Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If There's One Place That You Could Go That You've Never Been, Where Would It Be?
Where would you most like to visit?

As an space enthusiast , my first choice would be outer space. I'd want to leave the planet, maybe orbit the earth in the space station or orbit the Moon or Mars(the Mars would be a long trip, I know).

What about you? Is there somewhere you'd really like to go before you kick the bucket?
Moon, I want to see what we built on the dark side of the moon.
[-] The following 1 user Likes plantmanky's post:
  • Granny Bear
Normandy, France (is going to happen)
Standing on the summit of Mt. Everest (not happening)
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Westside
(02-02-2024, 01:02 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Normandy, France (is going to happen)
Standing on the summit of Mt. Everest (not happening)

Everest has long been a dream for me. But, like you said, ain't gonna happen. lol
Fairbanks, Alaska. I was born there, but I was a year old when we moved out. I just want to see the city I entered this world.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jarons's post:
  • Granny Bear
(02-02-2024, 12:21 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Moon, I want to see what we built on the dark side of the moon.

I want to see ONE conspiracy theory that you DON'T buy into?

(02-02-2024, 01:10 PM)Jarons Wrote: Fairbanks,  Alaska. I was born there, but I was a year old when we moved out. I just want to see the city I entered this world.

Nice!   I'd LOVE to see Alaska!!!
My uncle was killed in the army up in Alaska.
I love U.S. history, so I have always wanted to go to Boston.
(02-02-2024, 03:08 PM)Westside Wrote: I love U.S. history, so I have always wanted to go to Boston.

I love history, as well. Had almost enough history classes to have a major in it. Civil War history and early American history have been particular interests.

Gettysburg would be a great excursion for a few days on summer break.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Westside
(02-02-2024, 03:08 PM)Westside Wrote: I love U.S. history, so I have always wanted to go to Boston.

I spent some time in Boston.  It's one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen!!  I was surprised at how beautiful it was!!

I love US history, too.

But my choice of a visit to a new place would be Denali National Park, and stay as long as I wanted.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • Westside
OSH, are there ANY conspiracy theories that interest you?
Don't you have any whimsy in that old body of yours??
Alaska is number one on my list as well, and me and the missus are going next summer to celebrate, as I am retiring next January.
If you’ve never been to New Orleans, I would recommend it to anyone. Vegas is crazy, but in a sort of corporate way. New Orleans—-them folks just plain crazy! On my first visit, walking down Bourbon Street on just a regular June Tuesday afternoon, I saw more craziness than I had seen in a lifetime. It’s not for the faint of heart.
Antarctica because not many have been and Kenya. I live running and the greatest distance runners are from Kenya.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RTruth's post:
  • Old School Hound
(02-02-2024, 09:39 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Alaska is number one on my list as well, and me and the missus are going next summer to celebrate, as I am retiring next January.
  If you’ve never been to New Orleans, I would recommend it to anyone. Vegas is crazy, but in a sort of corporate way. New Orleans—-them folks just plain crazy! On my first visit, walking down Bourbon Street on just a regular June Tuesday afternoon, I saw more craziness than I had seen in a lifetime. It’s not for the faint of heart.

You've got THAT right!!!  First time I walked down Bourbon Street, I was slack jawed and just staring.  Loud, obnoxious and drunk!!  But I never saw the slightest bit of confrontation or fighting.  I was lucky.  I was also fascinated.  And the food!!!  

Congratulations on your retirement.  I sincerely hope that you enjoy your retirement as much as I do.  Hope you post pictures here of your Alaskan trip!!

I've been to Vegas twice.  Last time was because I was traveling with folks who had never been.  I'm glad to have seen Vegas but have NO desire to see it again.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • Van Hagar
(02-02-2024, 03:50 PM)Granny Bear Wrote:

I spent some time in Boston.  It's one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen!!   I was surprised at how beautiful it was!!

I love US history, too.

But my choice of a visit to a new place would be Denali National Park, and stay as long as I wanted.

I'm like you, I would never want to leave DNP !!!

(02-02-2024, 03:52 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: OSH, are there ANY conspiracy theories that interest you?
Don't you have any whimsy in that old body of yours??

