Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike County Central 2024
As a Hawk fan we have enough talent an player's to have a good football team. we started out this past season good then jus go down hill yea i know the games where cupcakes but from where they was past few years where teams of the same caliber beat them they won an did good but just lay a goose egg what is ever bodys thoughts
(11-06-2023, 09:09 PM)Hawks101 Wrote: As a Hawk fan we have enough talent an player's to have a good football team. we started out this past season good then jus go down hill yea i know the games where cupcakes but from where they was past few years where teams of the same caliber beat them they won an did good but just lay a goose egg what is ever bodys thoughts

They need to keep on keeping on. They made progress this year, now they need to keep building on it.
The problem that will continue to hold back the Hawks from thriving will be the Poor Offensive Scheme they Run. Until that philosophy changes then their ceiling is very Low.
I think there defence looked good at times an sloppy at times. but you are correct there scheme at the offence side is rather perdictable. the coaching staff did lot of things different this year than past few year's not saying there best coach's but they seem to do things different i noticed.
Until they prioritize football, they won’t be a great program. They are basketball first and baseball second at that school. Their more talented players often go elsewhere and I don’t blame them. Since consolidating, they should have been THE school in eastern KY for sports. They’ve underachieved all around honestly.
I think what’s happening at PC is lack of discipline. You see how they started the beginning of the year and then how they ended. The beginning of the year I noticed a lot less flags with holding, personal fouls and such…as the year went on, those penalties started to add up.

To be successful in the future…knuckles does not need to be the QB.
(11-06-2023, 11:33 PM)Belichick Wrote: Until they prioritize football, they won’t be a great program. They are basketball first and baseball second at that school. Their more talented players often go elsewhere and I don’t blame them. Since consolidating, they should have been THE school in eastern KY for sports. They’ve underachieved all around honestly.

This has been said about all schools in Pike County.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Real Badman's post:
  • Hawks101
(11-07-2023, 01:01 AM)Real Badman Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 11:33 PM)Belichick Wrote: Until they prioritize football, they won’t be a great program. They are basketball first and baseball second at that school. Their more talented players often go elsewhere and I don’t blame them. Since consolidating, they should have been THE school in eastern KY for sports. They’ve underachieved all around honestly.

Pikeville has underachieved? I’d disagree with all schools but definitely Pike Central and East Ridge after consolidating have been very disappointing. Their poor status has probably helped Shelby Valley and Pikeville.

Correct thats always said besides pikeville or belfry

I think i can agree with you about basketball. I do know the AD loves it an trys to turn on football ever chance
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hawks101's post:
  • Belichick
(11-07-2023, 01:58 PM)Hawks101 Wrote:

Correct thats always said besides pikeville or belfry

Yes that. 

Pikeville and Belfry will always be strong

Valley and Central will have their time occasionally

East Ridge is a head scratcher - Gone are the days of Jack Hall and Elkhorn City

Phelps will always struggle
Yes….they’ve underachieved in football….but I’m not sure where you come to the conclusion they should have been THE school.  I have to ask…..how familiar are you with Pike Co?
[-] The following 1 user Likes OutlawJoseyWales's post:
  • Belichick
Mullins was garbage for the 10+ years they had a program, but then again so was Virgie minue a few seasons. Johns Creek had a few good years. Overall not the "school"
Having a state power in football 5 minutes down the road in Pikeville and another state power 15 down the road in Belfry is always gonna make it tough for the Hawks in football.

