Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alex legion considering returning?
Football Frenzy Wrote:Billy Gillispie had this to say in his pre-Indiana game press conference......Courtesy of ukathletics.com

On the Alex Legion situation...
"Well, he's not with the team. I think our guys have done a fantastic job, by not letting that be a distraction for them. They've been really focused in practice and done a fantastic job. We're getting ready to go and play Indiana which will be a huge task for us. I don't know about all of the reports. I don't know exactly what has been reported. We talked today for the first time. I'd heard we'd been in discussions all week and we'd been sending guys to convince him to stay. Alex is a good person and he has the ability and opportunity to be a good player at some point. While he was with us, he did a good job for us. But when a player chooses to do something different, we understand that. We hate to lose anyone. But when they make that decision, we move on. I talked to Alex today and he wants to be back on the team. That's the first time I've spoken to him. We wished him well. I love him as a person. I think he is a great young person. But it has not been a distraction for us and it will not be a distraction for us. Alex asked me last night if I could meet with him this morning. We met for a little bit. Alex is still not with the team."

Hopefully Billy G doesn't let him back on the team...I think it's over minutes. I don't care what mama Legion says.
FBALL Wrote:For you guys that don't think Porter is a division 1 athlete just stop and think. You don't get recruited by USC in football and UK in basketball if you have no talent.

I think some people need to think about just how good of athletes these kids are. Fact is there is probably nobody on this site that could hold Porter's jock. Or any that know as much about basketball as coach Gillispie. Yet there they are to criticize at every little bump in the road. Remember they are rebuilding from the ground up.

He plays good defense, he is trying to run the most difficult position in a new offense and he does everything his coach asks of him. Its pretty simple as to why he plays.

No one on here claims to be able to take on Porter (which I'm pretty sure some actually could), but maybe you didn't watch the Indiana game, or any other game he's played in. Porter plays his heart out, but he is NOT UK material. He's NAIA at best. His defense is weak (several sloppy reaching fouls against IU), he can't handle pressure (see every game this season), he can't shoot, and he isn't strong enough to defend some of the better guards around the nation. Does he do everything Billy Clyde asks of him? I'm sure he doesn't tell him to get in there and see how many turnovers he can commit, how many lay-ups he can blow (which was quite embarassing against IU to say the least), or to see how many points he can give up. While he is a determined kid who plays his heart out, it will only get you so far, then you have to have the talent to back it up. So far, I've not seen that talent and plain and simple Porter just doesn't get the job done. But to his credit, no one else isn't either.
bevinsville_bomber Wrote:No one on here claims to be able to take on Porter (which I'm pretty sure some actually could), but maybe you didn't watch the Indiana game, or any other game he's played in. Porter plays his heart out, but he is NOT UK material. He's NAIA at best. His defense is weak (several sloppy reaching fouls against IU), he can't handle pressure (see every game this season), he can't shoot, and he isn't strong enough to defend some of the better guards around the nation. Does he do everything Billy Clyde asks of him? I'm sure he doesn't tell him to get in there and see how many turnovers he can commit, how many lay-ups he can blow (which was quite embarassing against IU to say the least), or to see how many points he can give up. While he is a determined kid who plays his heart out, it will only get you so far, then you have to have the talent to back it up. So far, I've not seen that talent and plain and simple Porter just doesn't get the job done. But to his credit, no one else isn't either.
You know I put this post on the wrong thread and considered deleting it. I'm gald I didn't. I still very much doubt anybody on here could "take him on". And as far as strength, he is plenty strong enough.

I didn't get to watch the UK/IU game. Had to listen to it at work. I think I'm glad about that now.

Now what I have notice is that he does not seem to have good basketball instincts. He gets caught out of position on defense there for the reaching and to me it seems as though he is trying to force to much on offensive end. But as you put in your last sentence. Almost everyone else on the team seems to be in the same boat.
I still can't understand why Porter would rather come to UK and play basketball, over going to USC and play football. Stupid if you ask me.
Marc Maggard's (UK Insider) sources are telling him that Legion may be off the team for good now. Be interesting to see how it turns out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:Marc Maggard's (UK Insider) sources are telling him that Legion may be off the team for good now. Be interesting to see how it turns out.
I hope that is the case.
FBALL Wrote:Now what I have notice is that he does not seem to have good basketball instincts. He gets caught out of position on defense there for the reaching and to me it seems as though he is trying to force to much on offensive end. But as you put in your last sentence. Almost everyone else on the team seems to be in the same boat.
I heard that Billy Gillispie has been forced to play people who have not earned the chance to play because of Meeks' and Jasper's injuries. He's doing the best with what he has.
True
Very true.