Let me think on that, gran.   Smile

(02-03-2024, 09:34 AM)Granny Bear Wrote:
(02-02-2024, 09:39 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Alaska is number one on my list as well, and me and the missus are going next summer to celebrate, as I am retiring next January.

You've got THAT right!!!  First time I walked down Bourbon Street, I was slack jawed and just staring.  Loud, obnoxious and drunk!!  But I never saw the slightest bit of confrontation or fighting.  I was lucky.  I was also fascinated.  And the food!!!  

Congratulations on your retirement.  I sincerely hope that you enjoy your retirement as much as I do.  Hope you post pictures here of your Alaskan trip!!

I've been to Vegas twice.  Last time was because I was traveling with folks who had never been.  I'm glad to have seen Vegas but have NO desire to see it again.

Can you imagine GB walking down Bourbon Street "loud, obnoxious, and drunk?" LOL  Not me!  I can see her clutching her pearl necklace adjusting her hair net and exclaiming, "These kids, nowadays!"   Smile

More on New Orleans. I've never been there but I felt so bad for the people of New Orleans when Katrina devastated them. I literally had tears in my eyes as I was watching news reports of it all unfolding in real time. Hard to watch a great America city drown right before your eyes. I thought of this song from 1979, which is a love song about the city of New Orleans. It's really eerie because the lyrics almost foreshadow what would happen a quarter of a century after this song was released.

In the heart of the night
In the cool fallin' rain
There's a full moon in sight
Shining down on the Pontchartrain
And the river she rises
Just like she used to do
She's so full of surprises
Oh, momma, she reminds me of you

Right here, in the heart of the night
In the heart of the night, oh, oh
Down in New Orleans
And I'm so glad to be back in New Orleans
Please don't wake me, don't shake me
If it's only, if it's only just a dream
'Cause it's the only place I can face that makes me feel so right
Below that Dixie moon and loving you
I wasn't drunk, or even drinking, when I was in New Orleans. I've never owned a pearl necklace or a hairnet!!

To be honest, when I first got to Bourbon Street I was a little intimidated.
(02-03-2024, 02:12 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: I wasn't drunk, or even drinking, when I was in New Orleans.  I've never owned a pearl necklace or a hairnet!!

To be honest, when I first got to Bourbon Street I was a little intimidated.

I have no doubt about any of that. Just having fun with you, gran.
(02-03-2024, 09:34 AM)Granny Bear Wrote:

Thanks so much! I’m sure I will enjoy retirement, my wife looooves it, she put in 30 years as a certified pharmacy tech.
Let me tell you two true stories that iliustrates to me how crazy New Orleans is. When Mrs. Van Hagar and I got there we checked into the Hotel Dauphne which is in the French Quarter, a couple of streets north of Bourbon St. The desk clerk was giving us directions, and she said “anywhere from here south to the Mississippi River you should be fine. Anything behind us to the north, don’t go that way after dark, you might get murdered.” And she didn’t have a hint of a smile, she was dead serious.
Then, within 30 seconds of walking hand-in-hand onto Bourbon St. in the middle of a Tuesday afternoon we hear ‘Hey!’ We looked to our right, and in front of one of the hurricane bars, is a young lady wearing a tiny string bikini. “You all interested in a threesome?” I mean, I’m sure a lot of cash would have been involved, all of it mine. Unbelievable. Welcome to New Orleans.

As for Vegas, on my one time there we stayed at Treasure Island. Coming back to the room one afternoon, walking through the lobby, I hear “Hey, Van Hagar!” To say that freaked me out would be an understatement. But when I looked around it was the brother of one of my son’s high school baseball teammates, just on a vacation with his wife and her family. I mean what are the odds of running into someone from your own small town in a huge city crawling with tourists? It’s always seemed incredible to me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Cactus Jack
We stayed at the same place!!!! We weren't offered a threesome, but I did see a lady in only a G-string (no pasties) swing out of a top story window. Back and forth; back and forth, with the ta-tas free as a bird. Smile
I loved that hotel! Seemed like a true New Orleans place. One of my former postmasters had served as a postal inspector in New Orleans for 10+ years before coming back to SE Ky. He said any story you had ever heard about the debauchery they went on during Mardi Gras was true times 100.
We weren't there during Mardi Gras, thankfully. The heritage and culture in that area is so rich and in your face! I loved New Orleans. It was certainly extremely different from most places I've visited, but I found it so interesting. And the people were very friendly, even the ones with clothes on! Wink
Id like to go to see the northern lights, wherever the best place to see them would be. lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes king360's post:
  • Old School Hound
(02-06-2024, 04:18 PM)king360 Wrote: Id like to go to see the northern lights, wherever the best place to see them would be. lol

