Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alex Legion decides to transfer
Don't let the door hit ya on the way out...see ya !!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Billy G may be a young Bobby Knight.
I said in when he was hired and everyone was on the bandwagon saying he was the savior, you gotta hold your horses...

He's not a savior, he's not an amazing coach... he's a solid coach who has done a nice job rebuilding poor programs.... this is a different animal, and he is figuring that out now.... it's premature to say he's going to be a failure, but it wouldn't be a stretch to say some things he is doing need to be changed IMO....
There is no "savior" for this situation. Not Gillispie, not Pitino, Not Rupp, NOONE. We as a fan base got what we asked for. Now live with it. Let the rebuilding process go on. Before you rebuild sometimes you have to tear it down to the foundation. This is the breaking down period. Its not for the faint of heart.

Don't forget that the losses of Meeks and Jasper haven't helped. That is your best player and your best point gaurd gone.

Again. Anybody that thought any coach was going to step right in here and have a national power this year was simply blind or naive. Its going to take some time. UK fans don't mind giving money, they sure don't mind giving an opinion, but they do not have the patience to give a little bit of time. Everything is right now. Ridiculous.
Uncle Buck Wrote:I've watched every game, I a member of catspause.com and several fans like myself agree on that site that he doesn't play defense. Porter is a scrappy kid, hustles, listens, and he must work his tail off in practice to log all the minutes he does. A lot of fans think that we need a bunch of hamburger boys to compete and that's not the case. We need players that are going to play coaches way, if they don't like it then don't come. No one should worship a player because of how many stars the ranking services gave him coming out of high school. I like BCG and think he will do well here. He has done wonders every where he has been because the kids listen and respond to his instructions. What has Legion done that was so great this season besides make a couple of baskets on Saturday? Nothing that I can recall. If he doesn't want to do things the way coach wants it done, or doesn't want to be here then leave. I guess he finally got that through his head and is moving on.

Porter hustles, he may listen, but does he get the job done? No. Regardless of how hard he practices, listens, hustles, he's been given an opportunity to step up and he hasn't. Every game I've watched Legion play so far this season, he has contributed in some way or another. He was a developing player that was only getting better each game, and I for one, think BCG done him wrong. No, I don't care if anything happened in practices or whatever, you still don't scold a player for doing all the right things on the floor, you commend him. Read on ukathletics.com, BCG states that he was a fine young man who had a lot of potential as a player and a student. Obviously, he wasn't one of those hamburger thugs you were referring to. What has Porter done that was so great this season besides turn the ball over every other possession? I can recall making stupid decisions, blowing wide open shots, shall I continue? Let's face it guys, Legion is a solid player and I really don't blame him for being upset. Like Freak said, I also think it's premature to say that BCG will be a complete failure. But, with his outside of the court antics that are taking place here in Lexington, Legion transferring, and several others reporting to follow lead, I'm becoming impatient and have found myself wanting some answers......quick.
Here's some interesting stats to show how much Porter's hard work has paid off:

As of http://www.ukathletics.com/stats/2007_08...m#TEAM.LDR

In 20.5 minutes a game, a total of 6 games, Porter is averaging a whopping 1.7 points a game. That brings his total to 10 whole points in 6 games this season playing 20.5 minutes!!!! That's absolutely terrible. Along with that, he is 3 of 15 from the field and has only made 3 total shots against powerhouse programs such as Liberty, Stony Brook, Central Arkansas, and Texas Southern. How will he fair against teams in the SEC, or here on out for that matter? Let's all do the math.....
Its obvious some of you guys have never, ever coached anything before.

If you do not play kids who work hard and set kids who don't you my win some games but you will not win the ones that mean anything.

From all the reading, Legions mom called every single day saying something to the coach. He was going to be a cancer.
NEXT Wrote:Its obvious some of you guys have never, ever coached anything before.

If you do not play kids who work hard and set kids who don't you my win some games but you will not win the ones that mean anything.

