Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg 2024
Not a lot of chatter around the Blackcat program this offseason. I thought this very well could be Brewer's last year, but it seems he has weathered the storm. Anyways, what is everyone's thoughts on the state of the program and predictions for next season. Hail Blackcats!
Aug 18, 23 Leslie County home (W) 30 - 21 
Aug 26, 23 East Ridge at Pikeville (W) 26 - 6 Pike County Bowl 
Sep 1, 23 Paintsville away (L) 38 - 40 
Sep 8, 23 Lewis County home (W) 42 - 28 
Sep 15, 23 Pike County Central away (W) 13 - 7 
Sep 22, 23 Betsy Layne away (L) 14 - 33 
Sep 29, 23 Martin County away (L) 0 - 44 
Oct 13, 23 Floyd Central away (L) 28 - 43 
Oct 20, 23 Knott County Central home (W) 52 - 20 
Oct 27, 23 Breathitt County home (L) 7 - 42 
Nov 3, 23 Betsy Layne away (L) 7 - 21 Class 2A 2023 UK HealthCare Sports Medicine

Roster
70 Daniel Adams OL, DL So. 9 Bryce Holbrook QB, DB Fr.
45 Nick Adams OL, DL Sr. 56 Trenton Hurd OL, DL So.
7 Brady Allen QB, LB So. 4 Braydon Jervis WR, DB Sr.
11 Josh Allen WR, DB Jr. 68 Jia Johnson OL, DL So.
88 Bryan Amador PK Sr. 3 Nic Kidd RB, LB Sr.
57 Alexander Carroll OL, DL Fr. 65 Coleton Laferty OL, DL Jr.
15 Matthew Collis WR, DB Fr. 14 Ben Morris WR, DB So.
13 Baron Craft TE, LB So. 51 Bryce Patton OL, LB Sr.
50 Joshua Elkins OL, DL Sr. 6 Kain Patton WR, DB So.
2 Dalton Elliott WR, DB Jr. 58 Byran Powers OL, DL Fr.
78 Logan Hall OL, DL So. 52 Noah Price OL, DL Fr.
10 Alex Harris QB, WR, DB Jr. 33 Maddox Pugh RB, LB Fr.
66 Ashton Harris OL, DL Jr. 21 Jacob Rose RB, LB Sr.
42 Westin Harris TE, LB Jr. 24 Tyler Stephens RB, LB So.
18 Hayden Hartz WR, DB So. 12 Mason Stidham WR, DB Sr.
5 Colin Hatfield RB, DB Fr. 62 Logan Stumbo OL, LB So.
22 Drake Hatfield RB, DB Fr. 63 Seth Wright OL, DL Fr

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/k.../?id=89893
If Brewer is still the coach and no other assistants are hired. Same ol same ol for Prestonsburg if 2024. This year might even be the year kids start to transfer too.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
I think coach Brewer will still be the head coach next fall. He wants to be here for a lot of the right reasons and he puts the work in. Still think he has a lot to figure out this off season and I still think he’s growing as a coach. 2023 team is probably the most talented team under Brewer, but they lacked discipline, toughness, leadership, and experience. It all showed the second half of the season. The 2024 Blackcats will be even more talented, even more experienced, and mature.

I believe coach Brewer needs to add more coaches to the staff that way he and coach Derek Newsome aren’t trying to do it all. More coaches (in my opinion) would help with player relationships, player development, boosters, parent relations, etc. I think Andrew Burchett would be a good addition, Johnny Ray Harris joined the staff this past summer, Seth Hyden, Charlie Johnson, Jeff Terry, are just a few names I think that would help. Hopefully an assistant from another school within the region can join the staff also. That would be a home run addition to the staff and school.

Key losses: Jacob Rose, Josh Elkins, Nick Adams, Logan Hall (transferred)

Key players returning: Logan Stumbo, Dalton Elliott, Alex Harris, Cole Laferty, Westin Harris

Players to keep an eye on: Bryce Holbrook, Kain Patton, Colin Hatfield, Baron Craft, Daniel Adams, Noah Price, Tyler Stephens, Drake Hatfield, Brady Allen, Jia Johnson

I know of 2 that have already transferred in. I believe one was from Martin Co and another from Paintsville.