Now you're talking, Kingfish!!!  Like
(02-03-2024, 02:20 AM)RTruth Wrote: Antarctica because not many have been and Kenya. I live running and the greatest distance runners are from Kenya.

Nairobi is beautiful. If you ever go, you do the Maasai visit (even if it sounds cliché).

(02-05-2024, 01:02 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Thanks so much! I’m sure I will enjoy retirement, my wife looooves it, she put in 30 years as a certified pharmacy tech.
Let me tell you two true stories that iliustrates to me how crazy New Orleans is. When Mrs. Van Hagar and I got there we checked into the Hotel Dauphne which is in the French Quarter, a couple of streets north of Bourbon St. The desk clerk was giving us directions, and she said “anywhere from here south to the Mississippi River you should be fine. Anything behind us to the north, don’t go that way after dark, you might get murdered.” And she didn’t have a hint of a smile, she was dead serious.
Then, within 30 seconds of walking hand-in-hand onto Bourbon St. in the middle of a Tuesday afternoon we hear ‘Hey!’ We looked to our right, and in front of one of the hurricane bars, is a young lady wearing a tiny string bikini. “You all interested in a threesome?” I mean, I’m sure a lot of cash would have been involved, all of it mine. Unbelievable. Welcome to New Orleans.

As for Vegas, on my one time there we stayed at Treasure Island. Coming back to the room one afternoon, walking through the lobby, I hear “Hey, Van Hagar!” To say that freaked me out would be an understatement. But when I looked around it was the brother of one of my son’s high school baseball teammates, just on a vacation with his wife and her family. I mean what are the odds of running into someone from your own small town in a huge city crawling with tourists? It’s always seemed incredible to me.

Been to New Orleans a ton due to the location and going there on semi-work trips. I'm a huge fan of Memphis (jazz, BBQ, Elvis, and the Blues), and it always amazes me how many people think of Memphis as "too dangerous" to visit who'll readily jump in the car and go to New Orleans without a second thought.

If you are a football fan, Saturday Night in Death Valley has to be on your bucket list. The most insane sports atmosphere I've ever been in. Tried it once and would not recommend wearing the visiting team's colors, but they let up after going up by three-plus TDs.

US:
Detroit (had family that moved to work in the auto factories in the Depression/WW2 era and think that people's impression of the city is stuck in the 2010's when it wasn't doing as well...); Hawaii, Alaska, New York City, Baltimore, Maine;

Abroad:
Abidjan, Tokyo, Reykjavík, Sydney, Rio De Janerio, Toronto;

US:
Detroit (had family that moved to work in the auto factories in the Depression/WW2 era and think that people's impression of the city is stuck in the 2010's when it wasn't doing as well...); Hawaii, Alaska, New York City, Baltimore, Maine;

Abroad:
Abidjan, Tokyo, Reykjavík, Sydney, Rio De Janerio, Toronto;
Unfortunately, I've never traveled outside of the US, other than Canada. That's not because of choice, but because of finances. Wink

However, we did take a lot of driving vacations; either driving to the west coast and flying home or flying to the east coast and driving home. Saw some gorgeous places!!

Some of the more beautiful places I've enjoyed are Crater Lake, Kennebunkport, Lake Meade, New Orleans, Toronto and Boston. I have film of George and Barbara's summer home in Kennebunkport. Those beaches up there are unbelievable!! I always thought beaches were sand and water; nope!! Wink

Got caught in a huge sand storm in Phoenix. THAT was an experience!! And here's something for OSH to laugh at, I visited Snowflake in Arizona just to see where the alien abduction was reported to have taken place. Wow!!