Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disgusting Foods ... That You LOVE !
We humans will eat virtually anything and everything, no matter how disgusting. I love to eat and some of the things that I like to eat are, quite honestly, hideously disgusting.  Now, when you really think about it even foods like chicken , fish, and beef are disgusting but since those are things most all of us eat regularly, let's focus on some other items.

1. pickled corn --- I've mentioned this before. My pawpaw canned it when I was a kid. I hated it then. I love it now. Soured corn...YUM!

2.  pork skins - devoured a bag yesterday. Disgusting concept. Also hated these when I was a kid. Love them now. Eat em' plain or dip them in something equally disturbing.

3.  asparagus-  when I was a kid I had a book called the Book of Lists. This food was listed among the filthiest of all foods. In fact, I think it might have topped the list. Looks weird, feels weird in your mouth, makes your pea stink.  Also, increases blood and oxygen flow to the genitals.  What's not to like, huh? Sautee it in butter, add some salt and lemon pepper and Old School's ready to chase the young housekeeper around the house.

4. cottage cheese---  what the hell?  What the hell is this stuff? I guessing curdled milk or something else that has turned really bad. There's something similar to Plaster of Paris in it to stabilize the $hit .  Looks awful, feel weird in the mouth, doesn't taste great, either... BUT I love it with fruit, especially canned peaches or pineapples.

5. Okra ----  Looks weird both before and after it's prepared. Weird texture, weird little seeds, is it a fruit that has transitioned to a veggie or something far more sinister? All I know is that it supposed to boost libido, be a dynamo for male sperm, and prevent syphilis and gonorrhea. In other words, makes Old School a happy camper. 

I've tried to like both beets and hominy but it just hasn't resulted in any kind of meaningful affair. Both are disgusting. Beets taste like dirt and hominy has a bizarre texture and taste. I'll pass on those.

What are some pretty disgusting foods that you love???
I like to read/think about the origin of some of our more disgusting foods. Housewives in the 30s, 40s and 50s literally made something out of nothing when feeding their families. For example, take bread stuffing, or dressing if you prefer, that we serve with our turkeys. It starts with old bread that's close to molding. Since wasting food USED to be a sin, I imagine a housewife taking that moldy bread, adding spices, aromatics and chicken/turkey broth and turning that into something delicious.

Ever wonder why short bread is named as such, or what it may be "short" in the ingredients? Well, technically it is short on fat, i.e. butter, shortening, etc. But it also can be short on a commodity that was once quite scarce..sugar. So a housewife has flour, lard but little or no sugar. So they bake that up and add something that will flavor that shortbread, i.e. strawberries, honey, and you end up with strawberry short cake. Apple stack cake is another example of housewife ingenuity. You have these drab, thin cakes flavored with molasses or another substitute sweetener, but layer that with reconstituted dried apples, and you have a wonderful, stunning desert.

Pickled corn is not soured corn. "Soured" sounds like something is expired or going bad. We used to pickle (to preserve) a lot of things, even meat. Talk about disgusting!! My dad used to eat pickled pigs feet with crackers. LOVED them. I never developed a taste for them. Guess I saw pig's feet and where they walked around, too many times. Smile

And how simple and bland is potato soup? BUT, add that heavy cream, scallions (which we used to harvest from our yards) and some cheese. Presto, a tasty, hearty, cold weather staple. And, if you like pumpkin pie, go a step farther and prepare a sweet potato pie. Yummm!!!

As far as beets are concerned, PICKLED beets are one of my favorite things to eat with beans.....of any kind. As far as their dirt tasting quality; think of truffles when you eat beets. Smile
My mom used to encourage us to eat three bites of a food that we didn't think we would like. I ate three bites of hominy one time, and threw up. Never tried it again. I've watched it being made and it really is disgusting!!

