Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overachieving and Underachieving Teams
Name some teams who exceeded your expectations for this season and some who underperformed this season based on your preseason expectations?
Too early?
(11-06-2023, 12:12 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Too early?
I’d say Betsy Layne and Floyd Central have already exceeded expectations whether they win Friday or not. Prestonsburg and Pike Central were disappointments based on what I expected preseason. Thought they both could host a win a home playoff game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • Westside
(11-06-2023, 12:38 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 12:12 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Too early?
I’d say Betsy Layne and Floyd Central have already exceeded expectations whether they win Friday or not. Prestonsburg and Pike Central were disappointments based on what I expected preseason. Thought they both could host a win a home playoff game.

Agreed
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Westside
Liked East Ridge competing this year.
I think that, with the Bobcat faithful predicting a potential semi-finals appearance, along with a #4 ranking in 2A, and #5 in the Mountain Top Ten, that Breathitt County going 6-6 with no impressive wins would have to be considered underachieving.
[-] The following 2 users Like Walt Longmire's post:
  • Deuce8, TheStickyBandit
(11-06-2023, 02:53 AM)Walt Longmire Wrote: I think that, with the Bobcat faithful predicting a potential semi-finals appearance, along with a #4 ranking in 2A, and #5 in the Mountain Top Ten, that Breathitt County going 6-6 with no impressive wins would have to be considered underachieving.
I agree. How many team did they beat that play this week? Seems like every good team they played they not only lost but were blown out
(11-06-2023, 03:34 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 02:53 AM)Walt Longmire Wrote: I think that, with the Bobcat faithful predicting a potential semi-finals appearance, along with a #4 ranking in 2A, and #5 in the Mountain Top Ten, that Breathitt County going 6-6 with no impressive wins would have to be considered underachieving.
I agree. How many team did they beat that play this week? Seems like every good team they played they not only lost but were blown out

Leslie County is the only team that Breathitt County defeated that is still playing in round 2.  The teams that they beat had a combined record of 21-44.
The first one that comes to my mind is Grayson County. As of now they are 10-1 & I would predict a win this week vs Fairdale. They started the season with a 7-pt win over Edmonson County & then a loss to a down Marshall County. So, at this point, it looked like it was going to be a down year. They were a completely different team after that loss & haven't lost a single game since. For sure, they have had a schedule favorable to success, but they did pick up a couple quality wins against McLean & Hancock Counties & have a real shot at going to the 3rd rd of the 5A playoffs.
Underachieving: Woodford, Simon Kenton, Shelby county

Overachieving: Paris, Desales, Johnson central (due to overcoming injury bug)
Johnson Central is built to overcome injuries. Jesse is doing a great job with everything he has been dealt. Across the creek, that is a dumpster fire. My how quick they have fallen off. .500 three years in a row. Glad I am on the right side of the creek. Heck 2 of them loses Jesse's bunch has will be to state champions in Pikeville and Corbin
(11-06-2023, 01:38 PM)Puncheon Creek Wrote: Johnson Central is built to overcome injuries. Jesse is doing a great job with everything he has been dealt. Across the creek, that is a dumpster fire. My how quick they have fallen off. .500 three years in a row. Glad I am on the right side of the creek. Heck 2 of them loses Jesse's bunch has will be to state champions in Pikeville and Corbin
Welcome. You are gonna be fun! 

Over- Martin Co. 

Under- Hazard- even if they weren’t considered threats this year, they have really fallen off. I hear the middle school is solid so maybe it’s a quick turnaround.
(11-06-2023, 01:38 PM)Puncheon Creek Wrote: Johnson Central is built to overcome injuries. Jesse is doing a great job with everything he has been dealt. Across the creek, that is a dumpster fire. My how quick they have fallen off. .500 three years in a row. Glad I am on the right side of the creek. Heck 2 of them loses Jesse's bunch has will be to state champions in Pikeville and Corbin
Hahahahaha I hate to be the one to tell you but your school system is very worried about the future of Paintsville football. So worried in fact, they had  their 6th grade coach ref some paintsville elementary football games. He seen enough that he turned down playing them twice and he had an older football team.  If you’re going to pretend everything is just peachy keen over at Daddy Ball Central, you must not socialize very much.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bud_Bundy's post:
  • CheapTalkit
(11-06-2023, 04:16 PM)Bud_Bundy Wrote:
Hahahahaha I hate to be the one to tell you but your school system is very worried about the future of Paintsville football. So worried in fact, they had  their 6th grade coach ref some paintsville elementary football games. He seen enough that he turned down playing them twice and he had an older football team.  If you’re going to pretend everything is just peachy keen over at Daddy Ball Central, you must not socialize very much.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA........ why would be concerned about a team that will most likely have a new coach in the next year. A team that barely has twenty on the sideline. Jesse aint going to let this program slide. keep polishing those elementary trophies. we prefer the ones the KHSAA hands out for winning in December.
(11-06-2023, 04:47 PM)Puncheon Creek Wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA........ why would be concerned about a team that will most likely have a new coach in the next year. A team that barely has twenty on the sideline. Jesse aint going to let this program slide. keep polishing those elementary trophies. we prefer the ones the KHSAA hands out for winning in December.

