Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Boyle County
87.50%
Covington Catholic
12.50%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boyle County vs Cov Cath (4A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP) 12/1 - 8PM
LCA game was Boyle’s 2nd game of the year. BC’s defense has come a long way since then.

Just read the article about the game from the NKy Tribune and had to laugh out loud at the claim CovCath has played the ‘tougher’ schedule…higher rpi does not equal tougher schedule
[-] The following 3 users Like CC117's post:
  • AverageJoe, Bull got out!, Jack Lambert
After watching a few Covington Catholic games I don’t think that their offense is even close to LCA, and saying that they have played the tougher schedule is an absolute joke!
Franklin Co’s RPI was higher too…
[-] The following 1 user Likes CC117's post:
  • Jack Lambert
(11-30-2023, 01:04 PM)CC117 Wrote: Franklin Co’s RPI was higher too…
(11-30-2023, 12:58 PM)Jack Lambert Wrote: After watching a few Covington Catholic games I don’t think that their offense is even close to LCA, and saying that they have played the tougher schedule is an absolute joke!

They Both worked the RPI system better than Boyle.  It's no clue that the reward for playing a higher class team is the way to go.  Playing a 6A Ryle, and Simon Kenton and 5A Highlands and Dixie Heights and 9-1 Beechwood pushed them over Boyle.   

Franklin County had 6A Great Crossings, Bryan Station, and GRC with 5A North Laurel, and Southwestern.  

Boyle played a 0-10 2A Danville and a out of state team that really hurt them in the RPI.    

RPI doesn't mean tougher schedule. It all worked out for Boyle as they are back at the State Championship.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rebel55's post:
  • Hatz
I understand how RPI works I just found it comical that the paper up there is slanting that like they played a tougher schedule. I have been told that many of the 5 and 6A schools that BC was playing won’t play anymore. Supposedly this season coach Haddix tried to get St X on the schedule & the schools couldn’t agree on a date. I would far rather BC play 2A teams like LCA or 3A teams like LexCath than some of the 5/6A schools we could play that would do nothing getting us ready for this point in the season
Saying they "worked it" isn't quite fair especially with CovCath. It's not like scheduled a bunch of mopes from higher classes they normally don't play. All the teams you mentioned were geographical and normal opponents. Those teams also ranged from very good to high in quality. 

Franklin Co looks a little more suspicious having first-time meetings with those teams (2nd with Great Crossings). This slate is more than respectable as a whole with Bryan Station being in the 6A finals, Southwestern is always very good in 5A, and North Laurel was very solid while living up to their preseason expectations. Great Crossings and GRC look like possible padding.

Schedules are loaded with top50 teams, but Boyle's has to be considered the tougher of the two. It may not be as drastic as some feel.

CovCath
Highlands
Ryle
Beechwood
Dixie Heights
Simon Kenton

Ashland
Johnson Central
Paducah Tilghman

Boyle Co
Frederick Douglass
Gibson Southern, IN
Lexington Christian
Lexington Catholic
Scott Co
Taylor Co

Corbin
Franklin Co
[-] The following 1 user Likes Glory_Days's post:
  • nemo
(11-30-2023, 02:26 PM)Glory_Days Wrote: Saying they "worked it" isn't quite fair especially with CovCath. It's not like scheduled a bunch of mopes from higher classes they normally don't play. All the teams you mentioned were geographical and normal opponents. Those teams also ranged from very good to high in quality. 

Franklin Co looks a little more suspicious having first-time meetings with those teams (2nd with Great Crossings). This slate is more than respectable as a whole with Bryan Station being in the 6A finals, Southwestern is always very good in 5A, and North Laurel was very solid while living up to their preseason expectations. Great Crossings and GRC look like possible padding.

Schedules are loaded with top50 teams, but Boyle's has to be considered the tougher of the two. It may not be as drastic as some feel.

CovCath
Highlands
Ryle
Beechwood
Dixie Heights
Simon Kenton

Ashland
Johnson Central
Paducah Tilghman

Boyle Co
Frederick Douglass
Gibson Southern, IN
Lexington Christian
Lexington Catholic
Scott Co
Taylor Co

Corbin
Franklin Co

I think it’s as Drastic as most think, IMO in the regular season Covington Catholic only played two really good teams that would be Highlands and Beechwood!
drastic /drăs′tĭk/
adjective
Extreme in effect; severe or radical.

