Poll: Who wins the rematch?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mayfield
79.31%
Beechwood
20.69%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beechwood at Mayfield , 11/24 4th Round Playoffs
3 time defending state champions travel to War Memorial Stadium for a rematch of last years title game that Beechwood won by 1 point, what’s your thoughts on how this one turns out?
Beechwood (12-1)
Aug 18, 23 Archbishop McNicholas (Cincinnati), OH away (W) 31 - 14 
Aug 25, 23 Campbell County away (W) 50 - 7 
Sep 1, 23 Dixie Heights away (W) 49 - 48 (overtime) 
Sep 8, 23 Simon Kenton home (W) 58 - 54 
Sep 15, 23 Covington Catholic home (L) 31 - 35 
Sep 22, 23 Gallatin County home (W) 56 - 0 
Sep 29, 23 Walton-Verona home (W) 54 - 3 
Oct 6, 23 Owen County home (W) 67 - 0 
Oct 13, 23 Carroll County away (W) 55 - 0 
Oct 20, 23 Bracken County home (W) 41 - 0 
Nov 3, 23 Danville home (W) 49 - 0 Click Class 2A 2023 UK HealthCare Sports Medicine State Football Finals 
Nov 10, 23 Breathitt County home (W) 42 - 12 Class 2A 2023 UK HealthCare Sports Medicine State Football Finals 
Nov 17, 23 Martin County home (W) 55 - 0 Class 2A 2023 UK HealthCare Sports Medicine State Football Finals

Mayfield (11-1)
Aug 18, 23 Graves County home (W) 42 - 7
Aug 25, 23 Hopkinsville home (W) 59 - 6 - (Forfeit) 
Sep 1, 23 Paducah Tilghman away (L) 28 - 35 
Sep 8, 23 McCracken County home (W) 48 - 14 
Sep 22, 23 Henderson County away (W) 38 - 24
Sep 29, 23 Caldwell County away (W) 63 - 7 
Oct 13, 23 Crittenden County home (W) 46 - 6 
Oct 20, 23 Murray home (W) 49 - 14 
Oct 27, 23 Christian County away (W) 72 - 8 
Nov 2, 23 Edmonson County home (W) 68 - 0  Class 2A 2023 UK HealthCare Sports Medicine State Football Finals 
Nov 10, 23 Murray home (W) 42 - 20  Class 2A 2023 UK HealthCare Sports Medicine State Football Finals 
Nov 17, 23 Lexington Christian home (W) 58 - 36 Class 2A 2023 UK HealthCare Sports Medicine State Football Finals

Recent History
Dec 6, 2002 Mayfield 14 Beechwood 7 2002 Class A Football State Tournament Championship
Nov 27, 2009 Mayfield 38 Beechwood 0 2009 Class 1A KHSAA Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl
Nov 26, 2010 Mayfield 38 Beechwood 14 2010 Class 1A KHSAA Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl
Nov 25, 2011 Mayfield 19 Beechwood 14 2011 Class 1A Russell Athletic/KHSAA Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl
Nov 23, 2012 Mayfield 35 Beechwood 14 2012 Class 1A Russell Athletic/KHSAA Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl
Nov 28, 2014 Mayfield 35 Beechwood 24 2014 Class 1A Russell Athletic/KHSAA Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl
Nov 29, 2019 Mayfield 35 Beechwood 7 2019 Class 2A 2019 UK Orthopaedics/KHSAA Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl
Nov 26, 2021 Beechwood 38 Mayfield 7 2021 Class 2A 2021 UK Orthopaedics State Football Finals
Dec 2, 2022 Beechwood 14 Mayfield 13 2022 Class 2A 2022 UK HealthCare Sports Medicine State Football Finals Class 2A Championship Game

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/k...6b6a656543
Going with Mayfield they made a believer out of me Friday night
Im still at a loss on how Mayfield destroyed LCA Friday night. Not really shocked that Mayfield can win but dang, they just took it to them and I was like, well get my plate of crow out and I'll gladly eat it. Mayfield will be hard to beat at home and is very familiar with the opponent so Im pulling for Mayfield the rest of the year. Come on Red Helmet Video. I had rather listen to those guys any day of the week. I am still getting tickled the way they were being real. Love it!