From all the reading, Legions mom called every single day saying something to the coach. He was going to be a cancer.

Does Legions mom suit up for the Cats night in and night out? Legion is a freshman! Give the kid a break, and how do you know he doesn't work hard in practice? Are you there? Every time I've watched him play, he plays just as hard as anyone on the floor. This is the University of Kentucky, not a high school team. You play who gets the job done....
Porter is out there to play defense, not score points. He has played exceptional defense every game he has played in. I don't expect him to score 10+ a game and neither should anybody else. When we get Jasper and Meeks back, if we get em back, we will be fine. Until then the other players are gonna have to step it up, that includes EVERYONE. Billy G plays Porter and Coury because the play harder than anybody else. Not one person on here can say that they would be fine with ridin the bench knowin that they practice and play harder than anybody else on the floor. That's why they are bein rewarded with so much PT. Should they get as many minutes as they are gettin, no, but that's Clyde's call not ours.
I like Billy G as a recruiter and he seems to be a great guy. I do have some problems with some of his game decisions. There was one game a few weeks back that Mark Coury had 3 turnovers in 4 trips down the floor and he just kept him in the game. I just wanted to jump through the television screen and pull him out myself. When it comes to Alex Legion from what I have read it sounds likes his mother wanted him to leave more than he wanted to leave. He should stick around and tough it out ,but I guess he is going to do what mom says.
bevinsville_bomber Wrote:Here's some interesting stats to show how much Porter's hard work has paid off:

As of http://www.ukathletics.com/stats/2007_08...m#TEAM.LDR

In 20.5 minutes a game, a total of 6 games, Porter is averaging a whopping 1.7 points a game. That brings his total to 10 whole points in 6 games this season playing 20.5 minutes!!!! That's absolutely terrible. Along with that, he is 3 of 15 from the field and has only made 3 total shots against powerhouse programs such as Liberty, Stony Brook, Central Arkansas, and Texas Southern. How will he fair against teams in the SEC, or here on out for that matter? Let's all do the math.....
Nice statistics considering he's only taken 15 shots all year. Porter isn't out there because he can shoot. Point guards aren't supposed to be great shooters, although it helps. Porter protects the ball, and runs the team steadily at the point position. Should Legion have played more? Yes, IMO, he should have. But there's obviously something we all don't know that took place behind the scenes. There is more that goes on than what we see on game day.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:Nice statistics considering he's only taken 15 shots all year. Porter isn't out there because he can shoot. Point guards aren't supposed to be great shooters, although it helps. Porter protects the ball, and runs the team steadily at the point position. Should Legion have played more? Yes, IMO, he should have. But there's obviously something we all don't know that took place behind the scenes. There is more that goes on than what we see on game day.

That's the problem. I don't think it's a matter of that he can't shoot, it's just he won't shoot. 15 shots in 123 minutes is unacceptable. Just because he plays solid defense and runs the point doesn't mean he can't look to score. Who knows what happens behind the scenes? But like Alfus stated earlier, BCG humiliated Legion for doing nothing wrong....

I think we all have to deal with it now. With Legion gone, we have no one else. I just hope Porter contributes and I'll be behind him 100%. The rest of the season is going to be interesting....
I can over look this one, but if if keeps up Billy's recruiting may not be as good because word gets out that players don't like him.
I say goodbye to Legion with a small smile on my face, just like when coach sat Bradley the other night for acting like he did. I think Legion was thinking he was as good as Patterson and found out he was not as good as he tought. As a former coach i would play 15 Porters, then kids that think they are better then the system the coach runs. Good luck in the week Big 10 Legion
Where exactly did Legion transfer to?
FreakNasty Wrote:He's not a savior, he's not an amazing coach... he's a solid coach who has done a nice job rebuilding poor programs.....

I hate to tell ya but UK is a Poor Program that needs rebuilding NOW.