Not surprised by the reaction, saying it was tougher just isn't enough for such a "Drastic" fanbase.

CovCath's SOS compares to CAL, Bowling Green, Scott Co, Owensboro, and Franklin Co. Outside of 6A only Boyle Co, Corbin, Highlands, Cooper, and South Warren rank better. This has no effect on my predictions though.

Boyle Co 34-14
[-] The following 1 user Likes Glory_Days's post:
  • Jack Lambert
At the end of the regular season Calpreps had Boyle as the overall #1 team in the state with a schedule strength of 14.7 and Covington Catholic as 7th with a 7.2 strength of schedule, the higher the number the stronger the schedule.

(11-30-2023, 08:07 PM)Jack Lambert Wrote: At the end of the regular season Calpreps had Boyle as the overall #1 team in the state with a schedule strength of 14.7 and Covington Catholic as 7th with a 7.2 strength of schedule, the higher the number the stronger the schedule.

Actually this ranking was after last week’s games with both teams being 14-0.
Don’t be shocked.

Lots of people are needing Boyle to win. I like that.
"Needing" ???
(12-01-2023, 02:28 AM)BEChargers Wrote: "Needing" ???
Have you read this thread? Needing is an understatement.
It's going to take their best effort, but I believe CovCath makes this a close game.

Hard to bet against Haddix and the Rebels... Boyle wins, 24-17.
(11-28-2023, 11:55 AM)rick2517 Wrote: I want to say Boyle wins but the best team doesn't always win.  I attended the state championship 4 years ago when Boyle County had numerous turnovers and got beat by Johnson Central.  Without a doubt in my mind, Boyle County had the best team that year but with all those turnovers, got beat.
I not sure Boyle was the better team in 2019(Generally the better team don't turn the ball over and give up 300 yards rushing) but I think this game will be similar. These are talented, extremely well coached teams. I think Boyle wins in the closest, most competitive game of the weekend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Oldandfat's post:
  • Diogenes
Game day! Best of luck to both teams!
(11-30-2023, 03:48 PM)Glory_Days Wrote: drastic /drăs′tĭk/
adjective
Extreme in effect; severe or radical.

Not surprised by the reaction, saying it was tougher just isn't enough for such a "Drastic" fanbase.

CovCath's SOS compares to CAL, Bowling Green, Scott Co, Owensboro, and Franklin Co. Outside of 6A only Boyle Co, Corbin, Highlands, Cooper, and South Warren rank better. This has no effect on my predictions though.

Boyle Co 34-14

I don’t think I have ever heard Boyle faithful called a Drastic fan base, I would like to think of us as a very Passionate fan base.

I’ll take Boyle 35-14!

If I’m wrong I’ll take my Crow well done!!!
[-] The following 2 users Like Jack Lambert's post:
  • Bull got out!, Granny Bear
(11-27-2023, 05:46 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(11-25-2023, 09:46 AM)Khalisimo Wrote: with all due respect to covcath there isnt a team in this state better than boyle.

With all due respect to Boyle, there's one better. Unfortunately, they will be high hurdling back at home this weekend. 

With that said, Boyle wins this game easily.

(12-01-2023, 08:43 AM)Oldandfat Wrote:
(11-28-2023, 11:55 AM)rick2517 Wrote: I want to say Boyle wins but the best team doesn't always win.  I attended the state championship 4 years ago when Boyle County had numerous turnovers and got beat by Johnson Central.  Without a doubt in my mind, Boyle County had the best team that year but with all those turnovers, got beat.
I not sure Boyle was the better team in 2019(Generally the better team don't turn the ball over and give up 300 yards rushing) but I think this game will be similar. These are talented, extremely well coached teams. I think Boyle wins in the closest, most competitive game of the weekend.

I don’t disagree but, the margin was a missed EP by a kicker who had not missed all season and is kicking for UK right now. Both teams crossed the goal line the same number of times. That said, Johnson Central was the State Champion and earned it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hatz's post:
  • Diogenes
(12-01-2023, 01:30 PM)Hatz Wrote:
(11-27-2023, 05:46 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(11-25-2023, 09:46 AM)Khalisimo Wrote: with all due respect to covcath there isnt a team in this state better than boyle.

With all due respect to Boyle, there's one better. Unfortunately, they will be high hurdling back at home this weekend. 

With that said, Boyle wins this game easily.

