Poll: Who Wins
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Paducah Tilghman
37.14%
Covington Catholic
62.86%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Paducah Tilghman at Covington Catholic 11/24 4th Round Playoffs
I think that we can all agree that Paducah Tilghman didn't have the same strength of schedule as many teams remaining, but I'm curious as to how everyone thinks they realistically could have scheduled.

If you are in a district with Allen County Scottsville, Logan County, Warren East, Calloway County and Russellville, how do you avoid playing them? Should they have sent some players to them to make sure they were facing tougher competition? You'll notice most of these schools are in the fourth region and are 2+ hour bus rides each way. I'm guessing that the gates and concessions for these games aren't exactly funneling money into your program either.

They kept their rivalry game against a much bigger school in 6A McCracken County. Are you going to cancel the city-country rivalry and throw them off the schedule? If not, you've just filled 6 of the 10 games that you get.

I'll rattle off traditional programs in their area that they could have played and list the travel time: Mayfield (35 minutes, check), Bowling Green, Owensboro, Owensboro Catholic (all 2.25-2.5+ hours). Did I miss anyone who isn't getting ready to play a semifinal game? No. Are either of the Owensboro schools going to boot the other, Daviess County, or Apollo from their schedule to make room for you? Probably not.

Henderson County and Hopkinsville (1.25 hours, check and check) are in your next tier. We're at 9 of 10.

If you're taking a one-way 3.5+ hour bus ride into Louisville or a 4+ hour bus ride into Lexington, is there anyone that they'd miss along the way that wasn't mentioned? If you are going to Louisville, you are literally traveling at least 450 miles round trip. To put this in perspective, to drive one-way from Lexington to Chicago is 372 miles. A one-way trip from Paducah to Covington is 312 miles.

Who in Kentucky was beating down Tilghman's door for a home and home? If there's anyone, are they worth spending more on travel and taking another hit on the gates and concessions or do you want new jerseys and a coat of paint on the bleachers like all the schools who won't literally have to travel thousands of miles this season? 

Do you play an out-of-state team and risk taking what can come with some of those games? 

What's the solution when you are isolated in a corner of the state and forced to play in a weak district with few geographic rivals and extended travel to almost every game?

It's one thing to duck competition, but looking at their schedule, I can see how they could wanted a tougher slate but were boxed in.
I havnt got to see Paducah Tilghman so I can't really predict this game like I would like to. I think Covington Catholic will have a advantage in a couple of areas. I think CC has a coach that has been deep in these type games a little more and will have a game plan in how he would like to execute. I also think playing at home vs a long bus ride plays to the advantage of Covington Catholic. If Paducah Tilghman is as good as what the Mayfield fans are saying then they might win. I have seen Covington Catholic and out of the remaining teams, I feel like they are the next best team to Boyle. Paducah Tilghman is right there with them and I have Franklin County at the 4 spot. So I think other than the game being played at Franklin County, you will have the correct mathups going into this 4th Round IMO. #1 Boyle will play #4 Franklin County and #2 Covington Catholic will play #3 Paducah Tilghman. So here is what I am going to predict out on a limb for the Covington Catholic vs Paducah Tilghman game.

Covington Catholic 28
Paducah Tilghman 21
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • Jack Lambert
(11-20-2023, 11:46 AM)Redbird Believer Wrote: PT has been underestimated all season. Just 2 years ago they were playing for a state championship with basically freshman and nearly pulled it off. Last year those same kids went to CAL and just missed the upset 30-24.

This year they’ve got in some game changing playmakers to go with what they already had, and they are dominant. I honestly think they will be your 4a champs, and could potentially be the best in the state this year.

4a is loaded, but something tells me that PT is just a bit better.

I’m rolling with the Tornado 49-28. Boyle and Corbin thought the state title was played last week, but PT will put them on notice soon enough that it in fact was just a 3rd round game.

