Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville - how good are they?
This Pikeville girls team might be the best team to come out of the 15th Region, ever? What say you?
Yeah but that ain’t saying much. Shelby Valley used to be strong.
(01-15-2024, 03:02 PM)Diablo Wrote: Yeah but that ain’t saying much.  Shelby Valley used to be strong.

Yeah, "best ever" doesn't really mean anything.
(01-15-2024, 03:01 PM)RTruth Wrote: This Pikeville girls team might be the best team to come out of the 15th Region, ever? What say you?
There have been some good teams over the years, I am not taking away anything from the current team as they are terrific. Im not so sure this is even the best team Pikeville has had if you look back over their 15th region title teams. The 2018-19 team with Cole-Williamson, Grace Bartley, Kelsey Jo Tackett, Alivia Gearhart, Leslie Stewart, and a young Trinity Rowe had everything in guard play, post play, outside shooting. Again not taking away from any of the other teams but this bunch was special also.  Gearhart could flat defend and no body could stop Stewart and Cole Williamson down low. IMO
Well JP how many state titles has the 15th won? If there’s a championship team from the 15th ever, be hard to be considered better than them wouldn’t you think?
Belfry was a state runner-up
Elkhorn city made it to the semi finals of the state
Ron preece Phelps team was her good with real good guards and had the big girls Allen & Blankenship.
Pike doesn't really have a big girl post presence who can score consistently.
So Pikeville isn't the greatest team ever in the 15th region.

Also Pike central had that really good team with Lowe and Ratliff who made it to the state semi finals.
Won't know if Pikeville is the best ever until the season is over. However, they are arguably better than all the teams WH17 mentioned.
(01-19-2024, 01:39 AM)Warriorhawk17 Wrote: Belfry was a state runner-up
Elkhorn city made it to the semi finals of the state
Ron preece Phelps team was her good with real good guards and had the big girls Allen & Blankenship.
Pike doesn't really have a big girl post presence who can score consistently.
So Pikeville isn't the greatest team ever in the 15th region.

