Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 Playoff Predictions
Four weeks left upon the conclusion of tonight's two Monday Night Football games. 

Thoughts or predictions on who makes it and seeding? I'll take two mild upsets for each division's #7 and go with the following:

NFC:
1. San Francisco
2. Philadelphia 
3. Detroit
4. Tampa Bay 
5. Dallas
6. Green Bay 
7. Los Angeles Rams

AFC:
1. Baltimore 
2. Miami
3. Kansas City
4. Jacksonville 
5. Cleveland 
6. Buffalo
7. Houston
The NFL is such a week-to-week league anymore. Just a little over a month ago the 49ers were in the midst of a three-game losing streak, including getting thrashed at home by the Bengals. Now they look like the best team in football. With the expansion of the season to 17-games, it has almost turned into who can be the healthiest at the right time. Look how many backup qb’s are starting right now. And I would bet the house we go to 18 regular season games in the not too distant future. I worry that at some point, the owners greed may kill our favorite sport.

Anyway, back to the original topic, I can’t get a read on the AFC, no one looks like anywhere close to a lock. Oh, for Joe Burrow to be healthy! The Bengals would have a real shot at making another Super Bowl. I can’t trust Lamar, Miami hasn’t beaten any good teams, Jacksonville just doesn’t seem like a team that can win it, and the Chiefs obviously are a shadow of themselves offensively. I could see a wild card team with a stout defense (hello Cleveland! But Joe Flacco?!?) win the conference.
On the NFC side, the Niners, Cowboys and Eagles, despite their little swoon, look better than any AFC team. Their wild card teams don’t look that threatening however, so I’ll take the Niners there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Cactus Jack
(12-12-2023, 09:04 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: The NFL is such a week-to-week league anymore. Just a little over a month ago the 49ers were in the midst of a three-game losing streak, including getting thrashed at home by the Bengals. Now they look like the best team in football. With the expansion of the season to 17-games, it has almost turned into who can be the healthiest at the right time. Look how many backup qb’s are starting right now. And I would bet the house we go to 18 regular season games in the not too distant future. I worry that at some point, the owners greed may kill our favorite sport.

Anyway, back to the original topic, I can’t get a read on the AFC, no one looks like anywhere close to a lock. Oh, for Joe Burrow to be healthy! The Bengals would have a real shot at making another Super Bowl. I can’t trust Lamar, Miami hasn’t beaten any good teams, Jacksonville just doesn’t seem like a team that can win it, and the Chiefs obviously are a shadow of themselves offensively. I could see a wild card team with a stout defense (hello Cleveland! But Joe Flacco?!?) win the conference.
On the NFC side, the Niners, Cowboys and Eagles, despite their little swoon, look better than any AFC team. Their wild card teams don’t look that threatening however, so I’ll take the Niners there.

Spot on with a week-to-week league that is about who is healthiest.

Baltimore and Miami will probably be playing for the AFC's #1 seed in Week 17.

To me, the 49ers are the best team in the league, but they have a lot of injury-prone guys who play huge roles and will be relying on a QB that will probably remind everyone that regular season and playoff football are two different things. Philly has been on a huge slide, but their remaining schedule is pretty soft. San Francisco still has a game with the Ravens and the Rams, so it isn't implausible to see them end up with the same record. Dallas' still has Miami and Detroit in back-to-back games before ending with Washington.

The Rams and Bills are surging right now; I don't see anyone wanting to draw them as the 6 or 7, which is where both essentially have to be (there's a 15% chance that the Bills could end up at #4, but there'd have to be some chaos).

Of the teams with the best records, Detroit is my dark horse. I could see them playing Dallas really well because they're built to play indoors.

Like you, I don't see the Jaguars, Browns, (or Texans) striking fear into anyone given the other possibilities. I can see Jacksonville or Cleveland winning one or two games because there are some things that they can do well, but they aren't very complete teams. I guess I could see the Packers or Buccaneers getting hot and beating someone, but I don't see them, the Saints, or the Vikings really doing enough to string together a few wins for the same reason.
Ravens look head and shoulders above anyone else in the league. It will probably come down to whichever teams Goodell and his goons want to see in the SB this year. Too much money involved now, especially with the league fully embracing gambling, to think that the league doesn't , at least, INFLUENCE games. It most certainly does. And it easily done, via penalties at crucial moments and non-calls on clear holds and PI. It's really not even debatable any more. The intentional grounding on Browning late in the game was one of the most egregious calls I've ever witnessed. No way Mahomes gets penalized for that. Browning got roughed by a Chiefs rusher. No call! Mahomes would have gotten his free 15 yards if a Bengal player had done the same thing. You see things like that all the time. A few calls or no calls can easily influence a games outcome by several points, and the betting lines of most games are just a few points.

