Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texas A&M 97 Kentucky 92 (OT)
Just awful defense by the blue team. If / when they bow out of the tournament it will be because of defense, not offense.

On a side note, the foul call on TA&M on the three point shot was, maybe the worst call I've seen in my lifetime.   Cats with 3 big points in OT.

A&M came in with two straight double-digit SEC losses and averaging only about 72 points a game. They scored 25 over their average. NOT GOOD.

(01-13-2024, 06:49 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Just awful defense by the blue team. If / when they bow out of the tournament it will be because of defense, not offense.

On a side note, the foul call on TA&M on the three point shot was, maybe the worst call I've seen in my lifetime.   Cats with 3 big points in OT.

A&M came in with two straight double-digit SEC losses and averaging only about 72 points a game on the season.  They scored 25 above their average. NOT GOOD !
It's hard to win a game when the opposing team has their will on the offensive boards like A&M did. Too many defensive let downs as well. Effort was still there and I still like this team. Always disappointed to lose a game but regardless of who you play, it is tough on the road in conference play.
(01-13-2024, 07:13 PM)Bluecat Wrote: It's hard to win a game when the opposing team has their will on the offensive boards like A&M did. Too many defensive let downs as well. Effort was still there and I still like this team. Always disappointed to lose a game but regardless of who you play, it is tough on the road in conference play.

I like the team but I'm not convinced they will ever be much better defensively.  Also, he number of offensive rebounds that A&M got on that possession down the stretch was almost comical.   You have to defend and rebound to win a national title and we don't do either one well.
Kentucky had a chance to go #2 in the country with a win over the 6-loss Aggie team. Instead, they gave up nearly 100 to a team barely averaging 70 a game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Cactus Jack
Their first two SEC games this season @"Old School Hound they only scored 53 at home vs LSU and 58 on Tuesday at Auburn.
Rebounds killed us, and I’ll never understand why Bradshaw is even in the floor
(01-13-2024, 08:44 PM)rookie57 Wrote: Rebounds killed us, and I’ll never understand why Bradshaw is even in the floor

He barely WAS on the floor today. Played stupid foul-a -minute basketball.  He looks like someone I could beat in an arm wrestling match. Soft as warm butter.
  • rookie57
Bradshaw had 4 fouls in six minutes of play. That's a foul every 90 seconds. The guy was literally unplayable. Most any guy here on BGR, and granny bear, as well, could play defense better than Aaron Bradshaw. He literally doesn't know how to guard anyone.
  • rookie57
(01-14-2024, 02:30 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Bradshaw had 4 fouls in six minutes of play. That's a foul every 90 seconds. The guy was literally unplayable. Most any guy here on BGR, and granny bear, as well, could play defense better than Aaron Bradshaw. He literally doesn't know how to guard anyone.

So Bradshaw played 6 minutes, who gave up 97 points?
This UK team is fun to watch when they have the ball but they aren't going anywhere.
(01-14-2024, 08:42 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 02:30 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Bradshaw had 4 fouls in six minutes of play. That's a foul every 90 seconds. The guy was literally unplayable. Most any guy here on BGR, and granny bear, as well, could play defense better than Aaron Bradshaw. He literally doesn't know how to guard anyone.

So Bradshaw played 6 minutes, who gave up 97 points?

EVERYONE!   Any player with just mediocre dribble drive skills can get to the basket against Kentucky. A&M has not been a good offensive team this season. They were averaging , something like, 55 points a game in their first two SEC games. Hit  almost 100 against Kentucky. Can you imagine what kind of field day  teams like Alabama will have against this porous Blue defense.  KY is just gonna have to try and outscore teams because they either can't, or don't have the desire, to defend them. The effort put forth to defend A&M was woeful. Rebounding has to get better, as well. How many times did UK fail to get a needed rebound late in that game.