No excuse though for being bad at other sports like Pike Central has been since its inception.
(11-07-2023, 11:14 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:
Yes….they’ve underachieved in football….but I’m not sure where you come to the conclusion they should have been THE school.  I have to ask…..how familiar are you with Pike Co?
I’m old but lived and played in Pike Co. Johns Creek had some great years in all 3 sports. Mullins may have not been great but they had some kids who could play. The school was placed closer to Pikeville in hopes to pull from Pikeville/Shelby/Floyd. Didn’t really happen. I think they were in a good location and with the 2 schools they consolidated and possibility of pulling other locals in, they could have been THE school. They are literally in the city where all of Pike Co funnels. No other school with that location advantage except Pikeville and they charge tuition for out of town kids. I can understand football not being as strong because of Belfry and Pikeville next door but no reason they can’t compete and definitely no excuse for baseball or basketball not being strong on a yearly basis. Bottom line is they have underachieved and lose talented kids to opposing schools frequently. Some of it is leadership/coaches they’ve selected. Some of it is lack of culture. What’s their identity? Not dumping on them. I think they should have been better and possibly still can be.
I have said this on here before. I hate what consolidation has done to rural communities. It has stolen their identity and their pride. Elkhorn City was a thriving community in the day and had great HS sports teams. EC grads are highly successful and are as smart as anyone anywhere they go on the planet. Same with Feds Creek and Millard grads. Now they have a school out on 3 lane US 460 nobody gives a sh!t about. Elkhorn City was a thriving community when I was in high school, so was Feds Creek and Millard. I think it's the same in other rural counties. EC was 20 minute drive from Pikeville and my beautiful girlfriend was captain of cheerleaders there. All those people moved out long ago, miss those days very bad.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Panther Thunder
(11-08-2023, 12:20 AM)Belichick Wrote:
I’m old but lived and played in Pike Co. Johns Creek had some great years in all 3 sports. Mullins may have not been great but they had some kids who could play. The school was placed closer to Pikeville in hopes to pull from Pikeville/Shelby/Floyd. Didn’t really happen. I think they were in a good location and with the 2 schools they consolidated and possibility of pulling other locals in, they could have been THE school. They are literally in the city where all of Pike Co funnels. No other school with that location advantage except Pikeville and they charge tuition for out of town kids. I can understand football not being as strong because of Belfry and Pikeville next door but no reason they can’t compete and definitely no excuse for baseball or basketball not being strong on a yearly basis. Bottom line is they have underachieved and lose talented kids to opposing schools frequently. Some of it is leadership/coaches they’ve selected. Some of it is lack of culture. What’s their identity? Not dumping on them. I think they should have been better and possibly still can be.
I think there were several folks like you that felt or perhaps wanted PCC to be the epicenter of the county school system.  However….IMO, the school has been fraught will administration issues, nepotism and some bad luck.  Belfry and Pikeville have such strong football traditions….that PCC has simply crumbled under the weight of trying to compete.   The bigger issue is Pikeville….. And the direction the city has moved.  With the hospital and upike  exploding in size and growth….Pikeville HS has benefited the most. The Panthers have always been strong across academic and athletic pursuits….but lately they have simply dominated across most sports and academic Areas. .   With that….PCC has found themselves being the red headed step child up the road.  While initially…..   The location of the school seemed logical…..looking back  I personally think it  was wrong.   They could have still pulled Mullins in by moving it back towards John’s Creek… and then worked to bringing Phelps in as well.  Athletically speaking..IMO….if Phelps could have been included……that could have changed things ….especially in basketball and baseball.   Johns Creek had a proud tradition …..but just not enough “juice” to build the epicenter of the school system around.   Between The virgie area and then Frank Welch controlling the Pike Co BOE for as long as they did……PCC didn’t stand a chance.   Not to say that it can’t change in the future……because it may…..just have to wait and see.
(11-08-2023, 01:08 AM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:
(11-08-2023, 12:20 AM)Belichick Wrote:
I think there were several folks like you that felt or perhaps wanted PCC to be the epicenter of the county school system.  However….IMO, the school has been fraught will administration issues, nepotism and some bad luck.  Belfry and Pikeville have such strong football traditions….that PCC has simply crumbled under the weight of trying to compete.   The bigger issue is Pikeville….. And the direction the city has moved.  With the hospital and upike  exploding in size and growth….Pikeville HS has benefited the most. The Panthers have always been strong across academic and athletic pursuits….but lately they have simply dominated across most sports and academic Areas. .   With that….PCC has found themselves being the red headed step child up the road.  While initially…..   The location of the school seemed logical…..looking back  I personally think it  was wrong.   They could have still pulled Mullins in by moving it back towards John’s Creek… and then worked to bringing Phelps in as well.  Athletically speaking..IMO….if Phelps could have been included……that could have changed things ….especially in basketball and baseball.   Johns Creek had a proud tradition …..but just not enough “juice” to build the epicenter of the school system around.   Between The virgie area and then Frank Welch controlling the Pike Co BOE for as long as they did……PCC didn’t stand a chance.   Not to say that it can’t change in the future……because it may…..just have to wait and see.
There was a short stretch during the Chapman years PC was the 2nd best team in Pike County behind Belfry.
PCC faces challenges in comparison to established schools like Pikeville and Belfry, particularly in their approach to elementary sports. Pikeville and Belfry have strong sports programs, particularly in football, which begin at a young age and continue through high school. On the other hand, PCC's middle school football program leaves kids without proper development opportunities. They lack weight programs even in high school, hindering athlete development. PCC also lacks a robust coaching staff to nurture talent from middle school onwards.