I think they’ll have about 15 incoming freshman. I expect a few of those kids to get varsity time as backups and on special teams. Prestonsburg should actually have a really nice JV team next fall and that’s super beneficial for player development. This past fall was the first time I believe under Brewer that Pburg was able to play a full JV schedule.

My expectations for this team next season depends upon the maturity of the underclassmen and leadership from this senior group. May have a small senior class, but nearly every senior will be relied upon very heavily. Personally, I want to see the offense have the ability to go no huddle and play with tempo. I’m not saying do it full time, because this roster just can’t with so many playing both ways. I’d also like to see QB Bryce Holbrook more involved in the ground game. Move Alex Harris in the backfield to replace Rose and add more speed to that position. Utilize Elliott and Patton at multiple positions and try and get them in the open field as much as possible. Most importantly, I’d like to see the offense be more aggressive. I thought we got very conservative last season and maybe for the right reasons at times, but this team has the skill and speed to be explosive and high scoring.

A lot can change between now and July, but these are all my thoughts and opinions as of today.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Blackcat 4 Life
(12-06-2023, 10:45 PM)Spud6 Wrote: If Brewer is still the coach and no other assistants are hired.  Same ol same ol for Prestonsburg if 2024.  This year might even be the year kids start to transfer too.
Prestonsburg is getting new turf and is currently modernizing their weight room with all new equipment. That’ll help to a degree. Still think that the staff needs more coaches, particularly skill coaches. Former linemen trying to coach up and develop QBs and other skill position groups isn’t always receptive.
(12-07-2023, 01:38 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(12-06-2023, 10:45 PM)Spud6 Wrote: If Brewer is still the coach and no other assistants are hired.  Same ol same ol for Prestonsburg if 2024.  This year might even be the year kids start to transfer too.
Prestonsburg is getting new turf and is currently modernizing their weight room with all new equipment. That’ll help to a degree. Still think that the staff needs more coaches, particularly skill coaches. Former linemen trying to coach up and develop QBs and other skill position groups isn’t always receptive.
Sounds like the head coach definitely needs more help on his coaching staff. I hope it works out good for you all and you have a good season next year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bud_Bundy's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(12-07-2023, 01:11 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I think coach Brewer will still be the head coach next fall. He wants to be here for a lot of the right reasons and he puts the work in. Still think he has a lot to figure out this off season and I still think he’s growing as a coach. 2023 team is probably the most talented team under Brewer, but they lacked discipline, toughness, leadership, and experience. It all showed the second half of the season. The 2024 Blackcats will be even more talented, even more experienced, and mature.

I believe coach Brewer needs to add more coaches to the staff that way he and coach Derek Newsome aren’t trying to do it all. More coaches (in my opinion) would help with player relationships, player development, boosters, parent relations, etc. I think Andrew Burchett would be a good addition, Johnny Ray Harris joined the staff this past summer, Seth Hyden, Charlie Johnson, Jeff Terry, are just a few names I think that would help. Hopefully an assistant from another school within the region can join the staff also. That would be a home run addition to the staff and school.

Key losses: Jacob Rose, Josh Elkins, Nick Adams, Logan Hall (transferred)

Key players returning: Logan Stumbo, Dalton Elliott, Alex Harris, Cole Laferty, Westin Harris

Players to keep an eye on: Bryce Holbrook, Kain Patton, Colin Hatfield, Baron Craft, Daniel Adams, Noah Price, Tyler Stephens, Drake Hatfield, Brady Allen, Jia Johnson

I know of 2 that have already transferred in. I believe one was from Martin Co and another from Paintsville.

I think they’ll have about 15 incoming freshman. I expect a few of those kids to get varsity time as backups and on special teams. Prestonsburg should actually have a really nice JV team next fall and that’s super beneficial for player development. This past fall was the first time I believe under Brewer that Pburg was able to play a full JV schedule.

My expectations for this team next season depends upon the maturity of the underclassmen and leadership from this senior group. May have a small senior class, but nearly every senior will be relied upon very heavily. Personally, I want to see the offense have the ability to go no huddle and play with tempo. I’m not saying do it full time, because this roster just can’t with so many playing both ways. I’d also like to see QB Bryce Holbrook more involved in the ground game. Move Alex Harris in the backfield to replace Rose and add more speed to that position. Utilize Elliott and Patton at multiple positions and try and get them in the open field as much as possible. Most importantly, I’d like to see the offense be more aggressive. I thought we got very conservative last season and maybe for the right reasons at times, but this team has the skill and speed to be explosive and high scoring.