Maybe Goodell will see some merit in the storyline of Burrow coming back from injury next season and him and fellow LSU grad, Chase , leading the Bengals to a SB win in New Orleans in February, 2025. Maybe Cincy will get another push from Goodell in '24-25 and win it all in the Bayou State. Without the blessing from the league, you're not gonna get the crucial calls to get you over the finish line. It's not quite WWE, but there are similarities.
[-] The following 2 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • Cactus Jack, Van Hagar
Although some would dismiss what you are saying, I am totally on board with it. To me Mahomes and the Chiefs are the current fair haired boys, channeling the ghost of Tom Brady. They GET calls. There is no way around it. What about the offsides on Chris Jones late in that game that was ignored? And even more telling to me was the way the Lions-Cowboys fiasco was handled. The head ref, Lou Diamond Phillips’ twin brother, totally blew that, then blatantly lied about it (just watch the video), and the NFL has said absolutely nothing about it. How about, “Hey it was a mistake.” Might not make Lions fans happy, but at least acknowledge it was wrong. I’m telling you, the NFL is so far under the covers with the gambling world now, ANYTHING is possible. And that could eventually destroy the golden goose. I’m just waiting for the day when Roger Goodell wakes up with a horse’s head in bed with him.
  • Old School Hound
I'm starting to think that it's Baltimore's year. I do think that their win over a Dolphins team with some key injuries could be a bit overhyped though.

AFC will be a tougher road. Ravens could easily have to beat Buffalo, Cleveland, and Miami (or any two of those and Kansas City) to get to the Super Bowl. If not Baltimore, give me Buffalo, even though they won't have a bye.

San Francisco probably comes out of the NFC, but they're closer to another Purdy egg or key injury from going out in their opener than people may think. I don't think that they're built to play from behind either.

Philadelphia has some things to figure out-- they could win it all or go out immediately and no one could act too surprised. I still think they're my 2 in the NFC though.

Cooling on Detroit now that they have everyone's attention, but they're locked into a seed that avoids San Francisco and they matchup well with Dallas. Still, Goff has never been great against a pass rush that can get home and they're young overall.

Dak seems like a good guy that has survived a pressure cooker, but he's a player with very visible limits. He's also playing for the Dallas Cowboys. Maybe they go a game deeper this year, but I think we get the same ending.

Rams are my upset special but looks like they're going to have a terrible seed. That isn't a good thing in the long term for a team with a shaky kicker.
Baltimore will lay the egg they always do. Browns Id like to see make it to AFC Championship game, imagine if they had a top 10 QB how good they would be.

NFC is San Fran's to lose.

I could see the AFC and NFC champs both being wild card teams.
[-] The following 1 user Likes plantmanky's post:
  • Cactus Jack
Now that the matchups for this weekend are set, which games interest you? Which road teams do you think are most likely to win?

If I was ranking then most likely to least likely to win on the road, I would say 1.Philly, 2.Cleveland, 3. LA Rams, 4. Miami, 5. Green Bay, 6. Pittsburgh.

I know Philly has fallen apart, but surely the defending NFC champs aren’t losing to Baker Mayfiekf. I’m very pumped for Cleveland-Houston, saw CJ Stroud in person in Cincy earlier this year and he was VERY impressive.But Joe Flacco is the hot qb, which means something, and the Browns stout defense is a tough matchup for the rookie, I’m also really looking forward to Rams-Detroit, LA has been great second half of season and Matthew Stafford returns home.I think this will be an excellent game, Miami hasn’t beaten anyone on the road, and gagged down the stretch. Hard to see them beating KC, even in a down year for the Chiefs. Jordan Love looks like the real deal in Green Bay, but their defense isn’t winning in Dallas. And I love Mike Tomlin, but this is the game where I see absolutely no chance for the road team.

I’ll be completely right on a couple of these and totally wrong on the rest. What are your all’s playoff predictions?
  • Cactus Jack
(01-08-2024, 04:01 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Now that the matchups for this weekend are set, which games interest you? Which road teams do you think are most likely to win?

If I was ranking then most likely to least likely to win on the road, I would say 1.Philly, 2.Cleveland, 3. LA Rams, 4. Miami, 5. Green Bay, 6. Pittsburgh.

I know Philly has fallen apart, but surely the defending NFC champs aren’t losing to Baker Mayfiekf. I’m very pumped for Cleveland-Houston, saw CJ Stroud in person in Cincy earlier this year and he was VERY impressive.But Joe Flacco is the hot qb, which means something, and the Browns stout defense is a tough matchup for the rookie, I’m also really looking forward to Rams-Detroit, LA has been great second half of season and Matthew Stafford returns home.I think this will be an excellent game, Miami hasn’t beaten anyone on the road, and gagged down the stretch. Hard to see them beating KC, even in a down year for the Chiefs. Jordan Love looks like the real deal in Green Bay, but their defense isn’t winning in Dallas. And I love Mike Tomlin, but this is the game where I see absolutely no chance for the road team.

