Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JACOB SAYLOR SELECTED TO LEAD HCHS BLACK BEAR FOOTBALL PROGRAM
congrats and good luck to new head coach Jacob Saylor as he leads the Harlan County Black bears football program
Congratulations!!!
is this the Saylor that was a QB at Cawood?
Good luck to him and the Black Bears program!
(11-28-2023, 12:20 PM)pjdoug Wrote: is this the Saylor that was a QB at Cawood?
yes, has not coached in a long time.
Surprise Surprise a Saylor got a job within Harlan County. I wish him luck.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Corbin's post:
  • Gridiron_Raid
Everyone thought it was going to justin curry early on, but nope they give it to an administrator at the school. I may be wrong but the last staff he was Harlan Ind with the old Donahue around 2010. My question is why not get an active coach, an assistant at a winning football program, or someone that isn’t a Harlan County Boy?
(11-28-2023, 01:59 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: Everyone thought it was going to justin curry early on, but nope they give it to an administrator at the school. I may be wrong but the last staff he was Harlan Ind with the old Donahue around 2010. My question is why not get an active coach, an assistant at a winning football program, or someone that isn’t a Harlan County Boy?

Because politics is alive and well everywhere. And this is not gonna be popular, but it's the truth and must be said. Politics, like religion, poisons everything it comes into contact with.

Good ol' boys in Corbin sent Haddix packing and then rigged the selection of the next coach to give the position to Greer.  Local politics at its worse.  Danville football, Clay basketball...  happens all over .  GOB(Good Ol' Boy) politics ruins things.
[-] The following 2 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • Gitback Coach, Gridiron_Raid
What’s wrong with hiring someone that actually wants to be there in Harlan County? Hire an outsider, they will stay a year or two then leave. Harlan can win with local coaches if they play the best and put the work in.
(11-28-2023, 03:43 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: What’s wrong with hiring someone that actually wants to be there in Harlan County?  Hire an outsider, they will stay a year or two then leave.  Harlan can win with local coaches if they play the best and put the work in.
If this local coach was worth it, and cared about the success of the program, why wasn’t he on the staff if he was already working at the high school? Like I can fathom (but don’t like) hiring a guy who’s never been a head coach, or hasn’t coached in a while (13 years i think but i don’t know for sure), but being in the school and not coaching is the line. I don’t think you’re gonna find success with those three things combined. 

Plus, the local coaches have never won. It takes a larkey coming in again (of that caliber) that has complete control of everyone to be good. Ask anyone on this site if playing to politics and the buddy system is gonna fill a trophy case.

No.  That was Tim Saylor.
(11-28-2023, 04:24 PM)Granny Bear Wrote:

wasn’t tim the coach, and his dad.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gridiron_Raid's post:
  • Granny Bear
Jacob Saylor played quarterback at Cawood in the 1990s, including the 1993 team that was 10-2 and lost to Leslie County in the second round.
I didn't know that!! Sorry Gridiron!!
(11-28-2023, 01:59 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: Everyone thought it was going to justin curry early on, but nope they give it to an administrator at the school. I may be wrong but the last staff he was Harlan Ind with the old Donahue around 2010. My question is why not get an active coach, an assistant at a winning football program, or someone that isn’t a Harlan County Boy?

thank the heavens clay got rid of their problem and made a good hire this time!
I think Jacob given time could do a good job surely if he could get his dad to help some.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Footballcrazyman's post:
  • hchs fan
From what I heard Jacob is putting together a really good staff.
(11-29-2023, 11:35 PM)hearing thier been good staff coming along pretty goodFootballcrazyman Wrote: From what I heard Jacob is putting together a really good staff.
[-] The following 2 users Like Granny Bear's post:
  • Bull got out!, hchs fan
(11-30-2023, 10:06 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: https://harlancountysports.com/14733/foo...IMXU6Ne9XU.
Good article, lots of “harlan county boys” on this staff. Also there’s some ever so slight jabs at the former OC who was not one of the names mentioned coming back. One positive of this hire for sure.

Unless a non district schedule of 1A teams, this team is destined to most likely go 1-9 or 2-8 again. Not much talent on this roster outside of 1-2 returning players, who were not crazy impact players. Guess my question is, how many years will it take to fix this program?? At least until the next district realignment.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gridiron_Raid's post:
  • hchs fan
That's a great question.
Jacob is a phenomenal person; I like him very much. I don't know what kind of coach he is or will be, and he isn't beginning with a whole lot of resources. But it does appear that he wants to start building; and from middle school up.

So I wish him all the luck and support I can give. It will take some time to rebuild this program and he needs the community's support.
[-] The following 2 users Like Granny Bear's post:
  • Bull got out!, hchs fan

I was referring to one maybe 30 years ago?
(11-30-2023, 09:11 PM)pjdoug Wrote:

I was referring to one maybe 30 years ago?

That was probably Jacob.  I was thinking about his father, Tim.  He quarterbacked in the late sixties.  We graduated together.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • pjdoug
New coaches come in, and everything sounds really good.. but you better go get players out to accomplish all those goals...
(11-28-2023, 07:00 PM)HCS Wrote: Jacob Saylor played quarterback at Cawood in the 1990s, including the 1993 team that was 10-2 and lost to Leslie County in the second round.

He was a good quarterback.

i sure did now the curry move from middlesboro to hchs just don't make sense why leave a pretty good program to that dumpster firewithout knowing your the next hc