Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frederick Douglass 2024
[b]2023 Outcome:[/b]

Record: 8-5
Lost to eventual 6A Champion Trinity 14-7 in OT of the state semi-final at Trinity.

Graduated: Cole Carpenter QB (EKU)| Ranvier Cooper WR/P/K (Louisville) | EJ Clinkscale DB (Michigan) |Terrion Hicks DB (Northwestern)| Demeco Kennedy OL/DL (Purdue) | Jeremiah Lowe DB (Michigan) | Zuri Madison OL (Arkansas)|

Key Returns: | Jaxon Strautman (QB) | Tay Tay Allen (RB) | Logan Busson (LB) | Aveion Chenualt (WR) | Dakari Talbert (RB) | Derion Talbert (WR) | Austin Harmon (OL) | Kayden Clay (LB) | Seandre Maxberry (DL) | Pharo Watts (RB) | Jalen Johnson (OL) |

[b]2024 Outlook:[/b]

Douglass looks to continue to be as it has for its first 7 seasons as a school and a football program and that is to be in the hunt for a state championship. The Broncos are 78-14 in their young history.

Douglass will once again play a very tough schedule to help prepare them for the very difficult 6A post season. They are taking on Bowling Green to open the season in the Rafferty Bowl at WKU and as of now they will be once again playing 6A 2023 champion and preseason #1 Trinity at Douglass as well as home games with Corbin, Bryan Station and on the road to Boyle Co.  and Tates Creek. The remaining games for the schedule is not completed at this time. The is talks to start a regular season series as well with Male. The Broncos along with Coach McPeek and the staff at Douglass will be working hard and looking to make it back to Kroger Field in early December for the 4th time in what will be their 8th season as a program.
[-] The following 4 users Like 16BBall Fan's post:
  • Bull got out!, Cactus Jack, HighViz, Son of the Alamo
They were the most athletic team I watched come to Campbell Field last season, much respect to this impressive program with great coaches. I expect them to be a very tough game for Corbin this season at "The Farm". but will be a great road test for our team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Son of the Alamo's post:
  • 16BBall Fan
(01-05-2024, 11:46 AM)Son of the Alamo Wrote: They were the most athletic team I watched come to Campbell Field last season, much respect to this impressive program with great coaches. I expect them to be a very tough game for Corbin this season at "The Farm". but will be a great road test for our team.
No offence but had to LOL when you said they were the most athletic team you watched at Campbell. Considering the others they played at home were Johnson Central, Whitley, Perry, Wayne Counties. HUGE difference lol.
[-] The following 2 users Like Big Daddy Bull's post:
  • Son of the Alamo, Waitaminute
(01-05-2024, 03:44 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:
(01-05-2024, 11:46 AM)Son of the Alamo Wrote: They were the most athletic team I watched come to Campbell Field last season, much respect to this impressive program with great coaches. I expect them to be a very tough game for Corbin this season at "The Farm". but will be a great road test for our team.
No offence but had to LOL when you said they were the most athletic team you watched at Campbell. Considering the others they played at home were Johnson Central, Whitley, Perry, Wayne Counties. HUGE difference lol.
 no offense taken, lol. but, yeah I remember watching them warm up and thinking my goodness. Taylor Co. in playoffs had some really good talent like Hayes Johnson that will be at UK with the Smith Twins next season and if I remember correctly they had some speed in the backfield too. Johnson Central plays mountain football, they always come ready to play hard nose football. but F.D. is a whole different animal.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Son of the Alamo's post:
  • Big Daddy Bull
(01-05-2024, 04:45 PM)Son of the Alamo Wrote:
(01-05-2024, 03:44 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:
 no offense taken, lol. but, yeah I remember watching them warm up and thinking my goodness. Taylor Co. in playoffs had some really good talent like Hayes Johnson that will be at UK with the Smith Twins next season and if I remember correctly they had some speed in the backfield too. Johnson Central plays mountain football, they always come ready to play hard nose football. but F.D. is a whole different animal.
You correct about that my man, whole different animal. Talent everywhere.
I'm not trying to start the rumor mill here but I've heard some scuttle around Lexington from more than 1 person that McPeek may be looking to head to college and maybe Murray St. to be on their new staff. I'm a big fan of Douglass and what they are doing across all sports, but I'm not a big fan of McPeek. It can be argued that no one has done less with more than he has as a KHSF coach between Douglass and Fairview. His tactics for getting kids at both places hovered the fence of rules at best and in Fairview's case most definitely jumped the fence and ran across the field on the other side. The amount of talent assembled at Douglass in the last 6 years has been unheard of on one team in Lexington and he has 1 state championship to show for it. It's also fairly well known that he doesn't mess with the non-D1 kids recruiting and will only talk to big time programs about his studs while passing smaller school athletes' and their recruiting off to other coaches, and that's crazy to me.