A lot can change between now and July, but these are all my thoughts and opinions as of today.

Johnny Ray Harris is an amazing coach with an extremely high football IQ.  IMO he was the brains behind a lot of Chuke Williams' success as a coach.  Seth Hyden would be a great coach as well.  He was a great player that saw action as a freshman at EKU on their last great team in 1994.  That was a huge feat as that team had tons of talent with several future NFL players on the roster.  Unfortunately, a reoccurring injury ended his career his sophomore year.  What's even better is that both of these gentlemen are great human beings who would have a huge impact on the players not only on the field but off of it as well.  I have tremendous respect for both gentlemen.
[-] The following 3 users Like Westside's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, Bull got out!, Red and Black
I'm not a big Brewer guy, but if he is going to stay around, he needs to address his coaching staff as Blackcat Alum mentioned. All of the coaches which were mentioned would be great additions and they all have good football backgrounds, but will Brewer actually change anything? He seems pretty loyal to some of those assistants, but changes do need to be made. I just feel like something is off with the culture, and new blood is needed on the coaching staff. I believe there needs to be a change in the philosophy on how the offense is ran. When you have an athlete like Elliott, you have to find ways to get him the ball out in space. I felt like the only time he touched the ball was on jet sweeps and that alone isn't going to work. Harris is another kid who needs the ball more in his hands, other than taking direct snaps at QB. These things can work when playing lesser competition, but when you play decent teams, Prestonsburg doesn't have the line play to consistently run at people with success. They learned the hard way against Martin, Breathitt, and even Betsy Layne. I'm for opening up the offense, and making other teams respect your passing game. Last year, teams packed the box and dared Prestonsburg to throw the ball. With Holbrook having a year under his belt, I look for the passing game to be much better. Losing Logan Hall to transfer hurts a lot, but hopefully someone can step up at Center. If the line can improve, I look for everything else to fall in place. Logan Stumbo will need to be the leader of the defense, because I feel he is their best defender. There is a lot of talent there, but will Brewer be able to get the most out of it? That is the question that needs to be asked!
Since some of y’all brought up additions to the coaching staff, former Paintsville QB standout Chas Harmon would be a great addition as well. His son is coming up through the Pburg youth program.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
[-] The following 1 user Likes Redneck's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(12-07-2023, 02:34 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: I'm not a big Brewer guy, but if he is going to stay around, he needs to address his coaching staff as Blackcat Alum mentioned. All of the coaches which were mentioned would be great additions and they all have good football backgrounds, but will Brewer actually change anything? He seems pretty loyal to some of those assistants, but changes do need to be made. I just feel like something is off with the culture, and new blood is needed on the coaching staff. I believe there needs to be a change in the philosophy on how the offense is ran. When you have an athlete like Elliott, you have to find ways to get him the ball out in space. I felt like the only time he touched the ball was on jet sweeps and that alone isn't going to work. Harris is another kid who needs the ball more in his hands, other than taking direct snaps at QB. These things can work when playing lesser competition, but when you play decent teams, Prestonsburg doesn't have the line play to consistently run at people with success. They learned the hard way against Martin, Breathitt, and even Betsy Layne. I'm for opening up the offense, and making other teams respect your passing game. Last year, teams packed the box and dared Prestonsburg to throw the ball. With Holbrook having a year under his belt, I look for the passing game to be much better. Losing Logan Hall to transfer hurts a lot, but hopefully someone can step up at Center. If the line can improve, I look for everything else to fall in place. Logan Stumbo will need to be the leader of the defense, because I feel he is their best defender. There is a lot of talent there, but will Brewer be able to get the most out of it? That is the question that needs to be asked!

Well said.

Changes definitely need to be made to inject some energy back into the program. I too think that requires new blood as I mentioned in my initial post.

The offense needs adjustments. I'm not completely against what they tried to do this past season as I think the quick passing game and the rushing attack complemented each other well. I just don't think Kain Patton was used nearly enough when he was healthy, they didn't use Elliott in the vertical passing game at all, and the WRs weren't disciplined with their route running or blocking. That's why a coach who can come in and strictly coach up the QBs and skill guys is a MUST if this team wants to win district and host playoff games.

