Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Betsy Layne 21 Prestonsburg 7 (1st Rd Playoffs)
For the second time in 30 some years, Betsy Layne defeats Prestonsburg and this time in the playoffs. I think I read this is Betsy Layne's first playoff win. Huge for Jarrell and this program. They've got a real chance to get their second playoff win against Martin County next week.
[-] The following 2 users Like Khalisimo's post:
  • Walt Longmire, Westside
Congrats to the Bobcats! Now go beat Martin County.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Westside
(11-03-2023, 10:36 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Congrats to the Bobcats! Now go beat Martin County.
The two teams scrimmaged prior to the season and it was a competitive affair. A lot has changed since then. Especially considering Martin County lost 2 weeks after that scrimmage to a team they beat by 40 tonight. Should be a dandy!
Congratulations Bobcats!!
Another losing season, another first round loss, and another loss to Betsy Layne! This should get Brewer an extension!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blackcat 4 Life's post:
  • BlackcatPride32
Congrats Bobcats!!!! School history was made tonight. Prestonsburg hung tough and never quit. They made the Bobcats earn this one.
Congratulations to Betsy Layne
I thought Prestonsburg played about a good a game defensively as they’ve played all season. Logan Stumbo was a BEAST tonight for Prestonsburg.

Offensively, it was clear that the Blackcats wanted to run the ball tonight and eat up clock. Unfortunately, they just couldn’t find ways to score points. I didn’t think Dalton Elliott got near enough touches. Lack of a vertical passing game, or a 2 minute offense really hurt the Blackcats tonight. I said in be prediction thread that if this game got close they needed to have the passing game ready. It clearly wasn’t. I think they called maybe 4 passes all game and only two balls got thrown. I’m no coach, but I feel like the talent was there this season to develop this passing game. Also, the most effective running play all season was counter to Rose and it wasn’t called (that I noticed) until midway through the 4th quarter and it led to Pburgs lone TD. ‘I think’ Prestonsburg took 2 timeouts home with them tonight also. Very frustrating.

Betsy Layne had to earn it tonight and they did. Williams & McCutcheon are excellent football players. Congrats to the Bobcats!
What a night to be a Betsy Layne Bobcat fan! This was the biggest game in the programs existence with a chance to double down on history on beating Pburg twice in one year and then write a new chapter with the first ever playoff victory!

Pburg fought way harder this game than they did in the regular season and that’s the result of the tight game. It was tight the whole way until Dylon Williams thought an absolute bomb to Andrew Kidd for a 40+ yard touchdown.

Magical night on the hill and these boys have a chance to go even one step further and beat a good Martin County football team at Martin County next week.

Proud of them and the coaches!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • Blacksmith
Another very disappointing season for the red and black. Pretty talented team that just never put it all together. 6 years into the Brewer regime and the blackcats have only had 1 winning season and have yet to gain a playoff win. He seems to have stopped the exodus of transfers in the last 3 or 4 years, but still hasn't achieved much success. Unprecedented, i believe, for Pburg to go 6 seasons without a playoff win. Definitely unprecedented to be the worst high school football team in floyd county.

Congrats to the bobcats, they have an excellent coaching staff and a talented team. Under other circumstances I would be ecstatic to see FC and BL both win a playoff game, but it's too dark of a day in the burg for that. 