Btw, this UK game was yet another example(we've seen many, going back to HS football season) where the better team did not come out on top in a game. GO HOUNDS!!!  Smile
Fire Cal.
Reeves' defense isn't the greatest either. We let lots of guys turn the corner and get downhill.
(01-14-2024, 12:10 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Fire Cal.

Of course. Losses are always Cal's fault. Can't get a rebound... Cal's fault.  Bradshaw, 4 fouls in 6 minutes... Cal's fault.  8 free throw misses in 21 attempts... Cal's fault. Can't stay in front of your man... Cal's fault. If we get hit by a blinding snowstorm, it will be Cal's fault.

(01-14-2024, 01:29 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: Reeves' defense isn't the greatest either. We let lots of guys turn the corner and get downhill.
Indeed. Just a bad defensive team. We can only hope they can rise to the level of "average" on defense.
(01-14-2024, 02:34 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Of course. Losses are always Cal's fault. Can't get a rebound... Cal's fault.  Bradshaw, 4 fouls in 6 minutes... Cal's fault.  8 free throw misses in 21 attempts... Cal's fault. Can't stay in front of your man... Cal's fault. If we get hit by a blinding snowstorm, it will be Cal's fault.

(01-14-2024, 01:29 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: Reeves' defense isn't the greatest either. We let lots of guys turn the corner and get downhill.
Indeed. Just a bad defensive team. We can only hope they can rise to the level of "average" on defense.
Now do Tom Greer lol. Cal put this team together, it is his team and the buck stops with him. He is paid zillions to put a team on the floor that can among other things guard somebody. I know you get that.

I want Cal to succeed as much as anyone. I'm hopeful but very skeptical. If he doesn't win the SEC regular season, SEC tournament, or make it to the Final Four (just one of those) I am done with him. I already feel like I've had enough of him for 3 lifetimes. I think he should be mentioned in the Tom Petty song "Jammin' Me" lol.
(01-14-2024, 10:08 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

Now do Tom Greer lol. Cal put this team together, it is his team and the buck stops with him. He is paid zillions to put a team on the floor that can among other things guard somebody. I know you get that.

I want Cal to succeed as much as anyone. I'm hopeful but very skeptical. If he doesn't win the SEC regular season, SEC tournament, or make it to the Final Four (just one of those) I am done with him. I already feel like I've had enough of him for 3 lifetimes. I think he should be mentioned in the Tom Petty song "Jammin' Me" lol.

I think Greer did a pretty good job this past season. Had a good gameplan against Boyle . Players just didn't execute at the most crucial moments and high hurdled their way to a loss.  Quite possibly the first time in my lifetime that Corbin had, imo, the best team in KY HS football.  Greer's not nearly as likeable as Cal, though. Cal actually cares for people other than himself, unlike Greer. And Tommy will never be a Hall of Famer, except in his own mind.
(01-15-2024, 04:21 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

I think Greer did a pretty good job this past season. Had a good gameplan against Boyle . Players just didn't execute at the most crucial moments and high hurdled their way to a loss.  Quite possibly the first time in my lifetime that Corbin had, imo, the best team in KY HS football.  Greer's not nearly as likeable as Cal, though. Cal actually cares for people other than himself, unlike Greer. And Tommy will never be a Hall of Famer, except in his own mind.

So weak. I just lost IQ points reading that lol.

I don't know who or what Cal cares about or what titles are bestowed on him and don't care. That's not what we're paying him zillions for. And Texas A&M doesn't give a rat's a$$ either or St. Peters or any of the other teams that have been eating Cal's lunch lately. Cal's job is to at least uphold the lofty standards of UK basketball and he has been failing for quite awhile now. 

You constantly run down a guy who is under-performing that you don't like while at the same time kissing the a$$ of and making excuses for a guy who is under-performing that you do like. So transparent and so foolish. Seriously, "But Cal cares and he's an HOFer" sounds like something a 12 year-old would say lol...means nothing and is irrelevant. Just win something damnit.
(01-15-2024, 05:30 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

I don't know who or what Cal cares about or what titles are bestowed on him and don't care. That's not what we're paying him zillions for. And Texas A&M doesn't give a rat's a$$ either or St. Peters or any of the other teams that have been eating Cal's lunch lately. Cal's job is to at least uphold the lofty standards of UK basketball and he has been failing for quite awhile now. 

