Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bell County 24 Belfry 22
I didn't go but seen highlights. Looks like our O-line came to play. Thomas is just a determined player. Little Burnett is the real deal. Coach Hilton still has that magic about him. Don't ever count him out. Defense has been tough to watch at times but those coaches have brought those boys along. It's a huge feat to go beat a program on the road with the talent, talent prestige, and tradition of Belfry and their legend coach.
(11-11-2023, 01:02 AM)pjdoug Wrote:
(11-11-2023, 12:13 AM)pirateforlife Wrote: Bell County done what only Boyle County has been able to do since 2010 which is come to Pond Creek and win in the playoffs. I’d like to see the last 2 point conversion for Belfry. Looked in to me but didn’t have a great angle. Thomas is as advertised. Not as good as Dixon IMO but very good. I’d say if Bell and Rockcastle played 10 times Bell would win 8 or 9 so this really was a state semi final level matchup. Belfry is better than teams still playing in 3a. If Bell plays with the effort and mentality they played with the rest of this playoff run they’ll be hard to beat. I’m sad to see the season end but every fan of teams still playing in 3a would like to have had Belfry’s run last 20 years. 8 state championships and 12 title appearances total

Dixon was 5 years older than Thomas. lol
Cope some more.
(11-11-2023, 12:13 AM)pirateforlife Wrote: Bell County done what only Boyle County has been able to do since 2010 which is come to Pond Creek and win in the playoffs. I’d like to see the last 2 point conversion for Belfry. Looked in to me but didn’t have a great angle. Thomas is as advertised. Not as good as Dixon IMO but very good. I’d say if Bell and Rockcastle played 10 times Bell would win 8 or 9 so this really was a state semi final level matchup. Belfry is better than teams still playing in 3a. If Bell plays with the effort and mentality they played with the rest of this playoff run they’ll be hard to beat. I’m sad to see the season end but every fan of teams still playing in 3a would like to have had Belfry’s run last 20 years. 8 state championships and 12 title appearances total

I'd say 7 of the 8 have proven to be as good or better than Belfry this season. It's not a good look to lose on your home field then discredit the remaining teams.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Glory_Days's post:
  • pjdoug
(11-12-2023, 04:44 AM)Glory_Days Wrote:

I'd say 7 of the 8 have proven to be as good or better than Belfry this season. It's not a good look to lose on your home field then discredit the remaining teams.
I’m one of those that dismiss teams that play in that western/central KY area and refuse to play the teams in BG or Lexington, or really any team with a pulse. So i’m a little biased on this but Belfry is better than Hart and Union. Purely opinion but even though they are undefeated, I think they are suspect. How can you judge teams like Union, Hart, Franklin Simpson, and glasgow? They all played against eachother and played within one score, but other than head to head match ups, all four schedules are pretty hideous. And it’s a consistent thing when the mountain team matches up with that region of the state… it’s a buttwhippin.
(11-12-2023, 03:56 AM)Walter White Wrote:
(11-11-2023, 01:02 AM)pjdoug Wrote:

Dixon was 5 years older than Thomas. lol
Cope some more.

ingles por favor.
Geographically: Glasgow, Franklin-Simpson, and Hart Co are the Bowling Green area for 3A. As for Lexington and Louisville teams, most of them expect west teams to always play at their place. Then, they act like you need a passport to get to Western KY "that's a long drive" sort of attitude. Duh!

Belfry is a good team and a great program. They've always had my respect so that's not the issue. I just feel the remaining teams have just as much of an argument to say they are better than Belfry. I just read a thread recently that had many posters making negative statements at folks who play the "we lost but we're the better team" kind of thing. So, I guess I'll give my rebuttal.

Hart Co isn't a traditional powerhouse, so I understand the doubters. They are a good hard-nosed football team. (opponents: Spencer Co, Campbellsville, & Green Co are still playing. Not world beaters, but still playing means you're a quality football team)
Union Co graduated a ton last year and still playing good football. I'll agree this year's schedule is down but normally see teams like (Murray, Owensboro Cath, Madisonville-NH, Tilghman, Greenwood) on their schedule.

As for the others:
Bell Co just beat them
Rock Co beat Bell
CAL, LexCath, Central??? any questions
East Carter, I'll let their fans defend them

On to schedules:
MaxPreps SOS's 
CAL 7.2
Central 6.4
LexCath 5.2
Belfry -4.1
Hart Co -4.7
Union Co -6.4
Bell Co -9.4
Rock Co -17.5
East Carter -21.1

Now for all those "butt whoopins" that Belfry has given Western KY team............ 
In the past 20 years, Belfry is 2-0 (beat Owensboro Cath 28-21 in 2004, and Paducah Tilghman 33-28 in 2021) - Seems a bit of over exaggeration going on

Hopefully the RPI will set up some more matchups in the future without having to meet in the championship. That will be a drive!!  ;)
(11-12-2023, 05:58 AM)Glory_Days Wrote: Geographically: Glasgow, Franklin-Simpson, and Hart Co are the Bowling Green area for 3A. As for Lexington and Louisville teams, most of them expect west teams to always play at their place. Then, they act like you need a passport to get to Western KY "that's a long drive" sort of attitude. Duh!

