Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th Region Top 5 - 12/19/23
1.  Perry Central
2.  Knott County
3.  Owsley County
4.  Letcher Central
5.  Estill County

From what I have saw, any those 5 could beat each other on any given night.  Home court team has a big advantage.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DukeBoy's post:
  • DaBulls
(12-19-2023, 12:06 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: 1.  Perry Central
2.  Knott County
3.  Owsley County
4.  Letcher Central
5.  Estill County

From what I have saw, any those 5 could beat each other on any given night.  Home court team has a big advantage.

Solid list,   I think I would go with:

1. Perry Central
2. Letcher Central
3. Owsley County
4. Knott County
5. Leslie County

I do agree that any of them could win on any given night, and I think Hazard is in the discussion as well.  Looks like the second half of the season we will see a few more of them play each other,  it should be fun to watch.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DaBulls's post:
  • DukeBoy
Hazard could beat any them.
Been looking over KHSAA scores for past two weeks. Seems like there really isn’t a clear cut #1 team that consistently is winning by double digits day in day out. Region looks like a toss up still. Estill and Owsley have the edge considering the region is in BF Egypt this year. Two or more hour drive for any of the contenders after the haul there. Please KHSAA get Estill and Powell out of the 14th.
(01-01-2024, 02:51 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Been looking over KHSAA scores for past two weeks.  Seems like there really isn’t a clear cut #1 team that consistently is winning by double digits day in day out.  Region looks like a toss up still.  Estill and Owsley have the edge considering the region is in BF Egypt this year.  Two or more hour drive for any of the contenders after the haul there. Please KHSAA get Estill and Powell out of the 14th.
How far do you think people from the 56th district have to drive to play in the Golden Triangle of Hazard-Hindman-Whitesburg??? It’s a long haul! The road runs both ways. And furthermore, Powell has been in the 14th region for almost 100 years. Maybe they should add OBI and Jackson County to the 14th and move a few schools in the southern part of the region to the 15th. That way they won’t have as far to drive to get to Pikeville for the regional tournament. Problem solved.
Please please please. Shouldn’t be any more than an hour drive for any team. Tournament should be centrally located.
(01-01-2024, 05:44 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Please please please.  Shouldn’t be any more than an hour drive for any team.  Tournament should be centrally located.
Well, that would exclude Powell and Estill I suppose but it would also exclude Knott and Letcher, which are both close to 2 hours from those areas. Hazard is 1 1/2 hours, so it would exclude Perry and Hazard and Leslie.  So I guess just let Breathitt Coliseum host the  girls and boys every year for the best central location.
Obviously that’s not going to happen and the best compromise is to continue rotations so every area (and district) in the region will occasionally get an opportunity to have the tournaments close to their neighborhoods.
I don’t agree. To far away. Geographical hardship. Get with the times and do what’s right. Should have a Super Regional anyway. Best should be playing. Teams that are 2-28 don’t need to be there. I’d be all for playing at Breathitt every year.
I still think PCC is #1  as of today.    LCC and Owsley are a toss up for 2, and Knott is 4.     I think everyone else is a step away from competing on a nightly basis with those 4,  but that doesnt mean that a Hazard or Leslie cant knock off any of them on any given night.     I think playing at Breathitt every year would be horrible for the games.   Yeah its more central but the home court advantage is huge and should not go to the same team every year.   I do think the 14th needs to be reworked, but Im not sure what the best answer is.   I agree asking kids who have to go to school the next day to travel 2.5hrs to play is ridiculous, and I felt the same way when Estill/Powell had to drive to PCC or Leslie.  I know the 15th went to a central neutral court and from what I have heard most people do not like it.    So I guess I wouldn't be in favor of moving Powell/Esitll out and I also would not be for moving LCC or KCC out (which after the golden triangle comment it seems would make some people happy Big Grin ).   I wish we had a neutral place like the 15th does,   that prob would make the most sense.
Any changes in the Top 5?

Big Wins
Owsley has beat Corbin.
Perry beat Knox Central. Hazard

Letcher probably still most dangerous team in the region. Knott is right there.

Heard Estill was solid.
(01-09-2024, 10:31 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Any changes in the Top 5?

Big Wins
Owsley has beat Corbin.
Perry beat Knox Central.  Hazard

Letcher probably still most dangerous team in the region.  Knott is right there.

Heard Estill was solid.

I still have them in the same order for now.    Big wins by the Lady Owls and Pcc, and Letcher over Knott for the second time.    I still think Leslie is in the mix as well as hazard although i would put them a step away from being in the favorite conversation.  Most of the games between these teams are in the last part of the schedule so we still have a lot to be decided i guess.
Now that we have seen a few of these teams play each other does anything think the rankings have changed?
1. Owsley
2. Letcher
3. Knott
4. Perry
5. Estill
6. Leslie