Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The day the music died 2/3/1959...and other rock and roll tragedies
Today is the anniversary of the plane crash that killed Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper and immortalized by the Don McLean song "American Pie". Very heartbreaking for a whole generation of early Rock and Roll fans. The movie "La Bamba" was fantastic, both the acting and music.

***Time out for this commercial break.
Hey OSH I don't give one rat's ass if any of these people were Republican or Democrat and don't even want to know.*** 

So what are some other tragedies having to do with music hit you or your parents and family members hard?
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Jim Croce
Patsy Cline
Ronnie Van Zant
John Lennon

to start
I was a teenager when the Skynyrd plane went down. That was a tough one, Skynyrd was beloved in 1970’s Clay Co., (and of course in a lot of other places as well.) The death of Prince at such a relatively young age was really a hard one for me to swallow also, I’m sure he had a lot of fantastic music left in him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • jetpilot
Ritchie Valens

(02-03-2024, 07:05 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: I was a teenager when the Skynyrd plane went down. That was a tough one, Skynyrd was beloved in 1970’s Clay Co., (and of course in a lot of other places as well.)  The death of Prince at such a relatively young age was really a hard one for me to swallow also, I’m sure he had a lot of fantastic music left in him.

Prince could go on tour for the next few years and it would be bigger than anything in music history. By a lot.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Van Hagar
Absolutely. On the country side, the death of Keith Whitley at such a young age and the way it occured was a real downer. We went to a lot of different gravesites of country music stars on a recent trip to Nashville, and Whitley’s really broke my heart. It was a double headstone in a sort of nondescript cemetery. The second headstone was (is) for Lorrie Morgan.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • jetpilot
Keith Whitley died from a broken heart. Wouldn’t give you a nickel for Lorrie Morgan and her music.
Since we are on the subject, very sad when Gary Stewart passed.
Karen Carpenter's sad end was just crushing to the many people who loved her. Most beautiful, purest voice ever. Lost her at what, 32 years of age? So many more years she could have given us more great music.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • jetpilot