6 McAlarnis- Perry
7 Couch- Letcher 
8 Neace- Perry
9 Long- Estill
10 Napier- Leslie
I’d change the 1 and 2.

1. Gayheart - Knott
2. Couch - Letcher

They win. I do think that is good group listed. I think Fronaple from Hazard will be on there by mid season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Diablo's post:
  • DaBulls
I admit I am a fan and biased but imo Carly Smith of Owsley is the best player in the region. She had 32 in the 4 point loss to Letcher in last year’s region, a game that saw Letcher get the first foul whistled on them 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter!
And in the two games with Powell last season she outscored Caudill 44-28. But I like Caudill. She is a very good guard. However, Smith brings more to the table than just scoring. She’s a floor general and ends up with quite a few assists every game. And she’s a good defender. Just an all around great player that has been starting on the varsity since 8th grade. Tons of experience.
(10-04-2023, 08:38 AM)Diablo Wrote: I’d change the 1 and 2.

1.  Gayheart - Knott
2.  Couch - Letcher

They win.  I do think that is good group listed.  I think Fronaple from Hazard will be on there by mid season.
I would agree.  The bottom line is that those two girls may very well be the winningest two players in the history of 14th region girls basketball.   They play very tough completion and yes they have had more help than a few others on this list but that also means they have not gotten to take the vast majority of the shots on their teams ,and they have still put up great numbers and between them they have the last 7 regional titles as starters if i remember right.   So in my opinion every list should start with those two.   After them you have to put Smith at 3rd.     Yes she did have 32 in that game mentioned but Couch had 27 on a sprained ankle and won the game.    Thats JMO.    All the players listed are great players and deserve the accolades they receive but if you want to start ranking players i have to agree with Diablo. 

As far as team rankings its KCC and LCC 1 & 2 for me until someone beats them.
(10-05-2023, 11:02 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: I admit I am a fan and biased but imo Carly Smith of Owsley is the best player in the region. She had 32 in the 4 point loss to Letcher in last year’s region, a game that saw Letcher get the first foul whistled on them 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter!
And in the two games with Powell last season she outscored Caudill 44-28. But I like Caudill. She is a very good guard. However, Smith brings more to the table than just scoring. She’s a floor general and ends up with quite a few assists every game. And she’s a good defender. Just an all around great player that has been starting on the varsity since 8th grade. Tons of experience.
They both have their own strengths and weaknesses. Smith has much more help. I’m sure that when Caudill played Owsley in those games she was guarded by all 5 Owsley players at times. Smith don’t see the doubles n sometimes triples that Caudill sees. I like both players. There no question that is the 2 best players in the region.
(10-05-2023, 04:30 PM)Wincity Wrote:
(10-05-2023, 11:02 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: I admit I am a fan and biased but imo Carly Smith of Owsley is the best player in the region. She had 32 in the 4 point loss to Letcher in last year’s region, a game that saw Letcher get the first foul whistled on them 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter!
They both have their own strengths and weaknesses. Smith has much more help. I’m sure that when Caudill played Owsley in those games she was guarded by all 5 Owsley players at times. Smith don’t see the doubles n sometimes triples that Caudill sees. I like both players. There no question that is the 2 best players in the region.
You make some good points. I’ve always liked the hustle and the way Caudill plays. She demands 100% attention at all times  by the defense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LOOKAYANNER's post:
  • Wincity
Smith
Couch
Gayheart
Caudill
Neace
[-] The following 1 user Likes HCS's post:
  • LOOKAYANNER
(10-19-2023, 09:54 PM)HCS Wrote: Smith
Couch
Gayheart
Caudill
Neace
Is this the Catspause ratings? 
I agree with Smith at the top and Owsley has another guard that could very easily be top 5 in sophomore Addison “Addie” Terry. She’s definitely top 10.

Owlsey has a very strong and big team. I believe that is why Smith scores so much. They rebound and defend well. This allows Smith to get easy run outs. When the ball is past her up top, she pretty much waits at half court for her teammates to rebound or steal the ball. Then easy layups. Smith is a great player, but she gets a lot of easy points because of this. That is my opinion from what I have seen. Caudill has to beat 2/3 defenders every play to score.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BaseballPirate's post:
  • Wincity
(10-21-2023, 01:30 PM)BaseballPirate Wrote:

Owlsey has a very strong and big team. I believe that is why Smith scores so much. They rebound and defend well. This allows Smith to get easy run outs. When the ball is past her up top, she pretty much waits at half court for her teammates to rebound or steal the ball. Then easy layups. Smith is a great player, but she gets a lot of easy points because of this. That is my opinion from what I have seen. Caudill has to beat 2/3 defenders every play to score.
Smith drives to the basket and scores in half court offense often too. She’s definitely not a one dimensional player.

