Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overlooked coach
I was just doing the math. Joe Morris has been the head coach of Mayfield Cardinals for 25 seasons now. During that time he has coached in 14 state championships and won 7. He does it with local talent and usually undersized. As far as I know he hasn’t won coach of the year since 2002, his 3rd season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonis55's post:
  • BEChargers
Tht is an impressive resume to not have got coach of the year in that long.
(12-05-2023, 12:56 AM)mysonis55 Wrote: I was just doing the math. Joe Morris has been the head coach of Mayfield Cardinals for 25 seasons now. During that time he has coached in 14 state championships and won 7. He does it with local talent and usually undersized. As far as I know he hasn’t won coach of the year since 2002, his 3rd season.

local talent Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • DangerMouse
IMO one of the best to ever do it. And at a relatively small school. When some of these “big names” that we hear so often are mentioned, Morris never is, and yet he has more titles than most of them and probably more wins than most.
(12-05-2023, 12:56 AM)mysonis55 Wrote: I was just doing the math. Joe Morris has been the head coach of Mayfield Cardinals for 25 seasons now. During that time he has coached in 14 state championships and won 7. He does it with local talent and usually undersized. As far as I know he hasn’t won coach of the year since 2002, his 3rd season.

Suffering from success. When a school like Mayfield performs that well for that long, people take for granted that the rest of the state doesn't just decide to hand you all the trophy every year. Winning a state championship is hard, no matter the school you are at.

I will say though, there is something more to be said about going into a bleak situation and completing transforming the program vs. winning at a traditional powerhouse. Thinking of Keegan Kendrick with this, going from a 4-6 season to a state championship in 6A is almost impossible to emulate.
Coach Morris could care less about any awards for himself. He likes the State Titles better.
Really good resume! But exactly what is he overlooked for? I think the only people that may be held at higher regard are coaches who have done it multiple places.
(12-05-2023, 02:02 PM)pjdoug Wrote:

local talent :D

100% local talent. Just look at the names most years. The names follow families names from our town and county, year in year out.
msi55 is 100% correct, I stand by you on this.
(12-07-2023, 12:53 AM)mysonis55 Wrote:

local talent Big Grin

100% local talent. Just look at the names most years. The names follow families names from our town and county, year in year out.

LOL!

local talent Big Grin

Surrounding counties and states usually do have similar surnames. I'm related to half of Bell County or Corbin rosters. local talent from two states and  three counties. lol
Man, I REALLY want to vent here, but imma take the high road.
He is overlooked. I'd venture to say there are lots of coaches that are overlooked consistently. I know several really good coaches that don't have fancy trophy cases or gaudy records for a multitude of reasons. The biggest thing that I think helps certain schools stay consistently good go beyond just coaching, the culture, the community buy in, and the years of success attract people. A lot of your best programs have several players that have came in from outside the district, but many times it's because of the kids desire to be a part of the culture and program and not because someone "recruited" them to the program.
Well, I’m not gonna argue with someone that has absolutely no knowledge of how we do it here. Those that are from this area will be quick to tell you that things are run the right way.

This was coach Joe’s 25th season as head coach. He has amassed a record of 298-56. That’s a winning percentage of 84%. He has been in the state championship game 14 of those 25 years. He has won 7 state titles in that time.

You factor in that he has done that with almost no D1 talent. Or should I say, none that played D1. I have seen several that I thought should have.
[-] The following 2 users Like mysonis55's post:
  • Gitback Coach, Glory_Days
Overlooked by who? Overlooked for what? Coach of the year? Coaches vote on that right? Maybe theres a reason certain coaches dont win the award.
(12-07-2023, 08:18 AM)pjdoug Wrote:

local talent Big Grin

Surrounding counties and states usually do have similar surnames. I'm related to half of Bell County or Corbin rosters. local talent from two states and  three counties. lol

That's what happens when you marry your cousins  Big Grin .......... JK all, I'm 100% Kentuckian too!
I don't think it all local talent they never get transfers from any school ever in his 25 years any decent player from another school in his seven state championships
(12-08-2023, 02:02 AM)Glory_Days Wrote:
(12-07-2023, 08:18 AM)pjdoug Wrote:

local talent Big Grin

That's what happens when you marry your cousins  Big Grin .......... JK all, I'm 100% Kentuckian too!
Certain areas are well known for certain surnames. For instance: You might see  a  lot of Hensley or Sizemore people in Clay County or a lot of  Creekmore in McCreary and Whitley County while Combs is very popular in Perry County or Fugate  in Perry County.