Last year PT was the only team all season that gave CAL a game. I went and watched that game and PT had their chances. I like this PT team and I think they can win on Friday. I still don't know if I feel like they have anything for Boyle, but I sure would like to see them play Boyle at Kroger Field to answer that question.
[-] The following 3 users Like Rip/Spin's post:
  • Bull got out!, Redbird Believer, rookie57
(11-22-2023, 12:48 AM)Rip/Spin Wrote:
(11-20-2023, 11:46 AM)Redbird Believer Wrote: PT has been underestimated all season. Just 2 years ago they were playing for a state championship with basically freshman and nearly pulled it off. Last year those same kids went to CAL and just missed the upset 30-24.

This year they’ve got in some game changing playmakers to go with what they already had, and they are dominant. I honestly think they will be your 4a champs, and could potentially be the best in the state this year.

I’m rolling with the Tornado 49-28. Boyle and Corbin thought the state title was played last week, but PT will put them on notice soon enough that it in fact was just a 3rd round game.

Last year PT was the only team all season that gave CAL a game.  I went and watched that game and PT had their chances.  I like this PT team and I think they can win on Friday.  I still don't know if I feel like they have anything for Boyle, but I sure would like to see them play Boyle at Kroger Field to answer that question.
I watched PT play Belfry in the championship game and I liked them that game. They were tuff that day but came up a little short.
(11-22-2023, 01:26 AM)Bull got out! Wrote:
(11-20-2023, 11:46 AM)Redbird Believer Wrote: PT has been underestimated all season. Just 2 years ago they were playing for a state championship with basically freshman and nearly pulled it off. Last year those same kids went to CAL and just missed the upset 30-24.

Last year PT was the only team all season that gave CAL a game.  I went and watched that game and PT had their chances.  I like this PT team and I think they can win on Friday.  I still don't know if I feel like they have anything for Boyle, but I sure would like to see them play Boyle at Kroger Field to answer that question.
I watched PT play Belfry in the championship game and I liked them that game. They were tuff that day but came up a little short.
They are a tough bunch, and they have made tremendous strides. Their culture has made a 360 the past few years, and with these new athletes they picked up I truly believe they can compete with anyone. However, they are all high school athletes. With that said, anything can happen. I’m not trying to underestimate Cov Cath or Boyle in any way. I’ve watched games on each of them, and they are very good teams. But I’ve also watched PT and to me they looked better- that is out of the games I have watched. There’s plenty that I have not. At the end of the day we can go back and forth on this site with who we think is going to win, after all most of us are just a bunch of “has beens” and this is what we do to keep us apart of the sport. All love here for every program still competing for the gold ball, they’re definitely earned and not given. I was fortunate enough to play and win 3 of them, and played in college. High school football is definitely irreplaceable, and it is bittersweet when it comes to an end. Good luck to everyone this week, and may the best team win!
[-] The following 2 users Like Redbird Believer's post:
  • CC117, truebluefan89
? Hmmmm isn’t this about PT and Cov Cath. I see mostly Boyle, Mayfield and others. I guess Cov Cath doesn’t stand a chance against PT ?
(11-22-2023, 10:49 PM)bo67 Wrote: ? Hmmmm isn’t this about PT and Cov Cath. I see mostly Boyle, Mayfield and others. I guess Cov Cath doesn’t stand a chance against PT ?

I think most people have picked Cov Cath, or it's at least very near 50/50 if you look at the predictions thread. I think that until around midday yesterday or so, most posters weren't giving Tilghman a chance.

All of the mention of Mayfield, Boyle, and others is people trying to find common opponents and to draw inferences from there. These are two programs that are far apart geographically and I'd say that few have had the opportunity to see multiple competitive games from each of the team (or if they did, it definitely wasn't in person).

