Poll: Who Wins
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Ashland Blazer
57.58%
Johnson Central
42.42%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ashland Blazer at Johnson Central 10/20
Ashland Blazer (8-0)
Aug 18, 23 Raceland home (W) 28 - 21
Aug 26, 23 West Jessamine home (W) 56 - 13 
Sep 1, 23 George Washington (Charleston), WV away (W) 42 - 21
Sep 8, 23 Bardstown away (W) 45 - 24 
Sep 15, 23 Russell away (W) 47 - 10
Sep 22, 23 Greenup County home (W) 63 - 7 
Sep 29, 23 Rowan County home (W) 48 - 0
Oct 6, 23 Boyd County away (W) 43 - 15

Johnson Central (6-3)
Aug 18, 23 Madison Central home (W) 28 - 21 Hutch Bowl 
Aug 26, 23 Pikeville away (L) 14 - 21 Pike County Bowl 
Sep 1, 23 Belfry away (L) 20 - 48 ARH Bowl 
Sep 8, 23 Breathitt County home (W) 41 - 0
Sep 15, 23 Dohn Community (Cincinnati), OH away (W) 34 - 6
Sep 22, 23 Boyd County home (W) 53 - 14 
Sep 29, 23 Corbin away (L) 6 - 34 
Oct 5, 23 Rowan County away (W) 43 - 8 
Oct 13, 23 Greenup County away (W) 33 - 13 

Recent History
Sep 11, 1998 Ashland Blazer 26 Johnson Central 20
Aug 17, 2001 Ashland Blazer 38 Johnson Central 14
Aug 24, 2002 Ashland Blazer 43 Johnson Central 0
Oct 21, 2005 Ashland Blazer 13 Johnson Central 10
Oct 20, 2006 Johnson Central 35 Ashland Blazer 7
Nov 10, 2006 Johnson Central 28 Ashland Blazer 21 2006 Class AAA Football State Tournament
Oct 26, 2007 Johnson Central 67 Ashland Blazer 33
Oct 31, 2008 Johnson Central 41 Ashland Blazer 6
Oct 9, 2009 Johnson Central 29 Ashland Blazer 28
Oct 8, 2010 Johnson Central 42 Ashland Blazer 26
Oct 21, 2011 Ashland Blazer 22 Johnson Central 6
Oct 19, 2012 Johnson Central 22 Ashland Blazer 21 (overtime)
Oct 25, 2013 Johnson Central 42 Ashland Blazer 7
Oct 24, 2014 Johnson Central 42 Ashland Blazer 7
Oct 23, 2015 Johnson Central 8 Ashland Blazer 7
Oct 21, 2016 Johnson Central 43 Ashland Blazer 6
Nov 18, 2016 Johnson Central 51 Ashland Blazer 0 2016 Class 4A Russell Athletic/KHSAA Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl
Oct 20, 2017 Ashland Blazer 21 Johnson Central 18
Nov 17, 2017 Johnson Central 54 Ashland Blazer 27 2017 Class 4A Russell Athletic/KHSAA Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl
Oct 19, 2018 Johnson Central 47 Ashland Blazer 24
Nov 16, 2018 Johnson Central 50 Ashland Blazer 14 2018 Class 4A KHSAA Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/k...477a513d3d
It’s hard to believe it’s been 5 years ago since the last time this game was played!
Smile Game of the week..
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • Patriot1
Should be a great game. I think Ashland wins by 7 if they don't have any major miscues.
Ashland’s bye week came at the perfect time. They get extra time to heal up and to prepare for an offense they haven’t seen in awhile. Tomcats team speed and playmakers all over the field if they play a clean game should be enough to get them a win. Johnson Central won’t be easy never is and they are more then capable of grinding out a W if Ashland thinks it’s going to be a cakewalk. If you like intense hard hitting football you’re getting one this Friday.
The question is who’s brand of football wins out, speed vs power. Should be a dandy
I believe Ashland wins but pulling hard for JC
Sounds like a it’s going to be a close game, no disrespect to JC but I’m pulling for Ashland if Boyle plays Corbin I want it to be for a State Championship not a regional championship!
It’s too bad Ashland moved up this year. Had they stayed in 3A they would have been a favorite to go to Kroger.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • i82much
Biggest thing for JC is whether Logan Music is healthy enough to play. He sat out the majority of the Corbin game as well as the last two weeks. If he isn’t playing it really hurts the Golden Eagles. They have a deep running back room but it’s hard to lose #1 and #2 and not miss a beat.
(10-16-2023, 04:24 PM)Mr. D Wrote: Biggest thing for JC is whether Logan Music is healthy enough to play. He sat out the majority of the Corbin game as well as the last two weeks. If he isn’t playing it really hurts the Golden Eagles. They have a deep running back room but it’s hard to lose #1 and #2 and not miss a beat.
Is Music the 2 back? They also have Conley who was the starter last year. Both of them seem injury proned. Music does play both ways so I’m sure that has something to do with it. The Barnes kid seems to be the most consistent back.
My heart says JC by 6 but my better thinking say Ashland by 7 to 14. Just too many misfortunes for my Eagles as of late. However I wouldn't be stunned if JC won this one.
(10-16-2023, 03:31 PM)Jack Lambert Wrote: Sounds like a it’s going to be a close game, no disrespect to JC but I’m pulling for Ashland if Boyle plays Corbin I want it to be for a State Championship not a regional championship!

