Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Carolina 79 Kentucky 62
Final. One of the worst games the Cats have played in a long time.
Rediculous, cal should go down the bench to walk ons and or cheerleaders till he finds someone that will play defense, and EDWARDS and Bradshaw,,, sheez. Heck the whole team sucked, and Cal is once again proving he can’t coach.
Glad I wasn't able to watch this one. UK is now 94th in the country in defense(KenPom). No team lower than 17th has ever won a championship. Our big men are soft as hell.

I've said it before and I will say it again. We have ONE guy who isn't afraid of physicality. He will get in there and mix it up and battle the bruisers. But where the hell is he? We aren't beating tough physical teams without Adou Thiero.
[-] The following 2 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • 16BBall Fan, rookie57
And Cal’s comments about Theirro were concerning. He said idk what he ain’t playing. He’s dunking and running in practice. That’s weird for the HC to say
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
I’m cals postgame, he said ( in the last 4 minuses tolf them to foul 2 certain guys, and we didn’t foul them, it’s like they don’t hear us) This is another example of Calls weak coaxing, IF THEY DONT DO WHAT YOU TELL THEM, BENCH THEM! If EDWARDS ain’t producing, BENCH HIM, if they won’t play defense, BENCH THEM. AND play walk ons or cheerleaders! SHEEEEEZ
Ouch.
This one is concerning. Exposed basically every flaw we have. And another thing that I’ve been worrying about, now that we have another player on the roster (Big Z) that’s gonna take minutes, and hopefully at some point Theiro back, isn’t there eventually gonna be some discontent creep in over playing time? All the Kumbaya of how well everyone gets along is great, but when playing time starts to decline, let’s see then.
[-] The following 2 users Like Van Hagar's post:
  • Cactus Jack, Granny Bear
I've been waiting for this game to happen, but was surprised that it happened against South Carolina.

Now, we determine the players from the performers. And if we don't succeed in determining that division, we won't go anywhere in the tournament.

I was in and out of sleep yesterday from having surgery that morning. So I slept through some of the game. When I finally came to my senses, I could not believe the team that was on the floor!! I benched my starting point guard one time, and lost a game to prove a point. We have the talent and the leadership to compete with anybody. Somebody better figure out the chemistry of this team and play the boys who need to play together before we nose dive out of competition.
(01-24-2024, 06:14 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: This one is concerning. Exposed basically every flaw we have. And another thing that I’ve been worrying about, now that we have another player on the roster (Big Z) that’s gonna take minutes, and hopefully at some point Theiro back, isn’t there eventually gonna be some discontent creep in over playing time? All the Kumbaya of how well everyone gets along is great, but when playing time starts to decline, let’s see then.

Definitely have some major flaws. I don't think that this is a national championship caliber team. Too far to go defensively and too late in the game to figure it out. Even in a best-case scenario, the clock is ticking on just having everyone available and getting game reps together.

If you want to be optimistic, the 1998 team was somewhat of an unlikely champion, but they'd only lost four games all year-- by 15 to #1 Arizona in Maui, by 3 to Louisville, by 12 to Florida, and by 11 to Ole Miss-- the last three all in Rupp. UConn lost 8 games last season and won it all, and UK beat eventual champion Kansas by 18 in January 2022, but none of those teams had a terrible home loss to UNC-Wilmington or a 17-point road loss to a South Carolina. The Gamecocks weren't terrible, but Alabama beat them 74-47.

In the end, I think that this team is put out by an experienced, physical team that values possessions, plays aggressive defense, and gets a little hotter than normal to make enough shots against our not-so-great defense. Notice I didn't say "has a pro talent", "has a guy who does 'x' really well", or "can put us in 'x' situation". Not a good thought for a team who was already looking like they'd be on the 3 seed line going into the day. If they end up as a 3, 4, or 5, that's a pretty tough road given the types of teams they'd be facing out of the gate. I'd honestly rather be a 7 or 10 in a region close to home and draw a "bubble" team limping in from a Power 5 than the high 4 playing an experienced conference champion trying to be the next Cinderella. At least then, you get the chance at the 2 early and take their path if you beat them.

I don't think the amount of talent is the problem-- using the bench as a motivation to play defense and being able to ride the hot hand or weather foul trouble doesn't hurt. I just wonder if there's going to be a point where the right line-up clicks though.

Edwards still has a lot of things to figure out if he's going to be half the player he was expected to be. I was higher on him than any of the other incoming freshmen. You hope that he can put it together, and he will improve, but I don't know that he meshes well in a rotation where Reeves and Mitchell are also both playing lots of minutes (and you don't sit either of them for him).

Wagner is going to have some games where he looks great and other where he really struggles. Doesn't seem to be a ton of in-between with him. You see what Cal is going for playing him with Reeves and Dillingham/Sheppard together, but no combination of those four are going to set the world on fire defensively. Yes, Sheppard will get steals and make smart plays, but there's a difference in having great anticipation and being a great help-defender and being someone that you can stick on the other team's best player knowing that they'll work themselves to death to get within 70% of their average.

