Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Boyle County
87.50%
Covington Catholic
12.50%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boyle County vs Cov Cath (4A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP) 12/1 - 8PM
CovCath is a stout team that is well coached and all-around very solid,

I just like Boyle's playmaking ability and Boyle's LOS a little more.

Boyle 28
CovCath 17
[-] The following 1 user Likes EKUAlum05's post:
  • BEChargers
(11-27-2023, 02:29 PM)64SUR Wrote: Boyle County back home for another 4A Championship

Boyle County 35
Covington Catholic 13
(11-27-2023, 12:00 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: Boyle County 35
Covington Catholic 14

Thinking about the same.  34-14 Boyle County but I'll take a 1 point win.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rebel55's post:
  • Bull got out!
(11-27-2023, 12:34 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: This game could either be a rout, or the best game of the weekend. Boyle wins regardless i think. If they win, the seniors on this team are 53-3 with 4 state titles. Is that the best ever?

Boyle class from 1999-2002 was 58-2 and four straight titles.  Jacob Tamme, Brodie Overstreet and Michael Paul Webb were in that classs
After watching a couple of Covington Catholic’s games online yesterday I found myself comparing them to a few teams Boyle has played this year compared to LCA they have a better defense but LCA had a better offense, compared to Douglas they have a slightly better offense and Douglas has the better defense, last but not least Comparing them to Corbin I would give Corbin the edge on offense and Corbin definitely has the better defense and it’s not even close on that side of the ball!

Just my opinion!
[-] The following 2 users Like Jack Lambert's post:
  • Bull got out!, Maroon Beech
(11-27-2023, 03:20 PM)Hatz Wrote:
(11-27-2023, 12:34 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: This game could either be a rout, or the best game of the weekend. Boyle wins regardless i think. If they win, the seniors on this team are 53-3 with 4 state titles. Is that the best ever?

Boyle class from 1999-2002 was 58-2 and four straight titles.  Jacob Tamme, Brodie Overstreet and Michael Paul Webb were in that classs
2000-2003 class also won 4 and 58-2.  Brad Cloud, Ian Young, and Jeremy Enlow.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rebel55's post:
  • Hatz
(11-27-2023, 04:38 PM)Rebel55 Wrote:

Wow!! That record alone during these 3 runs is insane. Does anyone have a better record in the state in the last 25yrs?
Highlands won 6 in a row. 2007 thru 2012

Highlands won 6 in a row.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bo67's post:
  • Hatz
(11-25-2023, 09:46 AM)Khalisimo Wrote: with all due respect to covcath there isnt a team in this state better than boyle.

With all due respect to Boyle, there's one better. Unfortunately, they will be high hurdling back at home this weekend. 

With that said, Boyle wins this game easily.
(11-25-2023, 01:51 PM)Jack Lambert Wrote:
(11-25-2023, 12:37 PM)The Red Eminence Wrote: What a historic meeting between these two teams. Instead of offering a score prediction, I'll share my stream of consciousness concerning how I believe the game will turn out.

I think Boyle strikes first and strikes hard. Quisenberry dominates early in the game, but he won't be the only one. I can easily see Avery Bodner having another electric night alongside Quisenberry. Last year, Bodner won praise for his championship performance against the Redhounds. I expect quite a few offensive players to have a big night commensurate with their standard of play. We've heard too many complaints about Boyle's offense relying upon a few key players. At Kroger Field, Boyle fires off every offensive weapon they possess. When the smoke clears at the half, the Rebels will appear dominant.

Then it happens. A defensive player for Covington Catholic, perhaps Cash Harney at DB, gets a pick. You'll feel a sudden shift in momentum as the Cov Cath defense that shut down Paducah Tilghman returns to form. After performances from players like Owen Leen, we'll have a ball game. 

With the final quarter, Covington Catholic runs into an all too familiar problem for Boyle's opponents. Well, I think the problem will run into them. At a pivotal moment, Boyle's defense steps up and gets a stop. It might be similar to the Corbin game where the Redhounds were stopped at fourth and one. I firmly believe that Boyle's defense, the continually unsung heroes of this season, will finally get the praise they deserve. On the Bluegrass Sports Nation Facebook page, the post announcing last night's result has a photo of a lineman hoisting Dawson up in triumphant celebration. Within that photo, one can find the keys to Boyle's success. I predict the Rebels win in a competitive game.

Of course, I could easily be wrong on all of this. I am not claiming this will happen, merely sharing my thoughts. 

I don't want to belabor the point, but there is an interesting fact lurking in the background. If the Rebels win, then Boyle County overtakes their cross-town rival Danville in number of championships. The Rebels: 12. The Admirals: 11. I made this point in an earlier post as well. Fans of the rivalry might find this point interesting.

I’ve been waiting to pass Danville in State Championships for a long time now, I use to see T-shirts the Danville fans would wear that said the difference in a Dynasty and a wannabe is about 3 miles, Boy how things have changed.