I'm not sure what the answer is, but something has to change this off season. Enough is enough.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Red and Black's post:
  • Blacksmith
Changes have got to be made in Prestonsburg I would love to see brewer change up his coaching staff or playbook or both
A lot needs to change in pburg!!!! From coaching to parents!!!! The culture needs to change fast if it’s not too late already!!!!
(11-04-2023, 08:34 PM)Owlhooter Wrote: A lot needs to change in pburg!!!! From coaching to parents!!!!  The culture needs to change fast if it’s not too late already!!!!
Well , I’ll just tell you something,   You better start making some changes at the elementary level first. Or is Gorilla mom going to be let to run the show at the high school level too? Prestonsburg has a major embarrassment at the elementary level that obviously nobody wants to contend with.
(11-04-2023, 09:07 PM)Bob Seger Wrote:
(11-04-2023, 08:34 PM)Owlhooter Wrote: A lot needs to change in pburg!!!! From coaching to parents!!!!  The culture needs to change fast if it’s not too late already!!!!
Well , I’ll just tell you something,   You better start making some changes at the elementary level first. Or is Gorilla mom going to be let to run the show at the high school level too? Prestonsburg has a major embarrassment at the elementary level that obviously nobody wants to contend with.
When you have parents running the show and it isn’t dealt with, it falls on the Administration and Coaches. If coaches continue to “cave” and allow a certain few to dictate who they play and how they play, they need to step aside, and give the jobs to people with a backbone! I have been hearing there are several parents at the elementary/middle school level who are looking to move their kids to get away from certain people who are all about drama and control. I will always be loyal and true but something has got to change not only on the high school level, but all levels. It’s embarrassing!
I would look for a couple of current Blackcats to be at Betsy Layne next Season. I know one inparticular that will coming back to Betsy Layne.
I hope he stays. If it’s the one I’m thinking about he could be very good with good coaching and good leadership. I have been to a lot of games this year. What I don’t understand is just the lack of football knowledge. Some people think every tackle is a face mask or a horse collar. Or little Johnny is getting held every play.
Why does Brandon Brewer still have a job? One of the worst coaching performances I’ve ever seen.
I think changes do need to be made going into spring. I'm fine with keeping coach Brewer as head coach, but I do think that he needs to reevaluate a lot of things over the next few months and most importantly, he needs to find more assistant football coaches who can help him and this program going forward. I think that coach Brewer and his lead assistant, Derek Newsome were spread too thin this past season. They wore too many hats and couldn't coach up each position group the way that was needed and I think that hurt this team. I think there's guys helping at the middle school level that would help the high school program.

I also think offensive philosophy needs to change 100%. Prestonsburg has averaged 21.8 points per game under Coach Brandon Brewer and 26.8 over the previous 3 seasons. That's not acceptable. Prestonsburg doesn't usually produce the size or depth needed to play smashmouth football. I think they need to be more balanced and become more explosive. Wouldn't hurt to look at what Shelby Valley done with their offense when Russ Osborne walked on to campus.

Changes need to happen. I don't have all the answers. I love Prestonsburg Football and always will, but I'd be lying if I told you I thought everything was good right now. Hopefully the Prestonsburg coaches dig deep and are honest with themselves, I hope our administration does what's best for the student athletes, and I hope our parents of current and future Blackcats are patient in their decision making.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Red and Black
(11-06-2023, 10:41 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I think changes do need to be made going into spring. I'm fine with keeping coach Brewer as head coach, but I do think that he needs to reevaluate a lot of things over the next few months and most importantly, he needs to find more assistant football coaches who can help him and this program going forward. I think that coach Brewer and his lead assistant, Derek Newsome were spread too thin this past season. They wore too many hats and couldn't coach up each position group the way that was needed and I think that hurt this team. I think there's guys helping at the middle school level that would help the high school program.

I also think offensive philosophy needs to change 100%. Prestonsburg has averaged 21.8 points per game under Coach Brandon Brewer and 26.8 over the previous 3 seasons. That's not acceptable. Prestonsburg doesn't usually produce the size or depth needed to play smashmouth football. I think they need to be more balanced and become more explosive. Wouldn't hurt to look at what Shelby Valley done with their offense when Russ Osborne walked on to campus.

Changes need to happen. I don't have all the answers. I love Prestonsburg Football and always will, but I'd be lying if I told you I thought everything was good right now. Hopefully the Prestonsburg coaches dig deep and are honest with themselves, I hope our administration does what's best for the student athletes, and I hope our parents of current and future Blackcats are patient in their decision making.

