Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Erik Perry Steps Down After Five Seasons As Harlan Independent Head Football Coach
what a great man and what good job he done with the football program wish him the best of luck who be frontrunner for this job
What school is this?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(11-01-2023, 03:46 PM)Spud6 Wrote: What school is this?

Harlan
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16BBall Fan's post:
  • Spud6
Harlan Independent Green Dragons
Shame, from what I heard happened with a few players, the admin, and then the last game of regular season I can't say I'm surprised. Shame couldn't get through playoffs this week.
It was reported they are gonna finish it out with Shope, who played at Harlan. I don’t think that’s a long term fix though. I can’t imagine anyone outside of Harlan would wanna come down and coach a team that had what happened last week, Max 20 players, and not a bright future. But i do not feel that the answer to being somewhat competitive is on the current staff.
(11-01-2023, 04:30 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: It was reported they are gonna finish it out with Shope, who played at Harlan. I don’t think that’s a long term fix though. I can’t imagine anyone outside of Harlan would wanna come down and coach a team that had what happened last week, Max 20 players, and not a bright future. But i do not feel that the answer to being somewhat competitive is on the current staff.

Agreed, saw too that they let middle schoolers play on a jv team this year so they had enough to let the middle schoolers play.
Its going to continue getting tougher and tougher for smaller 1A schools in rural areas where the population is dwindling to field competitive teams. I personally hate to see this happen.
[-] The following 2 users Like Grannyshot's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, Cactus Jack
Anyone going to tell us what happened with the team?
Heard that a lot of stuff happened during the week. Coach should have resigned on Tues. or Wed..
Does anyone have a true version of what happened? I've heard a million stories, but can't substantiate any of them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • The Red Eminence
Does this mean Pikeville gets a 14th bye week?
(11-01-2023, 08:02 PM)RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote: Does this mean Pikeville gets a 14th bye week?

Nope, next breather is Raceland
[-] The following 4 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Bull got out!, Fanatic42, Khalisimo, Patriot1
(11-01-2023, 08:10 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(11-01-2023, 08:02 PM)RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote: Does this mean Pikeville gets a 14th bye week?

Now that was funny Jet lol
[-] The following 2 users Like Patriot1's post:
  • Bull got out!, jetpilot
(11-01-2023, 10:06 PM)Patriot1 Wrote:
(11-01-2023, 08:10 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

Now that was funny Jet lol

He is funny!  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • jetpilot
stay with subject please
What led to this? I'm not really talking about what happened last week but long term, structurally. I only remember Harlan football from about twenty years ago or so. Haven't followed it much since.

Is there a coach who can save the program?
Harlan messed up when they petitioned KHSAA to stay in their district rather than move over one district to the Pikeville/Paintsville/Hazard district. Sure they would have tougher games in regular season but that would just prepare them for playoffs. With cross district play the first 2 rounds of the playoffs they likely could have avoided Pikeville those rounds and played their old district foes to advance. They have a better chance competing and advancing in that scenario.  Now, every year they are looking at playing Pikeville who is loaded for the next 3 years and will always be Pikeville, or Paintsville/Hazard.  Those last two are young and had tough seasons but the next few years are going to be much better.  Harlan chose poorly.  I hope they get someone to get some interest from the kids they do have enrolled and be more competitive moving forward.  Harlan, Pineville, Lynn Camp all remind me of small schools like Phelps who now has problems just getting enough kids out to have a team and unfortunately it will probably get worse with population decline in those areas.  This and consolidation is the major reason why 1A is watered down now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Belichick's post:
  • hchs fan
who the frontrunner for this job
(11-04-2023, 01:33 PM)hchs fan Wrote: who the frontrunner for this job

I’ve not heard any names yet but maybe somebody can talk them out of it.
I watched the Pikeville game and was truly sorry for the Harlan kids. You could tell they were not focused and really did not want to be there. Had 5 kids on sidelines. I agree it is getting harder for some of these schools to field a team. Maybe Phelps,Harlan,Jenkins and few others get together and form a conference with home and home matchups. None of those schools can compete with the better 1A teams but the kids could compete against schools dealing with same challenges and have competitive games. Just a suggestion though
[-] The following 1 user Likes Truewords's post:
  • jetpilot
(11-03-2023, 09:55 AM)Belichick Wrote: Harlan messed up when they petitioned KHSAA to stay in their district rather than move over one district to the Pikeville/Paintsville/Hazard district. Sure they would have tougher games in regular season but that would just prepare them for playoffs. With cross district play the first 2 rounds of the playoffs they likely could have avoided Pikeville those rounds and played their old district foes to advance. They have a better chance competing and advancing in that scenario.  Now, every year they are looking at playing Pikeville who is loaded for the next 3 years and will always be Pikeville, or Paintsville/Hazard.  Those last two are young and had tough seasons but the next few years are going to be much better.  Harlan chose poorly.  I hope they get someone to get some interest from the kids they do have enrolled and be more competitive moving forward.  Harlan, Pineville, Lynn Camp all remind me of small schools like Phelps who now has problems just getting enough kids out to have a team and unfortunately it will probably get worse with population decline in those areas.  This and consolidation is the major reason why 1A is watered down now.

The way things are now, they would finish 4th every year in that district and play Middlesboro or W-burg in the first round. I don't think that would have been better. Harlan has dominated Lynn Camp in recent years and has at least a 50-50 chance of beating Pineville. They actually led Williamsburg 14-0 at halftime this year and was within 8 against Middlesboro in the second half. They have a better chance to win in that district.
(11-04-2023, 03:46 PM)HCS Wrote:
(11-03-2023, 09:55 AM)Belichick Wrote: Harlan messed up when they petitioned KHSAA to stay in their district rather than move over one district to the Pikeville/Paintsville/Hazard district. Sure they would have tougher games in regular season but that would just prepare them for playoffs. With cross district play the first 2 rounds of the playoffs they likely could have avoided Pikeville those rounds and played their old district foes to advance. They have a better chance competing and advancing in that scenario.  Now, every year they are looking at playing Pikeville who is loaded for the next 3 years and will always be Pikeville, or Paintsville/Hazard.  Those last two are young and had tough seasons but the next few years are going to be much better.  Harlan chose poorly.  I hope they get someone to get some interest from the kids they do have enrolled and be more competitive moving forward.  Harlan, Pineville, Lynn Camp all remind me of small schools like Phelps who now has problems just getting enough kids out to have a team and unfortunately it will probably get worse with population decline in those areas.  This and consolidation is the major reason why 1A is watered down now.

The way things are now, they would finish 4th every year in that district and play Middlesboro or W-burg in the first round. I don't think that would have been better. Harlan has dominated Lynn Camp in recent years and has at least a 50-50 chance of beating Pineville. They actually led Williamsburg 14-0 at halftime this year and was within 8 against Middlesboro in the second half.  They have a better chance to win in that district.
And the reward will be to lose a first round playoff game with a running clock in the first quarter.
any news or updates on coaching job
any news or updates on coaching job
This might sound insane to some but to some people logical. Pineville and Harlan should consolidate into their county schools. They were the two smallest schools to have a team this season other than fulton county. I don’t know what harlan’s financials are, but pineville school systems are run down to nothing. I seen where on the state testing they placed 205th out of about 220. I don’t see how keeping pineville open, and harlan too, open benefits anyone except oldheads with “pride”
any front runners or names being circulated around or rumored around before the job deadline
any frontrunners or rumors on candidate for the head coach position
any front runners or annoucement or naming anybody soon
any frontrunners or rumors on candidate for the head coach position