So that's my take on strange and sometimes disgusting foods.
(01-24-2024, 07:46 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: I like to read/think about the origin of some of our more disgusting foods.  Housewives in the 30s, 40s and 50s literally made something out of nothing when feeding their families.  For example, take bread stuffing, or dressing if you prefer, that we serve with our turkeys.  It starts with old bread that's close to molding.  Since wasting food USED to be a sin, I imagine a housewife taking that moldy bread, adding spices, aromatics and chicken/turkey broth and turning that into something delicious.

Ever wonder why short bread is named as such, or what it may be "short" in the ingredients?  Well, technically it is short on fat, i.e. butter, shortening, etc.  But it also can be short on a commodity that was once quite scarce..sugar.  So a housewife has flour, lard but little or no sugar.  So they bake that up and add something that will flavor that shortbread, i.e. strawberries, honey, and you end up with strawberry short cake.  Apple stack cake is another example of housewife ingenuity.  You have these drab, thin cakes flavored with molasses or another substitute sweetener, but layer that with reconstituted dried apples, and you have a wonderful, stunning desert.

Pickled corn is not soured corn.  "Soured" sounds like something is expired or going bad.  We used to pickle (to preserve) a lot of things, even meat.  Talk about disgusting!!  My dad used to eat pickled pigs feet with crackers.  LOVED them.  I never developed a taste for them.  Guess I saw pig's feet and where they walked around, too many times.  Smile

And how simple and bland is potato soup?  BUT, add that heavy cream, scallions (which we used to harvest from our yards) and some cheese.  Presto, a tasty, hearty, cold weather staple.  And, if you like pumpkin pie, go a step farther and prepare a sweet potato pie.  Yummm!!!

As far as beets are concerned, PICKLED beets are one of my favorite things to eat with beans.....of any kind.  As far as their dirt tasting quality; think of truffles when you eat beets.  Smile
My mom used to encourage us to eat three bites of a food that we didn't think we would like.  I ate three bites of hominy one time, and threw up.  Never tried it again.  I've watched it being made and it really is disgusting!!

So that's my take on strange and sometimes disgusting foods.

Great post and very informative.  Btw, apple stack cake is , without a doubt, one of my very favorite cakes. My pawpaw used to make them . He would dry his apples on the back porch using screen doors. He had about seven layers for his cake. I can remember him using wax paper to put his layers on. Added some powdered sugar to top it all off. So very good!  The Apple Barn in Pigeon Forge makes a pretty good apple stack cake.

Also, can't hardly beat potato soup on a cold day. I love a lot of soups but I always come back to that old standby.

I will say this about pickled beets. The pickling does make them tolerable.

My grandparents absolutely loved raw oysters in some soupy concoction. I like them okay if they are fried. Truly disgusting, though. Good for Old School's carnal drives, however, so I'll give em' passing marks. lol

Grits--- thoroughly despicable. Weird, all the way around. But, add some butter and cheese to them, and I like them.
Next time with your butter, add honey or syrup. Better than cream of wheat!!
Liver and onions

Cream cheese and crab meat

Chitlins

Lutefisk
(01-23-2024, 05:40 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: We humans will eat virtually anything and everything, no matter how disgusting. I love to eat and some of the things that I like to eat are, quite honestly, hideously disgusting.  Now, when you really think about it even foods like chicken , fish, and beef are disgusting but since those are things most all of us eat regularly, let's focus on some other items.

1. pickled corn --- I've mentioned this before. My pawpaw canned it when I was a kid. I hated it then. I love it now. Soured corn...YUM!

2.  pork skins - devoured a bag yesterday. Disgusting concept. Also hated these when I was a kid. Love them now. Eat em' plain or dip them in something equally disturbing.

3.  asparagus-  when I was a kid I had a book called the Book of Lists. This food was listed among the filthiest of all foods. In fact, I think it might have topped the list. Looks weird, feels weird in your mouth, makes your pea stink.  Also, increases blood and oxygen flow to the genitals.  What's not to like, huh? Sautee it in butter, add some salt and lemon pepper and Old School's ready to chase the young housekeeper around the house.