Is Prestonsburgs QB suppose to be good? Haven’t really seen him throw a ball that made me think this kid needs the offense built around him.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(11-06-2023, 10:49 PM)Spud6 Wrote:
(11-06-2023, 10:41 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I think changes do need to be made going into spring. I'm fine with keeping coach Brewer as head coach, but I do think that he needs to reevaluate a lot of things over the next few months and most importantly, he needs to find more assistant football coaches who can help him and this program going forward. I think that coach Brewer and his lead assistant, Derek Newsome were spread too thin this past season. They wore too many hats and couldn't coach up each position group the way that was needed and I think that hurt this team. I think there's guys helping at the middle school level that would help the high school program.

Is Prestonsburgs QB suppose to be good? Haven’t really seen him throw a ball that made me think this kid needs the offense built around him.
I think he played great first half of his freshman season (46-77 414 yds 2TDs 1INT) and then lost his confidence after the BL game and it spiraled downhill after that for not only him but the whole team.

https://share.qwikcut.com/6541167506d955...Highlights
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Spud6
Maybe the coaches should focus on coaching instead of trying to call me out on social media for their ineptness to beat Floyd County programs. The school is in shambles in every sport and nobody in the administration gives two craps. We’ve let former Betsy Layne folks come in and run the school straight into the ground. The amount of respect I’ve lost for the program I once bled for is sad. The year Bricken was hired as principal was the year Prestonsburg went into a tailspin that will never be fixed.

Prestonsburg had as much talent at skill positions as they’ve had in years yet we had 4 plays in the playbook. Coaches today have no clue how to build a program around their players but instead try and force their style onto each and every roster they acquire. It doesn’t work that way and never will. If you have a team full of speed yet lack size and want to play smash mouth football, you’re going to end up with a team full of injuries and losses. I don’t know crap about the ins and outs of football but I’ve got enough sense to know that whatever this staff thought they were doing with this team this year, it was the complete opposite of what needed to happen. Time for wholesale changes or else you’re going to watch what’s left in our middle and grade schools go elsewhere. Not that the current administration cares.
Prestonsburg and a lot of Floyd co sports in general cant get away from good ol' boy ball.. They let parents, buddies and people who have no right to be running programs, run programs....I really thought that by now we would have seen the last of this foolishness, I grew up with it, played with it.. Its embedded in Floyd co and for some reason they cant see the damage it does
Sounds like dark days for the blackcats.
It happens, not bringing up the name of my team because I'll get accused of saying they are the best team ever but we was the best in the state in the 90s and early 2000s
Then they went a few seasons with loses on there side, all the teams around them were really good also!!! Got a different coach and had a few good seasons. Then I ielieve 2013 they started to have seasons with no wins!!
Because parents and a coach that is about only showing up to have something to do, no real football discipline. Now in the last 3 years the coaching staff changed. This year alone they've added 5 or 6 new coaches, offensive coaches to defensive coaches, now the are on track and playing some decent football!! I really think our coach wants to build a legacy!! As of right now at every level the football program is looking bright for years to come!!
(11-07-2023, 02:22 AM)Senters_93 Wrote: Sounds like dark days for the blackcats.
It happens, not bringing up the name of  my team because I'll get accused of saying they are the best team ever but we was the best in the state in the 90s and early 2000s
Then they went a few seasons with loses on there side, all the teams around them were really good also!!! Got a different coach and had a few good seasons. Then I ielieve 2013 they started to have seasons with no wins!!
Because parents and a coach that is about only showing up to have something to do,  no real football discipline. Now in the last 3 years the coaching staff changed. This year alone they've added 5 or 6 new coaches, offensive coaches to defensive coaches, now the are on track and playing some decent football!! I really think our coach wants to build a legacy!! As of right now at every level the football program is looking bright for years to come!!

It’s a fun little trivia game in my brain trying to figure this one out.
#BBFL
I’m guessing Sheldon Clark/Martin County.