Looks like it will be an awkward matchup. From the clips I've seen of Tilghman, they look really quick and will put multiple receivers outside the hashes and even the numbers in some sets. From what I know about Covington Catholic, they're probably going to look to line up, bang on them up front, and grind this one out. Should be fun to watch two contrasting styles and see the UK commit (Willie Rodriguez) and UK target (Marcels Carter).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cactus Jack's post:
  • Bull got out!
(11-21-2023, 10:45 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: I think that we can all agree that Paducah Tilghman didn't have the same strength of schedule as many teams remaining, but I'm curious as to how everyone thinks they realistically could have scheduled.

If you are in a district with Allen County Scottsville, Logan County, Warren East, Calloway County and Russellville, how do you avoid playing them? Should they have sent some players to them to make sure they were facing tougher competition? You'll notice most of these schools are in the fourth region and are 2+ hour bus rides each way. I'm guessing that the gates and concessions for these games aren't exactly funneling money into your program either.

They kept their rivalry game against a much bigger school in 6A McCracken County. Are you going to cancel the city-country rivalry and throw them off the schedule? If not, you've just filled 6 of the 10 games that you get.

I'll rattle off traditional programs in their area that they could have played and list the travel time: Mayfield (35 minutes, check), Bowling Green, Owensboro, Owensboro Catholic (all 2.25-2.5+ hours). Did I miss anyone who isn't getting ready to play a semifinal game? No. Are either of the Owensboro schools going to boot the other, Daviess County, or Apollo from their schedule to make room for you? Probably not.

Henderson County and Hopkinsville (1.25 hours, check and check) are in your next tier. We're at 9 of 10.

If you're taking a one-way 3.5+ hour bus ride into Louisville or a 4+ hour bus ride into Lexington, is there anyone that they'd miss along the way that wasn't mentioned? If you are going to Louisville, you are literally traveling at least 450 miles round trip. To put this in perspective, to drive one-way from Lexington to Chicago is 372 miles. A one-way trip from Paducah to Covington is 312 miles.

Who in Kentucky was beating down Tilghman's door for a home and home? If there's anyone, are they worth spending more on travel and taking another hit on the gates and concessions or do you want new jerseys and a coat of paint on the bleachers like all the schools who won't literally have to travel thousands of miles this season? 

Do you play an out-of-state team and risk taking what can come with some of those games? 

What's the solution when you are isolated in a corner of the state and forced to play in a weak district with few geographic rivals and extended travel to almost every game?

It's one thing to duck competition, but looking at their schedule, I can see how they could wanted a tougher slate but were boxed in.
I don’t think anyone is blaming the AD for the schedule. I think most people are just making an observation that PT’s schedule is not great. That observation does not take away from their talent. It’s merely a factor.

For all those in the know, can anyone define what Covington Catholics offense is? Their defense?

For all those in the know, can anyone define what Covington Catholics offense is? Their defense? I would love to hear your thoughts.
(11-21-2023, 10:45 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: I think that we can all agree that Paducah Tilghman didn't have the same strength of schedule as many teams remaining, but I'm curious as to how everyone thinks they realistically could have scheduled.

Russellville is not in their district, they are 1A, LOL. You probably meant Hopkinsville.

Tilghman's schedule was fine other than Russellville. 

Their schedule was weaker than Covington Catholic's mostly because McCracken Co, Henderson Co, Hopkinsville, and Graves Co were all down this year. In the past decade, all of those teams improve one's schedule and averaged to be better than say Dixie Heights & Campbell Co. McCracken Co & Graves Co will and should always remain on PT's schedule. Logan Co and Warren East didn't measure up to their preseason outlook either. Ryle, Highlands, and Beechwood vs. Mayfield is what seperates the two schedules.

Collectively District 1 (Logan Co, Warren East, Allen Co-Scottsville, Hopkinsville, Calloway Co) in 4A is better than District 5 (Grant Co, Harrison Co, Holmes, Mason Co). New alignment, but year in and year out those teams don't compare except for Calloway Co.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Glory_Days's post:
  • Cactus Jack
(11-23-2023, 03:05 PM)Glory_Days Wrote:

Russellville is not in their district, they are 1A, LOL. You probably meant Hopkinsville.

