Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RPI - Needs something else to be effective
So I guess this was a new rule this year, so if am I reading this correct if Ashland plays Raceland(1A) and Russell (3A) as their first two contests against a smaller class, they are both considered 4A victories?

"Beginning with the 2023 season, the first two contests of the year played against a team in a smaller class will not have the opponent’s class factor applied within the OWP and thus, OOWP calculation but will instead be treated as both teams being in the same class.
However, all contests played against opponents in a higher class will have the class factor applied to the more highly classified opponent.
With this new provision for two play-downs, when calculating OWP and OOWP in football, there are no “Playing Down” exemptions."

Regardless, a few states use RPI with the same results, as long as WP is the same value as OWP, wins will always take prevalence over SOS. Here in Lexington, RPI favors teams like Sayre, and punishes teams like Lex Cath, who have played a gauntlet schedule and are 9th in 3A RPI...give me a break.  I suppose it's like the opposite our an American economy, RPI is for the middle man HA!.
I like the RPI better than the old system. I don't think the KHSAA will use Calpreps because they're too stubborn. If we're going to keep the RPI, then play the semis at a neutral site to make travel easier for the teams. Play Classes A-3A at Georgetown College and 4A-6A at EKU. Keep the title games at Kroger.

The only other option is to weight teams based on their results the past two years (since most contracts are 2-year deals). An upper class team should earn more points playing and beating a Beechwood, LCA, Raceland or Pikeville versus a Berea, Ballard Memorial, Pike Central, etc.
(10-30-2023, 11:31 AM)Hatz Wrote: Looking at the quote from above:

No one wants to watch a 3rd round state championship game. The point is to try to watch the 2 best teams play for it all in commonwealth.

This year I agree.  But in the last 3 years, can anyone say there as a "real state title game" in an earlier round than what we had in Lexington?  I think in Class 4A, the best teams got to the title game each of those years and played for the title.
You could go back to 2019.  Belfry vs DeSales at DeSales was essentially the championship game.  Two best teams by far in 3A that year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes OutlawJoseyWales's post:
  • Hatz
(10-30-2023, 11:53 AM)Jack Lambert Wrote: Cal-preps is the way to go, cantrell’s a joke!

Calpreps does a really good job, especially as the season ages.  Ridiculous that the KHSAA goes with something far inferior.

No one wants to watch a 3rd round state championship game. The point is to try to watch the 2 best teams play for it all in commonwealth.

This year I agree.  But in the last 3 years, can anyone say there as a "real state title game" in an earlier round than what we had in Lexington?  I think in Class 4A, the best teams got to the title game each of those years and played for the title.

Yea I think there are 2 separate issues for me. 1 is the watching the 2 best teams play in the 2nd or 3rd round for whatever reason.  I remember last year PT should have beat CAL in the 3rd round in what turned out to be the best game the closest game they were involved in all year.  The other thing for me is that the current system does not reward the better team in the playoff seeding.  If I'm Rock and have to travel to Bell in the 3rd game of the playoffs then I would be pissed.  Same thing if I'm Raceland and have to travel to Paris.  Not only did they earn home field advantage by winning head to head but they also lose out on a lot of money. I also don't understand why RPI wouldn't be used to determine home team throughout the playoffs.  KCD is going to have to travel to a lesser opponent weak 2 because they played in a harder district.  How's that fair? I mean if we trust it enough to create the fairest matchups from weak 3 and on, then why not trust it to provide Home Field advantage throughout?
(11-01-2023, 03:56 PM)HSFOOTBALL Wrote:

Yea I think there are 2 separate issues for me. 1 is the watching the 2 best teams play in the 2nd or 3rd round for whatever reason.  I remember last year PT should have beat CAL in the 3rd round in what turned out to be the best game the closest game they were involved in all year.  The other thing for me is that the current system does not reward the better team in the playoff seeding.  If I'm Rock and have to travel to Bell in the 3rd game of the playoffs then I would be pissed.  Same thing if I'm Raceland and have to travel to Paris.  Not only did they earn home field advantage by winning head to head but they also lose out on a lot of money. I also don't understand why RPI wouldn't be used to determine home team throughout the playoffs.  KCD is going to have to travel to a lesser opponent weak 2 because they played in a harder district.  How's that fair? I mean if we trust it enough to create the fairest matchups from weak 3 and on, then why not trust it to provide Home Field advantage throughout?

Caverna, could very well lose to Bethlehem in the 1st Rd, and if KCD beats Fulton, then KCD would take the top spot in the bracket as the higher seed.  Take Caverna out of it, I would say KCD would rather play as the visiting team in the second round, if it meant getting a home Region Final game against the #1 seed due to having a higher RPI, I think teams would take that all day.  Its part of 

Unless a school has booming concession, all gate proceeds are split between the two teams playing after paying for expenses, and dependent on the round(later), reimbursement of travel is also added into it. 

People will say use Calpreps, but Calpreps shows a "bias" with pre season rankings, whereas KHSAA, and other High School Athletic Associations can't show "bias" at the beginning of a season and every team starts at 0, it's why they have to use RPI.  KY uses the class Multiplier, where North Carolina and Utah don't.  There percentages are also different, but at the end of the day there is no in between for 1A RPI as they can't get the "play down" exemption, but if they play up and lose it's counted against them.