Lastly, Logan Stumbo and Cole Laferty absolutely have to become the leaders of this locker room. They're probably the most respected players on the team. They have to set the standard and hold others accountable. It's vital.
(12-08-2023, 12:37 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(12-07-2023, 02:34 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: I'm not a big Brewer guy, but if he is going to stay around, he needs to address his coaching staff as Blackcat Alum mentioned. All of the coaches which were mentioned would be great additions and they all have good football backgrounds, but will Brewer actually change anything? He seems pretty loyal to some of those assistants, but changes do need to be made. I just feel like something is off with the culture, and new blood is needed on the coaching staff. I believe there needs to be a change in the philosophy on how the offense is ran. When you have an athlete like Elliott, you have to find ways to get him the ball out in space. I felt like the only time he touched the ball was on jet sweeps and that alone isn't going to work. Harris is another kid who needs the ball more in his hands, other than taking direct snaps at QB. These things can work when playing lesser competition, but when you play decent teams, Prestonsburg doesn't have the line play to consistently run at people with success. They learned the hard way against Martin, Breathitt, and even Betsy Layne. I'm for opening up the offense, and making other teams respect your passing game. Last year, teams packed the box and dared Prestonsburg to throw the ball. With Holbrook having a year under his belt, I look for the passing game to be much better. Losing Logan Hall to transfer hurts a lot, but hopefully someone can step up at Center. If the line can improve, I look for everything else to fall in place. Logan Stumbo will need to be the leader of the defense, because I feel he is their best defender. There is a lot of talent there, but will Brewer be able to get the most out of it? That is the question that needs to be asked!

Well said.

Changes definitely need to be made to inject some energy back into the program. I too think that requires new blood as I mentioned in my initial post.

The offense needs adjustments. I'm not completely against what they tried to do this past season as I think the quick passing game and the rushing attack complemented each other well. I just don't think Kain Patton was used nearly enough when he was healthy, they didn't use Elliott in the vertical passing game at all, and the WRs weren't disciplined with their route running or blocking. That's why a coach who can come in and strictly coach up the QBs and skill guys is a MUST if this team wants to win district and host playoff games.

