Poll: Who Wins
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Somerset
36.84%
Owensboro Catholic
63.16%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Somerset at Owensboro Catholic 11/24 4th Round Playoffs
Somerset (10-3)
Aug 18, 23 Perry County Central away (L) 21 - 22 
Aug 25, 23 Russell County home (W) 28 - 24 Alton Blakely Bowl 
Sep 1, 23 Knox Central home (W) 47 - 12 
Sep 8, 23 Garrard County home (W) 48 - 21 
Sep 15, 23 Campbellsville away (L) 27 - 34 
Sep 22, 23 Lincoln County away (W) 29 - 7 
Sep 29, 23 Breathitt County away (W) 42 - 21 
Oct 13, 23 Danville home (W) 50 - 7 
Oct 20, 23 Leslie County away (W) 36 - 13 
Oct 27, 23 Glasgow home (L) 21 - 22 
Nov 3, 23 Owen County home (W) 36 - 0 Class 2A 2023 UK HealthCare Sports Medicine State Football Finals 
Nov 10, 23 Leslie County home (W) 57 - 0 Class 2A 2023 UK HealthCare Sports Medicine State Football Finals 
Nov 17, 23 Shelby Valley home (W) 56 - 20 Class 2A 2023 UK HealthCare Sports Medicine State Football Finals

Owensboro Catholic (13-0)
Aug 18, 23 Apollo home (W) 42 - 6 
Aug 25, 23 Daviess County away (W) 50 - 0 
Sep 1, 23 Greenwood home (W) 43 - 13 
Sep 8, 23 Owensboro away (W) 33 - 28 
Sep 15, 23 Henderson County home (W) 41 - 21 
Sep 22, 23 Crittenden County away (W) 62 - 12 
Sep 29, 23 Todd County Central at Steele Stadium (Owensboro) (W) 57 - 7 
Oct 13, 23 Edmonson County home (W) 48 - 7 
Oct 20, 23 Fort Campbell home (W) 56 - 7 
Oct 27, 23 North Hardin away (W) 37 - 14 
Nov 3, 23 Caldwell County at Steele Stadium, KWC (W) 61 - 14 Class 2A 2023 UK HealthCare Sports Medicine State Football Finals 
Nov 10, 23 Crittenden County at Steele Stadium, KWC (W) 49 - 7 Class 2A 2023 UK HealthCare Sports Medicine State Football Finals 
Nov 17, 23 Green County home (W) 50 - 18 Class 2A 2023 UK HealthCare Sports Medicine State Football Finals

Recent History
NONE
https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/k...477a513d3d
Somerset has had a hell of a year.

I said Chad Griffin for coach of the year but I am proven to be wrong as I think Clevenger has done more with perceivably less.

I just think Owensboro Catholic plays Mayfield for all the marbles.

Owensboro Catholic by 7-10
[-] The following 1 user Likes DangerMouse's post:
  • Shondue
Somerset is one of my favorite teams. When Clevenger was hired, I knew it wouldn't take long for him to put them in the top of 2A. I just didn't expect it to be immediately. I think this speaks volume of when you get leadership that can grasp the attention of the players and they start to believe, trust and see results. This year's results speak for themselves. I also think the Somerset folks who done the hiring should get some credit here. They easily could have done what others do. They went after the best available. This season game after game, I have paid a little more attention to the Somerset scores. Regardless of the outcome of this game, the parents, community, fans, business and the school knows they are in good hands, and I believe they will become a familiar name at the top of Class 2A for a while now. The foundation has been laid this year. Like others I have read the comments, what if the Twins and Bailey had stayed and been on this year's Somerset team. Talking about a what if. I just wanted as a fan of the game to let it be known to the Somerset faithful that we see you!
[-] The following 7 users Like Bull got out!'s post:
  • Buford T Justice, Danville Blue Devil, Deuce8, Eastside6, RedMachine, Shondue, The Red Eminence
Have to take OC, but hoping somerset shocks the world! Go jumpers
[-] The following 1 user Likes rookie57's post:
  • Walt Longmire
OC cause their QB is a good one and will pick apart Somerset DBs apart.
All west Ky 2a state championship.
Cheering for Somerset, but this will be a tough one.
(11-19-2023, 05:33 PM)mysonis55 Wrote: All west Ky 2a state championship.

That's certainly the most likely outcome.  But I feel a little bit better going up against OCHS than if we had to play Mayfield or Beechwood.  It isn't that I don't think that the Aces aren't extremely good--because they are.  But I'd rather play a passing team in the playoffs than a balanced team like the Cardinals or the Tigers.  Why?  You're much more likely see weather or something else weird affect a passing team.  The flip side is they can sure put a running clock on you in a hurry if everything is going well.  But I feel you have more of a puncher's chance when the other team throws it all over the field.  

