Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KHSAA Notes From Board of Control Meeting Today
[b]FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: JAN. 17, 2024[/b]

The KHSAA Board of Control conducted its fourth regularly scheduled meeting of the 2023-24 academic year on Wednesday in Lexington, approving status reports regarding upcoming winter state championships and items for possible action at a later meeting.

Following a data review conducted by KHSAA staff, the inaugural Girls' Wrestling State Championships in February will be preceded by multi-region meets at Caldwell County (Regions 1-2), Central (Regions 3-4), Bryan Station (Regions 5-6) and Montgomery County (Regions 7-8). Due to the difference in participation numbers of teams and individuals, the pattern of regions and sites will differ between girls' and boys' competitions. Girls' wrestling participation is on the rise in the first year of sanctioning a state championship, however, growing from 378 registered girls' wrestlers in 2022-23 to 586 participants this season.

The Board also discussed a staff review of member schools' requirements to submit individual and team roster entries unique to indoor track & field ahead of the inaugural Indoor Track & Field State Championships in March.

The Board reviewed a survey of all 51 state associations regarding the interval for classifying enrollment-based sports that was conducted by KHSAA staff, reflecting overwhelming nationwide favor of 34 associations utilizing two-year alignment periods to just six associations utilizing four-year periods. The Board approved changes for the football classification period to two years for the 2025 and 2026 seasons, with final parameters and draft alignments to be presented at the February Board of Control meeting for final adoption in May.

"The January Board meeting has traditionally been a time for reflection and looking forward to the new calendar year," said KHSAA Commissioner Julian Tackett. "We are excited to implement new championship events this winter as we continually discuss ways to improve our existing opportunities for student-athletes alongside our member schools with respect to both the present and the future."

For complete details, visit: [color=rgb( var(--theme-link) )]https://khsaa.org/01-17-24-board-of-control-looks-ahead-to-winter-state-championships/[/color]
Running Clock is now 35 points.
[-] The following 2 users Like plantmanky's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, Redneck
(01-17-2024, 08:30 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Running Clock is now 35 points.

Yes and now only 8 goals in soccer instead of 10.
Can we get a shot clock in basketball??
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • Bluecat
(01-17-2024, 11:56 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: Can we get a shot clock in basketball??
Finding someone to actually run the shot clock correctly will be a very tall task for many schools
[-] The following 3 users Like BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Diogenes, jetpilot, OldFlow
It's difficult to find a reliable person to just run the clock!!
[-] The following 3 users Like Granny Bear's post:
  • Bull got out!, jetpilot, OldFlow
Does the officials reset the shot clocks in college/wherever or is it at the discretion of an individual at the scorer's table? I know expense to install shot clocks is an issue as well.
(01-18-2024, 07:05 PM)Spoozer12 Wrote: Does the officials reset the shot clocks in college/wherever or is it at the discretion of an individual at the scorer's table?    I know expense to install shot clocks  is an issue as well.
I’ve always thought it was a scorer at a table. But football is a handheld device for the refs to work the play clock in the endzones so idk. I know the installation of the play clocks in football is more than a thousand, so a basketball shot clock would probably be around the same if not more.
I agree. I would love to see a shot clock in HS.