Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rivalry Week Upsets
Who do you have? 

I think Ole Miss have revenge for last year's game on their mind and handles Mississippi State in the Egg Bowl. I see Alabama throttling Auburn. 

I think Kentucky plays Louisville closer than expected and that Florida plays Florida State closer than expected (it's basically a bowl game for the latter). I wouldn't be shocked if the underdogs won either, but won't use those as my pick. Wouldn't be shocked to see TCU upset Oklahoma, but won't pick that one either. I'd take UTSA upsetting Tulane if there wasn't all types of speculation in the media about UTSA's Jeff Traylor already having interviewed with Texas A&M-- it's probably just too much of a distraction. 

Who does this leave me with? Arkansas over Missouri. The Razorbacks have confirmed that Pittman has job security and I think that they're better than their record indicates and that Missouri isn't quite as good as their record indicates. 

I don't think that you can really call any outcome in the Ohio State/Michigan game an "upset". Don't know if you can call Oregon State beating Oregon an upset per se either, but the Ducks are favored by about two touchdowns, so I'd say that's an upset if the Beavers can pull it off. Same logic for South Carolina/Clemson, as the Tigers are a 7.5 point favorite. 

Outside of my Arkansas pick, I don't know which one it will be, but something tells me that either Oregon State/Oregon or Washington State/Washington, with all of the emotions that are going into those games, will at least be a game that ends in heartbreak for someone. It wouldn't shock me if one of the two gets upset, but I'll at least call one of those games going down to the final possession.
I wish I could talk myself into a scenario where Vandy would knock off Tennessee this week. But I saw the UK-Vandy game in person, and, uh, the Commodores stink. I feel like your Arkansas take is exactly where I would fall too if I had to pick one upset. Oregon St. is legit, that would only be a mild upset, but Bo Nix and the Ducks are playing so well right now, I think they will pull out the win. (Side note; doesn’t it seem like this is the 10th year or so in college for Nix? He’s been around forever.) Anyway, here’s hoping for an Oregon-Washington rematch in the PAC-12 title game, their first meeting was the most entertaining game of the entire college season. And mark this one down, even though it’s not this weekend. Bama over Georgia in the SEC championship game. Just feel like Saban is gonna turn the tables this year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Cactus Jack
Ole Miss is officially on upset alert. If they drop this one and Mississippi State becomes bowl eligible, that probably locks in Kentucky to Charlotte for the Duke's Mayo Bowl.
Was pretty far off on Arkansas upsetting Missouri, but at least it was a game for a half. Wondering what Kentucky's win over Louisville does for the coaching carousel and Kentucky's bowl slot.
(11-23-2023, 09:31 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: I wish I could talk myself into a scenario where Vandy would knock off Tennessee this week. But I saw the UK-Vandy game in person, and, uh, the Commodores stink. I feel like your Arkansas take is exactly where I would fall too if I had to pick one upset. Oregon St. is legit, that would only be a mild upset, but Bo Nix and the Ducks are playing so well right now, I think they will pull out the win. (Side note; doesn’t it seem like this is the 10th year or so in college for Nix? He’s been around forever.) Anyway, here’s hoping for an Oregon-Washington rematch in the PAC-12 title game, their first meeting was the most entertaining game of the entire college season. And mark this one down, even though it’s not this weekend. Bama over Georgia in the SEC championship game. Just feel like Saban is gonna turn the tables this year.

There's 3:33 left in Q3 and Auburn leads Alabama 21-20 and has possession. No matter what happens from here, I think the Tide's stock is irreparably damaged now. I'm imagining that Texas fans are really behind Auburn and Washington State right now and will be all for Florida later.
Yeah, I’m stunned by this game. Auburn lost by 21 at home last week to New Mexico St.!!! I thought the Tide would roll easily in this one.
  • Cactus Jack
(11-25-2023, 08:33 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Yeah, I’m stunned by this game. Auburn lost by 21 at home last week to New Mexico St.!!! I thought the Tide would roll easily in this one.

With you 100%. Washington might have done the same type of damage to their resume even though they're up 21-14 on a 5-win Washington State team.

I guess if Alabama, Washington, and Florida State all survive scares then it doesn't matter as much, but I'd still think that Oregon and Texas are the biggest benefactors. Hard for pollsters to justify one of the last impressions that voters all see in prime time.

Auburn burning that timeout early in the 2nd (even though they scored the very next play) could be a big part of this ending. Obviously the same for the muffed punt.
How does that happen? You have eight back in coverage and someone still gets behind you? Unreal ending to the Bama game. I’ll still say they are beating Georgia next week (although I sure don’t feel as strongly about it now) and if they are 12-1 I don’t think the committee will hold this one against them, it’ll just be an ‘anything can happen in a rivalry game’ situation. Of course, if Georgia, Michigan, Florida St. and Washington win out, then no chaos at all, just four undefeated teams in the playoffs.
  • Cactus Jack
(11-25-2023, 09:13 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: How does that happen? You have eight back in coverage and someone still gets behind you? Unreal ending to the Bama game. I’ll still say they are beating Georgia next week (although I sure don’t feel as strongly about it now) and if they are 12-1 I don’t think the committee will hold this one against them, it’ll just be an ‘anything can happen in a rivalry game’ situation. Of course, if Georgia, Michigan, Florida St. and Washington win out, then no chaos at all, just four undefeated teams in the playoffs.

If you are an SEC fan, you probably want to see the conference's representative avoid Oregon in the first game. Let Michigan and Oregon beat one another up if they are both end up there. Past that, I'm not sure that Georgia or Alabama should be THAT much more worried about Washington, Texas, or Florida State. Not sure that Ohio State has a great chance at making it, but if they do, they're probably on the tier with Michigan and Oregon as teams you want to avoid but it'd take some chaos to get them all three of those in.

Florida State is not playing like a team who has a lot of confidence of in their quarterback. Lots of handoffs and safe looks.