Peck won't be getting any of them you get in December anytime soon either. Paintsville has a championship more recent than Central. Keep polishing those district championship trophies.
[-] The following 2 users Like Waitaminute's post:
  • Hoss Cat, Shondue
Somerset is the team that comes to my mind. I think in a short time they will be contending for a 2A title.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bull got out!'s post:
  • pjdoug, ROCKSOLID69, Walt Longmire
(11-06-2023, 04:56 PM)Waitaminute Wrote:

Peck won't be getting any of them you get in December anytime soon either. Paintsville has a championship more recent than Central. Keep polishing those district championship trophies.
No way we are comparing the schools in Johnson county in football since matney moved to JC. That was 2 decades ago, and there’s a reason the apple bowl is no longer a thought of being played. Running clock in 5 straight meetings and would’ve been every year since they quit. 

PS paintsville and jericho owes hazard a lump sum after the upset in 20’ to get that state title you speak of…
(11-06-2023, 07:04 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote:

No way we are comparing the schools in Johnson county in football since matney moved to JC. That was 2 decades ago, and there’s a reason the apple bowl is no longer a thought of being played. Running clock in 5 straight meetings and would’ve been every year since they quit. 

PS paintsville and jericho owes hazard a lump sum after the upset in 20’ to get that state title you speak of…

Football is classed for a reason. It’s shameful it took 30 years to get a coach that could consistently beat Paintsville. 

We don’t owe Hazard a dang thing. You do realize that Hazard didn’t have a single first down against Paintsville until the 4th quarter? It was going to take a great effort from a 1A team to beat us that night. 

PS his name is Chirico.
[-] The following 3 users Like 2000PHS's post:
  • Bud_Bundy, CheapTalkit, Waitaminute
(11-06-2023, 06:30 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: Somerset is the team that comes to my mind. I think in a short time they will be contending for a 2A title.
Somerset is going to be fierce over the coming years. If they can fix their penalty issues (and I have all the confidence in the world that Clevenger can) then I think they can be perennial 2A contenders.
[-] The following 2 users Like The Red Eminence's post:
  • Buford T Justice, Walt Longmire
I think Pike Central was the disappointment this year.
(11-06-2023, 07:21 PM)2000PHS Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 07:04 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 04:16 PM)Bud_Bundy Wrote: Hahahahaha I hate to be the one to tell you but your school system is very worried about the future of Paintsville football. So worried in fact, they had  their 6th grade coach ref some paintsville elementary football games. He seen enough that he turned down playing them twice and he had an older football team.  If you’re going to pretend everything is just peachy keen over at Daddy Ball Central, you must not socialize very much.

Football is classed for a reason. It’s shameful it took 30 years to get a coach that could consistently beat Paintsville. 

We don’t owe Hazard a dang thing. You do realize that Hazard didn’t have a single first down against Paintsville until the 4th quarter? It was going to take a great effort from a 1A team to beat us that night. 

PS his name is Chirico.
That guy has no idea what he is talking about. Jesse Peck isn’t even in the ball park of being as good as Jim Matney. Same can be said about Hoskins compared to Joe Chirico. Some JC people on here aren’t smart enough to understand they have an advantage over the whole 15th region because they have more kids then some 5A schools.  “We put a running clock on you, we’re so awesome for doing that against a class A school” LOL!