I know that will be some well-deserved, sweet tasting revenge. Bragging rights is probably the better way to say it.
[-] The following 2 users Like Glory_Days's post:
  • Jack Lambert, The Red Eminence
I love the supreme confidence from Boyle county. This is going to be fun
[-] The following 1 user Likes Woodsman's post:
  • HighViz
(11-27-2023, 06:09 PM)Glory_Days Wrote:
(11-25-2023, 12:37 PM)The Red Eminence Wrote: What a historic meeting between these two teams. Instead of offering a score prediction, I'll share my stream of consciousness concerning how I believe the game will turn out.

I think Boyle strikes first and strikes hard. Quisenberry dominates early in the game, but he won't be the only one. I can easily see Avery Bodner having another electric night alongside Quisenberry. Last year, Bodner won praise for his championship performance against the Redhounds. I expect quite a few offensive players to have a big night commensurate with their standard of play. We've heard too many complaints about Boyle's offense relying upon a few key players. At Kroger Field, Boyle fires off every offensive weapon they possess. When the smoke clears at the half, the Rebels will appear dominant.

Then it happens. A defensive player for Covington Catholic, perhaps Cash Harney at DB, gets a pick. You'll feel a sudden shift in momentum as the Cov Cath defense that shut down Paducah Tilghman returns to form. After performances from players like Owen Leen, we'll have a ball game. 

With the final quarter, Covington Catholic runs into an all too familiar problem for Boyle's opponents. Well, I think the problem will run into them. At a pivotal moment, Boyle's defense steps up and gets a stop. It might be similar to the Corbin game where the Redhounds were stopped at fourth and one. I firmly believe that Boyle's defense, the continually unsung heroes of this season, will finally get the praise they deserve. On the Bluegrass Sports Nation Facebook page, the post announcing last night's result has a photo of a lineman hoisting Dawson up in triumphant celebration. Within that photo, one can find the keys to Boyle's success. I predict the Rebels win in a competitive game.

Of course, I could easily be wrong on all of this. I am not claiming this will happen, merely sharing my thoughts. 

I don't want to belabor the point, but there is an interesting fact lurking in the background. If the Rebels win, then Boyle County overtakes their cross-town rival Danville in number of championships. The Rebels: 12. The Admirals: 11. I made this point in an earlier post as well. Fans of the rivalry might find this point interesting.

I’ve been waiting to pass Danville in State Championships for a long time now, I use to see T-shirts the Danville fans would wear that said the difference in a Dynasty and a wannabe is about 3 miles, Boy how things have changed.

I know that will be some well-deserved, sweet tasting revenge. Bragging rights is probably the better way to say it.

There's a quote, "Nothing wilts faster than laurels that have been rested upon." Boyle avoids the common danger of success found within that saying: complacency. They acquire championship after championship but still keep a humble mentality. If you watch them play, you'd almost think that they were chasing their first title. That's how hungry they are for it. That's why they will enjoy continued success. It's certainly been fun watching them on their path to another championship game!
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Red Eminence's post:
  • Jack Lambert
(11-27-2023, 11:39 AM)Rebel55 Wrote:
(11-27-2023, 11:21 AM)know1 Wrote: The weather forecast isn't looking real great.
As long as it's not any worse than last year's Corbin game when It started raining good at kickoff.  As of this morning my app says 85% chance of rain and should be gone by 3:00pm on Friday with 0% at kickoff, but I'm sure that will change at least 10 times this week.

This is Kentucky, so even the most gifted meteorologist cannot predict the weather here. It could be Freezing Rain and snow in the morning, 90 in the afternoon, and a tornado in the evening. Heck, can’t even rule out a hurricane rolling through at some point.

And we can look back at these past few years and say Quisenberry, driver, Zeismer, dawson, bodner, and probably brown. How many schools in the state has this many amazing runs?
(11-27-2023, 10:00 PM)The Red Eminence Wrote:

There's a quote, "Nothing wilts faster than laurels that have been rested upon." Boyle avoids the common danger of success found within that saying: complacency. They acquire championship after championship but still keep a humble mentality. If you watch them play, you'd almost think that they were chasing their first title. That's how hungry they are for it. That's why they will enjoy continued success. It's certainly been fun watching them on their path to another championship game!
Absolutely phenomenal!!  You are very articulate. Have you thought about writing poetry? You would be a natural. Honestly.
(11-27-2023, 05:46 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(11-25-2023, 09:46 AM)Khalisimo Wrote: with all due respect to covcath there isnt a team in this state better than boyle.

With all due respect to Boyle, there's one better. Unfortunately, they will be high hurdling back at home this weekend. 