If McPeek isn't back who would be a perfect fit for the dream job?!
(01-08-2024, 12:18 PM)HSFOOTBALL Wrote: I'm not trying to start the rumor mill here, but I've heard some scuttle around Lexington from more than 1 person that McPeek may be looking to head to college and maybe Murray St. to be on their new staff.  I'm a big fan of Douglass and what they are doing across all sports, but I'm not a big fan of McPeek. It can be argued that no one has done less with more than he has as a KHSF coach between Douglass and Fairview. His tactics for getting kids at both places hovered the fence of rules at best and in Fairview's case most definitely jumped the fence and ran across the field on the other side. The amount of talent assembled at Douglass in the last 6 years has been unheard of on one team in Lexington and he has 1 state championship to show for it. It's also fairly well known that he doesn't mess with the non-D1 kids recruiting and will only talk to big time programs about his studs while passing smaller school athletes' and their recruiting off to other coaches, and that's crazy to me.

Wow hadn't heard that. IMO if McPeak leaves FD they will not be dominate as they are know unless someone on the staff (Coach Poe) takes over. My reason for saying this is Brian Landis and Garry McPeak(Nathan Uncle) was the brains behind getting Lexington's most talented players to come to FD. They just knew people and the way Lexington works and got to go in kids houses. They are always going to have some talented kids as long as Carter G. makes those kids in the program play for FD and not their home schools. I just think if they were to hire someone outside of their circle it will not be the same. Hopefully that's just a rumor that he is leaving. Have you heard this 16th fan?
No have not heard that and talk to him at least once a week. They started winter weight lifting today. At a place the size of Murray with what Fayette pays teachers he would probably take a pay cut plus his wife is a teacher in Fayette Co. as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16BBall Fan's post:
  • Big Daddy Bull
(01-08-2024, 12:18 PM)HSFOOTBALL Wrote: I'm not trying to start the rumor mill here but I've heard some scuttle around Lexington from more than 1 person that McPeek may be looking to head to college and maybe Murray St. to be on their new staff.  I'm a big fan of Douglass and what they are doing across all sports, but I'm not a big fan of McPeek. It can be argued that no one has done less with more than he has as a KHSF coach between Douglass and Fairview. His tactics for getting kids at both places hovered the fence of rules at best and in Fairview's case most definitely jumped the fence and ran across the field on the other side. The amount of talent assembled at Douglass in the last 6 years has been unheard of on one team in Lexington and he has 1 state championship to show for it. It's also fairly well known that he doesn't mess with the non-D1 kids recruiting and will only talk to big time programs about his studs while passing smaller school athletes' and their recruiting off to other coaches, and that's crazy to me.

LOL “hovers over the fence of rules” that’s a good one, cause we all know all it’s true. And from the looks of things, they may get another one using “uncle’s address” and another maybe one more renting, but not occupied apartment.
I like the Frederick Douglass coach. He sure puts a quality product on the field.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • 16BBall Fan
Thanks @Bull got out! I talked with Coach McPeek this afternoon he is in Nashville at the American Football Coaches Association Conference. He is not going anywhere.
  • Bull got out!
The Broncos have added Jay Johnson to the coaching staff for next season.
  • Bull got out!
The Broncos are loaded in 24. Hopefully they can overcome the coaching side.
(01-04-2024, 11:38 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: [b]2023 Outcome:[/b]

Record: 8-5
Lost to eventual 6A Champion Trinity 14-7 in OT of the state semi-final at Trinity.

Graduated: Cole Carpenter QB (EKU)| Ranvier Cooper WR/P/K (Louisville) | EJ Clinkscale DB (Michigan) |Terrion Hicks DB (Northwestern)| Demeco Kennedy OL/DL (Purdue) | Jeremiah Lowe DB (Michigan) | Zuri Madison OL (Arkansas)|

Key Returns: | Jaxon Strautman (QB) | Tay Tay Allen (RB) | Logan Busson (LB) | Aveion Chenualt (WR) | Dakari Talbert (RB) | Derion Talbert (WR) | Austin Harmon (OL) | Kayden Clay (LB) | Seandre Maxberry (DL) | Pharo Watts (RB) | Jalen Johnson (OL) |

[b]2024 Outlook:[/b]

Douglass looks to continue to be as it has for its first 7 seasons as a school and a football program and that is to be in the hunt for a state championship. The Broncos are 78-14 in their young history.