A program that played for 5 state titles in a row in 4A is now bragging about losing to a Class A school that’s a contender for a state championship. Then the guy is bragging about a butt whipping from a team in contention in their class. Hahahahaha BUT the programs not slipping? LOL!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bud_Bundy's post:
  • Waitaminute
I love a good Paintsville/JC throwdown. Like watching a couple pigs wallering in the slop, except one pig arrived in a Tahoe and the other in an old Ford with trucknutz. Hopefully, they both continue their downward trend.
(11-06-2023, 08:28 PM)The Red Eminence Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 06:30 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: Somerset is the team that comes to my mind. I think in a short time they will be contending for a 2A title.
Somerset is going to be fierce over the coming years. If they can fix their penalty issues (and I have all the confidence in the world that Clevenger can) then I think they can be perennial 2A contenders.
Somerset future is bright before the season everybody thought this would be clevenger worst team going forward they will be really good next year they return the entire D line and a lot of the O they do loose one player Kam Hughes that will be hard to replace but his younger brother is a sophomore that is really good their 6 grade will be playing Pikeville for a middle school championship this weekend with mostly 5 th graders on the team and the 8th grade got beat last weekend withe mostly 7th graders in fact they don’t even have enough 8th graders to make a team most of their players are 7th playing up on 8th. I also fully expect them to start pulling some kids from Pulaski and maybe Danville also. Clevenger has changed the entire mindset of the program much quicker than expected.
[-] The following 2 users Like Buford T Justice's post:
  • The Red Eminence, Walt Longmire
Pulaski County seems to be underachievers. With the talent they have they are the 3rd best team in the county.
(11-07-2023, 10:49 AM)Buford T Justice Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 08:28 PM)The Red Eminence Wrote:
Somerset future is bright before the season everybody thought this would be clevenger worst team going forward they will be really good next year they return the entire D line and a lot of the O they do loose one player Kam Hughes that will be hard to replace but his younger brother is a sophomore that is really good  their 6 grade will be playing Pikeville for a middle school championship this weekend with mostly  5 th graders on the team and the 8th grade got beat last weekend withe mostly 7th graders in fact they don’t even have enough 8th graders to make a team most of their players are 7th playing up on 8th. I also fully expect them to start pulling some kids from Pulaski and maybe Danville also. Clevenger has changed the entire mindset of the program much quicker than expected.
I couldn't agree more and am glad you brought up the returning players. You can't overstate the impact experience has on a team. You said it best: Clevenger has changed the mindset of the program. Most of all, he did it quickly. That is a testament to his ability as a leader. Somerset, you got a good one.
[-] The following 3 users Like The Red Eminence's post:
  • Buford T Justice, Shondue, Walt Longmire

All I got to say is JC and Paintsville are on completely different levels, JC would beat the brakes off PV. We don't need to go there really so why don't we let this one slide?
(11-07-2023, 02:37 PM)The Red Eminence Wrote:
(11-07-2023, 10:49 AM)Buford T Justice Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 08:28 PM)The Red Eminence Wrote:
Somerset future is bright before the season everybody thought this would be clevenger worst team going forward they will be really good next year they return the entire D line and a lot of the O they do loose one player Kam Hughes that will be hard to replace but his younger brother is a sophomore that is really good  their 6 grade will be playing Pikeville for a middle school championship this weekend with mostly  5 th graders on the team and the 8th grade got beat last weekend withe mostly 7th graders in fact they don’t even have enough 8th graders to make a team most of their players are 7th playing up on 8th. I also fully expect them to start pulling some kids from Pulaski and maybe Danville also. Clevenger has changed the entire mindset of the program much quicker than expected.
I couldn't agree more and am glad you brought up the returning players. You can't overstate the impact experience has on a team. You said it best: Clevenger has changed the mindset of the program. Most of all, he did it quickly. That is a testament to his ability as a leader. Somerset, you got a good one.
Also returning the QB Bruner for his senior year.
[-] The following 3 users Like Shondue's post:
  • Buford T Justice, The Red Eminence, Walt Longmire
(11-07-2023, 02:48 PM)Hoss Cat Wrote:

All I got to say is JC and Paintsville are on completely different levels, JC would beat the brakes off PV. We don't need to go there really so why don't we let this one slide?

A high numbered 4A school would beat a 1A school, wow I'd write home about that one! Neither are in the state championship talk and neither will be for awhile either.
(11-07-2023, 02:48 PM)Hoss Cat Wrote:

Did you not read the posts saying they shouldn’t be? One school is a very small Class A school and the other one is 4A and bigger than some 5A schools.
Well this got outta hand quick. Just said I was glad I was a JC fan and not a Paintsville fan. Any truth to the rumors that Paintsville is losing players after season wraps up? At least that is the talk up at the barber shop. We would gladly welcome them.