Poll: How Many Games Will the 2024 Cincinnati Reds Win?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
61-68
0%
69-76
100.00%
77-84
0%
85-92
0%
93-100
0%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 CINCINNATI REDS : Do the Young Reds Have a Breakout Season or Take a Step Back?
What do you think of the Cincinnati Reds in 2024? They surprised a lot of people last season by increasing their win total by 20 games from 2022. Will they continue to trend upward or will all the young talent fall victim to the "sophomore slump" in their second full seasons?  The Reds have shored up their bullpen with Pagan, Martinez, and Suter and have added Candelario to add some pop and be a leader for the young Latin-American players. The most recent acquisition, starting pitcher, Frankie Montas, could be a key. He played very little last season due to being injured. If his arm can return to the form of a few years ago when he was with the A's, , he could be a valuable addition.

With Elly Dela Cruz , Noelvi Marte, Christian Encarnacion-Strand, Matt McLain, and Spencer Steer, the Reds have a core of young, talented players who could have them on the cusp of a postseason appearance. The starting staff has potential with Hunter Greene, Nick Lodolo, Andrew Abbott, Graham Ashcraft, Montas, and Brandon Williamson. Williamson might be transitioned to the bullpen if the other five are healthy and effective. 

Can Jonathon India and Tyler Stephenson bounce back from subpar seasons in '23? Will the youngsters referenced above continue their ascent to stardom or will they regress, now that opposing teams have a book on them?

One thing is a given. David Bell is still here. He is a bottom tier manager, in my opinion, who will lose you a few games every season just by his own bizarre maneuverings.

This team has the talent to win 88-90 games and vie for the division title if everything falls into place. It could also fall to 75-78 wins and finish fourth in the division if the pitching falters, the defense doesn't improve, and the sophomores hit their slumps in '24 .

What do you all think of the prospects for the 2024 Redlegs? Will they be around a .500 team again or will they regress to a 70-win team or improve to a 90-win team?
I am ready for a postseason run!!!!!! I think the Reds somehow get into the playoffs. Be interesting to see where are without Votto in the clubhouse.
As much as I would love for the Reds to take the next step, I think they will take a step back. I think they will win between 70-75 games finish 3rd in the division.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(01-26-2024, 01:54 PM)Bluecat Wrote: I am ready for a postseason run!!!!!! I think the Reds somehow get into the playoffs. Be interesting to see where are without Votto in the clubhouse.

I think losing Votto will be huge.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Losing Votto's experience and clubhouse presence will hurt. And of course every year I say they are going to win World Series whether I believe it or not lol!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bluecat's post:
  • MFL57
I hope Jarons is wrong. I think 70-75 is too low. I sure as hell hope it is. As far as Joey, there simply wasn't a place for him, imo. Give him $20 million to hit .198 in a couple hundred plate appearances? NO WAY! Joey's out of gas. The one move I would have been 100% in favor of is paying Joey 7 or 8 million to manage the team. Get rid of Bell and let Joey manage would have been a plus-plus move, imo.
[-] The following 2 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • Bluecat, Van Hagar
(01-26-2024, 04:53 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: I hope Jarons is wrong. I think 70-75 is too low. I sure as hell hope it is. As far as Joey, there simply wasn't a place for him, imo. Give him $20 million to hit .198 in  a couple hundred plate appearances? NO WAY! Joey's out of gas. The one move I would have been 100% in favor of is paying  Joey  7 or 8 million to manage the team. Get rid of Bell and let Joey manage would have been a plus-plus move, imo.
I hope I'm wrong too. 
I agree Votto's done physically, he not worth $20 million. His presence in the clubhouse was his value last season.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(01-26-2024, 05:54 PM)Jarons Wrote:
(01-26-2024, 04:53 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: I hope Jarons is wrong. I think 70-75 is too low. I sure as hell hope it is. As far as Joey, there simply wasn't a place for him, imo. Give him $20 million to hit .198 in  a couple hundred plate appearances? NO WAY! Joey's out of gas. The one move I would have been 100% in favor of is paying  Joey  7 or 8 million to manage the team. Get rid of Bell and let Joey manage would have been a plus-plus move, imo.
I hope I'm wrong too. 
I agree Votto's done physically, he not worth $20 million. His presence in the clubhouse was his value last season.