(12-01-2023, 08:43 AM)Oldandfat Wrote:

I don’t disagree but, the margin was a missed EP by a kicker who had not missed all season and is kicking for UK right now. Both teams crossed the goal line the same number of times. That said, Johnson Central was the State Champion and earned it.
5 turnovers by Boyle. 1 being on muffed punt on the 20 yard line that led to an easy TD
[-] The following 1 user Likes FastScreen435's post:
  • Hatz
My final prediction: Boyle by a touchdown in a back-and-forth battle.

As an aside, what are some good restaurants near Kroger Field? I don't get to Lexington much anymore and want to get some of the local flavor, literally. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
wrong thread
Great night to be a Rebel!!! BC wins #12, and Danville officially becomes little brother!!!!
[-] The following 2 users Like CC117's post:
  • BEChargers, toolaidback
(11-27-2023, 09:03 PM)Woodsman Wrote: I love the supreme confidence from Boyle county. This is going to be fun

I don't know about you but I had a blast tonight!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rebel55's post:
  • CC117
I did too. And ‘needing’ to win? No. Just sharing my thoughts that Boyle was the better team that had played a schedule full of tougher opponents going into last night’s game. And that was on full display. Previously undefeated CovCath team with a great coach in EE had no answers. Several times in the last month I read on here in different threads people posting about how many points LCA put up on Boyle which was true, but it was in August!! The 2nd game BC played this season. Boyle’s defense was way underrated the last half of the season. Total dominance last night. I knew any team would have their work cut out for them against this group of seniors playing for their 4th ring. Boyle was #1 in state overall for a reason
(11-30-2023, 12:45 PM)CC117 Wrote: LCA game was Boyle’s 2nd game of the year.  BC’s defense has come a long way since then.

Just read the article about the game from the NKy Tribune and had to laugh out loud at the claim CovCath has played the ‘tougher’ schedule…higher rpi does not equal tougher schedule
Must of been the guy sitting in front of me. He was telling his Colonel friends that Boyle hadn't played anyone good except Franklin Co. and Corbin was ok. At the end the game, I asked him what does that say about CC. Crickets!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Holy Bull's post:
  • Jack Lambert
Corbin just ok? That’s funny. They were hands down the toughest opponent Boyle played all year. They were every bit as good as BC & in my opinion the only thing separating those two this year and last was Boyle’s strength of schedule. They would have done the same thing to CovCath that BC did without a doubt. LCA and Frederick Douglass were also very quality opponents for Boyle. Year in and year out Boyle’s strength of schedule helps them in November and December
[-] The following 1 user Likes CC117's post:
  • Bull got out!
(11-27-2023, 02:01 PM)Rebel55 Wrote:
(11-27-2023, 12:34 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: This game could either be a rout, or the best game of the weekend. Boyle wins regardless i think. If they win, the seniors on this team are 53-3 with 4 state titles. Is that the best ever?
The 2002 class has 4 Titles with a 58-2 record.  15-0 seasons  (99,00,01) and a 13-2 (02).     

The 2003 class also has 4 Titles and a 58-2 record.  15-0 seasons (00,01,03) and 13-2 (02).

These where done in a 4 class system.
I might sound wild, but im going to say this group went through more. 

Even in 6 classes, they played higher competition year in and out to get titles. In the early 2000s it was hopkinsville and rockcastle, who were awesome teams. But they weren’t on the level of some of the 4A teams now. 4A now is almost deeper than 3A then with 4 classes but that’s strictly opinion. 

What isn’t opinion is SOS outside playoffs and then covid. Going through the covid period and coming out dominant is incredible when you see how it affected some teams. In 02-03 there were games against danville, bardstown outside of district. These last few years it’s been FD, LCA, Lex cath, Bowling green, scott county, Bryan station. How many teams have they played in this 4 year run that went on to play in their classes state finals or semis? It has to be a ton. I would just think that’s harder but I do know danville was a beast in that time period and it was a completely different district structure. 

But coming out of covid, with a new coach, and being this dominant is crazy to me. Some teams shut down, some coaches passed away, some school systems wouldn’t even let kids into the school for months during season, but boyle county reigns supreme over everyone and is the best team in football. And the fans they brought last night were amazing to meet and talk with. Wish everyone the best.
[-] The following 4 users Like Gridiron_Raid's post:
  • Bull got out!, CC117, Cowboy42, Rebel55
(12-02-2023, 11:17 AM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote:
(11-27-2023, 02:01 PM)Rebel55 Wrote:
(11-27-2023, 12:34 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: This game could either be a rout, or the best game of the weekend. Boyle wins regardless i think. If they win, the seniors on this team are 53-3 with 4 state titles. Is that the best ever?
The 2002 class has 4 Titles with a 58-2 record.  15-0 seasons  (99,00,01) and a 13-2 (02).     