I hope I'm wrong, but Bradshaw doesn't look like he's it. Ivisic probably eats into his minutes as the year goes and we get a pu-pu platter of those two with stretches of Onyenso the rest of the way. Mitchell is playing a ton of minutes and is honestly out of position defensively, especially depending on the line-up. Thiero needs to get back and stay healthy if he's going to be a factor.

There are going to be plenty more games like this one, and seeding is going to be paramount unless you are banking on upsets.
I think the announcer put it perfectly last night, National Championship offense (when on), round of 32 defense. They can win games on offense alone when hitting, but when they aren't their defense isn't good enough to keep them in the game. And mid January I am not sure it can be fixed.
Having so many guys that can play can be fool's gold. Having ten or more guys getting minutes and being substituted in and out can reek havoc on a team's ability to get into a maintain a rhythm or flow, especially against teams like South Carolina who like to control tempo and make you grind it out in the halfcourt. Like granny implied, Cal needs to find the seven or eight guys who he can go with, instead of the constant subbing in and out. Hard to get any fluidity with all these different combinations of rotations that seem almost experimental, at times. But, what do I know. I just teach kids how to add fractions.

Btw, granny, I hope you feel better after your surgery. Will be thinking about you, love. Get well soon.
  • Cactus Jack, Granny Bear
^^Thank you!! It was the first cataract surgery. It was a piece of cake. The worst part, for me anyway, is getting that damn anesthesia out of my system. I HATE the way it makes me feel.
(01-24-2024, 12:55 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: ^^Thank you!!  It was the first cataract surgery.  It was a piece of cake.  The worst part, for me anyway, is getting that damn anesthesia out of my system.  I HATE the way it makes me feel.

My retinas are susceptible to being torn (has happened multiple times) . Even had one become partially detached. So I know what it's like to have your eyeballs poked and prodded with needles and burned with lasers. My dad said his cataract surgery wasn't bad at all. I wouldn't recommend retina surgery if it can be avoided. Not fun! Would rather be kicked in the balls(and I don't mean my eyeballs!).
FIRE CAL.
One good thing is there isn't a clear #1 this year. This team can still make a crazy run.
(01-24-2024, 09:42 PM)Bluecat Wrote: One good thing is there isn't a clear #1 this year. This team can still make a crazy run.
The SC game was a real kick in the nuts for me. Even with our $hitty defense and our soft serve bigs, I felt we could probably easily outscore teams like South Carolina. I've lost a lot of confidence in this team being able to storm through their SEC schedule. If we have an off night offensively and nothing's falling, we're in trouble because our guys can't defend anyone. Cactus Jack and I could get to the hole against UK's defense.
[-] The following 3 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • Bluecat, Cactus Jack, rookie57
(01-24-2024, 12:55 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: ^^Thank you!!  It was the first cataract surgery.  It was a piece of cake.  The worst part, for me anyway, is getting that damn anesthesia out of my system.  I HATE the way it makes me feel.
Hope you have a speedy recovery granny’s, I’m probably looking at that surgery in the near future myself.

(01-24-2024, 09:04 PM)plantmanky Wrote: FIRE CAL.
Guess I’m gonna get hated on here, but I agree with you.
Don't dread the surgery rookie; it really is a piece of cake. I don't take pain meds, never have; and it makes me super sensitive to drugs used for anesthesia. It literally takes me 2 to 3 days to get my head straight! And I really hate that feeling. But I am so much better today!!! Oh, and when you do have the surgery, don't let the visual disturbances bother you. lol It'll take a couple of days to get the halos, pink tinge and shimmers to fade!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • rookie57
(01-25-2024, 01:22 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(01-24-2024, 09:42 PM)Bluecat Wrote: One good thing is there isn't a clear #1 this year. This team can still make a crazy run.
The SC game was a real kick in the nuts for me. Even with our $hitty defense and our soft serve bigs, I felt we could probably easily outscore teams like South Carolina. I've lost a lot of confidence in this team being able to storm through their SEC schedule. If we have an off night offensively and nothing's falling, we're in trouble because our guys can't defend anyone. Cactus Jack and I could get to the hole against UK's defense.
I agree! I couldn't even watch the last 4:00 of the game. I am fat and slow and could get by them as well lol. I don't even know if it can be fixed at this point.
(01-25-2024, 11:01 AM)Bluecat Wrote:
(01-25-2024, 01:22 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
I agree! I couldn't even watch the last 4:00 of the game. I am fat and slow and could get by them as well lol. I don't even know if it can be fixed at this point.

I think it might get some better but I doubt we will ever be saying this team is good defensively. They are embarrassingly close to not even being in the top 100 best defensive teams(last I checked they were #94 by KenPom). That's absurd! All but 1 national champion since 2008 have ranked #11 or higher in defense(KenPom). Kansas was #17when they won the title a couple of years ago. KY is #94. Let that sink in!!!
  • Cactus Jack, rookie57
And we don't really have a true defensive stopper. Plus we have 3 7 footers and that was supposed to solve all our problems. Other than Big Z coming out on fire the other day it has been a true let down.
(01-25-2024, 04:06 PM)Bluecat Wrote: And we don't really have a true defensive stopper. Plus we have 3 7 footers and that was supposed to solve all our problems. Other than Big Z coming out on fire the other day it has been a true let down.
Preach it

(01-25-2024, 07:27 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: Don't dread the surgery rookie; it really is a piece of cake.  I don't take pain meds, never have; and it makes me super sensitive to drugs used for anesthesia.  It literally takes me 2 to 3 days to get my head straight!  And I really hate that feeling. But I am so much better today!!!  Oh, and when you do have the surgery, don't let the visual disturbances bother you.  lol  It'll take a couple of days to get the halos, pink tinge and shimmers to fade!
U done skeered me with that halos, pink tinge and shimmers! ?
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
  • rookie57
Other than Z, the 7 footers have been a disappointment. And even Z doesn't jump! He just reaches.