I think Joey could do as well, and probably, better than Bell , as manager.
OSH, I must be slipping. Votto as Reds manager had never occurred to me. But I love the idea. Experience or no, I think Votto has the right mindset to be a manager, and I feel like guys would play hard for him. Bell has had his time.

As far as this season, I really hope they can approach 90 wins and sneak into the playoffs, where in baseball anything can happen. Last year’s exciting young team, coupled with the pitch clock rule change (the greatest rule change in sports history!) brought me back to my childhood, when baseball was king and the Reds were the Big Red Machine. You and I are old enough to know that, I would say anyone under 50 wouldn’t believe that baseball was actually THE sport in America for a long time. Anyway, it still comes down to pitching over a long, long season. The Reds seemed to make some off-season moves that showed they actually are trying in that respect, we will see how that plays out. And you have to wonder if Diaz can have another season as a closer anywhere close to what he produced last year. He faded a little down the stretch, and a lot of those guys have maybe one big year and never match it again, so we will see.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Old School Hound
(01-28-2024, 08:45 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: OSH, I must be slipping. Votto as Reds manager had never occurred to me. But I love the idea. Experience or no, I think Votto has the right mindset to be a manager, and I feel like guys would play hard for him. Bell has had his time.

As far as this season, I really hope they can approach 90 wins and sneak into the playoffs, where in baseball anything can happen. Last year’s exciting young  team, coupled with the pitch clock rule change (the greatest rule change in sports history!) brought me back to my childhood, when baseball was king and the Reds were the Big Red Machine. You and I are old enough to know that, I would say anyone under 50 wouldn’t believe that baseball was actually THE sport in America for a long time.  Anyway, it still comes down to pitching over a long, long season. The Reds seemed to make some off-season moves that showed they actually are trying in that respect, we will see how that plays out. And you have to wonder if Diaz can have another season as a closer anywhere close to what he produced last year. He faded a little down the stretch, and a lot of those guys have maybe one big year and never match it again, so we will see.

Diaz did fade down the stretch. I think they need another guy that is capable of closing games out when Diaz is unavailable. I would have liked to have seen them sign Aroldis Chapman to help in the 8th inning and to close out games when Bell won't pitch Diaz because he pitched the previous two days.   I cannot underestimate the importance of having lockdown relievers in innings 7, 8, and 9. Remember the "Nasty Boys"? There were games the Reds lost last season by having to finish games off with a couple or three chumps because Diaz apparently couldn't pitch two or three games in a row.

One of my biggest peeves about today's game(and there are many) is how pitchers are coddled, to the point where they feel their arm just can't handle back-to -back days on the mound. Back in the '70's , I remember a doubleheader where the great reliever, Mike Marshall, tossed nearly 12 innings . He threw over 200 innings one season as a reliever. Now these guys feel they are too overworked to pitch three or four innings a week. Give me a break!
Opening Day is close. Can't wait!!! Reds have some key injuries. Gonna miss Friedl and McLain. Reds traded for Santiago Espinal a week or so ago to help cover some of those injuries . With McLain's shoulder issues , Marte's 80 game suspension, and young Edwin Arroyo's season-ending surgery, we suddenly have some depth issues on the infield. Hope Espinal helps. He had a poor year last season but was an All-Star in 2022. Great glove man.
I’m excited as well, even though McClain is a huge loss, thought he was our best overall player last year. Of course, pitching almost always paves the way. On paper, the rotation and bullpen both look at least good enough to keep the Reds in the race in what should be a wide open division.
(03-27-2024, 02:49 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: I’m excited as well, even though McClain is a huge loss, thought he was our best overall player last year. Of course, pitching almost always paves the way. On paper, the rotation and bullpen both look at least good enough to keep the Reds in the race in what should be a wide open division.

You are correct. On paper, our pitching looks good enough to keep us in contention. But as Dan Patrick once said,"That's why they don't play games on paper. They play them inside television sets. "
Classic. Dan (or Keith Olberman, can’t remember for sure) also famously said after a baseball highlight on Sportscenter, “that play went 8 to 3 to 2 to 5 if you’re scoring at home. Our even if you’re just by yourself.”
(03-28-2024, 11:22 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: Classic.  Dan (or Keith Olberman, can’t remember for sure) also famously said after a baseball highlight on Sportscenter, “that play went 8 to 3 to 2 to 5 if you’re scoring at home. Our even if you’re just by yourself.”
Dan and Keith were just the best, EVER!
That was pretty much a perfect opening day for the Reds. Montas looks like he could be a top of the rotation pitcher, and there is offensive firepower all through the lineup, even without Friedl and McClain. I know it’s a long, lonnnnggggg season, but this team has a chance to really do something.
(03-29-2024, 05:39 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: That was pretty much a perfect opening day for the Reds. Montas looks like he could be a top of the rotation pitcher, and there is offensive firepower all through the lineup, even without Friedl and McClain. I know it’s a long, lonnnnggggg season, but this team has a chance to really do something.

