Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food Wars: Burgers
I used to eat all the deluxe+ burgers but as I got a little older it got simpler. I like cheese, slice of onion, very thin layer of ketchup and mustard, steamed bun. I make myself 2, small (1/8th lb) patties and fix myself 2 burgers like this. I like plain Lay's chips now with them instead of French Fries.

The mom and pops around Pikeville that have excellent burgers are Dairy Cheer, Dorsies, Mustang II across from old Millard HS and Time Out in Elkhorn City.

BTW Westside Betsy Layne Dairy Bar was a big go-to back in the day. Always great food. Fatboys in Martin was great but it burned down last year. Woods Grocery at Allen on the old road going toward the lake was an all-time great spot back in the day too. Now we have mostly sucky chains.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Westside
(01-17-2024, 06:37 AM)jetpilot Wrote: I used to eat all the deluxe+ burgers but as I got a little older it got simpler. I like cheese, slice of onion, very thin layer of ketchup and mustard, steamed bun. I make myself 2, small (1/8th lb) patties and fix myself 2 burgers like this. I like plain Lay's chips now with them instead of French Fries.

The mom and pops around Pikeville that have excellent burgers are Dairy Cheer, Dorsies, Mustang II across from old Millard HS and Time Out in Elkhorn City.

BTW Westside Betsy Layne Dairy Bar was a big go-to back in the day. Always great food. Fatboys in Martin was great but it burned down last year. Woods Grocery at Allen on the old road going toward the lake was an all-time great spot back in the day too. Now we have mostly sucky chains.

When I was very young, my mom used to take my brother and me to Dorsies after she got off work.  I haven't eaten there in over 30 years, but it is legendary.  I heard Wood's used to have amazing bologna sandwiches.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Westside's post:
  • jetpilot
We had the Country Store some years ago. They had great burgers, made to order with whatever toppings you wanted, and hand cut from a roll, fried bologna sandwiches. Oh Lord!!! They were delicious. My favorite for the bologna sandwiches were topped with sauteed Vidalia onions, mustard and a fresh tomato.

Now, I'm hungry!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • Westside
(01-17-2024, 04:02 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: We had the Country Store some years ago.  They had great burgers, made to order with whatever toppings you wanted, and hand cut from a roll, fried bologna sandwiches.  Oh Lord!!!  They were delicious.  My favorite for the bologna sandwiches were topped with sauteed Vidalia onions, mustard and a fresh tomato.

Now, I'm hungry!

I used to like mustard or mayo on bologna.  Of the two, I guess I am more of a mayo kind of guy.  I used to love lettuce and tomato on any meat based sandwich, but I an unable to eat lettuce anymore.  If eat onions, they have to have been cooked.
(01-17-2024, 07:05 PM)Westside Wrote:
(01-17-2024, 04:02 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: We had the Country Store some years ago.  They had great burgers, made to order with whatever toppings you wanted, and hand cut from a roll, fried bologna sandwiches.  Oh Lord!!!  They were delicious.  My favorite for the bologna sandwiches were topped with sauteed Vidalia onions, mustard and a fresh tomato.

Now, I'm hungry!

I used to like mustard or mayo on bologna.  Of the two, I guess I am more of a mayo kind of guy.  I used to love lettuce and tomato on any meat based sandwich, but I an unable to eat lettuce anymore.  If eat onions, they have to have been cooked.

Cooked onions are just as good as raw onions!
Vidalias sauteed in butter are better than any other onion, prepared any other way!!!

Sautee some Vidalias, and when they are translucent, add a couple eggs and scramble together. BEST egg sammich in the world!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • jetpilot