The 2003 class also has 4 Titles and a 58-2 record.  15-0 seasons (00,01,03) and 13-2 (02).

These where done in a 4 class system.
I might sound wild, but im going to say this group went through more. 

Even in 6 classes, they played higher competition year in and out to get titles. In the early 2000s it was hopkinsville and rockcastle, who were awesome teams. But they weren’t on the level of some of the 4A teams now. 4A now is almost deeper than 3A then with 4 classes but that’s strictly opinion. 

What isn’t opinion is SOS outside playoffs and then covid. Going through the covid period and coming out dominant is incredible when you see how it affected some teams. In 02-03 there were games against danville, bardstown outside of district. These last few years it’s been FD, LCA, Lex cath, Bowling green, scott county, Bryan station. How many teams have they played in this 4 year run that went on to play in their classes state finals or semis? It has to be a ton. I would just think that’s harder but I do know danville was a beast in that time period and it was a completely different district structure. 

But coming out of covid, with a new coach, and being this dominant is crazy to me. Some teams shut down, some coaches passed away, some school systems wouldn’t even let kids into the school for months during season, but boyle county reigns supreme over everyone and is the best team in football. And the fans they brought last night were amazing to meet and talk with. Wish everyone the best.

All of these are valid points.  But a counterpoint will always be 2000, 2001 and 2003.  The only loss for Danville all season in those three years was Boyle.  47-0 in 2000.  The Ads won the A title vs NCC twice and blew out Beechwood in 2003.  Boyle also scheduled Henry Clay (who made 4A semi-finals those years) and Defending AA champs like Breathitt, Bardstown.  

All of that said.  I think this was the best Boyle team I've seen .  Rebel55 and BE or Jack might disagree and I understand if they do.  But I've never seen a Boyle team score so easily every game and play such stand up Defense.  Speed + Toughness = A Great Team.
I remember one of those earlier Boyle teams had a national ranking in the top 20. If I remember correctly, they were ranked number 16 in the country at one point.
Bottom line is to be the man you gotta beat the man and that just didn’t happen period. Justin Haddix and Boyle County are 15-0 and 4A State Champions 4 straight years. Corbin had a chance to beat Boyle and didn’t get it done bottom line. Haddix is smarter than every coach on Corbin’s staff. People saying it’s a shame we’re having to watch the final from home and hope KHSAA got what they wanted.. lmao.. Nothing but excuses everytime Boyle spanks that ass. Corbin made it to the elite 8 in 4A before they meet the elite team in Boyle. So after all the smoke cleared last night and Haddix won four state championships in a row and Corbin was Region Runnerup that puts Corbin around 4th or 5th best team in 4A this season cause if Corbin was better they would have advanced but didn’t because the best team in the state beat them period. If y’all wanna be mad or pissed off at least be mad or pissed off at the ones who ran Haddix off and created this Monster. Karma is a bitch and it’s come full circle now. Congrats Boyle County on four in a row..btw, the RPI didn’t plan a down as Corbin and Boyle still plays in Region Championship without RPI and in the end it would be same result Boyle County is best team in the state and they proved it last night 15-0 State Championship..
[-] The following 5 users Like Cowboy42's post:
  • BEChargers, CC117, Deuce8, Holy Bull, Rebel55
(12-02-2023, 01:06 PM)Hatz Wrote: All of that said.  I think this was the best Boyle team I've seen .  Rebel55 and BE or Jack might disagree and I understand if they do.  But I've never seen a Boyle team score so easily every game and play such stand up Defense.  Speed + Toughness = A Great Team.

I never thought that until last nights game was finished.  There will never be a way to prove it but I believe the team last night could have been the best team there ever was at Boyle County.  The last 2 weeks the way they destroyed two undefeated teams that was 27-0 until they ran into this group of players.  I'm still in awe by the how this team just blew out Covington Catholic like they did against Frederick Douglas.   Unbelievable!
[-] The following 2 users Like Rebel55's post:
  • CC117, Hatz