Poll: McLean County or Webster County - who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
McLean County
60.00%
Webster County
40.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Webster Co @ McLean Co 10/05
A home playoff game could very well be on the line when Webster County travels across the county line to take on the neighboring McLean County Cougars.  Both teams are sitting at 5-2 overall with a 2-1 district record.

McLean has won 12 of the last 13 games played against Webster but this is not the Webster of the last 10 years.  Currently, Webster's offense is averaging 41.3 ppg which ranks 4th in the state for Class 3A.  Comparatively, McLean's offense is averaging  32.3 ppg.  McLean is coming off a thrilling 1-pt come from behind victory last week over Hopkins Central.  Webster, is coming off of a 1-pt heartbreaking loss to a tough Hancock County team.  

Both teams are run a similar run heavy offense, the question is which defense will figure it out first?  Can McLean shut down the high scoring Trojans or will the Trojans out run the Cougar defense?

McLean County
Ohio County home (W) 46 - 14
Muhlenberg County home (W) 48 - 0
Grayson County away (L) 8 - 27
Hancock County away (W) 20 - 18
Todd County Central home (W) 46 - 28
Union County away (L) 30 - 42
Hopkins County Central away (W) 28 - 27

Webster County
Crittenden County home (L) 8 - 31
Butler County away (W) 55 - 28
Todd County Central away (W) 47 - 28
Ballard Memorial home (W) 41 - 0
Trigg County home (W) 64 - 42
Hopkins County Central home (W) 35 - 28
Hancock County home (L) 39 - 40
[-] The following 1 user Likes #GoCougs's post:
  • Bull got out!
I'll take the Cougs in a close one because they are playing at home. I hate it that McLean and Hancock chose to play up. Geographically it makes more sense to play 2A for both school. I would assume their biggest gate of the year is the OCath game. Same with Hancock Co. McLean and Hancock are great venues to play at and I hate not playing them. I can see both of them coming back to 2A when the KHSAA realigns next year. What are your thoughts Cougs?
Hearing this is the KSR game of the week!
(10-02-2023, 04:52 PM)Ace in the Hole Wrote: I'll take the Cougs in a close one because they are playing at home. I hate it that McLean and Hancock chose to play up. Geographically it makes more sense to play 2A for both school. I would assume their biggest gate of the year is the OCath game. Same with Hancock Co. McLean and Hancock are great venues to play at and I hate not playing them. I can see both of them coming back to 2A when the KHSAA realigns next year. What are your thoughts Cougs?

Yeah, I don't have any insight or knowledge as to the reasoning of playing up. To be honest, I think geographically its about the same for McLean as it was the previous years in 2A. I do think geographically for Hancock, 2A District 2 made more sense. Honestly, I like the change for McLean. Mainly just because as a fan, I like getting the opportunity to see us play teams we don't normally get to play against. Since Hancock came too, really the only difference to the MC schedule was losing OCath, because Butler County was moving to 3A regardless. They basically swapped OCath for Union Co - which historically we've not had much success against either of those teams!

Ultimately, I have no idea what they'll do it the next re-alignment. I can see positives to both. I think McLean can be competitive in either. Realistically, I think 3A maybe provides the more competitive path for MC right now. I think district-wise its about the same because they've got Union Co now which has been the dominant team in that district for a few years now - like OCath in 2A. I think the real thing that makes 3A a little more competitive for McLean is the cross-district play in the post-season. To say its a tough road to go through OCath & Mayfield both is an understatement, especially this year, when both teams are serious state champion contenders. That's not to say having Franklin-Simpson, Hart Co, Glasgow, and Adair as a cross-district is an easy road because all 4 of those teams are going to be a tough challenge too!
I didn't realize this was a Thursday night game. Might be worth driving to McLean Co to watch the Cougars take on Trojans. And BTW this is the Kroger KSR game of the week, Thursday edition. Should be a much better game than Muhlenberg. Good luck to the Cougars!!!
McLean fan base has been vocal wanting in rankings. Two very even teams.

JUST WIN!

Webster Co. 35
McLean Co. 34 OT
Final Score 30 to 16 McLean County with the big district win. Good, tough game in the rain by both teams.