I tried to edit and it wouldn’t let me that Smith also made 55 treys last year and 144 free throws at 87%.
I want to clarify something though. I have always given Caudill high praise and respect. I noticed her as a freshman and commented to whoever was with me that she was going to be a very good guard. Her quickness in running the floor and getting to the basket even stood out at that young age. Now she is a senior and seasoned player. I know when Owsley plays Powell she is priority #1 with the coaches in their defensive preparation.
Smith and Caudill demands a lot of attention whoever they are playing against. Both players are very good in their own system. Caudill is playing against 5 about every game. She is ask to do more for her team than any player in region. Smith plays within the system. She is very good at about everything. In my opinion they are definitely the 2 best players in the region.
I think Neace, McAlarnis, Couch, and Gayheart are all better than Caudill and Smith. Just my opinion. They play both ends of the floor.
(10-23-2023, 06:45 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: I think Neace, McAlarnis, Couch, and Gayheart are all better than Caudill and Smith.  Just my opinion.  They play both ends of the floor.
I respectfully disagree with you DukeBoy,but that’s what discussion boards are about, giving one’s opinions. Smith is one of the best offensive and defensive players in the region imo. She’s an all around player in every statistic. Everyone knows about her shooting and scoring skills but her ball handling and assists are something that goes unnoticed by many. She also racks up quite a few steals every game. I can’t think of a guard in the region I would choose over her. Everyone you listed are good in certain areas but Smith has the complete game.
She’s also good at MMA especially Ju Jitsu. Lol. Smith is really good, I agree but does she hit the boards and play below the free throw line on defense? Those other mentioned all hit the boards and are very undersized beside Keira Couch. But maybe she isn’t supposed to since they have Brown in the paint. Idk. Not knocking the kid, she can play.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DukeBoy's post:
  • LOOKAYANNER
(10-24-2023, 09:12 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: She’s also good at MMA especially Ju Jitsu.  Lol.  Smith is really good, I agree but does she hit the boards and play below the free throw line on defense?  Those other mentioned all hit the boards and are very undersized beside Keira Couch.  But maybe she isn’t supposed to since they have Brown in the paint.  Idk.  Not knocking the kid, she can play.
None of those girls rebounds like Caudill
[Image:

]
Ole Fatpat gotz a feeling lookayawn,losercity,and pirate all the same lil feller baby!Let ole FP break this muthas down Fatpat style!Kittypause about as confused as the triplets brutha!Gayheart is the mojo of the 14th plain and simple and throw in Polly and Bentley and short bus equals taters for everybody!Shake and bake brutha!Same engineer is driving the bus boi!Called JT and said where is Owsley brutha cause cant find em on the ole mappy!Huff said big guy wez having roasted owl all season baby!Shaba!Ladypats be rocking to the free world boi!  #hootyhoot  #roadkill  #timetorise  More mash taters please!!!
Caudill rebounding?????? The one from Powell? She’s l like an Allegiant Jet as soon as shot goes up while she’s on defense. Run out City. Now Hanna Caudill from Hazard can board.
(10-24-2023, 10:09 AM)fatpatfan Wrote: [Image:

]
Ole Fatpat gotz a feeling lookayawn,losercity,and pirate all the same lil feller baby!Let ole FP break this muthas down Fatpat style!Kittypause about as confused as the triplets brutha!Gayheart is the mojo of the 14th plain and simple and throw in Polly and Bentley and short bus equals taters for everybody!Shake and bake brutha!Same engineer is driving the bus boi!Called JT and said where is Owsley brutha cause cant find em on the ole mappy!Huff said big guy wez having roasted owl all season baby!Shaba!Ladypats be rocking to the free world boi!  #hootyhoot  #roadkill  #timetorise  More mash taters please!!!
FatBack, you do realize that since Travis Smith has been coach at Owsley he is 5-4 vs Knott. Knocked them out of the All A twice and the KHSAA region once. I know that’s past 5 years and this is a new year but I don’t think Knott’s going to be roasting any Owls this year, lol. However, I don’t believe they play in the regular season, so it will be in post season before they have a chance to meet.
(10-24-2023, 01:28 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Caudill rebounding??????  The one from Powell?  She’s l like an Allegiant Jet as soon as shot goes up while she’s on defense.  Run out City.  Now Hanna Caudill from Hazard can board.
That shows me you have no idea about what you’re talking about. She averages 9.6 rebounds a game. How many PG in the state of ky average that? Come on Dukeboy you can do better than that
Sorry I should looked at KHSAA stats. She’s a speedster, figured she got out on the break more. Fastest kid in the Region.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DukeBoy's post:
  • Wincity
(10-24-2023, 04:28 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Sorry I should looked at KHSAA stats.  She’s a speedster, figured she got out on the break more.  Fastest kid in the Region.
Shes one of best rebounders in state as a PG. not to mention the steals she gets a game
[-] The following 1 user Likes Wincity's post:
  • LOOKAYANNER