Mayfield in another high scoring game. But Mayfield will score a few more....
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • rookie57
Mayfield playing like a team on a mission.

This group should bring a title back to western Kentucky
Going beechwood by 7
Beechwood is very good. Their offense can be dynamic. Phenomenal speed and skill. The qb is legit. Their run defense is not the greatest. Their schedule was also heavily front loaded. They haven’t had a contest since mid season. Should be interesting. It’s hard to pick against beechwood.
Mayfield!!!
I’m going to ride the Mayfield train after their win over LCA. Expecting a classic! Good luck to both teams. Hoping Red Helmet Video has the game on YouTube.
(11-19-2023, 01:06 PM)Woodsman Wrote: Beechwood is very good. Their offense can be dynamic. Phenomenal speed and skill. The qb is legit. Their run defense is not the greatest. Their schedule was also heavily front loaded. They haven’t had a contest since mid season. Should be interesting. It’s hard to pick against beechwood.
I don’t think Mayfield will have any problem matching their phenomenal speed.

My biggest fear is Mayfield having a let down after their huge win over LCA. As far as a previous poster saying beechwood has phenomenal speed, Mayfield went toe to toe with Paducah TILGHMAN and THEY have phenomenal speed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rookie57's post:
  • Bull got out!
Mayfield lost to the wood last year on a neutral field at state by 1 point. Mayfield missed a fg and an extra point. This years team is better for the Cards. The wood lost a lot. It’s in War Memorial on a grass field. I have to go with the Cards. That scares me though, since I had serious doubts against LCA. I can’t see Mayfield having a let down since they lost to this team the last 2 years. Mayfield by 20.
(11-19-2023, 01:06 PM)Woodsman Wrote: Beechwood is very good. Their offense can be dynamic. Phenomenal speed and skill. The qb is legit. Their run defense is not the greatest. Their schedule was also heavily front loaded. They haven’t had a contest since mid season. Should be interesting. It’s hard to pick against beechwood.

Mayfield has 1 or 2 fast guys as well.
(11-19-2023, 02:38 PM)rookie57 Wrote:

My biggest fear is Mayfield having a let down after their huge win over LCA. As far as a previous poster saying beechwood has phenomenal speed, Mayfield went toe to toe with Paducah TILGHMAN and THEY have phenomenal speed.

A let down did occur to me as well. If Mayfield takes this thing their road to the title could be epic!
Is this actually the championship game a week early? Going to Mayfield and winning is tough. I’m going with the home team.
(11-19-2023, 06:19 PM)Danville Blue Devil Wrote:
(11-19-2023, 02:38 PM)rookie57 Wrote:

A let down did occur to me as well. If Mayfield takes this thing their road to the title could be epic!
For sure, they have to run the gauntlet, and OC has an easy path to Kroger, although somerset is playing decent ball right now and has a great coach, and u never know, onany given night,,,,,. As I’ve said, if Mayfield plays as well as they did against LCA, they will beat beechwood, then they’ll have to put together another whale of a game to beat OC.

(11-19-2023, 06:38 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: Is this actually the championship game a week early? Going to Mayfield and winning is tough. I’m going with the home team.
Nope, championship game wii be December 1st, teams TBD
(11-19-2023, 05:30 PM)mysonis55 Wrote:

Not saying they don’t. Not sure why my statement is so controversial. Kinda hysterical people take such umbrage with a simple statement of fact. This takes nothing away from mayfield.
(11-19-2023, 07:35 PM)Woodsman Wrote:

Not saying they don’t. Not sure why my statement is so controversial. Kinda hysterical people take such umbrage with a simple statement of fact. This takes nothing away from mayfield.
Your comment was not controversial, and we’re not taking umbrage with your ( statement of fact) we just responded with our own ( statement of fact) that mayfield can compete with beechwood’s speed.
(11-19-2023, 07:53 PM)rookie57 Wrote:
(11-19-2023, 07:35 PM)Woodsman Wrote:

Your comment was not controversial, and we’re not taking umbrage with your ( statement of fact) we just responded with our own ( statement of fact) that mayfield can compete with beechwood’s speed.
understood. Didn’t mean to wrinkle so many feathers. I’m sure mayfield will do great.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Woodsman's post:
  • rookie57
I’ll take the NKY kids. That old saying “they are favored till someone knocks them off”. Mayfield is that team that can knock them off, but till then I’ll go with the red team with a paw ? print on their helmets lol.
Beechwood
As a guy coming back home to watch over thanksgiving weekend (and turning down free Iron Bowl tickets)… can’t wait to watch this one!