Thanks for posting , VH.  It's not easy to get a good discussion going about Reds baseball on a forum like this. I LOVE talking Reds baseball. We finally have an exviting , young team, after some lean years. They might not be ready for a deep playoff run, just yet, but hopefully they can compete for a playoff spot.

Van(and others):

1. When did you attend your first Reds game and do you remember the result?

2. Do you have a favorite Reds player of all-time and a favorite Reds team of all-time?

3. Who is your favorite current Reds player?
Lots of empty seats yesterday, team looked ok playing a bad team. They might get to 81-81 or a few over that but thats about it. It beats loosing 100 though.
(03-29-2024, 12:23 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Lots of empty seats yesterday, team looked ok playing a bad team.  They might get to 81-81 or a few over that but thats about it.  It beats loosing 100 though.

True.  I think the most likely result is them winning somewhere in the 80's , maybe 82 to 87, either just on the outside of the playoffs looking in or barely sneaking into the postseason. 

1. My first game was in 1971 against the Pirates at Riverfront... a 6-0 shutout win. Ross Grimsley got the complete game shutout.

2.  My favorite player---don't know if I really have a favorite--- I really like all the BRM guys. Used to go up to the gravel road behind my house as a kid and bat rocks, going through the entire BRM lineup and simulating their batting style. I liked Rose for how hard he played the game. He even ran to first base after a walk. I tried to play like him.

3. Today's roster--- I really like Spencer Steer. Love his approach at the plate and how goes about doing his business. He's a pro. Plus, he can rake!!!
(03-29-2024, 10:00 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-29-2024, 05:39 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: That was pretty much a perfect opening day for the Reds. Montas looks like he could be a top of the rotation pitcher, and there is offensive firepower all through the lineup, even without Friedl and McClain. I know it’s a long, lonnnnggggg season, but this team has a chance to really do something.

Thanks for posting , VH.  It's not easy to get a good discussion going about Reds baseball on a forum like this. I LOVE talking Reds baseball. We finally have an exviting , young team, after some lean years. They might not be ready for a deep playoff run, just yet, but hopefully they can compete for a playoff spot.

Van(and others):

2. Do you have a favorite Reds player of all-time and a favorite Reds team of all-time?

1. 1982 Reds lost to the St. Louis Cardinals 1-0
2. Paul O'Neil my favorite all time player.
3. Probably Jonathan India. Don't get to see play that much, I don't know the roster that well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(03-29-2024, 02:49 PM)Jarons Wrote:

Van(and others):

3. Probably Jonathan India. Don't get to see play that much, I don't know the roster that well.

A lot of fans were wanting them to trade India after last season's sub-par , oft-injured campaign. I, for one, was all for them keeping him. I think his leadership and many intangibles more than make up for his defensive deficiencies. I think he will have a nice bounce back year at the dish. Really glad we still have him, especially with the injury to McLain and the suspension of Marte.
(03-29-2024, 03:28 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-29-2024, 02:49 PM)Jarons Wrote:

Van(and others):

A lot of fans were wanting them to trade India after last season's sub-par , oft-injured campaign. I, for one, was all for them keeping him. I think his leadership and many intangibles more than make up for his defensive deficiencies. I think he will have a nice bounce back year at the dish. Really glad we still have him, especially with the injury to McLain and the suspension of Marte.

Those are the reasons that I like him. Especially with Votto leaving.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I saw my first game in the mid 70s, right in the heart of the Big Red Machine era. Can’t remember the exact details, but my dad would take me at least once a summer back then. People under our age OSH probably can’t believe that baseball was still king back then nationally.

My biggest in person memory was a mid-summer Sunday game against the Mike Schmidt, Larry Bowa, Greg Luzinski Phillies while the Reds were still the Big Red Machine. Riverfront was packed, and the game went extras. My dad had to get up early to go to work the next day, so we left after I think 11 innings. We always parked on the Kentucky side and walked over. As we were crossing the bridge to our car we heard a huge roar. Had to get in the car and turn on Marty and Joe to find out Ken Griffey (the Sr. on his name would come later) had hit one out to win the game in the bottom of the 12th.