It would be interesting to if you could find a way to really determine who is better...like the two teams playing each other or something.
[-] The following 7 users Like FastScreen435's post:
  • CC117, Deuce8, Hatz, Holy Bull, know1, Shogun, The Red Eminence
I want to say Boyle wins but the best team doesn't always win. I attended the state championship 4 years ago when Boyle County had numerous turnovers and got beat by Johnson Central. Without a doubt in my mind, Boyle County had the best team that year but with all those turnovers, got beat.
[-] The following 2 users Like rick2517's post:
  • Jack Lambert, Son of the Alamo
Haddix’s teams usually overachieve in these games. Chuck Smith was coach in 2019. That’s not to say Boyle won’t have a miscue or a turnover but in the last 3 title games I only remember 1 turnover. Boyle threw an interception in the 4th quarter last year that worked out very much like a punt since it was a 3rd & long anyway. Covington Catholic may very well win but in order to do so I believe they will have to beat Boyle at their best. Boyle most likely won’t give them 3 turnovers and a safety. This bunch is too good and too focused
[-] The following 1 user Likes CC117's post:
  • Holy Bull

i understand feeling that way, i do, but they had their chance to prove they were a better team. they did not. i will say Corbin has as good of an argument as any for #2 in the state... but they have no argument for #1. they had a chance. they lost.
[-] The following 4 users Like Khalisimo's post:
  • Belichick, Deuce8, Hatz, Holy Bull
(11-28-2023, 12:58 AM)Woodsman Wrote:
(11-27-2023, 10:00 PM)The Red Eminence Wrote:

Absolutely phenomenal!!  You are very articulate. Have you thought about writing poetry? You would be a natural.  Honestly.

Thank you! I don't dabble in poetry, but I've certainly enjoyed posting on BGR in the short time I've been here.
(11-28-2023, 12:34 AM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote:

And we can look back at these past few years and say Quisenberry, driver, Zeismer, dawson, bodner, and probably brown. How many schools in the state has this many amazing runs?

You might want to add #58 Austin Gorley to that list of names I believe he’s started every game on the O-line since his freshman year and at 6’ 5” 300 LBS he’s been the driving force in Boyle’s O-line for 4 years and in my opinion will be missed as much as any Senior on the team this year!
[-] The following 3 users Like Jack Lambert's post:
  • Hatz, Maroon Beech, The Red Eminence
(11-28-2023, 10:32 AM)FastScreen435 Wrote:

It would be interesting to if you could find a way to really determine who is better...like the two teams playing each other or something.
Now that would awesome !!!!
If “if’s” and “ buts” were candies and nuts ……The puppy’s would have 100 State Championships.
[-] The following 2 users Like Deuce8's post:
  • FastScreen435, Holy Bull
Please don't feed the troll. He posts that stupid stuff for reaction. It's the adult version of a toddler's tantrum, an elementary kid acting out, the immature way a middle school boy insults a girl as a form of flattery, or a high schooler acting dumb to be cool. It's all about getting some attention and frankly its quite sad.
[-] The following 2 users Like Glory_Days's post:
  • CC117, Deuce8
(11-29-2023, 10:25 PM)Jack Lambert Wrote:
(11-28-2023, 12:34 AM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote:

You might want to add #58 Austin Gorley to that list of names I believe he’s started every game on the O-line since his freshman year and at 6’ 5” 300 LBS he’s been the driving force in Boyle’s O-line for 4 years and in my opinion will be missed as much as any Senior on the team this year!
You are right, Gorley is a stud and knows how to move people.  I have really liked watching him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Holy Bull's post:
  • Jack Lambert
After reading on another forum I honestly believe that the Covington Catholic fans think that Boyle will not be any better than Paducah Tilghman was last week if so I think they’re in for a Rude Awakening!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jack Lambert's post:
  • CC117
I feel pretty certain that BC won’t have 3 turnovers and a safety. I also think experience on this stage matters yes CovCath as a program has been there but unless there are 5th year Covid kids on their team none of these kids have. Pretty tall order for anybody to take a 4th ring away from this group of Boyle seniors. If BC plays like they have played all year long in these type games I see #12 for BC
Weather forecast is looking pretty decent for the game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes know1's post:
  • CC117
I had to eat my crow last week by picking PT over Cov Cath. Turnovers killed my prediction. I’ll stand on the fact that PT had the skill to win that game, but Cov Cath was the better team. I don’t see Boyle making the same mistakes as PT, but I’m not ruling CC out just yet. They will for sure need more than 22 points to pull this one out, but if I were a betting man I would take Boyle for the win. Looking forward to this game as I’m sure most across the state are. Good luck to both programs and congratulations on making it, that in itself is an accomplishment with the loaded 4a field this year.
[-] The following 2 users Like Redbird Believer's post:
  • Jack Lambert, know1
Boyle 49- 28
Boyle’s D has not given up more than 14 points since September 22 and is much better than they are given credit for. Corbin was averaging 41 points a game. I think FD was averaging 26 a game and scored 7. Corbin’s D had given up 56 total points in 12 games and I believe most of that was when jv was in there. Boyle scored 21. Boyle is going to be tough to beat
[-] The following 1 user Likes CC117's post:
  • Jack Lambert
(11-30-2023, 12:32 PM)CC117 Wrote: Boyle’s D has not given up more than 14 points since September 22 and is much better than they are given credit for.  Corbin was averaging 41 points a game.  I think FD was averaging 26 a game and scored 7.  Corbin’s D had given up 56 total points in 12 games and I believe most of that was when jv was in there.  Boyle scored 21.  Boyle is going to be tough to beat
I think CovCath can/will move the ball.  Very similar O to LCA  (sept game giving up 38 points). That being said- I don't see CovCath stopping them.   Will be a high scoring game imo.