Their schedule was weaker than Covington Catholic's mostly because McCracken Co, Henderson Co, Hopkinsville, and Graves Co were all down this year. In the past decade, all of those teams improve one's schedule and averaged to be better than say Dixie Heights & Campbell Co. McCracken Co & Graves Co will and should always remain on PT's schedule. Logan Co and Warren East didn't measure up to their preseason outlook either. Ryle, Highlands, and Beechwood vs. Mayfield is what seperates the two schedules.

Collectively District 1 (Logan Co, Warren East, Allen Co-Scottsville, Hopkinsville, Calloway Co) in 4A is better than District 5 (Grant Co, Harrison Co, Holmes, Mason Co). New alignment, but year in and year out those teams don't compare except for Calloway Co.
District 5 is not good. I’m sure cov cath can’t wait to move back up to 5a in the very near future.
(11-23-2023, 03:05 PM)Glory_Days Wrote: Russellville is not in their district, they are 1A, LOL. You probably meant Hopkinsville.

100% correct on the Russellville typo. I'd jotted those down and got them flipped because of where they were in Tilghman's schedule. Sadly, that one wasn't my only typo in the above-- last sentence should have read: "It's one thing to duck competition, but looking at their schedule, I can see how they could have wanted a tougher slate but were boxed in".

Agree completely with the points you've made and was thinking the same thing about some of the teams like Hop-town, Hendo, Graves, and McCracken all looking like they were down this season.
(11-21-2023, 10:11 AM)know1 Wrote:
(11-20-2023, 05:05 PM)Advicegiver74 Wrote: I would imagine pt getting a hotel for this?

If so please treat your players to La Rosa pizza they will love it. 
Seriously? La Rosa's is awful. They opened 2 of them in Lexington not that long and they are already closed. Nobody outside of the Cincy are thinks it's any good. And many in the Cincy area think that, too.
I never had bad la Rosa but to be fair I moved out of nky in 2015 so it could of gone downhill
I hope I'm wrong, but I think Cov Cath wins it.
As much as I would like to see Paducah Tilghman take the win, it's a LONG drive from Paducah to Covington. Cov Cath can score, and they can score quick. Their comeback against Beechwood this year was nothing short of incredible. I'll say we have a good game on our hands, but I think Covington Catholic will meet Boyle County next week in the 4A Championship game.

Me 2
Per KHSAA's Facebook, this one will be aired on khsaa.tv. When clicking the link, the game now shows up as available on NFHS Network. It was not listed earlier today, but has now been added.

Will probably be going back and forth between this one, Bryan Station vs. Ballard, and Frederick Douglass vs. Trinity.

NFHS Network saying the Tilghman game has been delayed but radio feeds are carrying it. Kind of a rip off and poor optics for the KHSAA to promote something that isn't happening.
Yep I see in the end
(11-20-2023, 10:56 AM)mysonis55 Wrote:
(11-20-2023, 05:34 AM)pjdoug Wrote:
(11-19-2023, 05:32 PM)mysonis55 Wrote: PT by 3 scores.

Comical. LOL!

Remind me how comical after the game. If I’m wrong I will admit it. However, I don’t believe I am.

I'm reminding you how laugh out loud funny your prediction was. Like
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • Jack Lambert
(11-25-2023, 12:38 AM)pjdoug Wrote:
(11-20-2023, 10:56 AM)mysonis55 Wrote:
(11-20-2023, 05:34 AM)pjdoug Wrote:
(11-19-2023, 05:32 PM)mysonis55 Wrote: PT by 3 scores.

Comical. LOL!

Remind me how comical after the game. If I’m wrong I will admit it. However, I don’t believe I am.

I'm reminding you how laugh out loud funny your prediction was. Like
Yeah so much for that PT vs Boyle matchup everyone was already talking about.
Boyle held up their end of the deal LOL
[-] The following 1 user Likes CC117's post:
  • toolaidback