I’ll be completely right on a couple of these and totally wrong on the rest. What are your all’s playoff predictions?

Houston in an upset.

Miami is getting three points from Vegas. I'll take them in an upset as well.

Bills roll.

Dallas covers.

Lions and Rams will be the game of the week. I'll stick with Los Angeles.

Philadelphia blows out Tampa Bay.
Seems like we are pretty close in our takes, because I certainly will not be surprised if Houston or the Rams win. I just can’t see Miami, in a game that’s supposed to be maybe 5 below at kickoff, winning in that scenario, but wouldn’t be totally shocked. The only outcome that I would consider a total mindblower would be if Pittsburgh somehow knocks off Buffalo.
  • Cactus Jack
(01-10-2024, 06:20 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Seems like we are pretty close in our takes, because I certainly will not be surprised if Houston or the Rams win. I just can’t see Miami, in a game that’s supposed to be maybe 5 below at kickoff, winning in that scenario, but wouldn’t be totally shocked. The only outcome that I would consider a total mindblower would be if Pittsburgh somehow knocks off Buffalo.

Houston held up for me. Looks like the weather and losses on defense have killed Miami like you predicted. Agree that the only shocker of the weekend would be if the Steelers were to beat Buffalo. Losing a day to the weather may be very detrimental to the Bills in the long run (because they'll lose a day of rest going into the next round).
I think it might be a killer. If they win they’ll get KC at home next week, but the Chiefs are gonna have 48 extra hours of recovery time. That will be a huge advantage,
Didn't see the Browns getting demolished. Wouldn't mind seeing Houston, Buffalo or Detroit winning it all but extremely unlikely.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Cactus Jack
Houston looked damn good yesterday, reminds me of the Bengals team that went to super bowl. They are playing on the house money. Hopefully they can beat the Ravens.
[-] The following 1 user Likes plantmanky's post:
  • Cactus Jack
Well, I was right about being a hot quarterback heading into to the playoffs being a thing. Except I used it on Joe Flacco instead of Jordan Love. Oops. Green Bay sure looked like a team that could give the Niners all they want next week. And the Detroit-LA game lived up to expectations, would love to see the Lions win the NFC. Dan Campbell in the Super Bowl! Oh, and how ‘bout them Cowboys!?!? What a joke.
  • Cactus Jack
(01-15-2024, 08:50 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: Well, I was right about being a hot quarterback heading into to the playoffs being a thing. Except I used it on Joe Flacco instead of Jordan Love. Oops. Green Bay sure looked like a team that could give the Niners all they want next week. And the Detroit-LA game lived up to expectations, would love to see the Lions win the NFC. Dan Campbell in the Super Bowl! Oh, and how ‘bout them Cowboys!?!? What a joke.

Lions to the Super Bowl would be an incredible story. The Rams weren't bad and it was easily the best game of the weekend; I really enjoy watching Nacua. Tampa Bay is playing with house money and may keep it close, but they only beat Carolina 9-0 in an all or nothing game in Week 18 and lost to the Saints in an important Week 17 match-up.

Don't know that Green Bay's defense will hold up against the 49ers, but hoping for a good game.

Think that Allen finally gets his win over Mahomes this week despite the short rest. This will be the best game of the weekend despite the weather.

Hoping that Houston can just keep it close with Baltimore. The Ravens will essentially be playing their first meaningful game in three weeks, so maybe there'll be some rust, but I doubt it.

I thought Dallas would cover and said I wouldn't have been surprised if they lost, but I was shocked at how it went down. In hindsight, should I really have expected anything else though?

Huge cap hit and financial implications for doing so, but wondering if they plan to move on from Dak as soon as next season. Seems like a good guy, but can't see how they plan to build around him long-term. Might need to rip the Band-Aid off now and try to rebuild. It will be an ugly situation if he gets off to a slow start and is out there playing with a good portion of his own fan base hoping he gets hurt. At the same time, can't see a ton of value in trading him or for Dallas to keep him while staying in a position to roster and bring along his heir apparent (unless they're incredibly lucky).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cactus Jack's post:
  • Van Hagar
Dallas is in a tough spot. Don’t think Dak can be a Super Bowl winner (although lesser qbs have been). But Jerry Jones is 81 now, he may be willing to do something seemingly crazy to increase their chances of making a Super Bowl in his lifetime. Will be really interesting to see what plays out there, although I’d bet the house Mike McCarthy is toast.