Also Pike central had that really good team with Lowe and Ratliff who made it to the state semi finals.
Theiss and Jackson share the post/play down low and average 16.7 ppg and 15.3 rpg combined. They are excellent players putting up good numbers on a team that is very guard oriented. They can and do score consistently.
I think this Pikeville team is really good and one of the best we’ve seen around here. But I agree with some of those teams listed above being every bit as good. No knock on some of the other Pikeville players because they play their roles really well, but they benefit from playing with Rowe and Thornsbury who are and have been top 5 players in the region for years and maybe 1 and 2 this year. But some players on those other teams would cause them big problems and the Pikeville press wouldn’t create as many problems for them. This Pikeville team got beat by a Lawrence County team last year with a great player on it but not one I would consider one of the historically best around here so those teams listed above would definitely have their day and I’m sure there are more. Still a great team to watch and a couple of generational talents.
(01-20-2024, 11:25 PM)Belichick Wrote: I think this Pikeville team is really good and one of the best we’ve seen around here. But I agree with some of those teams listed above being every bit as good. No knock on some of the other Pikeville players because they play their roles really well, but they benefit from playing with Rowe and Thornsbury who are and have been top 5 players in the region for years and maybe 1 and 2 this year.  But some players on those other teams would cause them big problems and the Pikeville press wouldn’t create as many problems for them. This Pikeville team got beat by a Lawrence County team last year with a great player on it but not one I would consider one of the historically best around here so those teams listed above would definitely have their day and I’m sure there are more.  Still a great team to watch and a couple of generational talents.
What? Scored about 4,200 points in her HS career? 1st team All-State? Div I scholarship and now key player at Belmont? Averaged 29 points and 9.4 rebounds for a team that won 30 games last year. Shot 58.8% from the field and 80.9% from FT line. So yes up there with the best ever not just around here but in the state. Pikeville had beaten them by 15 earlier so I don't think their legacy will be defined by one 1 pt. loss on one bad night where a lot went against them. They still won the region the previous 2 years and by my count are 97-17 the last 4 years with a lot more wins to go this season. Have to see how this year shakes out but it looks like for now we disagree lol.
(01-21-2024, 03:27 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(01-20-2024, 11:25 PM)Belichick Wrote: I think this Pikeville team is really good and one of the best we’ve seen around here. But I agree with some of those teams listed above being every bit as good. No knock on some of the other Pikeville players because they play their roles really well, but they benefit from playing with Rowe and Thornsbury who are and have been top 5 players in the region for years and maybe 1 and 2 this year.  But some players on those other teams would cause them big problems and the Pikeville press wouldn’t create as many problems for them. This Pikeville team got beat by a Lawrence County team last year with a great player on it but not one I would consider one of the historically best around here so those teams listed above would definitely have their day and I’m sure there are more.  Still a great team to watch and a couple of generational talents.
What? Scored about 4,200 points in her HS career? 1st team All-State? Div I scholarship and now key player at Belmont? Averaged 29 points and 9.4 rebounds for a team that won 30 games last year. Shot 58.8% from the field and 80.9% from FT line. So yes up there with the best ever not just around here but in the state. Pikeville had beaten them by 15 earlier so I don't think their legacy will be defined by one 1 pt. loss on one bad night where a lot went against them. They still won the region the previous 2 years and by my count are 97-17 the last 4 years with a lot more wins to go this season. Have to see how this year shakes out but it looks like for now we disagree lol.
The Lawrence County team wasn’t historically great.  Not the player.  She was special.  Pikeville struggles against length and that’s why they haven’t won a game at state even as good as they’ve been these past 4 years.  Teams double Rowe and get it out of her hands and they make the others beat them.  Pikeville hasn’t been able to do that against fairly athletic teams with size at the state tournament, especially a shot blocker roaming around.  Some of those other historically good teams mentioned had that and could also handle Pikeville’s press easily with good ball handlers.  I think Pikeville is a fantastic team and statistically will go down as one of the best but there are several teams in the past that would handle them.
(01-21-2024, 04:16 AM)Belichick Wrote:
The Lawrence County team wasn’t historically great.  Not the player.  She was special.  Pikeville struggles against length and that’s why they haven’t won a game at state even as good as they’ve been these past 4 years.  Teams double Rowe and get it out of her hands and they make the others beat them.  Pikeville hasn’t been able to do that against fairly athletic teams with size at the state tournament, especially a shot blocker roaming around.  Some of those other historically good teams mentioned had that and could also handle Pikeville’s press easily with good ball handlers.  I think Pikeville is a fantastic team and statistically will go down as one of the best but there are several teams in the past that would handle them.
We will agree to disagree. One one point loss isn't the basis of the argument anyway. Those other teams lost to worse teams and more often.
(01-21-2024, 04:21 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(01-21-2024, 04:16 AM)Belichick Wrote:
We will agree to disagree. One one point loss isn't the basis of the argument anyway. Those other teams lost to worse teams and more often.
Last point. Those "fairly athletic" teams you are talking about at the state tournament were Cooper and Marshall Co., both top 2-4 teams in the state easily. Cooper lost to eventual champs Sacred Heart in the semifinals and Marshall Co. lost to Sacred Heart in the finals by 2. Pikeville played Marshall Co. to the wire losing by 4 so they were right up there with the best in the state.

I just don't think saying the Belfry and Phelps and Pike Central teams from 40 years ago in the early days of girls' basketball could handle this Pikeville team holds any water. IMO girls now (not only Pikeville) are better athletes and better basketball players. Better shooters, ball handlers, know the game better. It's almost like saying Adolph Rupp's UK teams could beat that team UK put on the floor last night.

Thanks for listening, I'll shut up now and enjoy the rest of the season lol.

Edit: I really thought Pikeville got robbed all game long in that Marshall Co. game. So did a lot of other people. MC 34 FT to Pikeville's 8. Like refs were making sure there was a MC/SH championship.