Poll: Who Wins
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Paducah Tilghman
37.14%
Covington Catholic
62.86%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Paducah Tilghman at Covington Catholic 11/24 4th Round Playoffs
I’m not sure the exact number but I believe Boyle has 5-6 kids that have D-1 offers and legit speed to burn on this year’s team and a coaching staff that I would put up against any in the state they’ve won 3 straight state championships and this team is the best Haddix has had since he’s been at Boyle and for you to say PT will have to beat themselves with turnovers and penalties for Covington Catholic or Boyle to beat them makes me wonder, other than Mayfield who was the last team to win a state Title from Western Ky? historically other than Mayfield Western Kentucky football is not at the same level as the rest of the state, one more question other than Mayfield Tilghman’s schedule is so weak how do you know that they are as good as you say they are?
Covington Cath will control the ball with a strong running game, and a short to medium passing attack. They will limit PT touches and win by 14.
(11-20-2023, 02:44 PM)mysonis55 Wrote:
(11-20-2023, 02:33 PM)Jack Lambert Wrote: Boyle LCA 2nd game of the season enough said and LCA’s defense gave up a lot of points to the better teams they played this year defense was not their strong suit!

(11-20-2023, 02:19 PM)mysonis55 Wrote: I believe Boyle Co beat LCA by 9, on their own field. Mayfield beat LCA by 22 on their own field. PT beat Mayfield by 7 on their own field. The numbers add up.

(11-20-2023, 02:19 PM)mysonis55 Wrote: I believe Boyle Co beat LCA by 9, on their own field. Mayfield beat LCA by 22 on their own field. PT beat Mayfield by 7 on their own field. The numbers add up.

Come on 55 your a football guy do you actually think Boyle’s defense is the same as it was against LCA the second game of the season?
I 100% agree with that. That was what I couldn’t figure as to how they kept getting the lions share of press. Champions have to play defense. Offense is nice but, defense wins the big one. I’m not just saying what I said because of the scores. I’m basing it on the talent that I see on the field. I’ve watched high school ball for many years. I cannot recall a more talented team than PT has this year. That is saying a lot. Now, can they penalize and turnover themselves into losing, yes. That is the best bet for Cov Cath or Boyle against PT. Just remember how much everyone thought of them 2 years ago, as sophomores, when they almost beat Belfry in the 3a title game. This is that bunch as seniors, only with more talent, including 2 four star athletes added to the mix.

Let’s travel back two years and assess those Tilghman sophomores that lost to a 6 loss Belfry team who had a cakewalk to the finals the last good team Belfry played that season was JC which beat Belfry like a drum 48-22 the same JC team that the Boyle Sophomores beat for the state championship 30-13 food for thought!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jack Lambert's post:
  • CC117
Avery Bodner, Sage Dawson, Montavian Quisenberry, Brock Driver, Seneca Driver, D Brown, and Maddix Hager of BC all have d1 offers and I may have forgotten someone
[-] The following 1 user Likes CC117's post:
  • Jack Lambert
I’ll still take Covington Catholic by 7-14 points Friday night!
If PT’s team is looking that far beyond Friday like their fans on here are it’s probably a moot point anyway
Friday night may shed some light for the doubters. And the last team in far west Ky to win a state title was PT in 2009. They had lots of doubters then and beat an undefeated Somerset.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonis55's post:
  • Deuce8
We don’t have to agree. I’m just putting it out there. You will see in the end.
I would imagine pt getting a hotel for this?

If so please treat your players to La Rosa pizza they will love it
PT according to maxpreps beat 3 teams that finished the season with winning records. Mayfield was their best win by far. Boyle beat 8 teams that finished the year with winning records, with wins over LCA, Frederick Douglass and #2 overall ranked Corbin last week. I have already said on a given night sure anything can happen. However, there’s a reason BC is the #1 overall team in the state and PT will have a tall order. You can’t play a cupcake schedule all year and knock off seasoned teams who have played much tougher competition all year, been down in games and had to fight and find a way. We will see is right…assuming both make it beyond Friday
Lots of back and forth in this. All I know is 4A looks like a meat grinder from here on out and whoever wins the title will likely have to earn it the hard way. Boyle is obviously the favorite and rightfully so, but I don’t see an easy game for any of the 4 remaining. Should be interesting to see how it unfolds. I would personally like to see PT pull it off though. They were a once proud program that fell on hard times, but seem to have been resurrected the last couple years.
And they very well could. I’m not too proud to eat my crow and say I was wrong if that winds up being the case. I have been wrong plenty of times before. I just haven’t seen anything yet to convince me like some are convinced just because PT beat Mayfield. Coach Haddix’s teams since he has been at BC generally don’t beat themselves. And his team this year is as loaded as what has been said about PT and has the resume to go with it
If I’m wrong I want my Crow well done!