When comparing PCC to Pikeville or Belfry, a noticeable difference is the conditioning of their athletes, which speaks volumes. Aside from a few exceptions like Mac or Chapman, PCC struggles to hire coaches who can groom talent from the lower levels. They tend to draw from the same coaching pool and rarely consider outside hires who could potentially bring about change and enthusiasm among the students.

Furthermore, PCC faces issues with parental involvement in coaching decisions, which often leads to conflicts over playing time. Pikeville and Belfry seem to have stricter policies in place to avoid such interference.

For PCC to improve, they need to implement a weight program and ensure that students adhere to it. Additionally, hiring strong coaches who can revitalize the program and reduce the influence of parents in coaching decisions is essential. Without these changes, PCC is likely to continue experiencing the same issues.
I do know after Chapman left there was some good coach's that applied for the job with good resume. but they choose to stay with insider's an i think that is the problem it effects the way kids respone as well cause if the coachs aint pulling for weight lifting conditioning etc. an trying to build for the future your goin to loose want good players you have for better schools
If Pike Central can’t win the district next year they probably never will. PC returns most their teams and Shelby Valley graduates Osborne and a lot of other good players. Betsy Layne graduates a lot of their better players and East Ridge graduates Adkins and Layne. No more excuses over there on Buckley’s creek next year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • Hawks101
(11-08-2023, 06:50 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: If Pike Central can’t win the district next year they probably never will. PC returns most their teams and Shelby Valley graduates Osborne and a lot of other good players. Betsy Layne graduates a lot of their better players and East Ridge graduates Adkins and Layne. No more excuses over there on Buckley’s creek next year.
Yelp i was getting ready to say same thing.
(11-08-2023, 06:50 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: If Pike Central can’t win the district next year they probably never will. PC returns most their teams and Shelby Valley graduates Osborne and a lot of other good players. Betsy Layne graduates a lot of their better players and East Ridge graduates Adkins and Layne. No more excuses over there on Buckley’s creek next year.
Unfortunately, this situation is unlikely to change next year either unless there's a coaching staff committed to improving during the off-season and holding both themselves and the kids accountable. PCC will persist in losing their talented athletes to other schools, primarily because these young athletes prefer not to play under mediocre coaches. Consider the scenario if talents like Brendon Anthony, Boykins, and Jayden Justice hadn't transferred. However, these athletes recognized the issues, and it's hard to fault them for making that decision.
Won’t Belfry be in their district next year cause they are taking the ability to play up away from teams next year.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(11-08-2023, 09:10 PM)Spud6 Wrote: Won’t Belfry be in their district next year cause they are taking the ability to play up away from teams next year.
No be the year after. The reclassifaction was for 2 years.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hawks101's post:
  • Spud6