Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has Kentucky Basketball become an afterthought in college basketball
After watching Kentucky today and other games this season, I am concerned that our once proud basketball program has become an after thought in college basketball and to the point where only our history is the theme during games rather than the present state of the program. Where and how did this happen? I mean who is to blame? Mitch Barnhart, Tubby Smith? Billy Gillispie too hard or overwhelmed? Poor Recruiting? or what else?

I am really concerned because while Kentucky Basketball has seen shares of difficulty throughout its past, but none quiet like this. I just do not know if we can recover the magic that was Kentucky Basketball. The players just do not seem to get it and it just does not seem like the excitement of what was Kentucky basketball is there.

What do you all think?
Things aren't the same obviously. Hopefully in a year or 2 things will make a turn for the better. UK has a lot of offensive problems IMO. I was discussing this with someone earlier, they have very little to no guard penetration, and kick outs. I think I counted 4 times in the entire 1st half that a guard penetrated the defense, and kicked it out, or took a smart pull-up jumpshot.
Things will get better. Look at 89 and 90. We combined to go under .500 in those two seasons and look at the rebound. I'm sure Kentucky Basketball will be fine again. One or two bad seasons won't change that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Like I stated in another thread like this, Rick Pitino was 14-14 his first season at the helm.
The next season, the were the best team in the SEC.
i agree.....the offense looks terrible and I realize that when you are losing that things look worse than what they actually are, but I just do not see Kentucky pride in this team and that is worries me. I know injuries are really playing a role in this team's problems, but now I wonder if Tubby Smith left because he knew the players he had or I sometimes think Billy Gillispie may be overwhelmed. Just my opinion and will not change things, but I really miss the excitment of Kentucky basketball
zerocode Wrote:I am really concerned because while Kentucky Basketball has seen shares of difficulty throughout its past, but none quiet like this.

I think you need a history lesson man. You must not have a very good memory if you think UK Basketball has never seen times like this. What about when Eddie Sutton went 13-19 in 1989, got us and probation and the cover of Sports Illistrated with the title "Kentucky's Shame"

The next season looked no better, losing scholarships and going 14-14 but UK pulled out of it.

What about the points shaving scandal in the late 40's that cost UK a national title in 53'?

UK has had MUCH worse times than this. This is a small bump in the road if that. UK is fine, have faith.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I been following Kentucky basketball since the days of Rupp. I think if he saw this offense he has probably rolled in his grave. The early Pitino years had the unforgettables which were so proud to put the Kentucky jersy on and were determined not to see the program fall. I wish I could say the same about this team and the state of the program now
Kentucky isn't the same it has been. They just aren't. I don't know whats been up with the either. We just haven't had the type of players that we used to get. I think with Patterson we have one of those kinds of players again. I think we will have a good team in the next couple of years. Just keep on getting good recruits and we will be competing for the SEC Championship and the National Championship.
That is true about the dark times. I do remember them. Each time it took players who had extreme pride in wearing the blue and white. My concern is that there is no such type of players on this team to turn it around.

Coach Rupp looked to Johnny Cox, Adrian Smith, Vern Hatton and the rest of the Fiddlin Five to recover from the point shaving scandel and Coach Pitino had Pelphrey, Woods, Feldhaus, and Farmer.

Maybe I am just a worrier and an old man. But I am really concerned.
zerocode Wrote:I been following Kentucky basketball since the days of Rupp. I think if he saw this offense he has probably rolled in his grave. The early Pitino years had the unforgettables which were so proud to put the Kentucky jersy on and were determined not to see the program fall. I wish I could say the same about this team and the state of the program now

Until UK is back on the cover of Sports Illustrated for "Kentucky's Shame" and we are staring probation in the eye then we don't need to call this the worst time in UK Basketball history. This is nothing. If you've covered the days of UK since Rupp and somehow think this is worse than Eddie Sutton's last season or going undefeated in 53' only to not win the title because of a points shaving scandal then I'd hate to see what a pessimist would think.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
No, when you get a new coach that runs a new system, and you have two players that are out with injuries, what do you expect to do? Billy Gillespie was the right man for the job and he is going to do great things at Kentucky, once players like DeAndre Liggins, Darius Miller, GJ Varilino, KC Ross-Miller, and Dakotah Euton, are in the blue and white, Kentucky will be a top team, I guarantee it. I wish some Kentucky fans had the basketball knowledge to realize that.