Douglass will once again play a very tough schedule to help prepare them for the very difficult 6A post season. They are taking on Bowling Green to open the season in the Rafferty Bowl at WKU and as of now they will be once again playing 6A 2023 champion and preseason #1 Trinity at Douglass as well as home games with Corbin, Bryan Station and on the road to Boyle Co.  and Tates Creek. The remaining games for the schedule is not completed at this time. The is talks to start a regular season series as well with Male. The Broncos along with Coach McPeek and the staff at Douglass will be working hard and looking to make it back to Kroger Field in early December for the 4th time in what will be their 8th season as a program.
Why does that one student- athlete of y’all say “defensive MVP and from Clark County”?  Huh interesting!
The Broncos 2024 Schedule:

8/9/24-    South Oldham (Scrimmage) (Home) 7:00pm
8/16/24-  St. X (Scrimmage) (Away)                 7:00pm

8/24/24-  Bowling Green @WKU Raferty Bowl  8:00pm
8/30/24-  Trinity                   (Home)               7:00pm
9/6/24-    Dupont Manual     (Away)                7:30pm
9/13/24-  Tates Creek           (Away)                6:30pm
9/20/24-  Corbin                    (Home)                7:30pm
10/4/24-  Louisville Male      (Home)                6:30pm
10/11/24- Madison Central   (Away)                7:30pm
10/19/24- Bryan Station       (Home)                12:00pm
10/25/24- GRC                      (Away)                 7:30pm
11/1/24-   Boyle County       (Away)                 7:30pm

11/8/24- KHSAA Playoffs
  • Cactus Jack
At best 7-3, I could also see a 6-4 season. Another tough schedule though.
I would have to say in my opinion this would be the worst case scenario schedule. Frederick Douglass will play the best teams in Kentucky. WOW! I like it!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • Cowboy42
How’d they get out of the game against Hoban?
7-3 at the very worst. Losses being Male, Trinity, and Boyle.
(02-16-2024, 12:18 PM)Waitaminute Wrote: 7-3 at the very worst. Losses being Male, Trinity, and Boyle.
You mean Corbin isn't on the radar to beat them this year?? Better watch not putting them on that list, some on this site will get upset  Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like FastScreen435's post:
  • Hatz, Jack Lambert
(01-08-2024, 10:47 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: I like the Frederick Douglass coach. He sure puts a quality product on the field.

I think he's a quality football coach. Would like to have him here in Corbin.
[-] The following 4 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • 16BBall Fan, Bull got out!, Cowboy42, Son of the Alamo
(02-16-2024, 12:09 PM)Rainmaker33 Wrote: How’d they get out of the game against Hoban?
he country
They did not get out of anything it was just like a bowl game its a bowl and they bring in teams from around the country each year.
  • thsrocks
Douglass--- quality coach, quality school, quality athletes, quality program. Anyone that says otherwise is green with envy.
[-] The following 3 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • 16BBall Fan, Bull got out!, Son of the Alamo
Douglass Football through 7 seasons

Thumbnail(s)

• Bull got out!
(02-16-2024, 01:15 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 10:47 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: I like the Frederick Douglass coach. He sure puts a quality product on the field.

I think he's a quality football coach. Would like to have him here in Corbin.
You’ll really love him come September when the Hounds visit the Farm…I’m literally shocked this game is still on schedule honestly…
Madison Southern's best player, Ethan Moore, has enrolled at Douglass. Last year at Southern as a running back, WR, and QB Moore rushed for 777 yards on only 79 attempts an avg. of 9.8 per attempt and 12 touchdowns. He had 220 yards and 8 touchdowns as a wide-receiver. Moore also played defensive back where he had 5 interceptions.
Gary McPeek back on staff is big for recruiting for the Broncos. They’re about to start raking in kids again.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Waitaminute's post:
  • 16BBall Fan
Former Douglass assistant and EKU assistant Garry McPeek is back as an assistant coach for the Broncos. He is an excellent football coach and will be a big addition to the staff.
  • Bull got out!

I remember looking out on the field prior to the game and thinking, my gosh, we're playing a damn college team. Kinda reminded me of Alcoa(TN). Just as impressive.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • 16BBall Fan
(03-16-2024, 02:19 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: Madison Southern's best player, Ethan Moore, has enrolled at Douglass. Last year at Southern as a running back, WR, and QB Moore rushed for 777 yards on only 79 attempts an avg. of 9.8 per attempt and 12 touchdowns. He had 220 yards and 8 touchdowns as a wide-receiver. Moore also played defensive back where he had 5 interceptions.

Ethan Moore has went back. Gary 0-1 so far on his new recruits.