My mindset for most of the year is that after Boyle and Corbin there was a wide gap but you never know 55 could be right we’ll find out soon enough.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jack Lambert's post:
  • mysonis55
I don’t really have a dog in that fight. I would like to see PT rise again. It’s good for west Ky. But, I’m just basing it off what I’ve seen on the field. I’ve been wrong before as we all know.
(11-20-2023, 04:44 PM)mysonis55 Wrote: Friday night may shed some light for the doubters. And the last team in far west Ky to win a state title was PT in 2009. They had lots of doubters then and beat an undefeated Somerset.
I was just talking about that game today and I’ve been saying it all year . That 2009 team was 4-6 going into the playoffs !!!finished 9-6 state champions. I picked PT as my dark horse… But…. I’ve also watched several Boyle co games this year and Haddix will Get a 4 peat …. Hope to see a Boyle -PT final …..
[-] The following 1 user Likes Deuce8's post:
  • Jack Lambert
Like all 4A threads, not exclusive, several posters (always predictable) can't type a sentence without "Boyle Co" in it. I keep forgetting it's the PT at CC thread.

It has been pointed out the Paducah Tilghman schedule, including the playoffs, has been soft since September. So, they haven't been challenged. How quickly they can adjust to the action of the game against a good team will be key. They also haven't had a long trip since Oct 13 when they traveled to Bowling Green. I'd think they travel up Thursday night and don't worry about their comfort. They'll be well taken care of I'm sure of it. I'll say this, PT is a confident bunch and won't show up and get overwhelmed or intimidated. Now, implode? That's always a possibility.

I think Covington Catholic should be a 4-7 point favorite but give the Blue Tornado a good shot here with their ability to create turnovers and turn them into instant points. In the Ashland game, Covington Catholic was outgained by a balanced attack which is possible here. The Colonels won the turnover battle 1-0 but may be the underdog in this category come Friday. James for Paducah Tilghman was prone to interceptions but has greatly improved on that this year - again maybe due to competition. It's fair to say that the PT offense is as good as Ashland's (advantage Ashland in the run game) and PT's defense is better than Ashland's especially against the pass.

I'll lean towards Covington Catholic in a good game (TD or less), giving them the edge for home field and coaching. They'll need to control the line of scrimmage and protect the football, or it will be Paducah Tilghman moving on to Kroger. Anything over a 14-point differential by either will surprise me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Glory_Days's post:
  • nemo
For the record, I was perfectly content just reading this thread until another poster stated ‘Boyle and Corbin thought the championship was played last week’ …
[-] The following 1 user Likes CC117's post:
  • Cactus Jack
(11-20-2023, 05:05 PM)Advicegiver74 Wrote: I would imagine pt getting a hotel for this?

If so please treat your players to La Rosa pizza they will love it. 
Seriously? La Rosa's is awful. They opened 2 of them in Lexington not that long and they are already closed. Nobody outside of the Cincy are thinks it's any good. And many in the Cincy area think that, too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes know1's post:
  • pjdoug
(11-21-2023, 10:11 AM)Yknow1 Wrote:
(11-20-2023, 05:05 PM)Advicegiver74 Wrote: I would imagine pt getting a hotel for this?

Seriously? La Rosa's is awful. They opened 2 of them in Lexington not that long and they are already closed. Nobody outside of the Cincy are thinks it's any good. And many in the Cincy area think that, too.
Yeah larosas is gross. There are significantly better options.
I think people are seriously underestimating PT lines. Mayfield is known for getting in the backfield quickly. PT pretty well stoned them that night. On the defensive side they did something I have not seen in many years of watching Mayfield football. They stopped the Mayfield run game near the goal line repeatedly. Had the ball inside the 5 with 4 straight run plays and could not get in. That D line is legit.
The reason for that is because it’s been a long time since 9/1. PT played teams the entire second half of the season that finished the year with losing records. Maybe this bunch really is just that good. But I don’t see how you get better and prepare yourself for a championship run when you play so many teams that don’t have winning records. As I have already said though, I’ve been wrong before

And to correct myself, some of the teams PT beat in the second half had .500 records
(11-20-2023, 06:24 PM)mysonis55 Wrote: I don’t really have a dog in that fight. I would like to see PT rise again. It’s good for west Ky. But, I’m just basing it off what I’ve seen on the field. I’ve been wrong before as we all know.