I definitely understand(and I kinda, sorta agree) with what you're saying, Jack,  but wouldn't you rather the game be at Danville instead of Lexington? I mean, if I had a chance to choose I think I'd rather watch the game from Campbell Field rather than Kroger Field.
(10-16-2023, 08:22 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(10-16-2023, 03:31 PM)Jack Lambert Wrote: Sounds like a it’s going to be a close game, no disrespect to JC but I’m pulling for Ashland if Boyle plays Corbin I want it to be for a State Championship not a regional championship!

I definitely understand(and I kinda, sorta agree) with what you're saying, Jack,  but wouldn't you rather the game be at Danville instead of Lexington? I mean, if I had a chance to choose I think I'd rather watch the game from Campbell Field rather than Kroger Field.
The way I would look at it is.....If we was to lose, I would rather it be because the other team was just better on a neutral site and not because it was a road game in a hostile environment.  

Personally I feel after the first 2 rounds all games should be at a neutral site.  Like the East at EKU.  Can you imagine the crowd at a Boyle - Corbin - Cov Cath - Ashland or Johnson Central 3rd. round? 

I'm not spoiled we have 11 Titles and 3 straight.  I know eventually someone will knock us off.  If the other team was better that night I can live with that.  No one can win them ALL!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rebel55's post:
  • Bull got out!
Neutral sites not 10% of the atmosphere of home sites
Or half the people
Horrible idea
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Fanatic42, Westside
Not buying JC.

Ashland 38
JC 14
Ashland may very well win this one but it won't be a cake walk.I personally do not think the Tomcats have been hit as hard all year as they're about to be. If they can handle the trenches they win, but that remains to be seen. GO EAGLES!!
(10-18-2023, 08:25 AM)Woodshed Wrote: Ashland may very well win this one but it won't be a cake walk.I personally do not think the Tomcats have been hit as hard all year as they're about to be. If they can handle the trenches they win, but that remains to be seen. GO EAGLES!!

I agree, the team that adjusts to the others strength most quickly will win this one. Ashland has to deal with JC's physicality and JC has to deal with Ashland's speed (And I'm not implying that JC is slow or Ashland is not physical, just referencing each teams perceived strength).  If I were JC I would continue to ground and pound and make sure to "milk" the play clock on every down. Ashland wants a track meet, if it goes that way JC's chances diminish. Ashland has been prone to picking up penalties when things get intense. They have to remain disciplined and let the game come to them. As a Tomcat fan this game makes me nervous, especially being on the road. I would take a one point win in a heartbeat. I think this game is a "coin toss" but a blowout by either team wouldn't surprise me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes i82much's post:
  • Woodshed
(10-16-2023, 09:06 PM)Rebel55 Wrote:

The way I would look at it is.....If we was to lose, I would rather it be because the other team was just better on a neutral site and not because it was a road game in a hostile environment.  

Personally I feel after the first 2 rounds all games should be at a neutral site.  Like the East at EKU.  Can you imagine the crowd at a Boyle - Corbin - Cov Cath - Ashland or Johnson Central 3rd. round? 

I'm not spoiled we have 11 Titles and 3 straight.  I know eventually someone will knock us off.  If the other team was better that night I can live with that.  No one can win them ALL!

Good post !  The neutral site idea for rounds three and four is a thought but I wonder if that would create logistical issues. How hard(or easy)would that be to do? Where would the neutral site games be held? All in the same place or different locations? Also, would the atmosphere and excitement be the same at some neutral site? I mean, when Corbin and Mayfield had their series of matchups at Lindsey Wilson, it just didn't seem to have the same energy or excitement as if it had been at Campbell Field or at Mayfield.

I've seen JC in person. They are a tough bunch. They gave Corbin their best shot. They've just had so many injuries to key personnel. I expect them to win this game at home, though.
Jc hasn’t looked very physical this year. Honestly they don’t have a kid on the team that I watch and say man that kid likes to hit. Just the opposite. They have a few kids that when they start getting hit they will go out like clock work. I don’t mean anything negative toward the kids. But it’s very u like JC to have any kid like that as well as kids on both side of the ball. If JC will come out and lay the hits like they used to they will wear Ashland down. If they don’t they will get behind early and not be able to come back.
(10-18-2023, 09:31 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(10-16-2023, 09:06 PM)Rebel55 Wrote:

Good post !  The neutral site idea for rounds three and four is a thought but I wonder if that would create logistical issues. How hard(or easy)would that be to do? Where would the neutral site games be held? All in the same place or different locations? Also, would the atmosphere and excitement be the same at some neutral site? I mean, when Corbin and Mayfield had their series of matchups at Lindsey Wilson, it just didn't seem to have the same energy or excitement as if it had been at Campbell Field or at Mayfield.

