-2024, 09:18 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Come on guys just enjoy it! Who cares if we never win anything! You'll get over it! Just relax!

I don't think anyone here enjoys when they lose. We want them to win, and as loyal fans, we root for wins. But , as I and a few others have hinted at, we just don't think losing basketball games are really anything to get mad about. It's not that important in the grand scheme of things. People that become enraged at Cal when they lose,  throw things at the TV, threaten to harm his dog or take a hammer to Ellen, have issues.  I'm as big a UK fan as any on this board but I also realize that there's very few things in life less important than a UK basketball game. I can understand being disappointed after the loss of a big game or an early exit from the tournament. The vitriol that we see from fans after losses, though, does not register with me. If a UK loss put a big dent in my pocketbook, I might be angry. If a loss to Tennessee magically turned my semen into sawdust, I might be angry.  Since wins or losses don't affect my life in any tangible way, I don't get angry. Disappointed, at times, yes. Angry, NO!
Lame excuses and red herrings. Winning is what it's all about, it's what Cal is paid many $Millions to do. He has failed for several years. I don't want any personal harm to come to Cal or his family, that's stupid. Show me where anyone has even threatened it. If so they should be in jail. But it's really just another of your red herrings. 

Very simple. Cal has been paid zillions to keep the proud and storied UK basketball program in the most elite of the elite status and he has FAILED FOR YEARS. I don't care about people who winning isn't important to. It's time to fire Cal and get someone who can get us back on top.
(02-08-2024, 12:45 AM)Spud6 Wrote: Cal’s talk show today he talked about let’s be happy for the kids playing in the NBA All Star game and all the accolades they have. Bub, we didn’t hire you to make guys millionaires, we pay you 9 mill a year to win championships no send guys to the NBA

This is the problem with the whole situation.  Cal was not hired to win championships.  The University hired him to get players to the NBA to generate Alumni money, and bring in Money to the University.  He is doing that and then some. 

Fans have the wrong mind frame as to why Cal was hired.
(02-08-2024, 08:18 PM)plantmanky Wrote:
(02-08-2024, 12:45 AM)Spud6 Wrote: Cal’s talk show today he talked about let’s be happy for the kids playing in the NBA All Star game and all the accolades they have. Bub, we didn’t hire you to make guys millionaires, we pay you 9 mill a year to win championships no send guys to the NBA

This is the problem with the whole situation.  Cal was not hired to win championships.  The University hired him to get players to the NBA to generate Alumni money, and bring in Money to the University.  He is doing that and then some. 

Fans have the wrong mind frame as to why Cal was hired.

Is that was the goal then that is news to me.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL

How many national championships has Kansas, Duke, North Carolina won in the last 35 years compared to Kentucky?  Just curious too see how far off we are because of course we should have 20 by now
(02-10-2024, 01:44 PM)Wildcat_blue Wrote:

How many national championships has Kansas, Duke, North Carolina won in the last 35 years compared to Kentucky?  Just curious too see how far off we are because of course we should have 20 by now

And a lot of very good coaches never won a title.  Ray Meyer,  Guy Lewis,  Eddie Sutton, Bob Huggins,  Terry Holland,  Lou Henson, John Chaney, Lou Carnesecca, Ben Howland, Thad Motta, Rick Majerus, Lefty Driesell, Norm Stewart, Gene Keady , Ralph Miller, Brad Stevens, to name a few.  And those are just the ones off the top of my head.  Winning championships takes more than just recruiting good players and coaching them up. It takes a lot of good fortune, as well.  Schools that hire a coach for the sole purpose of winning championships are mostly overwhelmingly disappointed. As Botany Guy pointed out, Cal was hired to bring lots of moolah to the university.  Cal will never be fired because the losses pile up . He will only be fired if the money he generates FAILS to pile up.
The losses and excuses continue to pile up. For the ignorant, UK basketball has always generated a sh!t ton of money. Long before Cal showed up and will long after he’s gone. Hopefully the Cats don’t get blown out by Gonzaga again today like they did last season. The Zaga team isn’t even ranked. Need to get a win today to gear up for the stretch run.
(02-10-2024, 04:06 PM)jetpilot Wrote: The losses and excuses continue to pile up. For the ignorant, UK basketball has always generated a sh!t ton of money. Long before Cal showed up and will long after he’s gone. Hopefully the Cats don’t get blown out by Gonzaga again today like they did last season. The Zaga team isn’t even ranked. Need to get a win today to gear up for the stretch run.

[Image: https://merriam-webster.com/assets/mw/im...9e1@1x.jpg]
(02-10-2024, 03:58 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 01:44 PM)Wildcat_blue Wrote:

And a lot of very good coaches never won a title.  Ray Meyer,  Guy Lewis,  Eddie Sutton, Bob Huggins,  Terry Holland,  Lou Henson, John Chaney, Lou Carnesecca, Ben Howland, Thad Motta, Rick Majerus, Lefty Driesell, Norm Stewart, Gene Keady , Ralph Miller, Brad Stevens, to name a few.  And those are just the ones off the top of my head.  Winning championships takes more than just recruiting good players and coaching them up. It takes a lot of good fortune, as well.  Schools that hire a coach for the sole purpose of winning championships are mostly overwhelmingly disappointed. As Botany Guy pointed out, Cal was hired to bring lots of moolah to the university.  Cal will never be fired because the losses pile up . He will only be fired if the money he generates FAILS to pile up.
I was being sarcastic but great points!!  Couldn’t agree more, money drive all and once that starts to dip you’ll see panic within.