I like Detroit more than anyone this weekend. I tip my hat to Baker Mayfield, he’s a tough dude even if he is hard to like. But they have been fortunate to be in a terrible division and got a home playoff game against a team that had no interest in playing. Detroit by double digits.

KC-Buffalo could be epic, but I agree with you that Allen is finally going to shake the KC monkey off his back, Buffalo by a fg.

I think the one seeds, especially with their long rest, are gonna hold serve. Either of the underdogs could really put a scare in them, and it wouldn’t be shocking if at least one of the hot young qbs kept it going and engineered a huge upset, but I do think Baltimore and San Fran were the class of the league this year, and will put the upstarts away, at least for this year.
  • Cactus Jack
Well, I’m homeless. Cowboys are bringing McCarthy back. What??? Has Jerry gone senile? Next year May be a total train wreck in Big D.
  • Cactus Jack
Anybody but KC and I'm good.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Old School Hound
(01-19-2024, 02:46 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Anybody but KC and I'm good.

I cant stand Buffalo either.  Or the Ravens........   Damn I have to pull for Houston.
Houston hung tough early. San Francisco did enough to win and probably still come out of the NFC, but they didn't really make it look easy.
Good Lord. Another KC Super Bowl win looks possible all of a sudden, they seemingly have found their offense at just the right time. Please no. Detroit winning the Super Bowl is the only scenario left that’s not gonna make me sick to my stomach. But they are the least likely of the four teams left.
[-] The following 2 users Like Van Hagar's post:
  • Bluecat, Cactus Jack
I couldn't stand the Chiefs before Swift so now it's 100x worse.
For the Lions all the way.
Ravens won't bother me because I love Lamar.
I can deal with SF because I like McCaffrey and Purdy.

So I'm sure it will be the Chiefs.
[-] The following 3 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Bluecat, Cactus Jack, Van Hagar
Goodell and his National Fraud League sure loves those Chiefs. Gotta find a way to get them back in the Big Game. Sickening!
(01-22-2024, 07:41 AM)jetpilot Wrote: I couldn't stand the Chiefs before Swift so now it's 100x worse.

I’m with you right down the line. I love Lamar too, I think he is in the conversation for greatest athlete of my lifetime. I’m just not a Ravens fan overall because of the Bengals. And San Fran I could live with, can you believe it’s been 32 years since they’ve won a Super Bowl? But if the Chiefs get there…….the anointing of Mahomes as the GOAT. The circus of Tay Tay at the Super Bowl. Now that I think about, I just became a huge Ravens fan.
[-] The following 2 users Like Van Hagar's post:
  • Cactus Jack, jetpilot
(01-22-2024, 03:33 PM)Van Hagar Wrote:
(01-22-2024, 07:41 AM)jetpilot Wrote: I couldn't stand the Chiefs before Swift so now it's 100x worse.

I’m with you right down the line. I love Lamar too, I think he is in the conversation for greatest athlete of my lifetime. I’m just not a Ravens fan overall because of the Bengals.  And San Fran I could live with, can you believe it’s been 32 years since they’ve won a Super Bowl? But if the Chiefs get there…….the anointing of Mahomes as the GOAT. The circus of Tay Tay at the Super Bowl.  Now that I think about, I just became a huge Ravens fan.

I can't stand Harbaugh and the Ravens but juxtaposed next to the Chiefs, they become a lot more palatable. I can't stand that bunch!  And although I like Taylor(not Zac, but Swift), I'm not a big fan of her boyfriend. She's way cute, uber-talented, probably smarter than anyone on this board, engaged in the issues of the day, and spot on in her philosophical viewpoints. Having said that, I hate her boyfriend's team. Seems like her love life has become a subplot for analysts to talk about during games. Taylor loves them, leaves them, then writes about them in song. Makes you wonder if she picks these duds just so she can later croon about them in a hit song. Good for her, I guess.  Taylor needs to dump that loser, Kelce,  and let me show that little lady some Old School fun.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Cactus Jack
The potted plant in my kitchen window knows more about world events than Taylor Swift
No doubt that the NFL doesn't mind the extra attention that Taylor Swift brings to games.

I'm hoping for a Baltimore/Detroit Super Bowl. I'd be fine with either winning, thought I'd be for Baltimore.
Being a Bengals fan the AFC game is tough for me. However, and as bad I hate to say it, I would rather the Ravens win than Mahomes/Swift and the Chiefs. Of course I would like to see the Lions win one of us underdog franchises. And as most have said, I could live with the 49ers winning. I guess as long as it isn't the Chiefs I am good with it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bluecat's post:
  • Van Hagar