There are a couple of those players that I would slam on the bench so hard, it would break their coccyx! And there they would stay.
(01-25-2024, 06:19 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: Other than Z, the 7 footers have been a disappointment.  And even Z doesn't jump!  He just reaches.

There are a couple of those players that I would slam on the bench so hard, it would break their coccyx!  And there they would stay.

Granny is the only coach I would replace Cal with. Some of these guys need to have sore coccyxes(or is it, coccyxi?) These guys just seem to not have much of a desire to play defense. I call this team's defensive approach the "Kenny Rodgers "Defense, because literally all they do is gamble. Rather than remaining disciplined and playing fundamentally sound defense, all they do is gamble , and when they lose the gamble, they find themselves out of position to defend the play. Although this team has many offenders, Rob Dillingham might be the most undisciplined player I've seen on defense. All he does gamble. That's it! Gets himself out of position all the time. And team defense requires all five guys on the floor to be on the same page. If one guy doesn't do his job, then it affects the entire defense. Right now we have a bunch of gamblers , and gambling is not the most disciplined way of playing defense. Plus, we play very soft. We need some battlers!

Btw, we are currently 98th in Adjusted Defensive Rating.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • rookie57
(01-25-2024, 06:19 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: Other than Z, the 7 footers have been a disappointment.  And even Z doesn't jump!  He just reaches.

There are a couple of those players that I would slam on the bench so hard, it would break their coccyx!  And there they would stay.
ABSOFREKINLOUTLEY
(01-25-2024, 06:19 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: Other than Z, the 7 footers have been a disappointment. And even Z doesn't jump! He just reaches.

There are a couple of those players that I would slam on the bench so hard, it would break their coccyx! And there they would stay.

Out of curiosity, who would those be? I'm putting Bradshaw and Onyenso high on the list of suspects.

Got to see one game in person so far this season and Onyenso was really getting pushed around, but he was also having to step off his man to try to block or alter a shot because someone got beaten off the dribble, then had to try to scramble back into rebounding position.

He got moved fairly easily regardless, and he'll have to overcome that to be truly effective, otherwise you can just keep a body on him so he's not free to roam and block shots.

Was very impressed with Dillingham's quickness live. He looked visibly quicker than anyone out there, even with the ball in his hands. Very smooth too.
Those two choices aren't close Jack. They are dead right!!! I just hate to call out lazy players. BUT, their education is being supplied and the exposure they're getting is unbelievable!! And for all their perks, they can't block out??? Or play defense??? Or THINK???

Listen, I've had 5th and 6th grade girls were more fundamentally sound that some of these collegiate players.

Bottom line, if they don't play smart; they don't play.

JMO
  • Cactus Jack
(01-26-2024, 09:38 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: Those two choices aren't close Jack. They are dead right!!! I just hate to call out lazy players. BUT, their education is being supplied and the exposure they're getting is unbelievable!! And for all their perks, they can't block out??? Or play defense??? Or THINK???

Listen, I've had 5th and 6th grade girls were more fundamentally sound that some of these collegiate players.

Bottom line, if they don't play smart; they don't play.

JMO

Onyenso looked more gangly than he appears on TV. Probably just needs to add some good weight and get game experience. He looked engaged with teammates and like he was putting in effort, he was just getting pushed all over the place by smaller stronger players with more leverage. He has a very nice vertical and wingspan and gets off the ground pretty quickly. Doesn't need a lot of wind-up to get his hand to the top of the square or above. He will get there one day.

Bradshaw seems like a very likeable kid who is talented but was maybe a little too hyped. Wanted to pull what little hair I have left out when he took the corner three against Texas A&M late. He hardly played in the game I got to see live. Could see him being able to coast through high school games but struggling to keep up as the levels progress. Not saying they should kick him off the team or give up on him, but I think it's fair to say that his play hasn't matched his supposed draft stock coming in. Also wanted to throw my stylus through the screen when he blocked a shot against South Carolina and screamed in the opponent's vicinity (as if we weren't down with a terrible outlook already).

At the end of the day, Mitchell is already playing an unsustainable amount of minutes and the Cats probably need to pick their poison with Bradshaw, Ivisic, and Onyenso.
And what about Reeves? He's an enigma; I can't figure him out. I see flashes of brilliance, then he rectally inserts his head.

Sheppard so far, is more consistent in his defensive playing. I also think he plays smart with great floor vision. I hope he stays another year. I think he needs to polish the edges a little.