4. cottage cheese---  what the hell?  What the hell is this stuff? I guessing curdled milk or something else that has turned really bad. There's something similar to Plaster of Paris in it to stabilize the $hit .  Looks awful, feel weird in the mouth, doesn't taste great, either... BUT I love it with fruit, especially canned peaches or pineapples.

5. Okra ----  Looks weird both before and after it's prepared. Weird texture, weird little seeds, is it a fruit that has transitioned to a veggie or something far more sinister? All I know is that it supposed to boost libido, be a dynamo for male sperm, and prevent syphilis and gonorrhea. In other words, makes Old School a happy camper. 

I've tried to like both beets and hominy but it just hasn't resulted in any kind of meaningful affair. Both are disgusting. Beets taste like dirt and hominy has a bizarre texture and taste. I'll pass on those.

What are some pretty disgusting foods that you love???
The only thing this list that I would eat is pork skins.
(01-24-2024, 05:41 PM)RTruth Wrote: Liver and onions

Chitlins

Lutefisk

Come on RTruth, tell the Truth, you don't really like Lutefisk...DO YOU?   Fish n Fries , I can do. But fish n Lye ...NO WAY, JOSE!!!
I would eat Lutefisk before I would eat chitlins!!!
Do any of you like sardines? I have never eaten them before, but a couple months ago, I bought two cans of them. I never could bring myself to open the cans much less eat them.
(01-24-2024, 08:52 PM)Westside Wrote: Do any of you like sardines?  I have never eaten them before, but a couple months ago, I bought two cans of them.  I never could bring myself to open the cans much less eat them.

Sardines are very good if you eat the right ones. 
FoodCity used to carry a couple good brands but we get most ours from Jungle Jim’s in Cincy area

(01-24-2024, 07:58 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(01-24-2024, 05:41 PM)RTruth Wrote: Liver and onions

Chitlins

Lutefisk

Come on RTruth, tell the Truth, you don't really like Lutefisk...DO YOU?   Fish n Fries , I can do. But fish n Lye ...NO WAY, JOSE!!!

Yes, I like it lol. Texture is different but I do enjoy it occasionally. Christmas time with potatoes and bacon. I do not eat peas, they are disgusting but that is what it is traditionally served with. I would not ever trust myself to make it from start to finish but buying it ready to cook is the way for me.

(01-24-2024, 08:28 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: I would eat Lutefisk before I would eat chitlins!!!

Chitlins are very good if made right. The problem is the process to make them and how clean they have to be.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RTruth's post:
  • Westside
(01-24-2024, 08:52 PM)Westside Wrote: Do any of you like sardines?  I have never eaten them before, but a couple months ago, I bought two cans of them.  I never could bring myself to open the cans much less eat them.
I can tolerate them if it's just their little fish bodies, but no head , nor tail.  Put it on a cracker with lots of mustard to cover up the disgust. Hell, even a couple of my cats looked at me with utter contempt when I put a bowl of sardines in front of them. They looked at me as if I was Ted Bundy breaking into a sorority house.

So sardines wouldn't make my list because I definitely wouldn't say I love them.

Chicken livers, however, I absolutely adore. As disgusting as they are, I could eat a dozen of them and not bat an eye. Bad for my LDL number, though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Westside
I wouldn't touch a sardine with a ten foot pole! But I do love chicken livers with mashed taters and cole slaw. How disgusting is that!! It has been years and years since I've eaten chicken livers; because of the cholesterol content.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • Westside
I love the smell of chicken livers, but I do not like the taste.
Horseradish!!! Only thing me and my son eat with a steak!
Horseradish is tricky. It can be good if used correctly, but it's so overwhelming!!
(01-25-2024, 11:13 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: Horseradish is tricky.  It can be good if used correctly, but it's so overwhelming!!
That's why I like it. lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes king360's post:
  • Granny Bear