Lastly, Logan Stumbo and Cole Laferty absolutely have to become the leaders of this locker room. They're probably the most respected players on the team. They have to set the standard and hold others accountable. It's vital.
Back to who I suggested earlier, Chas Harmon.
I've know of one specific player transferring from P-Burg to Betsy Layne and I've heard that it's a possibility 2 or 3 more Players may Follow him.
(12-08-2023, 01:21 AM)Redneck Wrote: Back to who I suggested earlier, Chas Harmon.
If Chas is willing to volunteer his time I’d imagine that Brewer would be open to meeting with him.
Alot of optimism it seems. I feel like they will be a little down next year compared to this year. This was one of Coach Brewers best seasons. Anyone know what they’re doing right now? They should probably looked next door at a team like JC and see what they did to turn their program around. Try to mimic that.
(12-08-2023, 02:22 AM)Fanatic42 Wrote: I've know of one specific player transferring from P-Burg to Betsy Layne and I've heard that it's a possibility 2 or 3 more Players may Follow him.
We’ll just have to wait and see how things shape up this offseason for the Blackcats.
The same things are being brought up when I ask Pburg folks about the program. What I’ve learned is that there are too many folks that spend more time trying to get rid of Brewer and going behind his back, rather than jumping on board and supporting him. Those folks are poison to a program. From the grade school up, Pburg has alumni that were very good players themselves, trying to help bring Pburg football back. From flag all the way up through middle school. Well known guys, guys that were key players on that 2001 State Runner-Up team, guys that know what it takes to get to that level. Those guys believe in Brewer. Maybe everyone else should jump on board. Just my 2 cents.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Redneck's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(12-08-2023, 11:19 AM)Upnorth Wrote: Alot of optimism it seems. I feel like they will be a little down next year compared to this year.  This was one of Coach Brewers best seasons. Anyone know what they’re doing right now?  They should probably looked next door at a team like JC and see what they did to turn their program around. Try to mimic that.
I’d like to know how Pburg fans feel this is one of his best season by losing to both county schools and losing again to Betsy Layne in the first round. Also lost to a down Paintsville team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • BlackcatPride32
Lost 3 games in Floyd county it's time to move on
(12-08-2023, 12:15 PM)Gargamels Wrote: Lost 3 games in Floyd county it's time to move on
PBurg was right there last year. Extremely close to taking that next step. It’s not like they had a horrible team. They lost a couple of games that they very well could’ve and maybe should have won with a young QB. I thought they were some really good things for them to build off of.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blue_Bird96's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(12-08-2023, 11:19 AM)Upnorth Wrote: Alot of optimism it seems. I feel like they will be a little down next year compared to this year.  This was one of Coach Brewers best seasons. Anyone know what they’re doing right now?  They should probably looked next door at a team like JC and see what they did to turn their program around. Try to mimic that.
The people on this thread do sound optimistic but if you were to talk to anyone in Prestonsburg you would hear anything but optimism. Most parents and fans have given up on the football program, the parents of the middle school and elementary school kids are trying to decide what school to send their kids to school. I’ve heard a lot of people say they never thought they’d see the day when Prestonsburg would loose to Betsey Layne and Floyd Central and keeping a coach would even be an option. That shows just how far Prestonsburg has fallen. Prestonsburg has some talented athletes coming back next year and they have a lot of talent coming up in the next few years but if there isn’t a change soon there will be so many kids leave there will be no coming back from it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Topcat74's post:
  • HowBoutThemBlackcats
(12-08-2023, 08:01 PM)Topcat74 Wrote:
The people on this thread do sound optimistic but if you were to talk to anyone in Prestonsburg you would hear anything but optimism. Most parents and fans have given up on the football program, the parents of the middle school and elementary school kids are trying to decide what school to send their kids to school. I’ve heard a lot of people say they never thought they’d see the day when Prestonsburg would loose to Betsey Layne and Floyd Central and keeping a coach would even be an option. That shows just how far Prestonsburg has fallen. Prestonsburg has some talented athletes coming back next year and they have a lot of talent coming up in the next few years but if there isn’t a change soon there will be so many kids leave there will be no coming back from it.

I've heard the rumors too, but what I find most puzzling is why losing to Betsy Layne and Floyd Central seems to be so shocking. Guess what folks, it took arguably the most successful Betsy Layne team ever to beat a young inexperienced Prestonsburg team that just graduated 9 starters and like 12 seniors. Also, this current BL team won 3 or 4 straight county championships over Adams. AMS ended that streak last year and won back to back this past season. Floyd Central beat AMS just a few years ago also in middle school. So no, I'm not surprised that Prestonsburg lost to either of those programs. Both have good athletes and the best coaches they've probably ever had.

I can promise everyone that no one is satisfied at Prestonsburg. Everyone wants to win and compete in class 2A. Expectations just need to be realistic. You have quality talent and numbers in the 2026, 2027, 2028, and 2029 classes. All the pieces will finally be there for this program to actually compete in 2A. I think the 2024 Blackcats can win district, but a 2 seed and hosting a playoff game is probably the odds I'd bet on most. 2025 and 2026 Prestonsburg teams can be special and do some things that Prestonsburg hasn't done since 2014. They could possible be even better after that.

The school motto "Loyal & True" used to carry more weight.
(12-08-2023, 11:46 AM)Redneck Wrote: The same things are being brought up when I ask Pburg folks about the program. What  I’ve learned is that there are too many folks that spend more time trying to get rid of Brewer and going behind his back, rather than jumping on board and supporting him. Those folks are poison to a program. From the grade school up, Pburg has alumni that were very good players themselves, trying to help bring Pburg football back. From flag all the way up through middle school. Well known guys, guys that were key players on that 2001 State Runner-Up team, guys that know what it takes to get to that level. Those guys believe in Brewer. Maybe everyone else should jump on board. Just my 2 cents.
Amen to this!