Belfry is a good team and a great program. They've always had my respect so that's not the issue. I just feel the remaining teams have just as much of an argument to say they are better than Belfry. I just read a thread recently that had many posters making negative statements at folks who play the "we lost but we're the better team" kind of thing. So, I guess I'll give my rebuttal.

Hart Co isn't a traditional powerhouse, so I understand the doubters. They are a good hard-nosed football team. (opponents: Spencer Co, Campbellsville, & Green Co are still playing. Not world beaters, but still playing means you're a quality football team)
Union Co graduated a ton last year and still playing good football. I'll agree this year's schedule is down but normally see teams like (Murray, Owensboro Cath, Madisonville-NH, Tilghman, Greenwood) on their schedule.

As for the others:
Bell Co just beat them
Rock Co beat Bell
CAL, LexCath, Central??? any questions
East Carter, I'll let their fans defend them

On to schedules:
MaxPreps SOS's 
CAL 7.2
Central 6.4
LexCath 5.2
Belfry -4.1
Hart Co -4.7
Union Co -6.4
Bell Co -9.4
Rock Co -17.5
East Carter -21.1

Now for all those "butt whoopins" that Belfry has given Western KY team............ 
In the past 20 years, Belfry is 2-0 (beat Owensboro Cath 28-21 in 2004, and Paducah Tilghman 33-28 in 2021) - Seems a bit of over exaggeration going on

Hopefully the RPI will set up some more matchups in the future without having to meet in the championship. That will be a drive!!  Wink
I said mountains in general, So Pikeville, Hazard in the day, Bell County, Belfry, JC, Ashland etc etc. Especially in the past but even in recent years, the only team from that region of the state that has bested the mountains is FS over JC. 

And there are opponents in that region that teams can schedule in the non district. They should play against more teams like greenwood, a middle of the pack school that’s bigger that boosts RPIs unless they beat them like greenwood did . Russellville, CC, caldwell, and Caverna should not be on the schedule if not in district if they don’t wanna get overlooked.  

Not good districts either so that doesn’t help but they can’t change that.
(11-12-2023, 08:56 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: I said mountains in general, So Pikeville, Hazard in the day, Bell County, Belfry, JC, Ashland etc etc. Especially in the past but even in recent years, the only team from that region of the state that has bested the mountains is FS over JC. 

And there are opponents in that region that teams can schedule in the non district. They should play against more teams like greenwood, a middle of the pack school that’s bigger that boosts RPIs unless they beat them like greenwood did . Russellville, CC, caldwell, and Caverna should not be on the schedule if not in district if they don’t wanna get overlooked.  

Not good districts either so that doesn’t help but they can’t change that.

I can see there's not much use in trying to reason with you. You don't have much consideration for anyone but mountain teams. That's your opinion and I'll respect it.
FYI, District 2 in 3A is considered the best district top to bottom.

As for all the other mountain teams you listed: 
JC is 2-3 (1-2 against Franklin-Simpson, lost to South Warren, beat Madisonville)
Hazard 1-1 (split championships with Mayfield)
Ashland 0-0
Pikeville 3-0 (beat Russellville twice, beat a terrible Calloway Co team that was 0-10)
Bell Co 0-0
(11-11-2023, 10:50 AM)Granny Bear Wrote:
(11-11-2023, 10:33 AM)pirateforlife Wrote: One thing that I was a little surprised with was the size of the crowd for Belfry. I figured the bleachers would be full for this one but it wasn’t. When my son played and years after he graduated the bleachers were full for games like this. Just don’t have much of them atmospheres anymore. I can remember the 2010 vs Somerset or 2105 vs Corbin or even 2018 vs Boyle. Cam was rocking those nights but last night was not the case.

I don't remember the exact year that we played at Belfry, but it was magnificent.  I had two babies on HC's team, and Whitey Gibbs' son played directly against my baby.  My baby was 6'4" and 305.  I jaw jacked for an entire week with Belfry fans; especially Whitey.  We were going to fight under the bleachers!!!  SO MUCH trash talking that entire week; I think I may have gotten banned for 3 days.  

But by the time I got to Belfry, I was carrying 3 homemade cakes for tailgating.  I, and all HC fans, had been invited to eat together with Belfry fans.  It was a gorgeous night, too.  I will never ever forget that experience!!!  I made some life long relationships that night!!

AND, you couldn't get another fan in the bleachers with a shoe horn!  On either side!!!  It was loud, obnoxious and furious.  I LOVED IT!!!

And those cakes were gooooood!!! I never got that jersey on that goat either !!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes skully03's post:
  • Granny Bear