Winless in 2013. Deep run in 98. Very solid in 99 and 00
I've been out and about all over town this past weekend, and everyone you talk to seems to agree that it's time for change within the football program. I don't have a problem with keeping Brewer on as a teacher or another role in the school system, but it's time for a new coach a the helm. I'm getting mixed signals from people in the know about what the future holds next year. Some are saying Brewer is gone, and some are saying the high school principal has no intention of letting Brewer go. I'm to the point I agree with everyone else on this page about the Administration not caring about the present or the future of Prestonsburg athletics. What people don't understand is the best football players in the feeder systems are your best basketball and baseball players as well. If these kids leave then all programs are going to suffer. It just doesn't make any sense!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blackcat 4 Life's post:
  • BlackcatPride32
(11-07-2023, 09:31 AM)BlackcatPride32 Wrote: I’m guessing Sheldon Clark/Martin County.

Winless in 2013. Deep run in 98. Very solid in 99 and 00
Nope, close to  Sheldon clark
(11-07-2023, 09:46 AM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: I've been out and about all over town this past weekend, and everyone you talk to seems to agree that it's time for change within the football program. I don't have a problem with keeping Brewer on as a teacher or another role in the school system, but it's time for a new coach a the helm. I'm getting mixed signals from people in the know about what the future holds next year. Some are saying Brewer is gone, and some are saying the high school principal has no intention of letting Brewer go. I'm to the point I agree with everyone else on this page about the Administration not caring about the present or the future of Prestonsburg athletics. What people don't understand is the best football players in the feeder systems are your best basketball and baseball players as well. If these kids leave then all programs are going to suffer. It just doesn't make any sense!

I have gotten mixed signals on the future of the current head coach as well. I agree with everything you’re saying. The last few sentences are especially true! I worry that about 6-8 football players are leaving. If they do, it’ll be detrimental to the future of the program.

I never thought I’d see a world where players leave for Betsy Layne. No offense to Betsy Layne. I just think that speaks volumes to how well the staff at BL have built a program from the ground up.
[-] The following 2 users Like BlackcatPride32's post:
  • Blackcat 4 Life, Westside
(11-06-2023, 11:24 PM)BCF4L Wrote: Maybe the coaches should focus on coaching instead of trying to call me out on social media for their ineptness to beat Floyd County programs. The school is in shambles in every sport and nobody in the administration gives two craps. We’ve let former Betsy Layne folks come in and run the school straight into the ground. The amount of respect I’ve lost for the program I once bled for is sad. The year Bricken was hired as principal was the year Prestonsburg went into a tailspin that will never be fixed.

Prestonsburg had as much talent at skill positions as they’ve had in years yet we had 4 plays in the playbook. Coaches today have no clue how to build a program around their players but instead try and force their style onto each and every roster they acquire. It doesn’t work that way and never will. If you have a team full of speed yet lack size and want to play smash mouth football, you’re going to end up with a team full of injuries and losses. I don’t know crap about the ins and outs of football but I’ve got enough sense to know that whatever this staff thought they were doing with this team this year, it was the complete opposite of what needed to happen. Time for wholesale changes or else you’re going to watch what’s left in our middle and grade schools go elsewhere. Not that the current administration cares.

Prestonsburg is very lucky to have Coach Brandon Brewer, the dude is a football Coach, Prestonsburg also has a great administration. The problem at Prestonsburg is the parents, they are so entitled, kids don’t want to transfer in there because they now they will be pushed down the list for less talented kids. My child is very good at a sport and we live close enough where he can go to Prestonsburg but we won’t send him because we did with our oldest and got burnt. The administration isn’t the issue, it’s the parents that think it’s a seniority issue instead of a you put in the work issue. Brewer deserves another year, a year he will finally have some talent coming up to go with some good players already on the roster.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Truth Teller's post:
  • Colonel4Life1999