You constantly run down a guy who is under-performing that you don't like while at the same time kissing the a$$ of and making excuses for a guy who is under-performing that you do like. So transparent and so foolish. Seriously, "But Cal cares and he's an HOFer" sounds like something a 12 year-old would say lol...means nothing and is irrelevant. Just win something damnit.

Takes the right players and some luck to win something. Cal hasn't enough good players the past few seasons to win big.  Cal represents our university well and he's a proven winner. He also helps his players make a lot of money.Very few guys can handle the UK job. Cal's one that can and has done it well.
(01-16-2024, 01:17 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(01-15-2024, 05:30 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(01-14-2024, 02:34 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Of course. Losses are always Cal's fault. Can't get a rebound... Cal's fault.  Bradshaw, 4 fouls in 6 minutes... Cal's fault.  8 free throw misses in 21 attempts... Cal's fault. Can't stay in front of your man... Cal's fault. If we get hit by a blinding snowstorm, it will be Cal's fault.

Takes the right players and some luck to win something. Cal hasn't enough good players the past few seasons to win big.  Cal represents our university well and he's a proven winner. He also helps his players make a lot of money.Very few guys can handle the UK job. Cal's one that can and has done it well.
LOL where to start.

1. "Cal hasn't enough good players..." Whose fault is that? You still can't seem to grasp how this employment concept works.
2. "some luck" - Luck is an excuse for losers. But I'll play along, since Cal isn't lucky let's get someone who is.
3. No evidence Cal is any better rep for his university than 100 other coaches. And not what he's paid for anyway.
4. HELPING HIS PLAYERS MAKE A LOT OF MONEY IS NOT WHAT WE ARE PAYING HIM ZILLIONS FOR.
5. You highlighted and dismissed the only thing Cal is being paid to do.
I'll take Cal over anyone jetpilot could come with who would be willing to to replace him.

Bruce Pearl might take the job but do we really want that slimeball wearing Blue?
If you'd have told me that Onyenso would play 32 minutes with a 7/10/5 split but we'd score 92 points and shoot 38.5% from three with Wagner, Reeves, Sheppard, and Dillingham combining for 68, I probably would have told you that Kentucky wins going away.

With all of the defensive troubles that have already been discussed, giving up 54 rebounds (many due to being out of position) and shooting 13/21 from the line in a close game will do that to you though.

I don't really like using the "but if we had" card often in these situations, but I do think Thiero would have had a significant impact on this outcome.
Thiero is the is the piece a lot of people are forgetting about. He is the physical force we are missing. He will do the little things that we need.
(01-17-2024, 01:21 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: If you'd have told me that Onyenso would play 32 minutes with a 7/10/5 split but we'd score 92 points and shoot 38.5% from three with Wagner, Reeves, Sheppard, and Dillingham combining for 68, I probably would have told you that Kentucky wins going away.

With all of the defensive troubles that have already been discussed, giving up 54 rebounds (many due to being out of position) and shooting 13/21 from the line in a close game will do that to you though.

I don't really like using the "but if we had" card often in these situations, but I do think Thiero would have had a significant impact on this outcome.

We miss Thiero !   Come back, Adou !!!!

(01-17-2024, 02:36 PM)Bluecat Wrote: Thiero is the is the piece a lot of people are forgetting about. He is the physical force we are missing. He will do the little things that we need.

You are correct, sir. We won't the big one without him.  We have some softies. Adou is not one of them.
Back to Bradshaw, he had contributed NOTHING, came in late in the game and fires up a 3,,, are u serious? He should not even be out there much less firing up a 3 in a tight game. He is weak, can’t play defense, and yes he ain’t the only one, can’t block shots and can’t rebound!