Big Grin
(11-21-2023, 10:11 AM)know1 Wrote:

I think that's what I had before a Cincinnati Reds game that was pretty good, but that was probably 20- 30 years ago. I haven't tried the ones I've seen in Lexington and Richmond.
Tilghman makes some big plays and keeps it closer than the experts think, but Covington Catholic looks too battle tested to drop this one after the Tornado make a long trip to play in the late November weather. If you flip the venues and turn up the heat index, I'd like PT much more.

Tilghman has the kind of speed that you don't typically see loads of on Northern Kentucky teams.

There's a huge difference in "speed" and "track speed". If you have a kid running a sub-10.95 in the 100 (as a sophomore), that's good enough to have won the state meet once in the past twenty seasons and is within one to two hundredth seconds of the meet record in at least two others. To put it in perspective, Tyson Gay ran a 10.81 in the state meet at the same age and he still has the world's second fastest time in the 100. Consistently tackling that type of quickness and agility in space is a big ask at this level.

Winning the line of scrimmage and getting playmakers in space will be a challenge, but one or two bombs, big kick returns, or pick sixes that gets the Colonels down early could make things very interesting.
Martels Carter Jr - transfer from GA.
Highest ranked and only 4 star player in ky in 2025 (higher than Quisenberry) 40 total offers. #78 rank player in the nation via rivals100
Mark my previous post down.

PT 2tds

Everyone sleeping on them
(11-21-2023, 10:11 AM)know1 Wrote:

Maybe he's a CovCath fan and wants the PT players to get ill  Big Grin

I'm anitcipating a possible matchup of Carter vs. Rodriguez, should be fun to watch.
(11-20-2023, 12:19 PM)pjdoug Wrote:
(11-20-2023, 11:46 AM)Redbird Believer Wrote: PT has been underestimated all season. Just 2 years ago they were playing for a state championship with basically freshman and nearly pulled it off. Last year those same kids went to CAL and just missed the upset 30-24.

This year they’ve got in some game changing playmakers to go with what they already had, and they are dominant. I honestly think they will be your 4a champs, and could potentially be the best in the state this year.

4a is loaded, but something tells me that PT is just a bit better.

I’m rolling with the Tornado 49-28. Boyle and Corbin thought the state title was played last week, but PT will put them on notice soon enough that it in fact was just a 3rd round game.

They are definitely not 3 TD favorites against undefeated Covington Catholic.

Cov Cath being undefeated means nothing, look at their schedule, soft, very soft.
(11-21-2023, 08:00 PM)plantmanky Wrote:
(11-20-2023, 12:19 PM)pjdoug Wrote:
(11-20-2023, 11:46 AM)Redbird Believer Wrote: PT has been underestimated all season. Just 2 years ago they were playing for a state championship with basically freshman and nearly pulled it off. Last year those same kids went to CAL and just missed the upset 30-24.

This year they’ve got in some game changing playmakers to go with what they already had, and they are dominant. I honestly think they will be your 4a champs, and could potentially be the best in the state this year.

4a is loaded, but something tells me that PT is just a bit better.

I’m rolling with the Tornado 49-28. Boyle and Corbin thought the state title was played last week, but PT will put them on notice soon enough that it in fact was just a 3rd round game.

They are definitely not 3 TD favorites against undefeated Covington Catholic.

Cov Cath being undefeated means nothing, look at their schedule, soft, very soft.
Who has Paducah played of note? Mayfield? If we are basing picks on strength of schedule, cov cath wins by a wide margin.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Woodsman's post:
  • nemo
I agree

Although it's not perfect, Maxpreps SOS is pretty accurate this late in the season with multiple data points

CovCath       5.6
PT                -5.7

for comparison:
St.X              27.6 (highest)
Boyle Co      13.9
Mayfield      -0.9
Beechwood  -8.3
This is going to be a great game.

PT is loaded with talent… going to take them in a close one.