My favorite player on those teams was Tony Perez. The Big Dog was so underrated, as was Davey Concepcion, another of my favorites from that time. After that I loved Eric Davis and the Cobra, Dave Parker. My favorite player of all-time is Ken Griffey, Jr. He was a little past his prime in Cincy, but I always felt he was just the most effortlessly great player I ever saw, and I loved the joy he played with.

Presently I’m with Jaron’s, I’m a big Jonathan India fan. He busts his ass every night, just a somewhat above average talent that gives you everything he has, I really respect that.
(03-29-2024, 06:18 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: I saw my first game in the mid 70s, right in the heart of the Big Red Machine era.  Can’t remember the exact details, but my dad would take me at least once a summer back then. People under our age OSH probably can’t believe that baseball was still king back then nationally.

My biggest in person memory was a mid-summer Sunday game against the Mike Schmidt, Larry Bowa, Greg Luzinski Phillies while the Reds were still the Big Red Machine. Riverfront was packed, and the game went extras. My dad had to get up early to go to work the next day, so we left after I think 11 innings. We always parked on the Kentucky side and walked over. As we were crossing the bridge to our car we heard a huge roar. Had to get in the car and turn on Marty and Joe to find out Ken Griffey (the Sr. on his name would come later) had hit one out to win the game in the bottom of the 12th.

My favorite player on those teams was Tony Perez. The Big Dog was so underrated, as was Davey Concepcion, another of my favorites from that time. After that I loved Eric Davis and the Cobra, Dave Parker. My favorite player of all-time is Ken Griffey, Jr. He was a little past his prime in Cincy, but I always felt he was just the most effortlessly great player I ever saw, and I loved the joy he played with.

Presently I’m with Jaron’s, I’m a big Jonathan India fan. He busts his ass every night, just a somewhat above average talent that gives you everything he has, I really respect that.

Love your Reds' posts, my friend.  Perez was the freaking glue that held those BRM teams together. They would not have won titles without Doggie. Most consistent big-time run producer in my lifetime. You could count on at least 90 ribeyes every single season from Tony. Unlike Rose and Bench, Doggie was nice to everyone he came into contact with . Just a HOF talent and a HOF guy.
Yesterday was the very kind of day that scares me with this Reds team. They get two in the 8th to take a 6-4 lead, then Diaz, who was great last year but faded a little late, gives up three in the ninth and they get beat. Oftentimes with these closers, they are one-year wonders. I know it’s verrrrry early, but if it keeps up, Bell may have to go to the Suter guy as the new closer, he’s been great in two appearances.
And now, just like that today was the exact opposite. Down 5-3, two outs and nobody on in the bottom of the ninth against the Nationals closer, Jonathan India down to his last strike, he comes through with a double to keep the game alive. Then Will Benson (another young Red I love) crushes a game-tying two run homer. Then Christian Encarnacion Strand, who was 0-for-12 to start the year, hits a laser out to left to improbably win the game. It’s gonna be a fun year.
(03-31-2024, 05:53 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: And now, just like that today was the exact opposite. Down 5-3, two outs and nobody on in the bottom of the ninth against the Nationals closer, Jonathan India down to his last strike, he comes through with a double to keep the game alive. Then Will Benson (another young Red I love) crushes a game-tying two run homer. Then Christian Encarnacion Strand, who was 0-for-12 to start the year, hits a laser out to left to improbably win the game. It’s gonna be a fun year.

Yep. None of that happens without India's AB.  What a plate appearance !!! Jonathan looks great so far!!!! So glad we held on to him.

(03-31-2024, 05:53 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: And now, just like that today was the exact opposite. Down 5-3, two outs and nobody on in the bottom of the ninth against the Nationals closer, Jonathan India down to his last strike, he comes through with a double to keep the game alive. Then Will Benson (another young Red I love) crushes a game-tying two run homer. Then Christian Encarnacion Strand, who was 0-for-12 to start the year, hits a laser out to left to improbably win the game. It’s gonna be a fun year.

Something's not right with Diaz. I'm afraid his arm is cooked. Hope not.  Right now, I'd much rather see Suter or Cruz closing out games. Suter is a solid pro and Cruz has one of the filthiest put away pitches in baseball.