It'll be a tall task, but we might as well show up and give it a shot.
(11-19-2023, 08:49 PM):PWalt Longmire Wrote:

That's certainly the most likely outcome.  But I feel a little bit better going up against OCHS than if we had to play Mayfield or Beechwood.  It isn't that I don't think that the Aces aren't extremely good--because they are.  But I'd rather play a passing team in the playoffs than a balanced team like the Cardinals or the Tigers.  Why?  You're much more likely see weather or something else weird affect a passing team.  The flip side is they can sure put a running clock on you in a hurry if everything is going well.  But I feel you have more of a puncher's chance when the other team throws it all over the field.  

Good luck, I’m pulling for y’all, so we have chance at payback if we’re lucky enduro beat beechwood.  Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes rookie57's post:
  • Walt Longmire
(11-19-2023, 09:46 PM)rookie57 Wrote:

Good luck, I’m pulling for y’all, so we have chance at payback if we’re lucky enduro beat beechwood.  Wink

I'd love to see y'all get a shot at that payback.  It's been a great season already considering what our football family has went through in the past year.  But making it to the finals would be a Hollywood movie.  If we can't win it, I hope y'all get it this season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Walt Longmire's post:
  • Deuce8
(11-19-2023, 10:11 PM)Walt Longmire Wrote:

I'd love to see y'all get a shot at that payback.  It's been a great season already considering what our football family has went through in the past year.  But making it to the finals would be a Hollywood movie.  If we can't win it, I hope y'all get it this season.
Yea, sorry for y’all’s loss, that was huge. And then the twins cutting out on ya, that sucked 2. It would be a great story line for both our teams to get to Kroger.
[-] The following 2 users Like rookie57's post:
  • Deuce8, Walt Longmire
(11-19-2023, 11:25 PM)rookie57 Wrote:
(11-19-2023, 10:11 PM)Walt Longmire Wrote:

Yea, sorry for y’all’s loss, that was huge. And then the twins cutting out on ya, that sucked 2. It would be a great story line for both our teams to get to Kroger.

The way that your community, and program bounced back after the tornadoes was equally remarkable.  Football really has such a positive overall impact, particularly in smaller communities.
[-] The following 2 users Like Walt Longmire's post:
  • Deuce8, rookie57
Yes, it does in most cases. Football in one small town seems to drive some fans on this site to madness.  :)

I like what Somerset is doing and accomplished this year. I agree that Owensboro Catholic has a fairly big advantage in this game. The Aces are much more than a passing juggernaut, they'll impress you in many facets. This is the best OCath team I've witnessed (15-20 years).
[-] The following 2 users Like Glory_Days's post:
  • Deuce8, Walt Longmire
(11-19-2023, 02:13 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: Somerset is one of my favorite teams. When Clevenger was hired, I knew it wouldn't take long for him to put them in the top of 2A. I just didn't expect it to be immediately. I think this speaks volume of when you get leadership that can grasp the attention of the players and they start to believe, trust and see results. This year's results speak for themselves. I also think the Somerset folks who done the hiring should get some credit here. They easily could have done what others do. They went after the best available. This season game after game, I have paid a little more attention to the Somerset scores. Regardless of the outcome of this game, the parents, community, fans, business and the school knows they are in good hands, and I believe they will become a familiar name at the top of Class 2A for a while now. The foundation has been laid this year. Like others I have read the comments, what if the Twins and Bailey had stayed and been on this year's Somerset team. Talking about a what if. I just wanted as a fan of the game to let it be known to the Somerset faithful that we see you!
Not only did Somerset make a successful hire with Clevenger; they made an investment. He is a coach that demonstrates consistent improvement with his teams. In 2016, Clevenger led the Admirals to the state championship game. The next year, Danville improved and experienced their first undefeated season since 1994. With Clevenger at the helm, Danville’s rivals felt the weight of the anchor.

Nothing is guaranteed and the path ahead is difficult. 2A is a brutal division with competition from historic powerhouses such as Mayfield and more contemporary challengers like LCA. Fortunately for Somerset, they have the right coach steering the ship (or briar patch).
[-] The following 4 users Like The Red Eminence's post:
  • Buford T Justice, Bull got out!, RedMachine, Walt Longmire
Owensboro Catholic is just going to be too much in this one. Somerset may keep it closer for awhile, but I see the Aces winning this one by 3+ touchdowns.