Anyone have a link for any beechwood games? Would love to see what’s riding into War Memorial on Friday.
Two tradition rich programs with a lot of respect for one another. Both teams are talented and have speed all over the field. Mayfield is coming off of a very tough game against LCA and a letdown is possible. That said, War Memorial is a tough place to play, especially the day after Thanksgiving. That stadium will be rocking again this week and it should give the Cards the edge they need. I'll take Mayfield in a close one.

I hope the Mayfield faithful does however remember that Beechwod is the team that drove across the state to offer help and support after the tornado and treats them with the respect they deserve.

GO BIG RED!
[-] The following 3 users Like Silverback's post:
  • barnabus_c2001, nemo, rookie57
"Go West Young Man!" Going with the Cards by a touchdown. Hope you guys win the whole thing.
[-] The following 2 users Like Slic Ric's post:
  • rookie57, Silverback
(11-19-2023, 11:50 PM)CS17 Wrote: As a guy coming back home to watch over thanksgiving weekend (and turning down free Iron Bowl tickets)… can’t wait to watch this one!

Anyone have a link for any beechwood games? Would love to see what’s riding into War Memorial on Friday.

I don’t know the link. However, YouTube and search Beechwood Tigers football. You can watch the three games that were close, Cov Cath, Dixie Heights and SK.
I’ve been watching film. Tigers offense is predictable. So much so that I could tell you what their first offensive play of the game and of the second half will be. I’m sure that our coaches will see a lot here. Kickoff team for Tigers very likely will see one get returned to the house. I also expect to see at least one pooch kick and one squib kick. Our offense should be pleased with their run game after this game.
2 very fundamental teams with 2 phenomenal programs. Each time I got the chance to play Beechwood we came out on the winning side, but they had just as much talent as we did. Credit to our coaches on that. Here’s the thing, both teams could win this ball game. However, I’m rolling with the Cardinals at home in a tough fought matchup. I think this will be similar to last week where we go blow for blow for a little while, but Beechwood gets worn down a little quicker than our guys. Give me Mayfield 38-24.

Also want to add that Beechwood is a welcomed guest to our town, their class they displayed by coming down to lend a helping hand has not been forgotten. I remember vividly discussing the state championship matchup last year and had talked with several who said if Mayfield doesn’t win, at least Beechwood will. Much respect from me and many other Cardinal faithfuls. Looking forward to this one! Safe travels to all making the trip.
[-] The following 2 users Like Redbird Believer's post:
  • rookie57, Silverback
Yep, they showed true class, and we should never forget that. That didn’t stop them from wanting to beat our behind in the game last year , so , we should not forget that 2 lol, we owe them, a returned act of kindness and a football butt whippin as well. Hope we play good enough to get that one repaid Friday night
[-] The following 2 users Like rookie57's post:
  • Redbird Believer, Silverback
I really dont know. Its hard to count a team out that wins state every year in Beechwood and at the same time its hard to count out Mayfield after doing that to a overly loaded 2A private school thats a recruiting machine and looked bound to win it all.
Let’s not forget Mayfield has a history of winning 12 state titles as well. 2 of those against Beechwood. 4 straight titles from 2012-2015. The Cards know how to do this as well. A point to remember, Beechwood has never won at War Memorial in 3 tries. Beechwood don’t play on grass. Mayfield is 7-2 all time against the Tigers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonis55's post:
  • Deuce8
I studied the three real games that Beechwood played this year (Dixie Heights, Simon Kenton and Cov Cath). This is just a portion of what I have learned. Some of the things don’t need to be shared until after the game of course.

The Tigers throw the ball 65% of the time and run 35%. It breaks down like this:
Passing 38% to the wide side, 17% to the middle and 44% to the short side. They like the pass to the rb out of the backfield a lot.
Running: 20% to the wide side, 56% up the middle, 23% to the short side.

Regardless of short or wide side it shakes out like this:

Passing: left 37%. Middle 17%. Right 44%.
Run: left 24%. Middle 56%. Right 20%.