The parents and alum don't realize how easily their negativity can destroy a locker room and steal the joy of football from the kids and the coaches. It happened this past season after losing to Betsy Layne and it was caused by adults. Blame coaches all you want, but when the fun and the joy of football are stripped from a locker room, winning becomes even more difficult.
I can confirm that if things stay the same, there will be another mass exodus with younger kids. This isn’t just hearsay. When you look at the amount of kids within Prestonsburg that have quit certain sports they’ve always played, there’s a major issue. I’m not going in depth because most within this town think I just stir stuff but people come to me with issues and looking for advice. There are a TON of kids walking the halls of Adams Middle and PES with a foot out the door already unless major changes are made. But what do I know? I only called what was going to happen with mass exodus #1 several years ago. It’s about to happen again.
(12-08-2023, 11:23 PM)BCF4L Wrote:
I can confirm that if things stay the same, there will be another mass exodus with younger kids. This isn’t just hearsay. When you look at the amount of kids within Prestonsburg that have quit certain sports they’ve always played, there’s a major issue. I’m not going in depth because most within this town think I just stir stuff but people come to me with issues and looking for advice. There are a TON of kids walking the halls of Adams Middle and PES with a foot out the door already unless major changes are made. But what do I know? I only called what was going to happen with mass exodus #1 several years ago. It’s about to happen again.

I can't believe the amount of folks in Pburg that accept mediocracy and say things are fine.  That ain't Pburg
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • BlackcatPride32
(12-08-2023, 11:48 PM)Spud6 Wrote: I can't believe the amount of folks in Pburg that accept mediocracy and say things are fine.  That ain't Pburg
I haven't seen on here or have heard anyone admit to accepting mediocrity and express that things are fine. 

Changes need to be made that keep athletes at Prestonsburg and even draw athletes from other schools to Prestonsburg.
(12-08-2023, 11:52 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(12-08-2023, 11:48 PM)Spud6 Wrote: I can't believe the amount of folks in Pburg that accept mediocracy and say things are fine.  That ain't Pburg
I haven't seen on here or have heard anyone admit to accepting mediocrity and express that things are fine. 

Changes need to be made that keep athletes at Prestonsburg and even draw athletes from other schools to Prestonsburg.
What’s it gonna take? Get rid of Brewer and hire who? I’ve heard all of the rumors about bringing Jordan Ray in, but I can’t see him leaving Chirico as long as Joe is still coaching.
[-] The following 2 users Like Redneck's post:
  • Blacksmith, Blue_Bird96
(12-09-2023, 01:15 AM)Redneck Wrote:

What’s it gonna take? Get rid of Brewer and hire who? I’ve heard all of the rumors about bringing Jordan Ray in, but I can’t see him leaving Chirico as long as Joe is still coaching.
I wish I could tell you. I've given my opinion in this thread and on this board many times. 

I do know this, Prestonsburg absolutely CANNOT afford to have another mass exodus of transfers. The last one cost Prestonsburg a real opportunity to compete for a football state championship and probably even a Sweet 16 appearance in basketball. Administration can't allow it if they actually care about the future of the football, basketball, and baseball programs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Blacksmith

What about Matt Slone? He took a middle school team with 12 players and  rebuilt that program. In two years they went from 12 players to over 40. I know he didn’t get to coach last year because he had back surgery but he does want to come back. I’ve heard he’s interested in the high school job. He asked to help Brewer and Brewer didn’t want his help as an assistant. He sees him as a threat because the parents and kids love him. He’s was one of the best that ever played for Prestonsburg. He has the personality to get out in the community and get kids.
[-] The following 2 users Like Topcat74's post:
  • BlackcatPride32, Redneck
(12-10-2023, 01:06 PM)Topcat74 Wrote:

What about Matt Slone? He took a middle school team with 12 players and  rebuilt that program. In two years they went from 12 players to over 40. I know he didn’t get to coach last year because he had back surgery but he does want to come back. I’ve heard he’s interested in the high school job. He asked to help Brewer and Brewer didn’t want his help as an assistant. He sees him as a threat because the parents and kids love him. He’s was one of the best that ever played for Prestonsburg. He has the personality to get out in the community and get kids.

Hiring former players at PHS seems to be frowned upon these days ?. You know, the ones that bled and sweat for this program. But what do I know?
(12-10-2023, 01:06 PM)Topcat74 Wrote:

I think Matt would be great. Lord knows he’d build a hell of a staff. If he has approached Brewer and offered to help & Brewer turned him away, then Brewer is a fool. Of course he is a threat, BUT, if you ain’t winning ballgames, to me that’s a bigger threat.