I've seen JC in person. They are a tough bunch. They gave Corbin their best shot. They've just had so many injuries to key personnel. I expect them to win this game at home, though.
Ohio does neutral sites in the later rounds.  The sites used are at high schools that are within the halfway mark of the two schools playing.  I believe one of the requirements to host is to have a turf field and the OHSAA takes the gate and the host school keeps concessions.  I personally don’t like it because it takes away the magic of winning a playoff game in front of your home crowd and it seems like it would be a headache to host a game that your school isn’t involved in.
(10-18-2023, 10:06 AM)Upnorth Wrote: Jc hasn’t looked very physical this year. Honestly they don’t have a kid on the team that I watch and say man that kid likes to hit. Just the opposite.  They have a few kids that when they start getting hit they will go out like clock work. I don’t mean anything negative toward the kids. But it’s very u like JC to have any kid like that as well as kids on both side of the ball. If JC will come out and lay the hits like they used to they will wear Ashland down. If they don’t they will get behind early and not be able to come back.
This is why Ashland will come out of Paintsville with a win on Friday night. We are more physical than Johnson Central. If you were at the Greenup County game last Friday night it was a plain as day this is a different Johnson Central team than we all are use to. I’ve never seen so many kids from JC limping off the field after
a play and it happened throughout the game. Greenup just ran out of gas or they would’ve came out on top.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tomcat Pride's post:
  • Nations Elite
I think Ashland probably has the upper hand but am rooting for and voted for Johnson Central.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Corbin's post:
  • jetpilot
(10-18-2023, 01:03 PM)Corbin Wrote: I think Ashland probably has the upper hand but am rooting for and voted for Johnson Central.

same
(10-16-2023, 07:43 PM)Upnorth Wrote:
(10-16-2023, 04:24 PM)Mr. D Wrote: Biggest thing for JC is whether Logan Music is healthy enough to play. He sat out the majority of the Corbin game as well as the last two weeks. If he isn’t playing it really hurts the Golden Eagles. They have a deep running back room but it’s hard to lose #1 and #2 and not miss a beat.
Is Music the 2 back? They also have Conley who was the starter last year. Both of them seem injury proned. Music does play both ways so I’m sure that has something to do with it. The Barnes kid seems to be the most consistent back.

To me the order was McCoart, Music, Conley and then Barnes. Conley was fantastic before his injury last year and he is still a tough, tough runner but I think he has lost some of his explosiveness. Much like Mason Lawson last year Conley can get 6-10 yards about every carry but the injury took away some of the big play ability. Getting Music 100% healthy is really important because he can break a long one anytime he gets the ball.
Can’t believe I’m saying this outside of an opponent not in the mountains…. Let’s go JC!!! I think JC can put some points up! I’m hoping they can keep the other teams points off! I liked what I saw in JC a few weeks ago. I’m trying to wrap my mind around some of their losses. They had to have some other things happen outside of injuries, that or they played very well against Corbin.
^^^Not hard to wrap your head around Pikeville and Belfry being good football teams playing JC at home w/JC having the injury bug...
(10-18-2023, 09:27 PM)Hound05 Wrote: Can’t believe I’m saying this outside of an opponent not in the mountains…. Let’s go JC!!! I think JC can put some points up! I’m hoping they can keep the other teams points off!  I liked what I saw in JC a few weeks ago. I’m trying to wrap my mind around some of their losses. They had to have some other things happen outside of injuries, that or they played very well against Corbin.
Totally different defense against Corbin. They had the right players in the right positions and on the field. For whatever reason they went back to the other personal against greenup and well didn’t look great. Maybe they were trying to keep Ashland confused since they were there watching.
Seems like Ashland wins one out of about every 5 or 6 years so it maybe their year to get JC.
This game will be won in the trenches most games are no doubt. I told everyone before the season started that Ashlands lineman won the Boyd County lineman challenge with most of the area schools competing. That doesn’t happen often. Tomcats returned 4 of 5 starters with a 6th kid who due to injury started games also so they basically have all 5 starters back this year. Weather probably going to be a factor as I believe rain is forecast. Tomcats need to get the ball in their playmakers hands especially Houston. Kid is a D1 WR that most no one has heard of outside of the tri-state area. He should command double coverage on every play as he can’t get behind anyone trying to cover him. Ashland has a lot of skill kids that are interchangeable. Multiple players will line up at TB on one play WR the next. Ashland hasn’t played JC lately but most of these kids were on the team that dominated Belfry last season, they know what’s coming from JC’s offense. Coach Tackett is an excellent HC and ex DC, he knows how to slow down JC’s offense, it’s up to the kids to play assignment football make plays and execute the game plan. Tomcats by a couple scores.