Now lets compare this 07-08 Kentucky team to the 04-05 North Carolina team. Matt Dougherty was the coach of the Tar Heels and he had that team at a low point, and once Roy Williams was hired everything changed. Not so much in his first year, but in his second season as the UNC head coach, the Tar Heels won the national championship. I'm not saying UK will win the final four next year, but I'm saying they will be a team that will be much better.

Imagine this.

PG- Derrick Jasper (Backups- GJ Varilino, Micheal Porter)
SG- Jodie Meeks (Backups- KC Ross-Miller, ???)
SF- DeAndre Liggins (Backups- ???)
PF- Darius Miller (Backups- Perry Stevenson, Dakotah Euton, Mark Coury)
C- Patrick Patterson (Backups- Mike Williams, ???)

And that whole lineup could change drastically if Scotty Hopson and Chad Jackson decide to come to UK.

Within the next five seasons Kentucky will make the final four and bring home #8!
i am not saying this is worse than Eddie Sutton time, because the people on the team and program were determined to return the program back to prominence. My concern is that we dont have people like that in the program who care so deeply about Kentucky basketball to lay it on the line to get it back where it is supposed to be
I do hope each of you are right and i am sorry if I upset any of you. I been following UK basketball for a very long time. I just wanted to see what other people were thinking and if they saw the same things I was seeing. Maybe it is just me being worrisome and upset over the losing. I just do not need a lecture about lacking basketball knowledge or basketball history. I started this thread to just talk about the state of the program, not to argue. If that is what I caused is people getting upset then I apologize.
zerocode Wrote:I do hope each of you are right and i am sorry if I upset any of you. I been following UK basketball for a very long time. I just wanted to see what other people were thinking and if they saw the same things I was seeing. Maybe it is just me being worrisome and upset over the losing. I just do not need a lecture about lacking basketball knowledge or basketball history. I started this thread to just talk about the state of the program, not to argue. If that is what I caused is people getting upset then I apologize.

I understand what you mean, but as a die hard Kentucky fan I take it very serious, especially when someone questions the state of the program. No, its not in the greatest shape, but we are still Kentucky, and as Kentucky fans we need to rally around the team and not give up one them.

I cannot even stand to look over on catspause right now, because its horrible to see what our fans think about Kentucky.
This is just a down year...UK will be Nat'l champs again within 4-5 years. Mark it down...
vundy33 Wrote:This is just a down year...UK will be Nat'l champs again within 4-5 years. Mark it down...

Oh no doubt about it.
vundy33 Wrote:This is just a down year...UK will be Nat'l champs again within 4-5 years. Mark it down...
:thumpsup:
I question this teams heart as well, Patterson is the only one that looks like he cares.
I think it is an afterthought. Teams once feared to play the blue and white and expecially DREADED to play them in Rupp. We definately don't have that impression anymore with anyone. But alot of you have to remember all of your college football powers who kind of vanished in the early 90's and now if they lose 2 games a year is a DOWN year like USC. USC had such tradition and then went to winning 4-6 games a year and now if they lose a game it is like losing a Championship to them and there fans. I think UK will get back to that point in a matter of time. All great programs with such traditions can't have it there way every year. Programs are going to struggle. Name me one who doesn't. I know UK fans such as myself are spoiled, but being spoiled is a good thing because who wants failure when you have come accustomed to winning. I love it that all, well most, UK fans think that not winning an NCAA tournament is a failure of a season, I love it that all we want to do is win. It is what makes us obnoxious and it is what makes everyone hate UK, just as everyone in NASCAR hates Jeff Gordon..why??? Because everyone hates a winner, and that is the persona that I want to get back too..that team that EVERYONE loves to hate!
As of right now I say yes. The loss of Jasper and Meeks has really hurt us this season. Hopefully we will improve once they come back. Just think how bad we would be if we still had Tubby...yikes!
It'll take a few more bad years till Tubby players are gone. He almost killed UK basketball.
UK's program hasn't been in the forefront for the past 3 seasons and it won't be for another 2 seasons. Just be patient.
This video makes me wanna cry...

I wish the fans and players acted like this now.
We are just in a bad slump right now and it wont last Coach G will pull us out if it you just have to give him time. But i dont like how fans are already calling for his head i mean this is his 1st year and he has tubby players who was never well coached. Watch and see if in 2 years this team is not back at the top with the countries finest we we belong. We all ned to get behing Coach G and support him in this hard time and not call for his head because this man will lead us to the promiss land.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]