Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Natives Restless at Pulaski County
It sounds like some parents and players took issue with Coach Hines at the Maroons football banquet today. I've redacted the name from the Facebook post.

Thumbnail(s)

Sad situation this year at Pulaski. If all of these players did leave, proximity would suggest Somerset, but you’d have to think Southwestern with Foley would be the preferred destination, right?
post the video.
(12-11-2023, 12:43 AM)plantmanky Wrote: post the video.
I sent you a DM.
[Video:

]
Well I don’t know about you, but I’m inspired ?
I watched the video. Wow. Just wow.

Heads up though, he ain’t the only coach that acts that way, they just don’t get filmed though or do it at a banquet
(12-11-2023, 12:55 AM)plantmanky Wrote:

]
That is a conversation that should have been had with the parents in a team meeting away from the kids instead of in public at an end of the year banquet that should have been reserved for closing the season on a positive note.  He appears to be frustrated with a lot of things that were going on with the parents but the delivery of his message could have been handled with more tact.
[-] The following 3 users Like Orange Blaze's post:
  • Bull got out!, MFL57, papagrit
I LOVE IT! Great Job Coach Hines.
[-] The following 2 users Like Diablo's post:
  • Axel Foley, Glory_Days
I can’t take Johnny Hines seriously without his sombrero on ……
[-] The following 2 users Like Deuce8's post:
  • Diablo, Gitback Coach
I didn't hear any lies in that speech.
I don't know the situatiion at Pulaski at this point, at least internally. I agree that it should have been said in a mid season or pre season parent meeting rather than at a year end banquet. I always heard good thing about Hines as a coach and how he demanded respect from his players. In my opinion, from what I've seen in my several decades around football, the head coach of the better teams demand the respect and are the mouth and the ego for that team. They aren't buddies to the players so much. That is the assistant coaching staff's job....to get close to the players and deal with personal issues and parents. The head coach of the good programs are the ones that delegate duty, issue discipline and give shout outs for jobs well done and to be real with everyone when things are not going well and their opinion of why they aren't. Hines may have had a stomach full of some of the parents and kids. He may actually be a horses arse. Who knows? I'm not internally familiar with the program a this time but I've had friends whose kids played for him. They didn't like him either, but they respected him. I know the same thing goes on at Bell County. My kids were buddies with a few Bell County players after they graduated from high school. One of those kids was a stud player for Bell. Ol' Dud is not liked by some his former players too much, but he is definitely respected because he was the head coach and is a good coach who wins way more than he loses. Hines has had a bad season and the ones that think they know better are rattling the cages. He is lashing back out at those people. Not a well picked time or place to do that in my opinion. But again, I'm on the outside looking in.
I've always liked Coach Hines, but this is just not a good look for a program already suffering from bad optics. Sounds like a lot of parents were upset that there was no mention of Andrew Dodson who passed away in the Spring.
Folks pay these coaches 7500 a year and think they have to listen to foolishness all the time. Never liked Hines. He bad mouthed a kid in the newspaper years ago at Franklin County, and I always thought he was a jerk, But on this.. I am on his side... This is how we do it.. if you do not like it leave!
Probably should have went about it a whole other way. I can see the max exodous coming.
Some of their assistants are clowns. Former players aka hines kool aid drinkers. Couldn't get another high school job unless it was their former coach hiring them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ghostofjoey's post:
  • Axel Foley
Dear mommy’s and daddy’s of Pulaski co…
Please feel free to send any and all of your kids who Johnny don’t want, over to the briar patch!!!!
(12-11-2023, 11:10 AM)Shogun Wrote: I've always liked Coach Hines, but this is just not a good look for a program already suffering from bad optics. Sounds like a lot of parents were upset that there was no mention of Andrew Dodson who passed away in the Spring.

Lack of empathy definitely seems to be the worst problem.
Also not good when you are talking about how bad the program was when you arrived there, when the coach of that team that you are referencing passed away this year and you honored him at a game. Whether it is true or not, it is not in very good taste.
[-] The following 2 users Like Shogun's post:
  • MFL57, pjdoug
One very ironic thing about Johnny's speech: If the kids from Pulaski try to transfer elsewhere, the administration will fight tooth and nail with the KHSAA to make sure that they are not eligible.
[-] The following 3 users Like Walt Longmire's post:
  • Cactus Jack, Deuce8, pjdoug
(12-11-2023, 02:47 PM)Walt Longmire Wrote: One very ironic thing about Johnny's speech:  If the kids from Pulaski try to transfer elsewhere, the administration will fight tooth and nail with the KHSAA to make sure that they are not eligible.
Would the video of him telling the parents to transfer their kids if they weren’t happy make it easier for the transfer to be approved? A legitimate argument could be made that he created a hostile environment that the parents didn’t feel comfortable in having their kids a part of anymore.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • pjdoug
I’m sure it’s probably only a few that are the cancer or he wouldn’t be saying what he did. I’m sure they all know who they are as well. Good way to deal with it. Maybe the kids should coach. Hostile environment???? Really? Whatever
[-] The following 2 users Like Diablo's post:
  • Future, Glory_Days
(12-11-2023, 03:00 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
(12-11-2023, 02:47 PM)Walt Longmire Wrote: One very ironic thing about Johnny's speech:  If the kids from Pulaski try to transfer elsewhere, the administration will fight tooth and nail with the KHSAA to make sure that they are not eligible.
Would the video of him telling the parents to transfer their kids if they weren’t happy make it easier for the transfer to be approved? A legitimate argument could be made that he created a hostile environment that the parents didn’t feel comfortable in having their kids a part of anymore.

Any kid that leaves there is going to be eligible immediately if their parents hire a descent lawyer.

I’m the current political climate as well as the way we look at bullying, failure to act by administration and coaches can lead to all kinds of issues. If the administration or coaches are seen as bullies, well, an exodus can occur and no one can do a dang thing about it.
Might be time for a mutual parting of ways in Pulaski.

I think Johnny Hines could really bring a lot to a community who wants to rebuild or invest into a program for the first time still.

On the flip side, it feels like the success has plateaued at Pulaski and with two other stout programs competing for real estate.
(12-11-2023, 04:02 PM)Diablo Wrote: I’m sure it’s probably only a few that are the cancer or he wouldn’t be saying what he did.  I’m sure they all know who they are as well.  Good way to deal with it.  Maybe the kids should coach.  Hostile environment????  Really?  Whatever

I'd love to see the posts of all current and past players and parents who are rallying to support him right now. If anyone can find those it'd be good to post them here as well.
Maybe they all should show up in person and show their support
(12-11-2023, 04:31 PM)Shogun Wrote:
(12-11-2023, 04:02 PM)Diablo Wrote: I’m sure it’s probably only a few that are the cancer or he wouldn’t be saying what he did.  I’m sure they all know who they are as well.  Good way to deal with it.  Maybe the kids should coach.  Hostile environment????  Really?  Whatever

I'd love to see the posts of all current and past players and parents who are rallying to support him right now. If anyone can find those it'd be good to post them here as well.

I'm not sure what others are saying about the post, but it has been shared 154 times, so there are at least that many people that aren't supporting him.  And in the original post about 90% of the replies are negative towards the coach.

Very few defenders.  Which I can see, given that he spent most of that speech telling everyone how great he is, and never brought up the player that passed away at all during the banquet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Walt Longmire's post:
  • Cactus Jack
You don’t have to agree with this but that is just the way society is these days.  I can almost guarantee that players and parents that this was directed towards will paint the picture of it being a hostile environment whether or not it is true.  My point in my original post was in this digital age people in positions of authority have to be careful about what they say publicly because everyone has a recording device and it is really easy to have a negative public perception with the things you say.
(12-11-2023, 11:10 AM)Shogun Wrote: I've always liked Coach Hines, but this is just not a good look for a program already suffering from bad optics. Sounds like a lot of parents were upset that there was no mention of Andrew Dodson who passed away in the Spring.
I realize people are probably upset about the Dodson kid situation I would be too but in all fairness to Hines I have heard the parents have the school sued and I would just about guarantee that the boards lawyer has probably told them not to mention the kid in anyway shape form or fashion for some kind of legal reason.
Pikeville Is a Lovely place to live and go to School. Wouldn't have to change Colors either.